housing got decoration hooks :((

brutall

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only if you happen to have whichever crew skill is used to make it.

Or you may find a crafter in your guild to do it. I have all the crafting skills on my alts and all but one are 300 and above but I will craft them for my guild and my friends with no charge. We also have crafters in the guild that will do the same.

What exactly does that line mean to you?

It doesn't mean Free Placement.

Edit:

In short, you saw what you wanted to see and managed to get yourself hyped up and excited about something that you perceived but wasn't real and now you're disappointed that the game isn't living up to your unreasonable and unfounded expectations.

Gamer logic!

Edited by Infernixx

Placement system looks to be far more advanced than a simple Hook system.

With a range of hook templates to choose from and the ability to rotate and nudge placed items I think the system will allow for a great degree of choice.

I will reserve full judgement until I see the demo/ get my hands on it in August.

But honestly, OP seems to have had 'Hook' rant saved up and not read anything else from the developer blog.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=746929&page=2

http://42gaming.com/blog/community-cantina-q-a-with-eric-musco-los-angeles-2014.html

"Strongholds will be extremely intricate in that you will be able to place items as you see fit...This intricacy will be inherently Star Wars and will rival the housing of other games and it will very customizable.."

The only game it rivals is lotro.

That can be interpreted so many ways! I can choose what to put in the slots. I can choose the arrangement. I can fine-tune and make adjustments.

Basically, it means that they will not force Item A into Slot A.

That can be interpreted so many ways! I can choose what to put in the slots. I can choose the arrangement. I can fine-tune and make adjustments.

Basically, it means that they will not force Item A into Slot A.

Which is why they said months ago that they'd rather 'show' the system than try to explain it in text. Because of stuff like 'that'...

I thought I'd be bummed but when I read their reasoning I'm on board for the way they're doing it. I can see how putting in a dev tool-ish system could put a lot of average players off, including myself. Yea it's not as complex as rift dimensions but when you think about it, more people CBA with the complexity than created amazing things. So this system might suck for the people that have the design aspirations but it's good for the majority that would fiddle around but couldn't/wouldn't want to deal with an incredibly complex editor, leaving their strongholds spartan.

Which is why they said months ago that they'd rather 'show' the system than try to explain it in text. Because of stuff like 'that'...

Yeah, because saying "hooks" would be hard to imagine.

Oh posh! You must be new to the forums if you think people will wait for facts or clarification before they complain. :p

People are already complaining about the price of the CM aspects and the price hasn't even been announced yet.

It's also not a pure hook system and you know that, but you're hung up on 'hooks', which is ironic on a number of different levels.

It certainly seems to be nothing more than a pure hook system. The ability to make a large into a medium or small, doesn't remove the fact that they're simply hooks. And I think hooks are the worst possible idea ever in gaming for housing...they absolutely miss the entire point of housing which is to make it a players OWN area.

I'll stop for now. Maybe I'm wrong and those "hooks" will be able to slide across walls, onto ceilings, clip into the floor...maybe these hooks will be different...but I doubt it.

There are certain things i wont probably be able to do with a hook system no matter how flexible it is. I will reserve judgement until i see it for myself however.

The reason why the lotro system is so bad is partly because its a hook system but also an inflexible one. I know changing large to medium is irrelevant to some people but it really isnt to me. You could only put a certain number of a specific size item in your house and combine that with not a lot of hooks that made for a subpar system.

The make and break for me will be the number of hooks. One of the main complaints with the lotro system on the forums was the number of hooks. If their are hooks pretty much all over the floor and walls then i can live with that even if its not ideal.

I do like how you can craft furniture and hopefully they will add some functionality to the apartments down the line

It certainly seems to be nothing more than a pure hook system. The ability to make a large into a medium or small, doesn't remove the fact that they're simply hooks. And I think hooks are the worst possible idea ever in gaming for housing...they absolutely miss the entire point of housing which is to make it a players OWN area.

I'll stop for now. Maybe I'm wrong and those "hooks" will be able to slide across walls, onto ceilings, clip into the floor...maybe these hooks will be different...but I doubt it.

If it was a simple hook system, there'd be no 'square footage' per hook to work with. Nor the ability to rotate and turn items as you wish. To say nothing of replacing Large Hooks with a collection of smaller hooks that allow for greater ability to place things exactly where you want, how you want. It's a placement system, certainly, but with customization that doesn't go along with a pure hook system. And we all already know this, so why the fixation on insisting that it's a pure hook system when you know that's not?

Are you still upset that you misread their intentions and got hyped up over something that they never said they were doing?

If the system is anything like LOTRO, they really messed up.

Badly.

It's also not a pure hook system and you know that, but you're hung up on 'hooks', which is ironic on a number of different levels.

I got half caught between a laugh and a groan, and nearly chocked on my sandwich...

Will you at least acknowledge that the hook is only the starting or center point of the area? The system clearly allows you to slide items around and rotate it after you place it. In the classic "hook" system you seem to be describing you do not have that option.

The extent to which you adjust items after placement is still up for debate, but it's pretty clear this is not the simple hook system you keep saying it is.

Didn't they specifically say at a Cantina Event that the housing system was unlike LOTRO? IIRC, Someone asked about the GSH expac, and specifically mentioned LOTRO. If the devs said that the housing system was unlike LOTRO, then it would be pretty ridiculous for us to respond to this news with "HEY GUYS IT'S LOTRO HOUSING LOOK, /UNSUB."

I'm not suggesting we all hop on the bandwagon, but I am suggesting cautious optimism. This looks more complex than I assumed they would make GSH... It's not free placement, but let's check out the stream today and see what it's all about more specifically.

I thought I'd be bummed but when I read their reasoning I'm on board for the way they're doing it. I can see how putting in a dev tool-ish system could put a lot of average players off, including myself. Yea it's not as complex as rift dimensions but when you think about it, more people CBA with the complexity than created amazing things. So this system might suck for the people that have the design aspirations but it's good for the majority that would fiddle around but couldn't/wouldn't want to deal with an incredibly complex editor, leaving their strongholds spartan.

Since you used Rift dimensions as an example, but then mentioned a complex editor...

Rift has an incredibly user-friendly, simple to use interface. If you just drag items into the world you can place them freely, including small items on top of tables, etc (which works like a "hook system" since items will want to snap into specific places at first). Yet you also have the ability to place these items ANYWHERE, including up and down, rotated any direction, and enlarged.

A truly customizable decorating system doesn't have to be complex at all.

Edited by Beltane

Since you used Rift dimensions as an example, but then mentioned a complex editor...

Rift has an incredibly user-friendly, simple to use interface. If you just drag items into the world you can place them freely, including small items on top of tables, etc (which works like a "hook system" since items will want to snap into specific places at first). Yet you also have the ability to place these items ANYWHERE, including up and down, rotated any direction, and enlarged.

A truly customizable decorating system doesn't have to be complex at all.

true also wildstar housing is pretty easy to use and it got no hooks!