The Scam/Not a Scam debate storyline

LyraineAlei

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. Try getting a man convicted because you "can tell he had bad intentions". It may be "obvious" in some cases, but there is no way of proving it (which is exactly what Eric said).

Right. I'm sure between the logs and everything they have access to, they can tell. I'm not saying they should, just that they should be able to determine quite well what the intent was. This isn't a court...there's no burden of proof they need to come up with, just reasonable suspicion.

I hope they simply address the UI. That's where this issue stems from...the poor sort options.

The onus is on us to police poor GTN behavior.

I would like to see sellers that over inflate or undercut their prices dramatically below cost on a consistent basis get censured by the playerbase. I personally keep a list of 24 sellers I do not do business with at all for this reason.

This is how the problem is solved. Punish those that engage in "unfair" practices on the GTN by not giving them your business.

Eventually most of those sellers will learn to fall in line and get with the program or perish.

As long as we're bringing up the McDonalds coffee case, what most people fail to follow up with is that the amount awarded to the plaintiff was significantly reduced by the judge in the final ruling and that the parties eventually settled out of court for an unknown amount that was apparently less than what the judge decreed, likely before an appeals court decided that the whole thing was just stupid and threw it out.

I can not believe we are going to pamper these fools, I have been scammed a few times but 'sigh'. let me hold your hand so I can help you cross the road. Next thing will be suing other players for hurting their 'feelings'. Man the hell up.

This is far from the first MMO I've been in where some people will dedicate massive amounts of their gaming time to the GTN or GTN equivalents. For some people, the GTN is a mini game all to itself. Far be it for me to discourage, or encourage a particular "play style" in an MMO. Games are supposed to be fun, and if someone is having fun playing the GTN, more power to them.

Lol I think that's the issue....some ppl are having waaay to much fun proving the fact that "a fool and his money are soon parted ".....or proving that "there's a sucker born every minute" :D

And the case was Liebeck Vs McDonald's Restaurants.

And technically, it wasn't exactly frivolous. The coffee at that time was kept at absurdly hot temperatures and the woman received severe 3rd degree burns when it was spilled in her lap.

The frivolity of the case wasn't really an issue until the case became the legal precedent for many other ridiculous and frivolous lawsuits. In the case of Mrs. Liebeck though, she was hurt very badly because the coffee was being kept at absurdly high temperatures though. It was everything the case came to represent for other cases that made it truly frivolous. And this was mostly due to the fact that McDonald's kept refusing to settle the case for an amount that would cover the medical costs Mrs. Liebeck had from the incident. This left the issue of a settlement amount entirely up to the jury, and the jurors chose to award her a sum of money that made the case seem frivolous. So much so that the judge even stepped in and reduced the amount the jurors tried to give Mrs. Liebeck.

Scammers find weaknesses and exploit them. The poor GTN UI is exploitable.

PVP greifers find weaknesses and exploit them. The poor pvp flagging mechanic is exploitable. See what I did there? :rolleyes:

Unless you practice double standards you cant say the argument is not applicable. If people tricking people who dont want to pvp into accidentally flagging is acceptable to you, then people listing prices in such a way so as to appear cheaper to people who can't be bothered to read properly should also be acceptable.

We should absolutely remove ALL responsibility for these tragedies from the players that actually clicked not once, but TWICE and confirmed the purchase.

Next, their accounts should be credited with their choice of weapon, mount or clothing, in order to minimize the MONUMENTAL mental anguish they suffered.

Finally, those responsible should be IP traced, pulled out into the public square and shot in the back of the head to teach a lesson.

And if you don't agree with me you're some sort of -ist / -obic / greedy person who should DIAF.

My God man! Think of the children.

Did I cover all the usual bases?

Right. I'm sure between the logs and everything they have access to, they can tell. I'm not saying they should, just that they should be able to determine quite well what the intent was. This isn't a court...there's no burden of proof they need to come up with, just reasonable suspicion.

I hope they simply address the UI. That's where this issue stems from...the poor sort options.

You're not serious... right? They don't have access to people's minds, therefore there is no way of proving someone's intent from something as simple as a GTN listing. If they were going by reasonable suspicion alone, there'd almost certainly be quite a few honest people being punished wrongfully.

All the necessary sort options are there. People not using them is the problem. It may reset after every search, but all it takes is 2 clicks to get it back.

Edited by MagikFingerz

We should absolutely remove ALL responsibility for these tragedies from the players that actually clicked not once, but TWICE and confirmed the purchase.

Next, their accounts should be credited with their choice of weapon, mount or clothing, in order to minimize the MONUMENTAL mental anguish they suffered.

Finally, those responsible should be IP traced, pulled out into the public square and shot in the back of the head to teach a lesson.

And if you don't agree with me you're some sort of -ist / -obic / greedy person who should DIAF.

I think you missed "slap in the face" somewhere in there.

None of the changes proposed provide any protections for the buyer or seller. There is no way to protect buyers or sellers from themselves. No amount of changes would bring that about.

It is getting rather silly to argue for or against changes based on alleged "scams" or "protections".

Neither side in general has presented an accurate or sensible argument. It is just bickering back and forth for the sake of forum PVP.

It's a lazy cop out of an answer, saying it's "impossible" to tell their intentions when it is in fact incredibly easy to tell. When the item is literally exactly 100x more than an already existing version of itself on the market, there is no other answer.

But yea, fixing the UI would probably solve or at least greatly reduce the issue. That's what's being exploited right now to scam people.

Edited by hadoken

i really dont understand what the issue is. I have never purchased anything that i thought was too expensive and i always look at the price. If people are too lazy to look at what they are paying then they deserve to pay more.... call it a "Stupid" tax.

PVP greifers find weaknesses and exploit them. The poor pvp flagging mechanic is exploitable. See what I did there? :rolleyes:

Unless you practice double standards you cant say the argument is not applicable. If people tricking people who dont want to pvp into accidentally flagging is acceptable to you, then people listing prices in such a way so as to appear cheaper to people who can't be bothered to read properly should also be acceptable.

Right. Flagging yourself for PvP costs you a few minutes and 0 credits, not millions of credits.

Someone used to have a signature saying Coin Wars: The Cartel Republic.

I guess it could be adapted to read: GTN WARS: The Credit Republic.

Or maybe: SCAM WARS: The GTN Republic?

This, too, shall pass. 3.0 is around the corner and there will be so much new and shiny stuff to complain about. :D

Thank you Mr Musco. Here are the suggestions so far...I see them as QoL changes that would be nice to have. If you see any you think might be relevant and wish to pass them on, I appreciate it.

1) The ability to ignore a character name on the GTN, so the items sold by that character are not shown in searches.

2) The ability to place a red flag on sellers you do not like, green flag on ones you prefer, and a sort function to move red flags to the bottom of a search, green flags to the top. Only you would see the flags you apply.

3) Remove the ability for the system to display fractional currency in the "price per unit" field.

4) Have the formatting right justified instead of left justified.

5) Have the ignore list also apply to the GTN.

6) Change total price to price per unit, or just add a price per unit option for posting items for sale.

Any of them would be welcome changes IMO.

I would personally love to see the ability to price per unit when placing a sale, and having a flag system so I could flag sellers based on how I rate them...for my eyes only. The flag with a sort function would be very convenient.

It seems the ability to price items per unit as an option is the most popular suggestion.

7) Default the GTN to sorting by lowest price first, or lowest per unit price (maybe a toggle to pick?). There is really no good reason for the current sort system, it is a jumble of high and low prices and the need to sort the list every time is pointless. If I can set eBay to always sort by lowest price first, I should be able to with the GTN as well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.