Lightwhip aka "Lightsabre whip"

Icykill_

This is why we can't have nice things. Instead of shutting the hell up, all you get are a bunch of naysayers who think they know what's best for everyone. You don't have to buy it if you don't like it ya know?!

while i cant find the post, im sure a good while back Bioware said no to the idea anyway.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that a completely different fighting style? I mean, how do you parry or deflect with a whip? I could see this on something like sents/maras, though, or sages who don't use their mainhand anyway.

yes, but just picture this scenario.

an flashpoint of all sages gets up to the first boss, they all activate their light sabers. first 3 stand tall, straight, and a symbol of justice, the 4th person activates his lightsaber and the blade falls limply to the ground. The rest stop, turn and suggest maybe taking a few minutes to rest, while others are wondering if its his first boss and maybe just a bit of anxiety.

yes, but just picture this scenario.

an flashpoint of all sages gets up to the first boss, they all activate their light sabers. first 3 stand tall, straight, and a symbol of justice, the 4th person activates his lightsaber and the blade falls limply to the ground. The rest stop, turn and suggest maybe taking a few minutes to rest, while others are wondering if its his first boss and maybe just a bit of anxiety.

O.o.......clever DOH lol!

Even craptastic Korean crapmo's can do whip combat. Scarlet Blade
Swordsman Online https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE--MBIRHpw

There was also an old PvP mmo that had a whip using class back in the day but I can't remember the damn name.

No one is saying it's an issue of "can it be done?", it's an issue of "is the work that would go into making it happen going to generate enough Return on Investment to justify doing it?"

Putting out an item that uses the same animations as an existing one (a Sword or Axe instead of a Lightsaber for example) has a relatively low cost compared to developing the new animations for a completely different item type, so the expected return on such a new item type would have to be that much higher to justify doing it.

Opinion wise I don't like the idea. The TNG episode where the Ferengi were introduced the Ferengi had energy whip weapons. The powers that be scrapped that in the future because they realized it looked kind of stupid.

I agree with that....it looked stupid in TNG and it will in SW.

Lightsabers would look stupid in tng also (the ferengi whip-blasters made 0 sense anyways). The only thing that makes them not stupid is that they can be used to deflect blaster fire if you know "the force" which wouldn't go over well in star trek even tho it has "Q".

This is why we can't have nice things. Instead of shutting the hell up, all you get are a bunch of naysayers who think they know what's best for everyone. You don't have to buy it if you don't like it ya know?!

Think of it like this then: I'd much rather they spend their time working on a dozen other things than trying to add a lightwhip.

OT: No thanks to lighwhips... one of the dumbest EU inventions ever.

Concur. And considering the Yuuzhan Vong, that's saying something.

I've actually written essays on the stupidity of whips as weapons in RPGs. Lightwhips try to be a little better, but the end result is the same: A whip is a weapon that kills idiots. Anyone smarter than an idiot will not be terribly threatened. This is why no army in a thousand years (or likely ever) has ever issued whips to soldiers for reasons other than the management of animals. SEAL teams don't use whips. There are no champion whip warriors who threaten anything more threatening than cattle.

It is, in the end, pretty far out onto the precipice of "Rule of Cool". In a universe where I can believe that flashy saber moves are possible due to the fighters' ability to see into the future, I still find light whips to be far too silly to justify. They only really work in comics where you don't have to see the actual physics involved.

Lightsabers would look stupid in tng also (the ferengi whip-blasters made 0 sense anyways). The only thing that makes them not stupid is that they can be used to deflect blaster fire if you know "the force" which wouldn't go over well in star trek even tho it has "Q".

They couldn't possibly look as stupid as "lightwhips". Granted that's only my opinion, but whips just ain't that cool unless you're Indiana Jones....or Catwoman....and at least they use real whips.

Think of it like this then: I'd much rather they spend their time working on a dozen other things than trying to add a lightwhip.

Agreed.

Concur. And considering the Yuuzhan Vong, that's saying something.

I've actually written essays on the stupidity of whips as weapons in RPGs. Lightwhips try to be a little better, but the end result is the same: A whip is a weapon that kills idiots. Anyone smarter than an idiot will not be terribly threatened. This is why no army in a thousand years (or likely ever) has ever issued whips to soldiers for reasons other than the management of animals. SEAL teams don't use whips. There are no champion whip warriors who threaten anything more threatening than cattle.

It is, in the end, pretty far out onto the precipice of "Rule of Cool". In a universe where I can believe that flashy saber moves are possible due to the fighters' ability to see into the future, I still find light whips to be far too silly to justify. They only really work in comics where you don't have to see the actual physics involved.

Back in the 70's and 80's Iron Man had an enemy in the comics called "Whiplash". (yeah, its a dumb name for a dumb villain. I think they changed it to "Blacklash" in the 80s which is even dumber) While I loved reading comics I had a hard time believing that someone with the abilities of Iron Man could be threatened by a guy with a whip. The oldest, dumbest cop on the force wouldn't be threatened by a guy with a whip. Hell, I'm a retired disabled veteran with back problems and I'm not scared of a guy with a whip. I'd just shoot him. If I had a freaking projected energy weapon blaster I'd shoot him a bunch of times just for having a whip.

The rule of cool can't cover everything. It really doesn't cover whips. Where would it stop? Light maces? Light flails? As someone posted earlier 'light boomerangs'? (which would be redundant....saber throw brings the saber right back to you. ) What class would get them? The new Galactic Slaver class?

No thanks.

Bio please introduce a "Lightwhip" aka "Lightsabre whip"

This is a legitimate Starwars weapon - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightwhip

Adding a Lightwhip would add something new and exciting

What do you guys think?

Pretty sure the animation on that whip, would not be what you're expecting or imagining. If implemented it would look like a whip the comes with an action figure from Kenner or Mattel. Wouldn't move, have no life.

This guy gets it. Edited by Falensawino

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread. But it would never work, since everything is based on WoW classes, and you can't swap professions/weapons.

People that use blasters are stuck with pistols, and vice versa. Bad implementation on BioWare's end.

And to the hordes of people saying that lighwhips are unpractical, and work only in comics.

I'll say it's more practical than the cross guard saber.

Edited by DarkEcIipse

And to the hordes of people saying that lighwhips are unpractical, and work only in comics.

That's not a terribly convincing video. This has been discussed many times before and its not the offensive capability of a lightwhip that's really in question. The bigger issue is simple practicality to the attacker. If the lightwhip is capable of slicing through flesh and metal like a lightsaber, then simply dragging across the ground would result in a series of gouges of varying depth. But that's just inconvenient in comparison to the danger to the user. Leather whips work because all the force is released when the whip is far from the user. Lightwhips wouldn't have that bonus. Every time the whip curled back on the weilder, it would be a cutting hit. Sure, you might wreck your opponents, but over time, you'd tear yourself up as well.

Now, we can use the same argument we use for the saberstaff --ie: the Force lets you predict danger and move to avoid it-- but the the end of the whip involves some pretty chaotic movement. You might be able to control/predict the striking point, but after that... it starts getting tricky. Even if you have the ability to see where its going to go and move to avoid it, you end up jumping around like a crazy person avoiding your own weapon.

In the end, the only real way to make a lightwhip an efficient weapon is to assume that the Force is used to control every single motion of the whip. That's a reasonable solution, but another force user with similar levels of control could just as easily use a dozen things in the environment to overwhelm the lightwhip user.

So... Lightwhips. They weren't really thought up as a great new weapon. They were based on Rule of Cool. Now, Star Wars has a lot of that, but I find lightwhips to stretch it a bit beyond the normal levels.

I still stand by my assertion that the Return on Investment wouldn't justify this ever being implemented, but I disagree with people who are saying that the concept is just "too dumb" to begin with. It's not like Disney didn't

Star Wars runs on Rule of Cool, and while everyone's got their own 'breaking point' for suspension of disbelief, I just don't see this as crossing a line.

Edited by DarthDymond

I thought you were branmakmuffin for a second reading that XD

Edited by Vallerine

Currently we keep getting all these different colour crystals and sabre handles in cartel packs... But really they are getting a bit stale and boring

What do you guys think?

i would love to see this. i know during beta and at launch many asked about it.

if they need to see how to do it, city of heroes/villain did it well.

Currently we keep getting all these different colour crystals and sabre handles in cartel packs... But really they are getting a bit stale and boring

What do you guys think?

Yeah they will add it to the game just as soon as they come out with the new class :rolleyes:

"Yeah never will happen" :rolleyes:

That's not a terribly convincing video. This has been discussed many times before and its not the offensive capability of a lightwhip that's really in question. The bigger issue is simple practicality to the attacker. If the lightwhip is capable of slicing through flesh and metal like a lightsaber, then simply dragging across the ground would result in a series of gouges of varying depth. But that's just inconvenient in comparison to the danger to the user. Leather whips work because all the force is released when the whip is far from the user. Lightwhips wouldn't have that bonus. Every time the whip curled back on the weilder, it would be a cutting hit. Sure, you might wreck your opponents, but over time, you'd tear yourself up as well.

Now, we can use the same argument we use for the saberstaff --ie: the Force lets you predict danger and move to avoid it-- but the the end of the whip involves some pretty chaotic movement. You might be able to control/predict the striking point, but after that... it starts getting tricky. Even if you have the ability to see where its going to go and move to avoid it, you end up jumping around like a crazy person avoiding your own weapon.

In the end, the only real way to make a lightwhip an efficient weapon is to assume that the Force is used to control every single motion of the whip. That's a reasonable solution, but another force user with similar levels of control could just as easily use a dozen things in the environment to overwhelm the lightwhip user.

So... Lightwhips. They weren't really thought up as a great new weapon. They were based on Rule of Cool. Now, Star Wars has a lot of that, but I find lightwhips to stretch it a bit beyond the normal levels.

All valid, points. But is it that hard to accept them as believable weapons? I mean look at the new EP 7 lightsaber. It use to be that when two lightsabers hit each other with momentum they would briefly lock together, not slide down.

And yes, not the best video if you're looking for special effects (but it still gives you an idea of how they work). I would watch Prevail instead. It wouldn't surprise me if the lightwhip has different settings that controls the length of the blade and how much cutting power it can create. So it might be as lethal as a lightsaber, and non-lethal like a shock whip.

They would probably be most effective at creating distance. Like the saberpikes, effective to create distance (not to be used in closed areas).

Edited by DarkEcIipse