Guide on Ancient Threat, the new Yavin 4 world boss

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On both Kills we had 2 Tanks, 6 Heals and 16 DPS. Additionally, we had 2 Heals in a second Group.

actually 1 (lvl 58) heal and 1 dps in another "group"

We have outranged the Force Whisper(tank-debuff) lel :rak_03:

And ye, like Erschinger told... dont dispel Force Leech(?) to early. We think, there is some kind of stack mechanism with the dispell

Edited by Heidy

So I watched the stream from Seven Stuck and figured out the remaining mechanics:

• Both Force Whisper and Force Leech can be cleansed by healers.
  • Force Leech: Used every 10 seconds by the boss, it applies a stack of Force Leech to the 4 closest players to the boss. If there are less than 4 players in combat, less than 4 stacks are applied. Therefore, melee DPS and tanks will get the Force Leech debuff first.
  • If a Force Leech debuff is cleansed, those stacks plus one additional stack will get spread randomly to the group. For example, when a mDPS with 6 stacks is dispelled, the group will receive 7 additional stacks. So if you want to cleanse, you should cleanse as late as possible so that you don't receive too many unnecessary stacks. The advantage of cleansing is that the stacks will be spread more evenly (to rDPS and healers) and not just on the melee DPS.
  • When the Force Whisper debuff expires, it does not fall off, it just reduces by one stack. For example, if a tank with 7 Force Whisper stacks lets the debuff run out, he will now be at 6 stacks. I have yet to confirm if this will also silence the group, or if the silence only happens when the last stack falls off and the debuff is removed completely.
  • Seven Stuck got around the Force Whisper mechanic by having the tanks walk away from the group (more than 60 meters) and then use Force Cloak or Force Shroud. Since the slience is only applied to players in range, they can safely lose stacks without silencing the group.
  • The same may be possible for the Force Leech stacks. So instead of being cleansed, a mDPS could just walk away from the group, get cleansed there, and walk back. Cleansing while away from the group, as well as dying, is the only way to remove the number of Force Leech stacks your group has, and theoretically allows a group to get around the soft enrage mechanic and carry on the fight indefinitely, even with less DPS.

I'll adjust the guide accordingly.

Edited by Jerba

So we tried the boss again tonight and I learned a few more things:

• Some players were reporting that Explosive Force hit them for 12k, but I was not able to reproduce this in our tries yet because we only got 2k to 3k hits. Today, I found out that this always happens when you don't have the Ancient Tome debuff. Therefore, make sure that everyone has this buff, even the healers. In Seven Stuck's tries, some of their players did not have the buff. My guess is that as long as 16 players have to buff, the boss won't notice if individual players don't have the buff, not sure. But until we know for sure, I'd recommend that everyone gets the buff.
  • In addition, some player reported that they discovered a harpoon mechanic. This also always happens when players don't have the Ancient Tome buff. Therefore, make sure that everyone gets the buff so that you are not pulled in.
  • I can now confirm that you can safely lose the Force Whisper stacks while inside the group. Therefore, I currently recommend the following tactic: MT tanks boss until ~3 stacks. Then OT taunts and keeps the boss. At the same time, MT stays inside the group and lets his stacks expire until he is back at 1 stack. Then MT taunts while OT lets his stacks expire etc. I still have to do more testing to refine the tactic, especially how to handle the Force Leech stacks, but this is definitely an alternative tactic to having the tanks go out of range, and probably more along the lines of what the developers intended.

Here are some new video recordings if you want to watch us wipe: http://www.twitch.tv/theeho/c/5942223 and http://www.twitch.tv/theeho/c/5942765.

Is there anything like Nightmare Pilgrim that prevents multiple kills on the same day?

No, there is no lockout on the boss. Of course, you always need to farm the buffs again and the Tatooine buff only lasts 3 hours as well, but other than that, you can kill him as often as you want.

Edited by Jerba

So we killed it tonight in Zorz with 18 people total (we had 20 in group, but 2 were still on Tatooine when we killed it b/c didn't have Tome). Our comp was 2 Tanks, 7 Heals and 9 DPS (4 melee 5 ranged). It took us 6 pulls but it may be my least favorite boss in my 3 years playing this game. Some things we noticed, outside of the fact that close and personal on a PT DPS is stupidly strong on that fight, is that it's just hectic. Really hectic. Clusterf*** of the century. Edited by justinplainview

I'm going to echo that. The mechanics just weren't fun. If I had a choice, probably would never do that boss again. thank god it didn't drop something like an orb or an amulet.

And to put it into prospective for those ready to try it, I was one of the 7 healers and on the 6 pulls we made, not once did I drop below 95% effective, so the damage outgoing is formidable.

In short, it just wasn't fun.

Edited by Joran-Koon

We tried it tonight and we had red circles all over the raid. Should it be that way? On Seven Stuck Vodeo most of the cirles was on tanks.

Just make sure you have at least 8 melees, or assign certain ranges/healers with good movement skills to always stand next to the boss, that way you won't get too many red circles in the range camp.

I got the Tatooine buff a couple of weeks ago and it only lasted one hour. I couldn't see how it would be possible to finish the mission including the spirits and tomes in one hour. Has that been changed?

are you talking about the "ancient knowledge" buff or did you kill some pvp vendor?

I killed three PVP vendors and a couple of womp rat mobs to get the ancient tome to spawn. Is there another way?

You can click the Ancient Tome straight away; the PvP vendors and the womprat are not related to the Ancient Tome or the Yavin 4 world boss. While the devs at one time had big plans for the Outlaw's Den, now the Ancient Tome immediately spawns when the instance opens. There are like two or three locations where it can spawn, so just make sure to check every position for it. So far, I've always seen the Tome on either the crate above the circular arena, or on a ledge inside the domed house with the GTN terminal.

• 7 months later...
So we tried the boss again tonight and I learned a few more things:

• I can now confirm that you can safely lose the Force Whisper stacks while inside the group. Therefore, I currently recommend the following tactic: MT tanks boss until ~3 stacks. Then OT taunts and keeps the boss. At the same time, MT stays inside the group and lets his stacks expire until he is back at 1 stack. Then MT taunts while OT lets his stacks expire etc. I still have to do more testing to refine the tactic, especially how to handle the Force Leech stacks, but this is definitely an alternative tactic to having the tanks go out of range, and probably more along the lines of what the developers intended.

Here are some new video recordings if you want to watch us wipe: http://www.twitch.tv/theeho/c/5942223 and http://www.twitch.tv/theeho/c/5942765.

So I was watching your second video there and (can't tell for sure because of the language..) it appears you were not silenced when the Force Whisper went from 3 down to 2 and from 2 down to 1... But, I pulled this with a group just a little bit ago and was trying the initial strat where tank would get to ~7 run away and cleanse.. but we were still getting silenced when they were losing it. They were say ~45m away and at one point did not get it cleansed but rather just let it tick down and lost one stack.. If you have a full kill video of tanks losing 1 stack and no silence (or just a good long pull with a real group) that would be great because I don't think it was working like that. It's such a chaotic fight it really is hard to tell, but I feel that you shouldn't have to run way far away to lose these debuffs.. doesn't seem like the real way to do it (like you said..).

EDIT: I take this back.. I found a kill video that clearly shows tanks in range, losing stacks (not all of them..) and not silencing... I don't know what was going on when we were pulling him then.. perhaps someone was messing up and cleansing or something.

Edited by GopherLuV

• 4 months later...
Has anyone done this since 4.0? Any new thoughts? I was thinking about this the other day and wondering if level sync makes this any different.

Yes, I heard some players were doing it. You are level 62 now but the boss is still very difficult. It's a lot easier on Imperial side because the medcenter is closer when you die.

So you definitely need a full group, very good healers and need to do the mechanics correctly.

Yes, I heard some players were doing it. You are level 62 now but the boss is still very difficult. It's a lot easier on Imperial side because the medcenter is closer when you die.

So you definitely need a full group, very good healers and need to do the mechanics correctly.

Lol? This boss is as boring as it gets. Kite him in a circle around your range camp with at least 9-10 in close proximity so no red circles in the camp. Have people run out of the area at 6-8 stacks to completely reset it and it's freeloot.

• 7 months later...
and in the blazes do you get to go past the blasted Boss ? not defeat it, just not get attacked by it just as you enter the zone for your own business

See this thread, its a bug introduced with game update 4.7

The Ancients Threat hoovers everything without the Tatooines Ancient Tome, that comes near to it.

While that is accurate, its not supposed to be spawned all the time, only when someone clicks on the altar (buffed properly or not), hence the bug scheduled to be fixed in 4.7.1 on September 7.

and in the blazes do you get to go past the blasted Boss ? not defeat it, just not get attacked by it just as you enter the zone for your own business

Have a friend on a merc or PT get the buff from the ancient tome on Tatooine, pull the boss with hydraulics on and kite it for a few seconds, while you click what you need to click. Or simply wait for the fix. Which may, or may not work :D