The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Scam/Not a Scam debate storyline

LyraineAlei

This is less an issue of inattentive idiots using the GTN, and more about useless decimal points in prices that allow unscrupulous players to exploit it unfairly.

There are a lot of stupid people in this world, but that doesn't mean that the "less stupid" individuals should take advantage of them.

In a free and open capitalist market place? It most certainly does.....

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is less an issue of inattentive idiots using the GTN, and more about useless decimal points in prices that allow unscrupulous players to exploit it unfairly.

There are a lot of stupid people in this world, but that doesn't mean that the "less stupid" individuals should take advantage of them.

You could say "survival of the fittest"... but I agree with you. The only way these sellers are allowed to operate is because of broken decimal places system. The comp, eatly bonkers thing is... It's super easy to fix: either get rid of all decimal places, or force 2 decimal places on all items.

Except you're wrong in saying it's not against the TOS. Because it's against the TOS. The seller can put whatever price he wants hes but the seller shouldn't be allowed to manipulate the GTN to make the prices seem like they are lower with the way the numbers are displayed. The buyer obviously needs to be cautious but sometimes they are not. Changing the way the numbers are displayed would prevent these sellers from deliberately trying to trick people, then it wouldn't be against TOS. :)

He's not manipulating the gtn, he is listing the price with the intent to sell his item at the price we wants to sell it for. No one is being forced to buy his items. There is no scam going on. Just give it up.

No, but they can make it harder to be one.

No, people can wake the hell up, and use their brain a bit.

Edit: no, not giving the " scammers " or whatever they're called today, the right to do so. Their strategy is still an evil one, but still.

Edited by Tachenko_Yuri

Exactly. As for the OP I do know someone that quit over it, for whatever that's worth.

You've already lost the argument the moment you started insulting me :) Your post is now invalid.

And yet you felt it necessary to reply? Thanks for the validation. :p

Or was that just your way to commemorate an empty victory on the forums for getting a post removed that bothered your ego and points out that you aren't able to take responsibility for your own foolish mistakes?

I'll take a forum vacation for the chance to tell an idiot that they make the village idiot look like a card carrying member of MENSA. I'll wear that badge proudly while you commemorate your own foolishness.

A simple yet elegant solution.

Change the display to Mils, Ks and singles, like it's in games that use gold/silver/copper etc. So the GTN listing would look like this <ITEM> 2M 328k 331C

There, discussion over.

Edited by Jandi

That won't happen. It's up to the people who design the UI to make it idiot proof.

It's impossible. The world keeps coming up with better, more advanced idiots!

Wouldn't it be funny if the devs decided to fix it by changing the decimals? Then they added a decimal place, instead? I can hear the screaming already, projecting backward through time....

Just try telling the difference between 374.325 and 374,325.

Exactly. As for the OP I do know someone that quit over it, for whatever that's worth.

How is it an issue with the decimal system? Can you please give a logical argument for how it is possible to confuse a fixed 2 decimal for non-integer price per unit and a fixed 0 decimals for integer price per unit for something radically different?

I don't know how many times it has to be said, you will NEVER in any circumstance in this game be presented with:

X.XXX,XXX or X,XXX.XXX

Those formats literally can't appear on the GTN. So I don't buy the "I misread" the decimals / confused the symbol argument and thus the decimals are the problem.

Edited by azudelphi

Excuse the french, but tough **** for them then. Paying a minor bit of attention isn't asking the moon on a stick. Also, god forbid, they actually go out there and get their own mats, or used the up 5.. wait for it.. crew skill missions! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't believe that's actually French. And your suggestion that they go get their own mats is silly....that's EXACTLY what the GTN is for...to buy something I don't have that I want.

He's not manipulating the gtn, he is listing the price with the intent to sell his item at the price we wants to sell it for. No one is being forced to buy his items. There is no scam going on. Just give it up.

You may be right on all points except the last one. There is no reason for this NOT to be changed.

The seller can still do all of the things you indicate in your post. The change protects noone, neither sellers nor buyers, nor does it stop folks from over or undercharging.

What it does do is remove confusing fractional currency. Quite a few of the suggestions would be useful to the majority of the playerbase IMO....as was the sort by price and price per unit feature.

Edited by LordArtemis

That's NOT a scam.....that's business. A scam is when you buy tha Blu Ray player from buddy at tha gas station, but when you get home and open it....It's a brick. A scam is buying that gold necklace from ole boy slangin em outside tha mall for tha low. But when you take it to tha pawn shop he tells you it's not real gold. Some of y'all need to spend a lil time on the block lol

Let's assume that you needed to upgrade the motherboard on your computer. The one you want cost $225. You browse the web and find someone advertising that same motherboard:

TODAY ONLY, $17499

You jump at the opportunity to save $50, but the following day, you find a charge to your credit card for $17,499.00

You were scammed, but its all ok, but it's all "just business," right?

A simple yet elegant solution.

Change the display to Mils, Ks and singles, like it's in games that use gold/silver/copper etc. So the GTN listing would look like this <ITEM> 2M 328k 331C

There, discussion over.

Actually, it is simpler than that.

Instead of "price per unit" of 3574.15 it would be 3574.

There is no need for the fractional currency display.

You may be right on all points except the last one. There is no reason for this NOT to be changed.

The seller can still do all of the things you indicate in your post. The change protects noone, neither sellers nor buyers, nor does it stop folks from over or undercharging.

What it does do is remove confusing fractional currency. Quite a few of the suggestions would be useful to the majority of the playerbase IMO....as was the sort by price and price per unit feature.

Sorry but I just don't see a need to spend resources on something that doesn't need fixing when all the tools to prevent accidents are already available on the GTN.

This whole I did not intend to buy it for 'that' price is a ridicolous argument. You had all the information needed to confirm your purchase right there. It's not Bioware's fault that you cannot take ten seconds to read the number correctly. That argument is bound to be abused. I garantue it. "Oh, there is another one of Jaraels tunics, which is 500.000 credits cheaper than mine. Write ticket...Did not intend to buy it...save 500k.".

You know what? I was never hit by this scam, although I saw it on the GTN plenty of times. And do you know why I was never affected by it, despite noticing it? That's right everyone, I read the prices. I missclick, I accidently sort highest first. I look at the price. I see "Oh, it's 399.999 per Exotic Element Equalizer. That's not what I'm looking for.". I click again. This time it's 20.999. That's what I am looking for.

It's not against the ToS. Why should it be? I am allowed to price the items on the GTN however high I want. I can put a green Lightsaber up for a million credits. Nobody can argue with me that a company should have any say in the way I make my prices.

Now, I can hear you shout: "Alssaran, you are one of those scammers!". No, I am not, for common sense is not a scam.

Edited by Alssaran

I don't believe that's actually French. And your suggestion that they go get their own mats is silly....that's EXACTLY what the GTN is for...to buy something I don't have that I want.

Silly eh?

but, then again, the folks who have put the mats on there, are folks who have done just that, crew skilling, picking them from the field, or on a strong-mob killing spree.

Anyone can do it. So what I'm trying to say if if they Cba to pay attention ( :rolleyes: ) they might go, and to that instead...

which is also free. :D

Edit: and also, this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardon_my_French

Edited by Tachenko_Yuri

Let's assume that you needed to upgrade the motherboard on your computer. The one you want cost $225. You browse the web and find someone advertising that same motherboard:

TODAY ONLY, $17499

You jump at the opportunity to save $50, but the following day, you find a charge to your credit card for $17,499.00

You were scammed, but its all ok, but it's all "just business," right?

Your analogy doesn't work because there isn't any decimals or periods to indicate what the price is. If someone doesn't pay attention and ask what the price is before buying then that really is the buyer's fault.

Its not, its Saxon. When the Norman French conquered England they declared the Saxon language to be uncouth or something like that. Thats how we got all of our swear words, except for damn. Just normal, regular Saxon words that the French "linguistic supremacists" decided to label "bad." But, then, they were French.

Id guess the saying evolved as a joke. Since everyone knows its not French but that was what was "acceptable" at the time.

Some of that may be total BS. I dunno. All I know for sure is the Normans conquered England and those were Saxon words.

Just try telling the difference between 374.325 and 374,325.

If this was the current situation and the GTN did display decimals out to the thousandth on Unit Prices, then all these agitators would almost have a point. Almost.

There still a bloody comma in one and not the other...

Edited by Dras_Keto