The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Goals for Addressing Server Concerns

EricMusco

I remember some people were saying they'd log in and there would be maybe 2 people max on the fleet and their daily for pvp would take them a month. They'd be lucky to get 1 queue pop a night.

I was there when that happened on my launch server. I can't even remember the name of it now, sadly. And that was when there were no transfers --- none, at all, at any price --- because it took them a year to figure out how to do them. I wound up rerolling on Harbinger because it was the most (only) populated U.S. server. Luckily it wound up being one of the survivors of the ensuing server merge slaughter.

Edited by Heezdedjim

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should just do something like The Secret World...non-unique first/last names, unique "middle" name that is the actual user id of the char (what you use to chat, send mail, report, what you see in groou/op frames, etc.).

Default the first name to the current character name (special characters allowed). Default user name to current character name if no special characters present (blank otherwise). Leave last name blank (and able to be filled in). Keep Legacy name as is (although forcing it to be unique would be nice).

Give every char a free rename (first and midde/user) within the first seven days of logging in (no fun to be forced to pick something with little warning on first login).

Add display options for the different name types -- RPers could just see the first/last name, for example.

As a bonus, make separate settings for different instance type (fleet, open world pve, open world pvp, flashpoints, ops etc.) -- it may be nice to see everybody's full names when RPing or just hanging out, but some people might want less clutter / better performance for combat-intense situations.

I was there when that happened on my launch server. I can't even remember the name of it now, sadly. And that was when there were no transfers --- none, at all, at any price --- because it took them a year to figure out how to do them. I wound up rerolling on Harbinger because it was the most (only) populated U.S. server. Luckily it wound up being one of the survivors of the ensuing server merge slaughter.

I was fortunate. I rolled on Jedi Covenant at launch and I refused to roll on a lower pop server like my friends did to avoid server queues. I knew it would die down in a week like every other game so I never roll onto new servers. That's just a death sentence lol. Luckily JC stayed populated throughout the entire thing.

Default the first name to the current character name (special characters allowed). Default user name to current character name if no special characters present (blank otherwise). Leave last name blank (and able to be filled in). Keep Legacy name as is (although forcing it to be unique would be nice).

I think it is easier to just leave the first and Legacy as is, but allow multiple Legacy Names per account, and open up the ID slot that is either autofilled as number or has to be new unique User Name, rather than the Toon's name. Because Legacy name now is some sort of a mix of two, and it just doesn't work well when you go to multiple alts that may or may not be a part of the same family with the same last Legacy name.

Edited by DomiSotto

I see what you are saying LyraineAlei... but honestly, if in order to move forward we have to create a system that works for you specifically, It'll never get done.

I admire your RP skills, but that shouldn't hold up improvements for the rest of the population.

It took me a few weeks to write out the full relationship chart on paper, and I have to update it because of 12x Exp, but thank you.

*cough* The current system doesn't suit what I would like ideally, but, I was just using mine as an extreme example that on-paper, uses many or most of my characters across four servers.

I stand by my suggestion (not in this thread) regarding the name issue, that would then make the Megaserver thing a non issue, at least partly. Allowing spaces in names. Say legacy name is Ansel, but I want to play Lyraine Alei on that server. Current system requires Lyraine-alei or Lyraine'alei to indicate the two names. Allowing spaces would let me play in Ansel Legacy as Lyraine Alei of Ansel Legacy.

Of course, with the mega-server idea, there would be a shift in Legacy names as well. *checks current list* Alei-Boeirn-Giaious-Luxson-Darkwaters-Orinas-Izab-Nyroa-Esire--- aww, too many characters for the text box. XD

Meh, Legacy name changes wouldn't be the worse part of a massive server merge under my spaces-allowed idea.

I just don't want @username or anything that would allow someone to know I'm online regardless of what character I'm playing as. (Which is why I'd like an 'Add to Legacy Friends list' option, but not an 'Add Legacy to Friends list')

I just don't want @username or anything that would allow someone to know I'm online regardless of what character I'm playing as. (Which is why I'd like an 'Add to Legacy Friends list' option, but not an 'Add Legacy to Friends list')

Not too long after legacy was first introduced BW accidentally let some code go live that sent chat messages to any online reps of a legacy. So if I had John and Mike in my legacy and you sent a chat to John but Mike was logged in, the message would go to Mike and the person sending the tell would see that the /tell to John went to Mike. This was fixed with an apology and an assurance that it was not intended and wouldn't happen again. Included was a lengthy enough explanation that it was clear that BW understood the privacy issue.

Sooo.... about the "enhance/create social systems".....are we going to see that nifty bug from a while back when someone would whisper a player on one character even though they were logged in on another character and still got the PM? That would sure be awesome to get once again :jawa_biggrin: Edited by Clogski

Yes I was there Rubalt Crystal on my own for weeks on a few planets or maybe with 3-7 people.

They laughed with the second "server merge" as we where getting Megaservers as many an article will tell you (not that the people who have come back realise that , sorry but yeah doh) . So now it's super mega-crossserver-battle-greetech. Anyways learn your in-between history folks ( If you dare take a break , he he ) :)

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Edited by BadOrb

They need to segregate the servers for play style. I'm a PVE player, and I refuse to be gank fodder for some bored pvp lunatics. There is no way IN HELL, I'm going to put myself through that again. I don't believe I'm alone in this.

Also, our character's names should not be taken away. I do not approve of numbers or @ symbols or any such non-sense. I pay my sub, I've been here since before launch, and I want my names. I do not want all of my toons to be named after my account name or any other such thing.

I always get a bit concerned when Bioware and it's staff start "thinking" because ultimately it's going to end up being a nightmare and a pain in the ***.

I love this game, and I would rather not leave, but like I said, I want my character's individuality, as it is right now, and they'd better not even think of making me play with pvp players. :mad:

A nice pvp player is one I don't have to co-exist/play with on the same server.

Edited by Lunafox

If i have to change my character name again i'm done with this game.

Same here. That would be the final nail in the coffin, character names.

I will say this though: I have less issue with having the change my character names than there not being good names allowed in the first place. I am against a megaserver because I know the result would be disastrous thanks to a poor design decision in the very beginning.

They need to segregate the servers for play style. I'm a PVE player, and I refuse to be gank fodder for some bored pvp lunatics. There is no way IN HELL, I'm going to put myself through that again. I don't believe I'm alone in this.

Also, our character's names should not be taken away. I do not approve of numbers or @ symbols or any such non-sense. I pay my sub, I've been here since before launch, and I want my names. I do not want all of my toons to be named after my account name or any other such thing.

I always get a bit concerned when Bioware and it's staff start "thinking" because ultimately it's going to end up being a nightmare and a pain in the ***.

I love this game, and I would rather not leave, but like I said, I want my character's individuality, as it is right now, and they'd better not even think of making me play with pvp players. :mad:

Calm down kid......"BETTERNOTMAKEMEBLAHBLAHBLAHORIQUIT".....

I always laugh at players who are sooo afraid of the big bad boogeyman pvp players. Its a non issue, so you dont have to worry about getting owned.

YOU KEEP ON SHOWING THOSE NPC'S WHOSE BOSS!!!!!!!

I always laugh at players who are sooo afraid of the big bad boogeyman pvp players. Its a non issue, so you dont have to worry about getting owned.

I lol'd.

I promise we PvPers won't ever show our faces around you. Or if we do, we won't talk about PvP. Much.

[*]The continued ability to define your chosen server playstyle, PvE, PvP, RP, RP-PvP.

It's never made sense to me that I play on a PvE server yet PvP is available. If I wanted to play PvP, I would have connected to the PvP server. Also, the absolute most frustrating thing for me is that I have put hundreds of dollars into this game-as-a-service and my PvE experience is being affected by changes made based on PvP feedback.

My main (Jedi Knight - Combat Sentinel) has had the spec completely eviscerated. What is even worse is that we were mislead as paying (or not) customers in that we were told our Precision Slash window was being increased from 4.5 seconds to 6.0 seconds. We later came to find out it was reduced by 1.5 seconds (not increased) to 3.0 seconds. I didn't ask for that. I didn't pay for it, either. I don't like being mislead and lied to. I don't appreciate dishonesty and disrespect. If you were honest and respectful, you wouldn't have done it in the first place. No apology necessary as it would be insincere and lack any meaning whatsoever. Don't count on anymore money from me; not that it makes any difference to Bioware/EA. I'm just one person, not 20% of your entire consumer base and source of revenue.

We appreciate your patience as we work towards these goals.

I beg to differ. You look at the total revenue coming in corresponding with the number of subscriptions and contrast that with those being cancelled. As long as the difference between those two results in a ~95% retention level, you pretty much do whatever you like but continue to blow smoke up the *** of your customers and insult their intelligence.

"Quality, value, style, service, selection, convenience

Economy, savings, performance, experience, hospitality

Low rates, friendly service, name brands, easy terms

Affordable prices, money-back guarantee.

Free installation, free admission, free appraisal, free alterations,

Free delivery, free estimates, free home trial, and free parking.

No cash? No problem! No kidding! No fuss, no muss,

No risk, no obligation, no red tape, no down payment,

No entry fee, no hidden charges, no purchase necessary,

No one will call on you, no payments or interest till September.

Limited time only, though, so act now, order today, send no money,

Offer good while supplies last, two to a customer, each item sold separately,

Batteries not included, mileage may vary, all sales are final,

Allow six weeks for delivery, some items not available,

Some assembly required, some restrictions may apply.

So come on in for a free demonstration and a free consultation

with our friendly, professional staff. Our experienced and

knowledgeable sales representatives will help you make a

selection that's just right for you and just right for your budget.

And say, don't forget to pick up your free gift: a classic deluxe

custom designer luxury prestige high-quality premium select

gourmet pocket pencil sharpener. Yours for the asking,

no purchase necessary. It's our way of saying thank you.

And if you act now, we'll include an extra added free complimentary

bonus gift at no cost to you: a classic deluxe custom designer

luxury prestige high-quality premium select gourmet combination

key ring, magnifying glass, and garden hose, in a genuine

imitation leather-style carrying case with authentic vinyl trim.

Yours for the asking, no purchase necessary. It's our way of

saying thank you.

Actually, it's our way of saying 'Bend over just a little farther

so we can stick this big advertising dick up your *** a little bit

deeper, a little bit deeper, a little bit DEEPER, you miserable

no-good ******* *********** consumer!'

- George Carlin

No one has suggested forcing pvp rule sets on non pvp'ers and no one has suggested that the name on your character's nameplate be changed. Nothing like that was hinted at in Eric's post which, vague as it was, could only be said to imply the opposite of your concerns.

I know I don't speak for everyone on this, but please don't put "Full time" PvPers in with the dedicated PvE'ers. Many of us don't like to be harassed buy PvPers looking to bully us into a fight we are destined to lose. I Don't like traveling around Oricon Blasting AoE damage just to have a PvPer come out of stealth and I inadvertently attack them. Now I have to return to a rest area for 5 min and wait for my PvP flag to fall off...

Don't get me wrong I like PvP, but only on my terms. That is why I am on a PvE server. I enjoy the Warzones, I dislike open world PvP and I hate Gankers, troll's and bullies. The guys who are flagged and just follow you everywhere you go for 15-20 min get on my nerves. If you combine all servers into one big Mega server then this is going to happen more often. Most of the PvE crowd leave and you will be left with mostly just your PvPers...

Then again SWTOR Panders to the PvP community an awful lot...

I beg to differ. You look at the total revenue coming in corresponding with the number of subscriptions and contrast that with those being cancelled. As long as the difference between those two results in a ~95% retention level, you pretty much do whatever you like but continue to blow smoke up the *** of your customers and insult their intelligence.

I am a long time SWTOR defender, I love this game and I really love playing it, but I can't agree more with this statement.

I didn't ask for my PvE Experience to be ruined by Changes made to classes AS A WHOLE just to benefit QQing PvPers crying about balance. You want class balance, FPS's have PERFECT balance. PvP in a FPS is ALL PLAYER SKILL, no need to worry about one ability being stronger than another because if you have the skill then you get the win, plain and simple. If you want pure balance and for player skill to be determining factor of a win then play a game that focuses on pure player skill. This is an MMORPG, it is supposed to promote teamwork and using the strengths of one class to balance the weaknesses of another. PvE'ers HAVE to learn this to be successful in Ops.

I played CoD, Halo etc for years and had a great time going against other players. PvP in SWTOR leans heavily on you working as a team using the strengths of each class to succeed. PvPers don't really want to work as a team, they want

How about make bolster cause every player to have the exact same HP, their abilities all do the exact same amount of damage/heals and everyone is exactly equal. When you leave the WZ the PvP affect goes away and you get all your PvE abilities returned to normal?

But as I've said before, this game panders to it's PvP crowd more and more with each patch. So we are more likely to see the game go to a more PvP balanced model and PvE will just have to adapt or leave.

So you enjoy bullying and picking on folks who don't enjoy the same play style as you? That is what makes you the kind of player that PvE players dispise. I spent 20 years in the Army experiencing real life Person vs Person (not Player vs Player), I chose not to relive that experience in my video game. Who are you to judge that choice?

Edited by RiVaN_

I know I don't speak for everyone on this, but please don't put "Full time" PvPers in with the dedicated PvE'ers. Many of us don't like to be harassed buy PvPers looking to bully us into a fight we are destined to lose. I Don't like traveling around Oricon Blasting AoE damage just to have a PvPer come out of stealth and I inadvertently attack them. Now I have to return to a rest area for 5 min and wait for my PvP flag to fall off...

Don't get me wrong I like PvP, but only on my terms. That is why I am on a PvE server. I enjoy the Warzones, I dislike open world PvP and I hate Gankers, troll's and bullies. The guys who are flagged and just follow you everywhere you go for 15-20 min get on my nerves. If you combine all servers into one big Mega server then this is going to happen more often. Most of the PvE crowd leave and you will be left with mostly just your PvPers...

Then again SWTOR Panders to the PvP community an awful lot...

I am a long time SWTOR defender, I love this game and I really love playing it, but I can't agree more with this statement.

I didn't ask for my PvE Experience to be ruined by Changes made to classes AS A WHOLE just to benefit QQing PvPers crying about balance. You want class balance, FPS's have PERFECT balance. PvP in a FPS is ALL PLAYER SKILL, no need to worry about one ability being stronger than another because if you have the skill then you get the win, plain and simple. If you want pure balance and for player skill to be determining factor of a win then play a game that focuses on pure player skill. This is an MMORPG, it is supposed to promote teamwork and using the strengths of one class to balance the weaknesses of another. PvE'ers HAVE to learn this to be successful in Ops.

I played CoD, Halo etc for years and had a great time going against other players. PvP in SWTOR leans heavily on you working as a team using the strengths of each class to succeed. PvPers don't really want to work as a team, they want

How about make bolster cause every player to have the exact same HP, their abilities all do the exact same amount of damage/heals and everyone is exactly equal. When you leave the WZ the PvP affect goes away and you get all your PvE abilities returned to normal?

But as I've said before, this game panders to it's PvP crowd more and more with each patch. So we are more likely to see the game go to a more PvP balanced model and PvE will just have to adapt or leave.

Pfffffy. Please. Before making asinine statements like your last one, show me how many PVP maps were put in in 3.0. How about GSF is still broken. There is no owpvp. This update is as prlve heavy as it gets, and you just got even more. Class changes were made for both. You don't pay for changes, you pay for the service which had been provided. Any changes they make are within the EULA. They aren't going to call and ask you. They do what's best for the majority.

Edited by AmericanNate

an example is Zenimax with elder scrolls online. They seperated the factions and the game is soooo boring.

You dont feel the war, you dont see the war... there is no war... Its pve and a specific area for pvp...

its simple enough... if the server is flaged PVP, those who love pve only stay away from it.

Its not a good thing to seperate pve from pvp... it destroyes the biggest essense of the game. Those who dont comply with it, just move along.

I personally I am not a pvp player at all, but I couldnt play an mmo like elder scrolls online style.. That you never see the enemy, you never feel the reason of its existanse (the war between alliances)...but only if I log into a specific spot of the map... This is stupid

as for the server queues, the answer is one, but ea wants to avoid it... cross server

Edited by Oyranos

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Tranquility

Yeah, I know it's technically server cluster.

I didn't mean in a literal sense. My point was, BW called their server mergers "megaservers" but really the population on the servers were still small for MMO's and they were just calling them megaservers as a PR stunt because in reality 98% of their servers were completely empty. At that point of time, real megaservers would have been doing 3 servers, but that would have been a PR nightmare probably.

Edited by Raansu

Honestly I think we can do away with RP-PVP server and just merge them with PVP servers, just because I'm pretty sure most people RP mainly in guild and if they RP in gen chat a new chat setting could be made for RP to keep it seperate. I don't know how warzones work on RP-PVP servers but I'm pretty sure they turn it off in them just for simplicity sake.

Freighter flyby was changed because it was op in pve - look it up. Very few if any were complaining about it in pvp. The notion that every balance change or playstyle change forced on a player is because devs are making changes to mollify pvpers is a very ignorant one in this game. But if you want a game without any pvp or pvp-focused changes you should probably go elsewhere: a very significant percentage of abilities are only used/useful in pvp (looking at old or new skill trees) - devs have always had it in mind.

Freighter flyby was changed because it was op in pve - look it up. Very few if any were complaining about it in pvp. The notion that every balance change or playstyle change forced on a player is because devs are making changes to mollify pvpers is a very ignorant one in this game. But if you want a game without any pvp or pvp-focused changes you should probably go elsewhere: a very significant percentage of abilities are only used/useful in pvp (looking at old or new skill trees) - devs have always had it in mind.

The **** does this have to do with this thread?

Pfffffy. Please. Before making asinine statements like your last one, show me how many PVP maps were put in in 3.0. How about GSF is still broken. There is no owpvp. This update is as prlve heavy as it gets, and you just got even more. Class changes were made for both. You don't pay for changes, you pay for the service which had been provided. Any changes they make are within the EULA. They aren't going to call and ask you. They do what's best for the majority.

Sage AoE heal nerfed because it was to powerful in PvP, Scoundrel healers nerfed because they were to powerful in PvP. Shadow/Assassin tanks nerfed because they were too powerful in PvP. All of these changes to "balance" PvP have caused some really nasty side effects in PvE.

Shaodow tanks were nerfed to the point of uselessness and stayed that way for nearly a year. PUG group leaders would boot folks for trying to do Group Finder as a Shadow/Sin tank.

Scoundrel healers are AoE bait in Ops now since their best heals have to be cast and have a longer cast time.

You don't have to get more maps for the focus to be on you. Much of what has been done to balance and change the way abilities work has been only benefited PvP and brought you closer to class balance and equality. This PvP "fairness" has hurt PvE.

Disciplines were created so to help "balance" the classes for PvP sake and make further balancing easier. Now that things are more "Fair" in PvP, PvE has major issues. New PvP gear and talents cause you to have more HP, do more damage and cast stronger heals in a WZ. For PvE we have to get top level gear just to get our Damage and Heals BACK to where they were Pre 3.0, even though everyone's HP has increased, we have longer cooldowns on interrupts and big hitting abilities and the new end game material does more damage.

An 8 man team is no longer able (no one, not even the best gamers) able to defeat NiM mode Denova.... An Op we are 10 levels above. Why? Because interrupts were nerfed due to players being able to stop other players from getting their big hit abilities off to often in PvP. Now an 8 man team doesn't have enough interrupts to defeat the droids of the FIRST PHASE before they enrage and wipe the entire team.

HM Draxus is tougher now because an 8 man team just barely has the interrupts they need to keep from being overwhelmed by the mass affliction cast by the Corruptors.

Fights that should be easier because of better gear, higher stats and harder hitting abilities are more difficult because we needed to "balance" PvP....

Edited by RiVaN_