housing got decoration hooks :((

brutall

Placing the hooks themselves appears to be very free and open, as does adjusting the displays once they're placed on a hook. Honestly it just seems more like an interface to make things easier to set initially. Will reserve judgement until I see more but all-in-all it looks pretty good.

Seems this way to me from the little we know. The "hooks" seem to be pretty wide and varied and as you said open. And you can rotate and orient so... it doesn't look that bad at all.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually don't think YOU get it. With placement slots, there's very limited freedom. Nobody needs to tell you where to put things in your house...that freedom should have been extended to housing.

You're right, of course. I always wanted to put a vase on the ceiling and carpet my walls. :rolleyes:

That's just like your opinion, man.

Patently it's not. You can either place something wherever you want, or you have to put it on a hook where they tell you you can. It's not the same thing at all.

This is exactly what I was afraid they'd do. After bolloxing up the dye system they've half-arsed the housing system too.

Shame, because it was the one reason I resubbed. :(

You're right, of course. I always wanted to put a vase on the ceiling and carpet my walls. :rolleyes:

If that's what floats your boat...sure... make them look like canister lights?

As another poster put it, in the shot there is a Rakata guard statue on a base...he'd like to submerge that base into the ground so it looks more like a statue on the floor and have a pair of them standing guard outside a doorway...or put a Karaga's hat on it to be funny. This system limits creativity to only what Bioware can think of and removes all creativity from players who might want to make a wall out of bookcases or shelves by stacking chairs.

You mean you haven't? It's all the rage. Just know that if you do one you have to do both. If you put a vase on the ceiling, you HAVE to carpet the floor and the walls, it helps protect the vase from breaking should the adhesive wear off and the vase falls off. It's an insurance/liability thing.

Anybody get the feeling that if they had not used the term "hooks" this would be a much shorter discussion?

"Zones" maybe? "Design hotspots"? "Pegs"? Hooks was a terrible choice of words, no doubt, but the system is just that...a hook system. They couldn't have disguised it for long using different terms. Even lotro's awful system allowed you to rotate things...

Anybody get the feeling that if they had not used the term "hooks" this would be a much shorter discussion?

Yeah. They should have used placement modifier area "PMA" :) . The kids are all riled up because they can't smash their statue into the ground and violate spatial integrity.

Edited by Arkerus

"Zones" maybe? "Design hotspots"? "Pegs"? Hooks was a terrible choice of words, no doubt, but the system is just that...a hook system. They couldn't have disguised it for long using different terms. Even lotro's awful system allowed you to rotate things...

It's a Hook System TUXs, no one is denying that. But from what they've described it's a lot more free roaming than other hook systems.

If that's what floats your boat...sure... make them look like canister lights?

As another poster put it, in the shot there is a Rakata guard statue on a base...he'd like to submerge that base into the ground so it looks more like a statue on the floor and have a pair of them standing guard outside a doorway...or put a Karaga's hat on it to be funny. This system limits creativity to only what Bioware can think of and removes all creativity from players who might want to make a wall out of bookcases or shelves by stacking chairs.

That is just pointless and silly. :p

Seriously, if you've played this game, then you should know not to expect that level of customization.

Though, to be fair, in that example, there's a good chance the models will be botched and they'll just clip into the floor as such. You know that's true! :cool:

A lot of people in this thread seem to not understand the point of free form placement. It isn't so that you can put furniture on the ceiling or have a floating couch. It's so that we can create new objects out of existing objects in a way that make's the series of objects look like something else. If done right it can look very good, if done badly then yes it will look tacky.

Free form placement lets the players create lots of things that they want and are only limited by there own imagination. With the hooks system we are very much limited by what Bioware creates assets for. We can't combine existing assets to create new ones.

A lot of people in this thread seem to not understand the point of free form placement. It isn't so that you can put furniture on the ceiling or have a floating couch. It's so that we can create new objects out of existing objects in a way that make's the series of objects look like something else. If done right it can look very good, if done badly then yes it will look tacky.

Free form placement lets the players create lots of things that they want and are only limited by there own imagination. With the hooks system we are very much limited by what Bioware creates assets for. We can't combine existing assets to create new ones.

I get what you're stating. It's certainly not something that I'm interested in. Just my opinion.

By the way: Welcome to SWTOR. This is how things are.

Damm be a little more german and keep quiet until you have played it, THEN you can enrage about it;) German Forum seems much more civilized nowadays^^

Well... that's because they made it to the quarter finals in the World Cup as expected. ;)

I get what you're stating. It's certainly not something that I'm interested in. Just my opinion.

By the way: Welcome to SWTOR. This is how things are.

And this is why allowing us to turn off the hook system would be great. It works really well for people who want to be more casual about it or not spend to much time on it. Letting us turn it off would give us the best of both worlds.

And chances are, Bioware isn't making 1000s of objects that actually make sense together. This isn't second life. The objects provided will most likely be very practical.

If you want to mash statues into floor and put a chair on a couch, go play a different game with an engine designed to create objects on the fly. Its obvious Bioware doesn't want people violating spatial integrity.

no I would have been surprised had this thread gone any other way :D

though the lack of bringing up SWG is suprising

Since you used Rift dimensions as an example, but then mentioned a complex editor...

Rift has an incredibly user-friendly, simple to use interface. If you just drag items into the world you can place them freely, including small items on top of tables, etc (which works like a "hook system" since items will want to snap into specific places at first). Yet you also have the ability to place these items ANYWHERE, including up and down, rotated any direction, and enlarged.

A truly customizable decorating system doesn't have to be complex at all.

Complexity in terms of effective player use.

A drag and drop/resize/tilt interface might be simple to use but I think we all know it will get less use than a clip on system. In a hook system a certain ammount of people will use it. Without the helping hand of general hook placements for specific items only a portion will go "Extreme Makeover: Strongholds Edition". Welcome to the world of the lowest common denominator. Rejoice or rue it as it feels appropriate.

And chances are, Bioware isn't making 1000s of objects that actually make sense together. This isn't second life. The objects provided will most likely be very practical.

If you want to mash statues into floor and put a chair on a couch, go play a different game with an engine designed to create objects on the fly. Its obvious Bioware doesn't want people violating spatial integrity.

The engine doesn't need to support merging objects at all. Infact free placement works just fine in The Repopulation, which uses the Hero Engine.

We don't need Bioware to create a vast amount of assets for it to work or for them to do anything special for it. Even if you can see through one side of an object that is fine, some people used that in SWG to create one way view booths in Cantinas and such. We will work with what we have and create more and more interesting things as Bioware add more regular objects over time.

You clearly don't know the dye market. The only reason the Black/Black, Black/White, White/White dyes are so expensive is 'because' they can't be crafted by Crafters and are CM only items.

I saw Secondary White on sale for almost 500k last week. Is that a craftable item?