housing got decoration hooks :((

brutall

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While it would be nice to be able to put things where we want, I suspect that adding calculations as to where everything is to stronghold load might slow loading down a lot and bog the game down as a whole if lots of people were loading at once. Edited by errant_knight

While it would be nice to be able to put things where we want, I suspect that adding calculations as to where everything is to stronghold load might slow loading down a lot and bog the game down as a whole if lots of people were loading at once.

I'm not sure that storing a coordinate and orientation would be all that more complex to store than storing which type of hook pattern was used, which hook it's attached to, and the offset/rotation information. If I were to guess it would be between limiting the amount of stuff you can place at once, an issue of trying to design an intuitive UI, or for aesthetic reasons they didn't want a crazy mess of things clipping into each other.

I wonder if each profession has its own special thing to make ar if it will be like augment kits. (Generic item craftable by several professions)

I think it will be like augments. The kit (legacy bank) would be crafted by multiple professions, but the other stuff will be more specialized. Cybertech might make computer terminals, artifice cool crystal decorations, armstech would make gun lockers, and synthweavers would make couches. Or something like that.

Edited by MillionsKNives

I think this hook system is extremely flexibe.

It's about the closest thing we are going to get to a completely free system without actually making it so you can place tables in the ceiling or chairs on walls (ps. you should try that at home... it's harder than you'd think).

What I'd really like to know, though, is if my stronghold will look the same for all my characters in that legacy. In other words, if my sith warrior decorates his Nar Shaddaa stronghold with a ton of skulls and blood fountains, is my jedi consular going to faint when she enters her Nar Shaddaa stronghold and discovers it's been filled with skulls and blood fountains?

I think this hook system is extremely flexibe.

It's about the closest thing we are going to get to a completely free system without actually making it so you can place tables in the ceiling or chairs on walls (ps. you should try that at home... it's harder than you'd think).

What I'd really like to know, though, is if my stronghold will look the same for all my characters in that legacy. In other words, if my sith warrior decorates his Nar Shaddaa stronghold with a ton of skulls and blood fountains, is my jedi consular going to faint when she enters her Nar Shaddaa stronghold and discovers it's been filled with skulls and blood fountains?

Doesn't the fact that Strongholds were said to be not cross faction, and the ones that shared a planet in different locations, rule that out?

Agreed, it looks like a good compromise. Honestly, do you really need to place couches on the ceiling, or floating in the middle of the room?

Seems ok to me, but it will limit a lot of creativity. For instance, in WildStar one user created an entire Skate Park out of components. That kind of thing won't be possible in SWTOR. The complicated layouts you see in RIFT won't be possible either, but SWTOR's implementation is at least as good as most MMO's.

Seems ok to me, but it will limit a lot of creativity. For instance, in WildStar one user created an entire Skate Park out of components. That kind of thing won't be possible in SWTOR. The complicated layouts you see in RIFT won't be possible either, but SWTOR's implementation is at least as good as most MMO's.

I've seen that (or something like it) and personally I thought it looked awful and completely broke immersion. It didn't look like a house with decorations, it looked like the result of giving a mad man access to a level editor.

Agreed, it looks like a good compromise. Honestly, do you really need to place couches on the ceiling, or floating in the middle of the room?

I have to say one of the coolest things about SWG housing was that you could do just that, some creative people placed furniture in in such a way they created new and very unique furniture and interior designs.

It was pretty cool to see, it a was like art in some cases.

I've seen that (or something like it) and personally I thought it looked awful and completely broke immersion. It didn't look like a house with decorations, it looked like the result of giving a mad man access to a level editor.

Well the point is that they can do that. It's not in the open world so you don't have to see it and you can make your house more traditional looking. But if that person wants to make a house like that then why stop them?

Well the point is that they can do that. It's not in the open world so you don't have to see it and you can make your house more traditional looking. But if that person wants to make a house like that then why stop them?

Because you can't design a system to please everyone. Just the majority.

Because you can't design a system to please everyone. Just the majority.

Since you can customize placements on hooks slightly the work for free form placement is pretty much already done. They just need a UI for it and an option to turn off hooks.

Since you can customize placements on hooks slightly the work for free form placement is pretty much already done. They just need a UI for it and an option to turn off hooks.

You're not getting it. Without the placement spots, there's no system.

You're not getting it. Without the placement spots, there's no system.

I actually don't think YOU get it. With placement slots, there's very limited freedom. Nobody needs to tell you where to put things in your house...that freedom should have been extended to housing.

I think this is disappointing

as with everything in this game, nothing will please 100% of the people. We havn't even seen what the full effect will be nor how it will ultimately work, yet people already complaining about it.

As more often then not, people deserve to get what they ask for.

People wanted free form off rails space combat ->got GSF... people complained.

People wanted housing -> getting GSH...people complaining

Granted the people complaining were not necessarily the ones asking for it, nor where they getting 100% of what they asked for. But a large majority want this game to be SWG 3.0 with free form everything and even though thats not what this game is, nor how it works.

Want free form creature creation even though tools are not there and art needs to be created previously, also people will inevitably complain about clipping or other issues as a result of their free from creations.

In the end this will please a majority of the people that screamed for it, and will probably satisfy those that were somewhat against it originally. It will add crafting options (something people have also been screaming for) way to show off armors and trophies (something people have been asking for).

I actually don't think YOU get it. With placement slots, there's very limited freedom. Nobody needs to tell you where to put things in your house...that freedom should have been extended to housing.

And you have that freedom with the current system.

I'm so sorry to hear that you're disappointed. Is there anyone I can call for you? Do you need some time alone?

why you keep defending this? most new mmos got housing with out hooks. maybe you like it easy like this. sure keep the hooks but atlest give ut the option to turn it off and do our thing

why you keep defending this? most new mmos got housing with out hooks. maybe you like it easy like this. sure keep the hooks but atlest give ut the option to turn it off and do our thing

Why do you keep attacking this? You plainly don't grasp that without the placement points, there's no system at all.

I'm coming from the City of Heroes SuperGroup base creator/editor angle and I think this SWTOR housing system looks pretty awesome. You have to have some sort of parameters or boundaries, imo. This looks to me to be as much freedom as decorating a house as in The Sims, and that feels pretty unlimited, yet, there's similar "hooks" and restrictions there, aren't there? You can't put a TV on the roof or floor, or a sofa or table upside down or stuck on the wall, but it's never been a problem and never made me feel restricted, somehow. *shrug* jmho Edited by Code_Airwolf