1,158 players in a single battle.

Zorvan

Sure, there's a difference. It's why Planetside 2 is an actual mmo, while SWtOR is a singleplayer game with multiplayer capabilities.

As stated, these are clearly two different games with very different goals in mind. If this game was designed with PvP and RvR in mind then you would have a valid argument. However it wasn't, meaning you don't.

That's more like "noob battle for babies" tbh.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/29/5356498/eve-online-battle-sees-200000-dollars-worth-of-spaceships-destroyed

Edited by Halinalle

Ok ok sooo I have a question about something thats been said a lot the last few weeks here...

This game does not cater to PVPers, nor does it cater to Raiders since apparently both of those aspects are only used by a "small percentage" of players....

So seriously what the **** is everyone doing in the game............................................................

Are you really here to just play the story on each class then you stick around for no reason? Are there really people who play all the time doing no endgame other than say dailies and FPs? I would just like to know since the two MAJOR parts of the game, according to many diff posts, are very "small percentages" of the playerbase...

Now, noone in this thread said that raiders are a small percentage but it has been said, many many many times in the last few weeks.. most of it deleted because it dealt in some way with the ravagers exploit..

I'm just trying to understand what it is the majority of players do in this game (the ones i know... raid... probably 100+ accounts, some pvp as well) because I see a whole lot of conflicting information...

This game is very story oriented with a lot of time and effort put into the class storylines/cinematics... It has group content in the form of FPs (dungeons...) from level 10-60, it has endgame content in the form of harder (HM) FPs, as well as 8/16 man raids (9 diff raids atm), and pvp in 8v8 warzones as well as 4v4 arenas (ranked or unranked)... That it.. thats the game.. while I feel it is sorta a single player game with multiplayer elements.. it really isnt, its an MMORPG.....

Unless the game is specifically designed around PvP.

It all boils down to target audience, and PvPers are not a large target audience of this game.

I disagree...There are many Star wars fans that are pvp players...I'm one of them as were several of the guilds that I was in that came and went. They came because they wanted to play "star WARS" pvp and left because they could only play "star poorly supported instanced skirmishes."

Many stuck it out for a while because they were hoping it would get better, but instead of any support we mostly got 8v8 taken away and the option to do more scripted raiding crap.

I would leave too if there were another star wars game with more pvp that wasn't built on an engine based on a potato, but sadly none exists. SO.... in summary, please kill your scripted monsters the same way everytime and continue to practice clicking the buttons in the same order while fighting a target dummy and let us vent..

The upside for you and all of your can't compete against thinking enemies ilk is I am sure once Battlefront comes out you won't hear from any of us dirty pvp'ers anymore.

It says my account is cancelled. I get to post for another week still, isn't it beautiful?

I think it says a lot about you that you'd willingly spend your time trying to antagonize people just because they like something you don't. I can't say whether its because you are still building your self confidence or if you haven't outgrown the discomfort of having people disagree with your opinions, but either way its sort of immature.

When you grow up, you'll likely look back at behavior like this and be embarrassed.

Sure, there's a difference. It's why Planetside 2 is an actual mmo, while SWtOR is a singleplayer game with multiplayer capabilities.

And again, that is no reflection on what is better. You prefer a game that is more open in the MMO sense than SWTOR. Nothing wrong with that. Many others prefer SWTOR the way it is now. Also nothing wrong with that. Neither is better nor worse than the other.

Ok ok sooo I have a question about something thats been said a lot the last few weeks here...

This game does not cater to PVPers, nor does it cater to Raiders since apparently both of those aspects are only used by a "small percentage" of players....

So seriously what the **** is everyone doing in the game............................................................

Are you really here to just play the story on each class then you stick around for no reason? Are there really people who play all the time doing no endgame other than say dailies and FPs? I would just like to know since the two MAJOR parts of the game, according to many diff posts, are very "small percentages" of the playerbase...

Now, noone in this thread said that raiders are a small percentage but it has been said, many many many times in the last few weeks.. most of it deleted because it dealt in some way with the ravagers exploit..

I'm just trying to understand what it is the majority of players do in this game (the ones i know... raid... probably 100+ accounts, some pvp as well) because I see a whole lot of conflicting information...

This game is very story oriented with a lot of time and effort put into the class storylines/cinematics... It has group content in the form of FPs (dungeons...) from level 10-60, it has endgame content in the form of harder (HM) FPs, as well as 8/16 man raids (9 diff raids atm), and pvp in 8v8 warzones as well as 4v4 arenas (ranked or unranked)... That it.. thats the game.. while I feel it is sorta a single player game with multiplayer elements.. it really isnt, its an MMORPG.....

I play the PvE content of the game. I have popped into PvP on occasion, including GSF, but it by no means holds any real interest for me. I do not have any character that is max level and therefore do no participate in raids. I will eventually run through the SM of the Ops since that is PvE content, but beyond that have great fun playing the leveling game with numerous characters and re-running flashpoints, planetary heroics, and the PvE space missions.

How's that 100vs100 in SWtOR coming along, EAware?

How's the storytelling in PS2? How much player customization is there? Can my wife and I casually play together while cats bug us about food, or while we bake cookies?

No?

So, why would I care about PS2's massive, impersonal, shallow zergfest? I mean, it sounds great if you're just looking for an FPS where there are hordes of targets around, but considering the experiences I've had with Internet randoms in 16v16 TF2 maps, anything more than 40v40 is just a gigantic brainless brawl. SWTOR is not made to be a huge pointless battle simulator. Its a story-driven MMORPG. Complaining that it doesn't have the features or performance of an FPS is like complaining that a yacht doesn't have the performance or features of a formula 1 car.

(And yet again for the novice developers out there: Its the RPG part that kills the chance of 100v100 battles. Also, EA bought the unfinished Hero Engine because it was unfinished. They finished it. Its now the SWTOR engine.)

I disagree...There are many Star wars fans that are pvp players...I'm one of them as were several of the guilds that I was in that came and went. They came because they wanted to play "star WARS" pvp and left because they could only play "star poorly supported instanced skirmishes."

Many stuck it out for a while because they were hoping it would get better, but instead of any support we mostly got 8v8 taken away and the option to do more scripted raiding crap.

I would leave too if there were another star wars game with more pvp that wasn't built on an engine based on a potato, but sadly none exists. SO.... in summary, please kill your scripted monsters the same way everytime and continue to practice clicking the buttons in the same order while fighting a target dummy and let us vent..

The upside for you and all of your can't compete against thinking enemies ilk is I am sure once Battlefront comes out you won't hear from any of us dirty pvp'ers anymore.

You misunderstand.

I never said PvPers are not a valid group of players within the game. But they are not the target audience of this game. Self evident in what you just said:

but instead of any support we mostly got 8v8 taken away and the option to do more scripted raiding crap.

This game is not intended to draw a large PvP audience, it is there however to provide those so inclined with that option.

SO.... in summary, please kill your scripted monsters the same way everytime and continue to practice clicking the buttons in the same order while fighting a target dummy and let us vent..

I myself PvP more than anything else in this game. You can even check my post history into PvP related topics and class discussions if you wish. Every ability I have is keybound and the only time I spend at the target dummy is to play around with various rotations/specs, and to help guildies fine tune their own.

Again, more unfounded assumptions... see above ^

I too will likely be gone once The Repopulation and Battlefront drop. But I may stick around just to play with my guild.

Good for you for making unfounded assumptions though!! :jawa_angel:

Harsh, but fairly accurate. :(

Harsh, but probably accurate. :D

Edited by Transcendent

Nice try, but no cookie.

By the definition, SWTOR is an MMO, it doesn't matter if you think so or not.

I know people who consider GTA V a strictly multiplayer game because they pretty much never touched the singleplayer part.

Doesn't mean it's true.

The definition of a games type is not up to you.

I doubt it, since in Battlefront, you'll actually need player skill to do well.

You won't be able to win battles just because you have the best gear. If you can't hit the enemy, it doesn't matter what guns you've unlocked.

Oh and pressing 1-10 in the right order won't get you far either.

So no, you'll either be there complaining or here complaining... Like always.

EVE Online has much bigger battles, I recall the largest is in the 4000 range.

Yeah, EvE exceeded 4000 players in a single battle, but it relied heavily on Time Dilation (TiDi), meaning that a battle that would likely last 40 minutes in real time is stretched out over 6 hours or longer so that the servers can keep everything in order and the like.

Not to sell EvE short. A battle on EvE can span an entire solar system, with ships millions of kilometers apart (or just a few hundred meters apart) from each other. There are tens of thousands of missiles in flight, tens of thousands of drones, tens of thousands of various projectiles, energy beams, on and on, all moving and scoring hits and misses. The server has to keep track off all of that, AND keep track of the rest of the galaxy where there ain't anything happening, except for a few hundred pirate attacks on hapless freighters, scattered here and there throughout the galaxy - Not part of the battle, but happening real time along with the big battle).

PlanetSide had their 1156 player event in real time with full fps, but it was all on one planet (I think). While it may be so, that they had 1156 players on scene, battling it out - without TiDi, I wonder how much lag, and other problems the players experienced? Still, it was quite an accomplishment to achieve. I'm sure the servers didn't have to keep track of the rest of the galaxy, either (or did it?)

Edited by WorldSmasher

This did make me laugh, you really think a battle where everyone is at single figures FPS is a good thing!

live with the fact that we don't have the current technology to have these large battles and especially in an MMO, you only have to look at the Lag fest that's ESO.

I get the feeling that a SWTOR developer took the OPs lunch money at some point, :)

So much rage.

OP, if you don't like SWTOR then leave. Really, it is as easy as that. The only thing your QQ post will do for you is lower your self-esteem and destroy whatever dignity you had before you decided to write this QQ post.

And then the idea of a PvP zone was slaughtered, deboned, skinned and deleted from all records in existence. It's such a *********** shame that this game is made on the Hero engine. Holy hell I want to punch a seal because of that decision.

Hero Engine?

i heard that mentioned before. Could someone explain what that is and why is it important?

Hero Engine?

i heard that mentioned before. Could someone explain what that is and why is it important?

It's not just the engine--which is what the game is built on--it's that BioWare used an unfinished version of the engine because EA wanted a holiday launch despite the game not being ready. It was rushed out and not only were there issues, but because it is not the finished version there is no support from the original developer.

The Repopulation or some such is built on the same engine but supported by the developer and will likely see much, much better optimization as such. To put things in perspective, this game runs on I believe Direct X 9, which is years and years "out of date". The engine determines what the game can and can't do; just like a Ford Taurus' block will never be capable of pushing a car to 200+ mph without a major overhaul requiring it to be off the road for quite some time, this game will never be capable of true optimization as it currently stands and correcting that or changing engines would require the game to be down for the neighborhood of a year most likely, which means a lot of lost revenue.

FF ARR managed this but they basically had no choice but to do so. Likely EAWare will milk every dollar they can out of this thing and be satisfied with that. As the next installment of the Star Wars films is about to drop this year there's no way they'd take this game down with all the traffic already being generated because of it and all that will be driven in with the upcoming release.

Others who are more savvy can step in, but that's a concise way to put it I think.

Edited by Prototypemind

1,000+ people in one area? No thanks for me--my game will most likely crash since my PC won't be able to take it. In another MMO I play the monster event there always causes me to lag so badly that I can barely move, and then the eventual game freeze would come forcing me to log out. So if this would happen to me in SWTOR, then I'd rather beg off. Edited by Jarcen