The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Commendations in 3.0

Brewski

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They like their credit sinks. It will stay.

I don't have an issue with the credit sinks at all. What I do have an issue with is not being able to play all the content like the weekly ops and not keep a majority of my commendations, instead we end up throwing them away with the low weekly caps.

I couldn't give a monkeys about the commendations being converted on the arrival of 3.0, doesn't bother me (not any different to 2.0...). I'm not asking for a raise on the weekly caps to 1000 or something stupid, just enough so I could do the weekly OPs on one toon without throwing commendations away.

The solution isn't what Eric hinted at somewhere else of lowering how quickly we can earn them either. God forbid that happens. I can't even be arsed to grind PvP gear fully due to the horrible setup for gaining commendations, so if that happens for PvE chances are i'm likely to debate not even bothering to do end game content when 3.0 hits.

***sigh ***

Don't people get it .. it's the nature of the game .. any MMO game. The cheap ones do it .. the most popular ones do it!

It's a form of stimulating the game itself. If that does not happen from time to time it will become stagnate. Like a big rut. ( BWT.. please note: a rut is nothing more than a grave with both ends kicked out).

Frustrating? Yes: to some degree. I've been there, done that, and have the "T" shirt (a figureprint actually) to prove it.

It is also something that no one will ever change. That is one of the reasons I prefer "moddable" gear. I also keep an eye out for stuff that I like better on the GTN... at any rate back to topic.

Just the same that will never change the manner in which the game is played. Major expansions always mean a change in gear of sorts. This particular update happens to be one of those types of changes/updates.

Soooo .... why the fuss?

Well i currently have 300 ultimates, after that i will have 0 which is wrong.

They should let me keep 300 ultimates and new comms should be super comms.

The gear you are bound to get with Basic comms, once 3.0 hits, is actually SUPERIOR to the one you can get now.

What's your problem again? :rolleyes:

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Right now, you have 300 comms that buy X.

After 3.0 hits, you will have 300 comms that buy exactly X.

Plus, any older "useless" comms you still have will also magically become the same kind of comm, and you'll be able to by X+more X.

Don't get hung up on the names.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

No, then keep ultimate comms for level 55, and make Super comms for level 60.

Problem solved.

/facepalm

That's the same thing, you're just calling it something different.

Actually, this way is better, because you (probably) get better gear for your comms than you do now, and all of your crappier comms (i.e., planetary, basic, and elite) will now all be bumped up to buy that gear too.

So there's two ways to take this:

1) You keep your coms and we get this supposed "Super" com. Your ultimates buy level 55 gear at 180 rating.

2) Your coms get converted into Basic coms. Basics now buy every gear from 9-58 with 58 gear being 180 rating or higher.

What this means is... nothing has changed. Your Ultimates would still be useless for level 60 gear. Unless you want me to believe that running 16m story mode operations at level 55 is worth the same work as doing hard mode operations at level 60, which is laughable.

What I am more curious about is how Bioware is going to handle all the pending/unclaimed quest rewards.

Due to Game Update 2.0: Scum and Villainy and Rise of the Hutt Cartel creating new versions or replacing missions (such as PvP, [DAILY], and [WEEKLY] missions), you may find that your Mission Log has been altered or that missions you had completed before the patch but did not turn in have been reset or cleared.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=621308

Seems a safe bet that the same thing will happen again, since they're once again revising comm rewards for different tiers of level 50+ dailies and weeklies, and might be making other changes to older content as well. Since they're again consolidating comms and everything will earn something different than what it does now (either in type or quantity), it is certain that quest versions will get bumped across the board, and "old" versions of these dailies and weeklies where you had incomplete quests or completed but "pending" rewards will be wiped.

Edited by Heezdedjim

Respectfully ... You earned "ultimates" not the new comms ... super comms ... super-duper expresso or any other type. If you want the new stuff ... then earn it like everyone else. You obviously are good at what you do. Use the other resources you have to continue to build on what you already have established.

Good post Brewski!

I wanted to explain exactly how the Commendation stuff will work in 3.0 as I know I still had some questions I was unsure of on the stream. Here is the basic layout of what will happen in 3.0.

• Planetary and Classic Commendations no longer exist. All current Planetary and Classic Commendations will become Basic.
  • All Elite and Ultimate Commendations that you have will become Basic Commendations. Elite and Ultimate Commendations still exist but you will need to earn them anew in 3.0.

I know there are a few followup questions; what will the cap be, is there a conversion rate, etc. We are still working out details like that in testing but as soon as we have it nailed down I will let you know!

-eric

Thank you Eric, you have really made my day.

So i guess this game will become level infinite, and all coms are useless.

:confused:

I don't think you understand how an MMO works. If you want a static game where all your gear and currency will forever be worth the same, you could play Skyrim or Mass Effect or any of the other single-player games that you think look neat. Meanwhile, MMOs will evolve with new content which invariably means new gear. If you don't want to be part of the race, nobody is forcing you, but you can't expect that your current gear will be relevant forever.

Good post Brewski!

I wanted to explain exactly how the Commendation stuff will work in 3.0 as I know I still had some questions I was unsure of on the stream. Here is the basic layout of what will happen in 3.0.

• Planetary and Classic Commendations no longer exist. All current Planetary and Classic Commendations will become Basic.
  • All Elite and Ultimate Commendations that you have will become Basic Commendations. Elite and Ultimate Commendations still exist but you will need to earn them anew in 3.0.

I know there are a few followup questions; what will the cap be, is there a conversion rate, etc. We are still working out details like that in testing but as soon as we have it nailed down I will let you know!

-eric

Thanks for the update Eric everything here is awesome news regarding comms . 3.0 in general sounds like a great expansion.

Edited by _NovaBlast_

I haven't seen anyone ask this so I will. What happens to the current ops (S&V, TfB, DP/DF etc) with the new levels of comms and gear? Will their difficulty and min gear requirements be increased to match the new 186 min gear level (perhaps lower for older ops like KC and KP). If not, level 55 ops will instantly be made obsolete. What about flashpoints? Opinions?

I haven't seen anyone ask this so I will. What happens to the current ops (S&V, TfB, DP/DF etc) with the new levels of comms and gear? Will their difficulty and min gear requirements be increased to match the new 186 min gear level (perhaps lower for older ops like KC and KP). If not, level 55 ops will instantly be made obsolete. What about flashpoints? Opinions?

That's kind of how these things work.

If they do like they did last time, the under level 60 operations will remain the same, they may change the gear, but they did not change the difficulty as there are still people who have never done them and some of these are an excellent place for them to start learning the operations.

Flashpoints remained the same, (gear may be changed) but under level 60 will probably have the same difficulty settings.

It seems likely to me that their difficulty and recommended rating will not change. in 2.0 TFB got an overhaul for 2 reasons: the first is that it did not already have a nightmare mode, while EC (the other possible candidate for an upgrade) did; the second is that it also fit in very well with the whole Dread Masters story line. EC was essentially the introduction of the Dread Masters for Republic players, but it already had its nightmare mode.

Going off this logic, DF and DP already have their nightmare modes, and the new story line is about Revan instead of the Dread Masters. There just seems to be no point to upgrading them.

As for them being instantly obsolete... yes, that will happen. EV, KP, and EC were in the same boat. It is also likely we will get a level 55 version of the "Classic Operations" weekly mission which would award coms for the current tier.

EDIT: However, I will still hold out hope for some kind of "reverse bolster" on older operations. Player gear reduction, enemy bolster, or something else that would make them more than just faceroll for people who are 10 levels above. Simply due to combat mechanics, a player 8 levels above the content would take no damage... this would be disappointing if it applied to operations as well.

Edited by ExiledDitto

My guess is that the lvl 55 ops will go the way of EC - obsolete except for Title/Mount/Decoration runs.

However, I do find it amusing that BioWare is moving some key tanking traits farther along the leveling tree so that vital things that we previously had pre-lvl 50 will now only be available after lvl 55. This will make it unfeasible to complete NiM lvl 55 ops at the intended lvl requirement, and thus indirectly increase their difficulty.

Edited by Gardimuer

Respectfully ... You earned "ultimates" not the new comms ... super comms ... super-duper expresso or any other type. If you want the new stuff ... then earn it like everyone else. You obviously are good at what you do. Use the other resources you have to continue to build on what you already have established.

No, being capped on Ultimates does not indicate a player is good at what they do, no more than being fully geared in 180s does. I personally know of players who are terrible, but manage to get carried through enough 16m SM ops to max their Ultimates every week on every toon.

For example, I know a player that was always complain-bragging about being capped, but who parsed 730 DPS on a 180-geared DPS toon on trash mobs in a 16m SM op.