Have an idea for a Warzone? Share it with a Dev!

AlexModny

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WZ: Attack the opposing fleet

More formalized version of what people do on open world. You infiltrate a dock and then try to invade and capture objs on opposing fleet. Reward players with something like turn in your pvp dailies/weekly at the opposing factions drop box rewards 2x comms. Put a limiter on fleet for groups no larger than 4 to be able to participate kind of like the Ilum capture the hill, and have it be an opt in thing, red if aggressed.

Couple of ideas. One's a map, one's a gameplay type.

Map: Gas Harvester Platform

• Empire and Republic forces battle on a floating gas harvester platform in an attempt to secure critical blaster gas supplies for their side in the war.
  • Functions like a variant of capture the flag. While each team's goal is to capture and retrieve an object, there will also be a component of value for the objective. Players will have to stay at a collection point and siphon off gas into canisters, which then need to be taken back to their team's pickup point. If interrupted, they can either resume siphoning or attempt to take their current canisters back to to the pickup point.
  • The longer a team can hold the siphon point and siphon off gas, the more gas they will collect, which will result in more points their team can acquire if they can safely return the canisters to their pickup point. (Teams can pump up their points towards the victory requirement in a hit and run fashion, or take a bigger risk for a bigger step towards winning.)
  • Bonus objectives: Activate platform defenses (multiple points). Periodically, defense consoles around the platform become available, allowing allied or enemy forces to take control of the defenses they are connected to. If a team manages to secure one of these defense control stations, nearby defense systems will activate and hinder or attack the opposing team.

Gameplay type: Capture Point (Dual offensive)

• Similar to the existing capture point gameplay type used in the Void Star. However, instead of there being one attacking team and one defending team, both teams are attacking.
  • The goal of each team is to capture all the objective points by the end of the match, or at least hold the most points when the match's time limit runs out.
  • Once a point becomes available for capture, its ownership is not fixed. Once captured by a team, it can be recaptured by the team opposing the holder.
  • To prevent draws, there will be an odd number of objective points, such as three or five. Whoever holds the most points (if not all) when time runs out will win the round.
  • Another variant of this gameplay type would use an even number of objective points, with a special "sudden death" type mode which activates in the event of a draw. (i.e. both teams hold the same number of objective points when time runs out.)
  • A map with this gameplay type (even or odd objective number of capture points) may have a special mode if a complete victory is not achieved during a round. For example, two teams have to capture an automated factory. If neither can take complete control of the factory before time runs out, the factory's defenses will activate, leading both teams to be forced to fight the factory's defenses until one or the other can take control of the system.
  • Another possible map using this gameplay type may lock the points periodically, either once they are captured or after a set period of time. Environmental effects (such as hazards, air support, or defenses) may activate based on who has which points during this lockdown period.

Edited by Nichos_Ketra

WZ: Attack the opposing fleet

More formalized version of what people do on open world. You infiltrate a dock and then try to invade and capture objs on opposing fleet. Reward players with something like turn in your pvp dailies/weekly at the opposing factions drop box rewards 2x comms. Put a limiter on fleet for groups no larger than 4 to be able to participate kind of like the Ilum capture the hill, and have it be an opt in thing, red if aggressed.

Good starting idea.

I know what I don't want:

*More Arenas - It's a waste of resources when the majority of players only play normals anyway

*8 vs 8 deathmatch - The main reason to why decent premades are steamrolling pugs isnt because of superior tactics, it's because the average pug is completely worthless at staying alive and killing stuff. Adding a deathmatch mode would just make it ten times worse, especially for the few decent pug who, as a last resort, atleast can take an objective or delay a cap. With 7 team mates who just keeps dying it won't matter what the good pugs do.

So in conclusion, just add different types of CTF already. The current maps could, with some tweaks, support that gametype too.

Edited by MidichIorian

A moving King of the Hill is a game type we have talked about. We like the idea but one concern is that it might end up just being a moving dogpile where the whole team is fighting the entire enemy team, making the whole experience a cluster on one point. What do yall think?

Good luck with the cooking Rasen! :csw_yoda:

I have a potential solution:

The King of the Hill zone is controlled by three terminals in central locations. The terminals are binary: on or off. If the terminals are left alone, one (at random) switches off every 90 seconds or so. There would be a warning light or some sort of way to know when a terminal is close to switching off. By channeling the terminal for a short period of time, the terminal is given a command to prolong the switch remaining on. When two terminals next to each other (either Left + Center or Center + Right) are both set to "off," the King of the Hill zone becomes unsafe and "collapses," killing those inside who can't escape in time. A new zone is established in one of the other potential zone spawn points.

This allows a team that can't gain control of the zone through brute force to coordinate to change the zone location. Meanwhile, if a team is dominating the zone, they have to worry about prolonging the switch that is about to change to keep earning points and to avoid dying.

This also allows for players to use very different playstyles. A tank can sit in the zone, soaking up damage. A healer is appreciated anywhere. A solo stealther can sneak away to make sure that terminal switches to off.

The lore/setting for this map could be something like a mining operation on Mustafar. The terminals are keeping thermal shields active on the King of the Hill zone.

Who cares about new warzones if you dont get a pvp invite?

don't create unconsumable content!!!

Wake up hire some skilled developers and implement state of the art cross realm pvp queues

Got another idea for a map or two, but they would require being able to temporarily set a costume (diving suit or EVA suit) on characters.

One is an underwater map. The other takes place half-in/half-out of a space station or starship. And no, there won't be any swimming in the underwater map or free EVA flight in the space one, so no worries about tech limitations.

If anyone's thinking I'll suggest Manaan and a fight over Kolto for the underwater map, no, actually. I'm going to suggest Hoth. That's right. That frozen ball of ice and rock.

• The map takes place around a salvage operation underway beneath the ice sheet covering Hoth's frozen oceans, which was set up to recover an invaluable ship which crashed through the ice during the Great Galactic War. Each faction has set up a dive platform on either side of the map which pierces through the ice and provides access to the crash site.
  • The two teams fight each other to secure the crash site for their faction. Their goals are to set up and defend underwater defense platforms, which can keep the site secured and attack the other team's dive platform, similar to with the turrets in the Alderaan Civil War map.
  • Success and failure are based on how much damage is done to each team's dive platform by the end of the match. The team with the least damaged platform wins, although complete destruction of the enemy team's platform will guarantee victory.
  • Could potentially tie in with a future flashpoint to explore the crashed vessel.

As for the space map, it would take place on a research station valuable to both the Sith Empire and the Galactic Republic. Both sides want what was being worked on at the station and have to fight each other off before they can take it.

• The map is a double attack capture point map (both teams attacking), with bonus interactables based on point ownership that can alter the route for the other team.
  • Each team starts at one end of the station and work their way towards the center, then the enemy boarding point, as they attempt to capture the points along the way and drive the opposing forces off the station.
  • Players will also need to pay attention to the points they already control, as each team will ultimately have to capture points owned by the other team in order to win.
  • Multiple paths exist through the station, based on whether players use the bonus interactables found throughout. These can be used to alter which paths are available and what hazards are present. For example, a team could access a security terminal to lock out a path through a safer area to the enemy team, forcing them to do an EVA around the station or go through a hazard zone like the station's reactor core. They could also damage a pipe transporting a hazardous compound or electrical cabling, forcing the other team to either go around or take damage by going through.
  • Whichever team takes control of most or all of the points before or by the time limit wins the round.

Edited by Nichos_Ketra

i am abit confused by this thread tbh. the previous thread you posted about answering the pvp communitys questions, pretty much left every pvper either in rage or in shock. and frankly it seemed like the ideas for the future in pvp in SWTOR was rather to remove it. and then this thread pops. april fools?

• Less 4v4 arenas, unless you make them objective based and not just "kill them all and win" warzones.

• Please, bring back 8v8 ranked.

• Please, have a toggle to queue for both regs and ranked at same time.

• Voidstar and Huttball are my two personal favourites mostly because of the objectives, frustrating when you're with non-objective playing pugs but awesome when you get two teams who are both playing the objectives properly.... in short, more objectives and less "just bash them" warzones.

• I'd love a warzone where both opposing teams actually need to fight together to beat a heap of mutual enemies (as well as each other, if they desire) to get to the end objective... only to have to then battle it out at the end for the objective. In my head a scenario / map like the Dread Palace would be great. Five rooms, five objectives, but to make it to each objective both sides need to fight through enemy NPC's together to make it through to the rooms. First team to make it through and to collect the objective inside the room gets a point, the team who caps three objectives wins. This would even work as a 4v4.

Since beta I always wanted to see an Alterac Valley like warzone in SWTOR. Not the current one but the vanilla WoW version that could last for hours :p

Warcamps, reinforcements, structure to destroy, graveyards to capture (respawn), materials to collect, etc.

PS : You can also pick ideas from the link in my sig or right here.

Edited by Hornakkan

What about solo tournament or 2v2 tournament.

You que solo and 8 players are standing agains each other. There's quarter final, then semifinal then final. Winner gets the highest amount of rank, 2nd player gets rank but a bit less than winner semifinalists are getting also a small boost to rank. People who were defeated in quarterfinals are losing rank. As you can imagine it's only for ranked arena and only for solo que. You could make in this "arena" 4 "cages" and in those cages there would be some interesting environment like acid, fire vide hutball.

What if they did a warzone mode like the game Assassin or also known as Gotcha.

Each person has a single target they are after, only they can attack the target while their target has another player that only they can attack. If you kill your target you are now after whoever was their target until only one person remains.

It would have to be a big map with areas to hide. It wouldn't matter if a player is of whatever faction and would do well with 16 or more players.

Of course it would have a timer (15 minutes or so) and when the time runs out attacks start to do more damage as overtime ticks onward.

Ideally it would lead to alliances and double crosses to win the match. The longer you last the more comms, credits and XP you get.

I think no-one has said this (skimmed all 26 pages).

How about GSF style Novare Coast / Alderaan Civil War, where you don't need to actively click the objective but just by being in close proximity while no enemies are, or having more people (+4? +3?) than the opposition will start to switch the control. It would then be more team based, no single stealther keeping a node for team anymore.

I think no-one has said this (skimmed all 26 pages).

How about GSF style Novare Coast / Alderaan Civil War, where you don't need to actively click the objective but just by being in close proximity while no enemies are, or having more people (+4? +3?) than the opposition will start to switch the control. It would then be more team based, no single stealther keeping a node for team anymore.

I would hope that would be how a King of the Hill game type would work. Like the more bodies in the area adds points to your side. Equally numbers of players or maybe +/-1 keeps it contested.

As an Australian I mostly play in offpeak times, so more 4v4 maps would be really nice for those low population time queue pops. Maybe some puzzle stuff like obstacle courses? The defenders could use levers, puzzles, turrets etc to slow down the attackers (eg. defenders could control fire traps, change directions of moving bridges, power up something to increase the time it takes to cap waypoints, activate mines that blowback etc), and maybe engage them face-to-face at the final capture point for the attackers.

I like the Capture the Flag ideas being put forward c:

Vehicle combat is always fun, so letting us get into battle tanks would be wicked awesome if you have that prototyped.

I also liked the suggestion someone had earlier in the thread about zoning in as one of 3 factions (Jawas, Ortolans etc). I'd rep up with a pvp faction for options to choose which premade customisation I could use when I loaded into that wargame if given the option, that would be great fun.

I'm subscriber from the closed beta. Very good game (though I don't like some childish situations).

What I want and I think other people might want.

1. Give us valor and dailies for killing people on some planets or make a special lag-free planet for that (I don't have problems with lags but many people have them as far as I know)

2. Bring back 8vs8 ranked

3. Let people choose what WZ they want to play

4. No bolster for ranked: just check valor = 2018 - that will be enough

5. Allow transfer between regions - I still have my 1st 55 sentinel on USA server that I want to transfer to EU.

6. Make a challenge prize for PVPers - it could be a special slot item or a buff. I propose this as a title that gives +1-2% to all stats. The title could be named "Member of Jedi (Dark) Council". This prize could be aquired once a month for open world PVP events OR it could be given to a person that have 3 to 1 win/loss ratio OR you can make up your own. This should be a VERY hard title to get.

7. Deathmatch arena.

8. 1vs1, 2vs2 arenas

9. Merge servers if you don't have enough population - only 2 servers is enough - PVP and PVE. RP players can play on any server.

10. Make really cool-looking gear and sell it for 10.000 cartel points - that's the amount I have right now but I don't like much cartel goods you sell now. And if anybody tell that you're greedy mofos - send them to me :)

Edited by TurboDron

Ah yes Murderball! I like this game mode but as you alluded to it suffers from the whole team pocket healing one person and turtling.

How would turtling be prevented? How do we keep the crystal moving around? How do we make healers not OP in this game mode? For example, what if you couldn't be healed (like when you are in the Arena sudden death Acid Cloud) while you carried the crystal, good idea? Bad idea?

you guys produce the SAME rehashed warzone's and this is the concern you have in objection to this community idea? how about you stand up and walk back to the cartel store development section and sit down and have a little "think tank" there. do not patronize us. we pay your wages.

I saw this thread yesterday , only got time to write here now. I couldnt read all posts so dont mind if its recommended already.

I want to see walkers and destructable doors/buildings in game. Larger maps with 16v16 setups , ability to use vehicles. This may cover lack of owpvp a bit.

Second thought , if you have to give someone defender role , make it more fun like adding ability to steal back flags/datacrons and carrying to your own base. Bases may have more attackers if its possible to steal and cary back.

For the off topic posters : I strongly support cross-servers , removing bolster from ranked , tuning down bolster at lvl 55. But thats not to way to communicate with people as adults. Saying same things over and over again in every possible platform like my kids asking "are we there yet" every 5 minutes. This attitude and insult based posts do more harm than good to community relations. I think people at BW can read and aware of topics discussed thousand times. They maybe some reasoning behind their decisions which also seems unlogical to me. I suggest staying on topic and giving ideas if you have one.