Goals for Addressing Server Concerns

EricMusco

Sounds like mega server.... :eek:

Preferably not. This along with the WoW naming convention would surely destroy what little sense there is to character names left. If we could have proper long names with spaces, I wouldn't oppose a megaserver merge at all. I want my characters to have a name, not a phone number.

Edited by Karkais

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• To address issues of queue times across all types of content, both PvP and PvE.
  • To rethink how we approach “server separation.”
  • Remain sensitive to things like character identity.
  • The continued ability to define your chosen server playstyle, PvE, PvP, RP, RP-PvP.
  • We also would love to use this opportunity to enhance/create social systems. It’s a big ole’ galaxy and we want it to feel that way.

1.) Mega server since obviously cross server is out of the question apparently.

2.) At this point does it really matter? Outside of the occasional ganking no one really does owpvp. Just have one US server and one EU server. Server separation is an outdated design due to hardware/network limitations of the late 90's early 2000's.

Hardware today is fully capable of handling large data on a server cluster. Even ESO was smart enough to realize this and just had a single server from launch. WoW has basically removed server separation with their cross realm technology. I know most of it is a PR thing and people seem to still think "less is bad" but thats crap imo.

3.) Easy. Treat legacy names as surnames, now people wont have to lose their main names, problem solved.

4.)Who cares at this point? Do you really need an RP tag on a server to RP? A pvp tag to pve? Hell POT5 is a pvp server and I swear there's more pve players on that server than pvpers. Half the time they get pissy when you kill them in open world in daily areas and they have zero pvp gear on (because you totally need top tier raiding gear to complete dailies right? :rolleyes:)

You could just as easily tag the open areas of pvp/pve/rp instances but the fleet and other areas would obviously not be instanced in such a way.

5.) You could start by letting people in their housing zones see the fleet chat.

Hey look at that, I used common sense and did your job for free BW.

Edited by Raansu

I hope they understand that the low quality low quantity PvP content is why the Q is empty.

You can make the greatest Q in the world, but if the destination is mediocre it won't matter.

The quality isn't the problem, the population is. No one will queue ranked if they know only 3 or 4 teams will be in the queue. You have a single server with a much larger pool then there is going to be more middle range skilled teams to queue along with making the rating system function.

SWtOR said "the need to train/re-train abilities in 3.0 is intended and therefore we are not planning on making any changes at this time" then not only went back on that 2 days later, they said they had been discussing doing so for a long time. The fact they said no cross-server in a dev-post 18 months ago means about as much to what's going on in SWtOR currently as a dev-post from WoW does.

are you trolling or living in denial? SWTOR is based on a beta version of the Hero Engine, notorious for not doing cross server. The Hero Engine 2.0 is known for the megaserver concept. So what do you really think is more likely, cross server on a beta engine, or a migration in a huge patch to the updated engine that includes putting us all on a mega server?

I'm voting that they are more likely to move to Hero 2.0 and do the mega server concept. Why don't you look up some evidence of where Hero beta engine supports cross server?

I didn't realize that reading a post for what it says instead of what I want it to say is trolling. They said it would be difficult and time consuming, but not that it couldn't be done. They will not be porting the game to Hero 2.0, ever. It's not going to happen and it's wishful thinking if you think they will.

Edited by MillionsKNives

Hey folks,

At our fan event in Las Vegas, one of the things we stated is that we are working to address the concerns of things like queue times and uneven server populations and that we would provide an update before the end of the year. As you might expect we're not ready to tell you exactly what we are working on yet, but we did want to go into what our goals are for next year.

• To address issues of queue times across all types of content, both PvP and PvE.
  • The continued ability to define your chosen server playstyle, PvE, PvP, RP, RP-PvP.
  • We also would love to use this opportunity to enhance/create social systems. It’s a big ole’ galaxy and we want it to feel that way.

In the coming months we will be releasing more details. We appreciate your patience as we work towards these goals.

-eric

Completely leaving too much out or too much for us to assume. If the merge the servers even worse because of the Northwest United states reputation for being slow and laggy while always assuming it's the end user

They're going for the hardest solution, it's easy cross server, but they're stubborn.

I somehow doubt that cross server is the "easier" solution. Migrating to a single server takes a lot less work than coding the entire game around cross server.

I didn't realize that reading a post for what it says instead of what I want it to say is trolling. They said it would be difficult and time consuming, but not that it couldn't be done. They will not be porting the game to Hero 2.0, ever. It's not going to happen and it's wishful thinking if you think they will.

ah so you are trolling me. Thanks for clairifying. That or you actually went to google and got hurt by the truth.

9/10 btw cause you got a few responses, and that's rare for me cause I'm decent at spotting trolls, but not 10/10 cause you didn't even at least try to make up a legit source for yourself.

Completely leaving too much out or too much for us to assume.

The hilarious thing is that every time they mention this without saying anything of substance, it is going to generate about 10x the forum scandal as if they just came out and said something that is even loosely based on what they're considering. Even if all they said was, "It will be something like A, B, or C, depending on which one we can get working with the time and resources we have, unless we can't get any of those things to work, and then all bets are off," then at least we could be rid of the rampant speculation.

Edited by Heezdedjim

The hilarious thing is that every time they mention this without saying anything of substance, it is going to generate about 10x the forum scandal as if they just came out and said something that is even loosely based on what they're considering. Even if all they said was, "It will be something like A, B, or C, depending on which one we can get working with the time and resources we have, unless we can't get any of those things to work, and then all bets are off," then at least we could be rid of the rampant speculation.

Ya I wish they were a bit more open about their updates. FFXIV lead developer does a blog once a month and releases all kinds of new info in them, its pretty awesome. Wish more studios would do that with their games.

We know nothing more than we did except that merges are not off the table any more. And they're going to try to make everyone happy (keep your name, keep your "server type", but merges or something like them are incoming at some point within the next year...). It sounds like they are opening up their minds to a variety of ideas but to speculate on any particular one in any detail is pointless. I hope they run with x-faction. Edited by Savej

I completely agree. This is almost as bad as when they announced "no more skill trees" without describing what exactly would be coming in for (I think) two months before they started making the Discipline Threads. Sure, folks are still complaining, but at least we got to see what we're getting, or a decent idea as to the problem.

Hey, is it possible that the lag issue is yet another reason to remove bitraider?

Hey folks,

At our fan event in Las Vegas, one of the things we stated is that we are working to address the concerns of things like queue times and uneven server populations and that we would provide an update before the end of the year. As you might expect we're not ready to tell you exactly what we are working on yet, but we did want to go into what our goals are for next year.

In the coming months we will be releasing more details. We appreciate your patience as we work towards these goals.

-eric

so in other words you guys don't know a SINGLE thing about what to do, and how to fix it and how to address it so your just going to merge the servers again, and everyone is going to lose the names that we got back from the name purge /golfclap.

great job eric truly great job no wonder this game is in the toliet

Edited by Mrdann

Google, why would I use google when you provided your own source and it failed to corroborate what you said? If you can't even provide a good source for your own claim why would I?

The lazy is strong with this one. Takes effort to be enlightened. Google "Hero Engine", and don't forget to read.

Edited by Kalarie

The lazy is strong with this one. Takes effort to be enlightened. Google "Hero Engine", and don't forget to read.

Is that supposed to help you? I'm familiar with what the Hero Engine is and the state of it when they began work on SWTOR. Do you ever plan on making a point, or just tossing around vague ideas in hopes that I just accept it as truth.

Is that supposed to help you? I'm familiar with what the Hero Engine is and the state of it when they began work on SWTOR. Do you ever plan on making a point, or just tossing around vague ideas in hopes that I just accept it as truth.

Hope is only for the horses that drink when led to water.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=swtor+engine+can%27t+support+cross+server

there, i threw you a bone and even did a search for you. Take it slow and read. Or pretend none of the links are there. Your choice, as in all learning in life. Have a great day!

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=swtor+engine+can%27t+support+cross+server

there, i threw you a bone and even did a search for you. Take it slow and read. Or pretend none of the links are there. Your choice, as in all learning in life. Have a great day!

I'm not going to make your argument for you. You've provided nothing to back up your claims, and everything you've tried to provide has done the opposite. Nothing has ever been said by BioWare that they could not do cross server. They didn't want to. Your claim is false.

Fun fact: first link is a bunch of people saying that the engine has nothing to do with why they didn't implement cross server http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=751710

I'm not going to make your argument for you. You've provided nothing to back up your claims, and everything you've tried to provide has done the opposite. Nothing has ever been said by BioWare that they could not do cross server. They didn't want to. Your claim is false.

Fun fact: first link is a bunch of people saying that the engine has nothing to do with why they didn't implement cross server http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=751710

Denial in this case equates to a failure to read past the first link, which is a short thread where no one actually talks about the engine and coding with any degree of technicalities. Seriously man, if you see smoke do you deny a fire until you actually get burned too?

Can you come up with a legit reason that BW didn't do cross server ques? Do you really believe "They didn't want to"? If so, why do you believe that?

Hey Eric, I don't usually post to much on forums but I wanted to in this case. Too many Negative Nancys and Forum Trolls. I just want to say thank you for the update. I really do appreciate it. I like the more transparent philosophy you and your team are taking part in. This was really great to hear. I love hearing thoughts and ideas about things, even if the details are not all hashed out. Thanks again man and keep up the great work. :ph_good_post::) Edited by Zannderr
Typo