The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New Yavin companion armor - Bioware just artificially extending game play?

Screaming_Ziva

This past Tuesday I reached legend rank in the Yavin reputation line so I, and I think a lot of other people, was rejoicing that I wouldn't have to go back to Yavin any time soon. Sure enough, with this coming Tuesday's update the companion gear boxes will be attached to the Yavin weekly.

I can't help but think this was planned all along to make sure people keep coming back to Yavin. I don't see any other reason why this gear wouldn't have been released with 3.0.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What use is there for lv.60 Companion armor? I know in my case the 172 armor my companions have is already sufficient for Yavin 4. It's not like there's any max level content that'll require higher rating armor for my companion?

This past Tuesday I reached legend rank in the Yavin reputation line so I, and I think a lot of other people, was rejoicing that I wouldn't have to go back to Yavin any time soon. Sure enough, with this coming Tuesday's update the companion gear boxes will be attached to the Yavin weekly.

I can't help but think this was planned all along to make sure people keep coming back to Yavin. I don't see any other reason why this gear wouldn't have been released with 3.0.

It is more a symptom of a small dev team under pressure from a large corporation. IMHO

Edited by VulgarMercurius

What use is there for lv.60 Companion armor? I know in my case the 172 armor my companions have is already sufficient for Yavin 4. It's not like there's any max level content that'll require higher rating armor for my companion?

Soloing/2-manning 4-man content :p

Edited by Loc_n_lol

ah well i prefer to customize my comps looks so i probably wont have much use for these.

Same. ;)

I may give a chance to the implants and earpieces, provided the stats are the right ones; same with off-hands and main-hands. These armor sets may also be handy for companions such as Treek, seeing it matters little what they're wearing.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Same. ;)

I may give a chance to the implants and earpieces, provided the stats are the right ones; same with off-hands and main-hands. These armor sets may also be handy for companions such as Treek, seeing it matters little what they're wearing.

ah yes those might be worth keeping. i'm not legend yet so it's all good :p

I find that they are giving level 60 companion armour away like that a little strange as come level 60 there is little content that includes companions. I know you can find a use for them but there doesn't seem to be much designed for solo play. Not to mention given how little activity has been seen on the companion front that BW has remembered they were a massive part of the game at one point.

That aside this is likely to significantly reduce the end of game gear grind as I will no longer have to grind out coms or op drops to outfit my companions. Which really makes me wonder what is the development teams vision for end game content, currently it seems to be using group finder and 16 man HM ops gear grind. But if there is a move to giving level 60 gear out to companions will we see more solo or 2+ end game content?

Optimization! There are people like me that love to do that on main companions.

For instance, I spent several Doonium and Midlithe Crystals to craft the best mods/enhancements for my Jaesa :D

I'm happy camper about it. If you don't want it then don't do the dailies. Pretty simple. Just a note: I was doing dailies before this. This just sweetens the pot.

Wow you were doing dailies before this and you'll do them after this, such inspired loyalty and dedication to daily grinding, you must be so proud.

If they decided to make rolling updates to look for weeklies, that would be great. Cannot imagine how one would view this as bad.

It would make doing weeklies a but more fun and offer a more unique way for "unlocking" new items. was very effective for a time period with the strongholds and decorations.

Edited by undiess

95% Accuracy with 192 rated gear?

Yeah, that's REALLY bad itemization. I think I might actually use a 172 Rishi modification mix to balance it out.

Don't hold me to it, but I don't think that it's modifiable. Looking at the screenshots from TorCommunity they look like the weapons do, unmodifiable save for a dye module.