This game badly needs mods and macros.

Zingas

Wow it's amazing people still think addons and macros are evil, lol. They're nothing more than tools of efficiency. After years of using them on WoW and other games I'll give a simple explanation of both.

As far as macros go, they save on button space mostly (and at lvl 35 I'm already out of buttons). You can do the same thing with macros as you can without them, it's just easier with them. For example, instead of pushing 4 buttons in a row, you push the same button 4 times in a row, or instead of pushing 3 buttons at once for abilities that can be cast at the same time, you push just one button for the same result. I suppose there are people who can push 3 different keyboard keys at the same time without any problem, but most of us I believe are not that dextrous. It might seem like your cheating because of how quickly the abilities are access, but really it just efficiency.

Addons are mostly about customized efficiency. Granted, a lot of people might not mind the default UI in the game, but a lot people also do not. With addons, we can move things around, change shapes, sizes, colors and add more useful tips and information, much like the existing UI, but in a way that better suits the individual. We're not all the same and we need all like things arranged differently. Addons give that ability. And like macros, addons also recreate your UI in such a manner as to access abilites and monitor player status quicker and easier.

As you can see macros and addons do not give you an advantage, unless that advantage is a much more accessible and thereby more efficient iterface with the game. Stated simply, addons and macros are tools for getting the job done easier and enjoying the game more without cheating.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is untrue.

I played 9 yrs of Everquest 1 in a top 5 worldwide raid guild and we didn't have macros, we didn't have add-ons. No DPS meters, no threat meters no heal meters nothing but our own skills and knowledge of the raids.

You do not need add-ons, unless you cannot play the game as it is given to you. If you don't like the game as given to you, play another game?

This game is SW:ToR, not WoW, not Rift. It's SW:ToR. Play it as it was meant to be played. If you can that is..

I don't believe you.

You didn't have a:

/1 (Rot #) Serranex is casting Complete Heal on %T

/cast Complete Heal

/delay 45

/1 (Rot #) Setanian is NEXT!

macro? The clerics in your guild manually typed out who was next? They had an egg timer to tell them the delay?

Damage meters also existed on EQ. Your officers probably used them.

I don't believe you.

Damage meters also existed on EQ. Your officers probably used them.

What you're claiming is the officers cheated because all forms of external executables are or were, against the terms of the EULA. Unless you're claiming some form of in ui add-on which, I am and never was aware of.

All that being said, I have shown how none are needed to complete a raid on eq, wow or SW:ToR.

I really enjoy the use of mods. They greatly enhance the game. My feeling is if you do not like them then don't use them.

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO MODS!!! :D

This "if you do not like them don't use them" line is getting so old.. Here's a play on that..

If you cannot play the game without them, don't play the game :)

...at lvl 35 I'm already out of buttons.

The you're doing something wrong

You can do the same thing with macros as you can without them, it's just easier with them.

Of all the proponent posts I've seen, you're the first to come right out and admit it.

With addons, we can move things around, change shapes, sizes, colors and add more useful tips and information, much like the existing UI, but in a way that better suits the individual.

This leads me to believe there may be a break in terminology at play here. When someone uses the term "addons," I do not think of customizable UI's, I think of things like threat meters.

Stated simply, addons and macros are tools for getting the job done easier...

Thank you once again for your forthrightness.

IMHO, HELL NO to macros. Don't take the skill out of the game. And as for mods, I'd be happy with being able to move the windows around. Don't let this become a game where players requires Mod A or Mod B to join a raid, or mod A makes Player A a better healer, tank, etc than player B just because he has a mod and player B does not.

The problem here is that every got used to easy mode with macros. Now that they actually have to click one button, or God forbid look DOWN to see what debuffs are on them during pvp, they get all worked up.

Say no to macros and add-ons.

I really enjoy the use of mods. They greatly enhance the game. My feeling is if you do not like them then don't use them.

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO MODS!!! :D

That is definitely an option... at least until the devs start creating new content that is predicated upon the usage of said crutches / helpers. This point will inevitably arrive once addons and mods trivialize existing content because at that point, people will be all over these boards qqing about how the raids are too easy because every noob and their brother is clearing it.

Paradox or self-fulfilling prophecy?

I think cars should be banned.

Obviously they're an unfair advantage and everybody will have to buy one in order to go to work. Bosses won't hire you if you don't have a car to come to work and have to rely on public transports' schedule. Women also won't date you if you don't have a car to take them places. Remove cars, they make life too easy.

See what I did there?

Edited by dargor-

Obviously they're an unfair advantage and everybody will have to buy one in order to go to work. Bosses won't hire you if you don't have a car to come to work and have to rely on public transports' schedule. Women also won't date you if you don't have a car to take them places. Remove cars, they make life too easy.

See what I did there?

I don't think that's sufficient enough to explain the sheer-faced idiocy of the anti-mod/macro crowd.

Something like taking a calculator away from an accountant is more appropriate. See, accounting was much more fun before math came along.....

I swear everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read it; which leads credence to my theory that the anti-mod/macro crowd are actually an organized group pulling off a very clever troll.

Personally I feel the game needs both. Macros would really help me save a lot of button space. I have actually run out of key-binds (well from the set I use across all mmos) and am having to come up with new combinations or just click certain abilities which is incredibly frustrating. Addon wise I would really like to see a damage meter. I know its controversial but I would like to know how well i'm performing, simple as. Being able to customize my ui would be nice too. I could live without a boss mod though, but I guess if addons are permitted then a boss mod will be inevitable. Edited by MercyMi

IMHO, HELL NO to macros. Don't take the skill out of the game. And as for mods, I'd be happy with being able to move the windows around. Don't let this become a game where players requires Mod A or Mod B to join a raid, or mod A makes Player A a better healer, tank, etc than player B just because he has a mod and player B does not.

The problem here is that every got used to easy mode with macros. Now that they actually have to click one button, or God forbid look DOWN to see what debuffs are on them during pvp, they get all worked up.

Say no to macros and add-ons.

How does macroing take the skill out of the game? You cant spam 1 button, unless you do it how it was done in RIFT which is retarded which is that proc and cooldown abilities could be macro'd to a spamming ability and then you could play with 1 button. In WoW there was only 1 incedent of macro spam in BC which was for BM hunters and it was actually a bug, because pet abilities didn't cause macros to cancel.

God forbid the UI actually consistently displayed debuffs. Mods and macro allows companies to focus on content. Look at WoW's UI its still the same outside of an equipment manager, redone raid frames and there overlay graphics for procs....similar addons existed for over 8YRS prior to implementation....

Edited by donnajuan

What you're claiming is the officers cheated because all forms of external executables are or were, against the terms of the EULA. Unless you're claiming some form of in ui add-on which, I am and never was aware of.

All that being said, I have shown how none are needed to complete a raid on eq, wow or SW:ToR.

EQ had macros.

EQ also had a combat log that exported DPS numbers to a .txt file. One could then take that .txt file and put it into something called a "Log Parser". This would read the .txt file and give numbers for DPS in your raid.

And macros were certainly needed in EQ. The aforementioned CH chain macro for one. I guarantee that your clerics had macros. I guarantee that your Tanks, Pullers and others had macros as well.

Cars should be banned? Youtube videos should be outlawed? Apples to Oranges, people.

The ability to adjust/customize UI features is not the same as having the ability to allow the game itself to track it's own mechanics so players can avoid responsibility.

Youtube videos and writeups do indeed help players achieve things without the hours upon hours of trail and error they perhaps would have been forced to endure. But no amount of video watching is going to tell a player they're standing in fire in-game like, say, an addon telling you in-game that at this very moment your character is standing in fire. Understand the difference?

If an encounter has fire, the intent is for players to recognize if/when they're standing in said fire and act accordingly. If an attack can/needs to be interrupted, the intent is for players to do so of their own accord. If a player is in need of healing -- and the UI is accurately displaying that need of course -- the intent is for the healer to determine what needs to be done for that player and do it.

It is NOT however the intent of the game to recognize such things for the player and prod them into the appropriate action. Any addon the attempts to do so is going against the game's very design and should never be allowed.

I am 100% in favor of a more customizable UI that allows items to be moved, resized, recolored, displayed differently, etc. And there are definitely some issues within the UI that need to be addressed so that the game is accurately reporting to players the information it's designed to present. If that's what you are arguing for then my suggestion would be to make clear that you are seperate from those who desire the free-for-all addon creation WoW has allowed. For my part personally I am 100% against addons that allow players to shirk their intended gaming responsibilities.

See what I did there?

Most awesome thing I have seen in this thread.

Using a Macro:

Push button 1 on keyboard, once per power: Telekinetic Throw, Project, Telekinetic Throw, Mind Crush, Weaken Mind

Currently Using:

Push button 1 on keyboard, push button 2 on keyboard, push button 1 on keyboard, mouse over and click 2nd bar/1st button, mouse over and click 2nd bar/2nd button

Healing a party is even more painful, considering now I not only have to choose between 8 different heals/cleanses/shields, I ALSO have to either (a) mess with Focuses or (b) individually hit F-Keys (F1, Shift-F1, F2, Shift-F2). When I had Healbot, I could actually see what was going on with the fight... with this new system, I spend most of my healing life staring at the health bar to the right of my own just to make sure I have the right guy targetted.

Yes, addons make the game easier... easy enough to actually enjoy the game. Yes, macros are exploitable - but banning it outright makes it painful for everyone else. It's just like married women, not wanting their husbands to cheat, banning cantinas from the single people. Not everyone here is 18 years old with a .54 second response time... some people are old farts who need the assistance and this inanity is ruining their game just as much.

See what I did there?

All i see is fail to be honest.

Do you compete with the other drivers on how to get to work the fastest? No you don't...

A comparison can be made to racing with traction control/stability control(addons/macros).

Personally i DO NOT WANT third party addons, and while I don't really want any addons at all apart from a customizable UI i can accept it if Bioware has implemented them in the game itself.

Using a Macro:

Push button 1 on keyboard, once per power: Telekinetic Throw, Project, Telekinetic Throw, Mind Crush, Weaken Mind

Currently Using:

Push button 1 on keyboard, push button 2 on keyboard, push button 1 on keyboard, mouse over and click 2nd bar/1st button, mouse over and click 2nd bar/2nd button

Healing a party is even more painful, considering now I not only have to choose between 8 different heals/cleanses/shields, I ALSO have to either (a) mess with Focuses or (b) individually hit F-Keys (F1, Shift-F1, F2, Shift-F2). When I had Healbot, I could actually see what was going on with the fight... with this new system, I spend most of my healing life staring at the health bar to the right of my own just to make sure I have the right guy targetted.

Yes, addons make the game easier... easy enough to actually enjoy the game. Yes, macros are exploitable - but banning it outright makes it painful for everyone else. It's just like married women, not wanting their husbands to cheat, banning cantinas from the single people. Not everyone here is 18 years old with a .54 second response time... some people are old farts who need the assistance and this inanity is ruining their game just as much.

This isn't a marriage this is a game that can and will have a competitive edge. Macro's and third party addons are not in every mmo for starters and secondly some developers feel they are too much of a wild card when they want to focus on other things.

deal.

I don't agree with the OP. While I don't mind certain mods, macros are a waste and only for gamers too lazy to play the game without help.

Games that rely on macros to the point where groups ignore other gamers refusing to be lazy like them are not worth my money and will gladly unsubscribe if BW ever were to add macros.

That being said, the macro-lovers can flame that all they want, but at least I can actually play the game without help.

I don't agree with the OP. While I don't mind certain mods, macros are a waste and only for gamers too lazy to play the game without help.

Games that rely on macros to the point where groups ignore other gamers refusing to be lazy like them are not worth my money and will gladly unsubscribe if BW ever were to add macros.

That being said, the macro-lovers can flame that all they want, but at least I can actually play the game without help.

You're so good at video games. When I grow up, I wanna be just like you.

I'm not quite sure you really understand what a macro does.

Look at it from a business perspective. You are trying to attract players to the game. The easiest groups are SW fans and MMO players. MMO players are going to come from games they have played in the past. Do you know some of those games that have mods and macros.

WOW

Rift

LOTRO

EQ

EQ2

Vanguard

WAR

AoC

Now, think of how it looks to those same players you would love to get to spend $60 and ~$15 a month to play TOR if for whatever reason this one game doesn't allow the community to create or have access to mods and macros.

AND don't get me started on the "quality of life" benefits in game. ;)