housing got decoration hooks :((

brutall

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The engine doesn't need to support merging objects at all. Infact free placement works just fine in The Repopulation, which uses the Hero Engine.

We don't need Bioware to create a vast amount of assets for it to work or for them to do anything special for it. Even if you can see through one side of an object that is fine, some people used that in SWG to create one way view booths in Cantinas and such. We will work with what we have and create more and more interesting things as Bioware add more regular objects over time.

THIS IS A CUT UP HERO ENGINE with Bioware's own code. It isnt even the "hero" engine anymore. The repopulation has it. Doesn't mean this engine can or should. Plus we are not considering Bioware's own design principles. They may have very good reason for using large hook areas instead.

Edited by Arkerus

GSH Twitch Stream is now live.

Yup. Watching it now. Cool. This should answer many questions including the "hooks" paranoia.

Edit: Crap... I'm going to spend hours customizing....

Edited by Rafaman

From the twitch stream;

• Strongholds are attached to planet chat. So if your stronghold is on Tatooine, you will see that planet chat while in your stronghold.
  • you travel to and from any of your Strongholds from ANYWHERE using stronghold UI
  • You can 'public list' your stronghold which means strangers can visit your stronghold if you're online
  • GTN terminal will be available to place in your stronghold. Other kiosks too, but they didn't specifically say which ones
  • You will retroactively receive trophies from Nim/HM/SM you have already completed to place in your stronghold
  • The only way to display armor sets is to equip those sets on your companions who can be displayed
  • Guilds can have their own strongholds/headquarters

Edited by tharbison

From the twitch stream - Strongholds are attached to planet chat. So if your stronghold is on Tatooine, you will see that planet chat while in your stronghold.

Yup... a fleet channel would have been a welcome option.

So.... the hooks can be re sized and the configurations changed to fit what you want to do. But they can't be randomly moved from what I can see. It looks like this customization will allow for an open placement of things.

However, it is hardly free form. You can't put mounts on ceilings etc. And you have to place a items on a hook. But since hooks seem to be wall to wall covering every wall too, I don't think it will be much of an issue for me.

So.... the hooks can be re sized and the configurations changed to fit what you want to do. But they can't be randomly moved from what I can see. It looks like this customization will allow for an open placement of things.

However, it is hardly free form. You can't put mounts on ceilings etc. And you have to place a items on a hook. But since hooks seem to be wall to wall covering every wall too, I don't think it will be much of an issue for me.

Yeah, the sheer amount of hooks they have, impressed me. I'm still not a fan of hooks, but the system they've developed seems rather robust. I'm glad I saw the live stream.

Ah... but I just noticed something that is very cool. The hooks have offsets, so you can move items up, down, left and right from the center of the hook. So... again not free form, but customization is very robust. Edited by Rafaman

IMO hooks is a complete fail. I had hoped to see some kind of combination of hooks and free placement, or at least that it would not be like the system in LotRO, which is what they directly indicated.

Naturally that is not the case. It is almost exactly like LotRO with respect to placement of items.

Well, this is the second major disappointment for me. Personally I will not pay for my next 30 day, and take a peek at it when it comes out, but it's likely this is it for me.

It's really too bad. I wish them all the success in the world.

IMO hooks is a complete fail. I had hoped to see some kind of combination of hooks and free placement, or at least that it would not be like the system in LotRO, which is what they directly indicated.

Naturally that is not the case. It is almost exactly like LotRO with respect to placement of items.

Well, this is the second major disappointment for me. Personally I will not pay for my next 30 day, and take a peek at it when it comes out, but it's likely this is it for me.

It's really too bad. I wish them all the success in the world.

Are you watching the livestream? If not you should, or watch a replay. It looks very good IMO.

Are you watching the livestream? If not you should, or watch a replay. It looks very good IMO.

To me it didn't look really good at all. The ONLY thing that really interested me with housing was free placement, it was the only reason I returned to the game.

I'm not saying it's a horrible design, or a fail for everyone.....just for me. Which of course means next to nothing naturally. Just like with GSF I think they made a limiting choice that will limit the overall appeal of the feature.

Compared to other new games on the market this is subpar IMO.

Perhaps I am looking at this wrong. Since GSF was a disappointment for me I decided to simply not waste my time (my opinion naturally) with the feature. I could simply do the same thing for this.

After all, it does provide legacy storage and perhaps a personal GTN kiosk, so it might have some use for me. I could simply look at it for what it is in my eyes....a legacy storage and GTN convenience feature.

To me it is not housing. But perhaps I might be ok with that. I just have to think about it for a while.

Perhaps I am looking at this wrong. Since GSF was a disappointment for me I decided to simply not waste my time (my opinion naturally) with the feature. I could simply do the same thing for this.

After all, it does provide legacy storage and perhaps a personal GTN kiosk, so it might have some use for me. I could simply look at it for what it is in my eyes....a legacy storage and GTN convenience feature.

To me it is not housing. But perhaps I might be ok with that. I just have to think about it for a while.

Maybe throttle back the condemnation and /quitting UNTIL you actually have a chance to play with it... like on the upcoming PTS. ;)