Lots of juicy info from Unnamed SWTOR Podcast from NY Cantina Tour

Pietrastor

The answer is obvious: People want to experience the Hero high, instead of just seeing it through the telly or monitor.

You're not watching a Hero. You ARE the Hero. ;)

And yet when everyone is the hero you feel even less desirable than just doing your part, well unless you are 10 year old or younger (which is cute btw).

This is where BioWare totally failed, you can't have player heroes in MMO.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet when everyone is the hero you feel even less desirable than just doing your part, well unless you are 10 year old or younger (which is cute btw).

That's subjective.

I for one don't feel that way.

I don't feel this way either Deewe. There was an entire city full of folks that people considered heroes after Desert Storm, during the parade.

I think there is room for plenty of heroes, and I don't think that multiple heroes somehow cheapens the experience.

That's subjective.

I for one don't feel that way.

I don't feel this way either Deewe. There was an entire city full of folks that people considered heroes after Desert Storm, during the parade.

I think there is room for plenty of heroes, and I don't think that multiple heroes somehow cheapens the experience.

But don't you guys see, obviously that means:
you are 10 year old or younger (which is cute btw).
I mean clearly anyone who has a different perspective on the matter must be the developmental equivalent of a small child.

...well, either that or the poster was making an attempt to trivialize/marginalize the perspective of those who disagree with him/her, and I'm sure no one posting on the internet would ever do such a thing.:rolleyes:

Edited by DarthDymond

But don't you guys see, obviously that means:I mean clearly anyone who has a different perspective on the matter must be the developmental equivalent of a small child.

...well, either that or the poster was making an attempt to trivialize/marginalize the perspective of those who disagree with him/her, and I'm sure no one posting on the internet would ever do such a thing.:rolleyes:

Well, generally speaking, other than blocking my ability to play, I usually do not worry about what other players have or do....I only worry about my personal experience and behavior.

So I'm fine with being a hero among heroes.

Oh no! You might have to socialize with people!!!!!!

If you're that determined to play solo then go to youtube and watch the cut scenes.

You seem to think everyone is as gregarious as you are. You'd be amazed at how difficult and painful socializing can be for some people. It's not the same to go to youtube and watch, I've done this, so that I can see what happens in the fp's and ops I can't do. It's not the same. Even if I worked up the nerve to find other people, most of them want to space through everything, and I'm not the sort of person who wants to slow anyone down from their grind. I just want to do what I can, and take my time to watch it, and enjoy it.

All I wanted to say in this thread, was that I was happy that the game was doing more for solo/duo players. I supposed I should have expected the trouncing. :p

Some people just don't get it, that it's hard to be around other people, even online. :/

Edited by Lunafox

You seem to think everyone is as gregarious as you are. You'd be amazed at how difficult and painful socializing can be for some people. It's not the same to go to youtube and watch, I've done this, so that I can see what happens in the fp's and ops I can't do. It's not the same. Even if I worked up the nerve to find other people, most of them want to space through everything, and I'm not the sort of person who wants to slow anyone down from their grind. I just want to do what I can, and take my time to watch it, and enjoy it.

Some people just don't get it, that it's hard to be around other people, even online. :/

I imagine it may be a hard thing to admit having such feelings of anxiety, so thank you for speaking up on behalf of those in your situation -that's a nice, even brave, gesture on your part.

No one should make you feel bad about being in the position you're in with those concerns, but if having those anxieties is something that you find you aren't happy with and that you decide you want to work on, then I think you may find that the group content in an MMO may be one avenue to pursue that.

While you probably won't find a full guild of individuals in the same boat as you, I know there are many people and guilds out there in the MMO sphere who are welcoming and accommodating to those who are. Finding a guild in the first place would probably be a daunting task, but it sounds like you're comfortable enough to be open about your situation, so maybe sharing your position in the guild recruitment forums and asking about groups that are extremely casual/laid-back and interested primarily in story.

Finding a group like that, one that has people who will run these group content with you in a low-pressure environment, might be one way to ease into broadening your ability to be around other people, "even online". If that's a route you want to pursue.

...PUGs, on the other hand... yeah, probably not a good way to go :p

Edited by DarthDymond

All I wanted to say in this thread, was that I was happy that the game was doing more for solo/duo players. I supposed I should have expected the trouncing. :p

I kept entirely to myself throughout all of middle school and high school. I wasn't social at all and just going to school gave me pretty bad anxiety. Eventually I learned that I was being stupid. Its not hard to be around people. Its all in your head. I learned that as I got older that its incredibly silly to be that way and joining the military didn't hurt either. Some people are ******es, some arnt, whatever. Doesn't bother me anymore and it shouldn't bother you. Time to come out of the shell.

Edited by Raansu

I kept entirely to myself throughout all of middle school and high school. I wasn't social at all. Eventually I learned that I was being stupid. Its not hard to be around people. Its all in your head. I learned that as I got older that its incredibly silly to be that way. Some people are ******es, some arnt, whatever. Doesn't bother me anymore and it shouldn't bother you. Time to come out of the shell.

Raansu, telling others how they should play is a fools errand IMO. Your not selling the merits of group play IMO. In fact, your selling the detriments of it.

IMO your statements on group play only serve to demonstrate you do not understand what drives folks to play solo in MMOs. Until you understand that, you will likely not achieve the goal you are attempting to achieve.

Raansu, telling others how they should play is a fools errand IMO. Your not selling the merits of group play IMO. In fact, your selling the detriments of it.

IMO your statements on group play only serve to demonstrate you do not understand what drives folks to play solo in MMOs. Until you understand that, you will likely not achieve the goal you are attempting to achieve.

I understand exactly why. I just don't beat around the bush.

But don't you guys see, obviously that means:I mean clearly anyone who has a different perspective on the matter must be the developmental equivalent of a small child.

You read too much into that last sentence :)

But well, point is when trying too hard to make a player feel the hero and make him that much more a hero than anybody else, when in fact any other player is doing the exact same thing, really kills it.

You read too much into that last sentence :)

But well, point is when trying too hard to make a player feel the hero and make him that much more a hero than anybody else, when in fact any other player is doing the exact same thing, really kills it.

I really don't think they do that. You're the one who's misinterpreting it.

I really don't think they do that. You're the one who's misinterpreting it.

How many hands of the Emperor are there on your server?

How many winners of the great hunt?

Well there should be only one of each.

Not to mention all dialog putting an emphasis on your rank, skills, power and so on...

Only thing is they indeed ruins it by having peons asking to sweep the floor for them, but that was an easy one :)

Fairly sure there is not a single one. Unless of course...

You meant Emperor's Wrath.

If you wanna nitpick, do it right. ;)

Never counted.

There is only one of each, story wise.

The fact that numerous players experience the stories, with different characters, doesn't change that.

Not to mention all dialog putting an emphasis on your rank, skills, power and so on...

I am not even sure how that is related to anything.

Only thing is they indeed ruins it by having peons asking to sweep the floor for them, but that was an easy one :)

You are trying too hard. :)

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Only one, from your character's point of view. There are a ton of Sith Warriors, but you are the only Wrath. A ton of bounty hunters, but you are the only Grand Champion.

"not cross-server but way better"

been thinking what can be "better"

Would it be global character/legacy? You can logon to any server of your choice and the server will load the legacy/character data from the global database. Also nice by-product would be bye bye to 22 characters slots.

Edited by Banegio

I imagine it may be a hard thing to admit having such feelings of anxiety, so thank you for speaking up on behalf of those in your situation -that's a nice, even brave, gesture on your part.

No one should make you feel bad about being in the position you're in with those concerns, but if having those anxieties is something that you find you aren't happy with and that you decide you want to work on, then I think you may find that the group content in an MMO may be one avenue to pursue that.

While you probably won't find a full guild of individuals in the same boat as you, I know there are many people and guilds out there in the MMO sphere who are welcoming and accommodating to those who are. Finding a guild in the first place would probably be a daunting task, but it sounds like you're comfortable enough to be open about your situation, so maybe sharing your position in the guild recruitment forums and asking about groups that are extremely casual/laid-back and interested primarily in story.

Finding a group like that, one that has people who will run these group content with you in a low-pressure environment, might be one way to ease into broadening your ability to be around other people, "even online". If that's a route you want to pursue.

...PUGs, on the other hand... yeah, probably not a good way to go :p

You're right, it is a hard admission to make, and I'm thankful that there are people such as yourself that seem to understand. That feeling of being watched, judged and evaluated is ever present, and when you're an older person trying to succeed around younger people, whether its in a job, or a game, heightens that pressure of survival even more. Nothing hurts so much as being called slow, or stupid, or idiotic. Kids do it all the time, they think nothing of it, and normal people let it roll off their backs. I caught my son doing it, and I had to sit him down and explain things. He takes it a bit easier now on people who aren't doing as well as perhaps they ought to be. Maybe if they realized that the words drive people to tears, or to stop doing something that gives them joy, maybe they'd be a bit more sensitive, I don't know.

You have some good tips there. Playing games for me is a step, that's for sure. Talking on these forums for me is easier, because I feel like I have a fairly decent grasp on communication by writing, and I've come to see over time, the people who are civil. I wish it was as simple, as flicking a switch to correct the things we don't like about ourselves.

Anyways, I feel a bit self conscious going on about things, but I am very glad to hear that some things are going to be done to improve the quality of the solo player's game. I am quite excited about being able to see and experience things I haven't gotten to before.

Thanks for the understanding. :)

(and yeah, I wouldn't pug to save my life lol )

I understand exactly why. I just don't beat around the bush.

I think it's obvious you do not, and your posts stand in evidence IMO.

But naturally it doesn't matter what I think. After all, you don't need my approval. Poop in one hand, wishes in another, right?

Edited by LordArtemis

I prefer soloing most content in MMOs too. But not because of some social anxiety or anything, but because I like to take my time, watch my character in the cutscene and not have to share loot with anyone. Especially if that person who wins the roll isn't going to use the item, but sell it.

I DO do the operations in the game and when it comes to the Oricon/Forged Alliances stuff where I HAVE to do the operations or flashpoints to finish the stories, I do. It sucks I HAVE to, but I still do those.

But as I said, when I solo, I don't have to listen to some tool telling me to 'omgspacebarffs!' when I like watching the cutscene whether it's my first time or 22nd time. I enjoy being able to stop in the middle of fighting to go to the bathroom, or make a snack, or whatever without people getting all upset I had to afk for a minute or two.

Plus, and this is the BIG reason, I did the whole MUST BE IN GROUP OMG juuuuuust to make a level in Everquest. At least in Swtor I can level from 1-55 all by myself without having to wait for people to group with JUST to go from level 10-11 because otherwise it's unsoloable.

So, just because it's an MMO, doesn't mean you MUST play with others. Sure, it's nice, but sometimes it's way easier and better to solo. (Just not the operations or some of the flashpoints)

I solo. I haven't been in an active guild since release. I'm a huge proponent of BioWare actively developing their one unique aspect: story. And I'm perfectly fine with story content being available to those only in groups. Just as I would never get upset about raiders getting raiding gear in loot-centric games, I will not get upset about raiders getting raider narratives in a story-based game.

What drives me to play solo in an MMO is: to properly experience the story, the setting, etc. To be able to take everything in and to at my own pace.

I've seen a number of people, in these recent threads, saying "It's not THAT hard to get a group if you want to see the story...you should just try group play, you might like it...you just need to find nice people to group with" etc. But this misses the point. The story experience in a group, even the best group, is necessarily diluted. The dramatic impact is always much less than seeing the consistent choices, made by a single character, unfold.

I'm willing to play in groups, mostly for the sake of getting the rewards. And I do actually find it fun. I enjoy it. In fact, there's a unique kind of fun to it that you could never get from solo play.

But all that is beside the point. However much fun group play might be, by its nature it can't replace solo play. Story and group play don't mix, and I'm here for the story.

Togruta are a disappointment.

We already have Twi'leks and so to add a very Twi'lek looking species seems a waste. For while I support more species and purchased Cathar even though I have never and never intend to roll one I can't purchase a species made popular by being portrayed by a 14 year old padawane.

I do though hope more species are in coming and maybe a few of the more classic and less human options.

What drives me to play solo in an MMO is: to properly experience the story, the setting, etc. To be able to take everything in and to at my own pace.

I've seen a number of people, in these recent threads, saying "It's not THAT hard to get a group if you want to see the story...you should just try group play, you might like it...you just need to find nice people to group with" etc. But this misses the point. The story experience in a group, even the best group, is necessarily diluted. The dramatic impact is always much less than seeing the consistent choices, made by a single character, unfold.

I'm willing to play in groups, mostly for the sake of getting the rewards. And I do actually find it fun. I enjoy it. In fact, there's a unique kind of fun to it that you could never get from solo play.

But all that is beside the point. However much fun group play might be, by its nature it can't replace solo play. Story and group play don't mix, and I'm here for the story.

I totally agree with you there, but expecting all of the content to be soloable in a MMO is just an unrealistic (and somewhat silly) expectation IMO.

Nearly all of the group content is repeatable and you'll eventually get to see the dialogue for your preferred choices. That's the compromise one has to accept when starting to play any MMO IMO.

99.9% solo here as well. I am still in my first guild (and currently the leader) and will probably remain there pub side. Imp side I joined a guild with my imp toons and helped out, grped, donated creds, heck even bought the then leader a 2mil mount because they really wanted one. I log in one day to all my imp toons being kicked, no mail, nothing since then I said F it to any guilds that I dont personally own.

I will pug for anything I really want, like the hk droid for example back in the day. Other then that I avoid pugs and solo. I do pvp quite a bit and will duo with people I know from time to time but rarely.