Each and every planetary departure/landing cutscene is broken, and I´m sick of it

Lord_Ravenhurst

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New CGI landing cutscene coming soon... 3000 Cartel Coins per planet. 2000 for subs.

I know people who joke about these stuff (e.g. "bug? sure 2000CC") find it hilarious but I truly believe you're doing more harm than good.

What you're doing is accusing them of something they've never done (and if they're in their right mind, they will never do) instead of criticizing/making jokes about the things they are charging CC for and for which you think they shouldn't be.

You guys are essentially, slowly but steadily, normalizing whining about non-existent issues so when real issues do come up, valid criticism will be regarded as "same old, SWTOR forum whining".

You're hurting your own cause.

Just my 2 cents.

I almost spent an hour to put this video together from recent FRAPS recordings

Take this as my bug report.

Basically all planet landing/ departure cutscenes should be trashed and redone from scratch.

Thanks for showing the KOTOR scenes. I don't think I ever saw them before. Every time it tried to show them when I played it would crash the game - I had to disable all cinematic scenes in KOTOR to play the game.

As for your SWtOR cut scenes I don't recall seeing most of these glitches and I don't particularly care to be honest.

My wife and I have been here since the early access and never noticed any problem with the take off and landing cut scenes.

She spacebars through them, but I let them run every time. Maybe it is on your end?

^^ Perhaps this. I have no issues with them either.

I know people who joke about these stuff (e.g. "bug? sure 2000CC") find it hilarious but I truly believe you're doing more harm than good.

What you're doing is accusing them of something they've never done (and if they're in their right mind, they will never do) instead of criticizing/making jokes about the things they are charging CC for and for which you think they shouldn't be.

You guys are essentially, slowly but steadily, normalizing whining about non-existent issues so when real issues do come up, valid criticism will be regarded as "same old, SWTOR forum whining".

Just my 2 cents.

Well said! :i_angel:

As for said topic, is this an actual a bug thing or more a complaint that the cut-scenes are not what the OP wants them to be? I have never had a problem with them personally, and I can understand why they haven't given each planet its own cut-scene.

Just my 2 cents.

/Agree.

So, the OP was perhaps too forceful about the issue, but all you guys saying "who cares" and "troll" and "nonexistent issue" are just as bad.

As someone who does watch these cutscenes and who does care and want them to look good, let me chime in. I have what I consider a decent rig (can run Rome II on Extreme without any drop in framerate, for instance), and always updated drivers, and I am seeing the same issues the OP is seeing. In particular:

1) when approaching planets, during the fade-to-black, the planet will disappear but the halo will stay behind for a second.

2) there is sometimes some pop-in during takeoff, for instance on Republic Taris the ship appears out of thin air instead of coming out of the spaceport.

Not quite related but when loading the hangar on Fleet, the ship pops in when I am three meters from the hatch, which is rather psychedelic...

You may or may not experience these things but they shouldn't happen for anyone on recent hardware, really. Do these stop me from enjoying the game? No. Would I greatly prefer if these things worked properly? Hell yes! This is a legitimate issue that Bioware should address at some point. As a subscriber and CC shopper, I am paying them for my Star Wars fantasy, and my Star Wars fantasy does not include disappearing planets and invisible ships :)

I am seeing the same issues the OP is seeing. In particular:

1) when approaching planets, during the fade-to-black, the planet will disappear but the halo will stay behind for a second.

2) there is sometimes some pop-in during takeoff, for instance on Republic Taris the ship appears out of thin air instead of coming out of the spaceport.

correct, good finds - should have put them into the video

Not quite related but when loading the hangar on Fleet, the ship pops in when I am three meters from the hatch, which is rather psychedelic...

yep, that is a huge immersion breaker which has not been fixed since launch

As a subscriber and CC shopper, I am paying them for my Star Wars fantasy, and my Star Wars fantasy does not include disappearing planets and invisible ships :)

well said

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

So, the OP was perhaps too forceful about the issue, but all you guys saying "who cares" and "troll" and "nonexistent issue" are just as bad.

As someone who does watch these cutscenes and who does care and want them to look good, let me chime in. I have what I consider a decent rig (can run Rome II on Extreme without any drop in framerate, for instance), and always updated drivers, and I am seeing the same issues the OP is seeing. In particular:

You may or may not experience these things but they shouldn't happen for anyone on recent hardware, really. Do these stop me from enjoying the game? No. Would I greatly prefer if these things worked properly? Hell yes! This is a legitimate issue that Bioware should address at some point. As a subscriber and CC shopper, I am paying them for my Star Wars fantasy, and my Star Wars fantasy does not include disappearing planets and invisible ships :)

The point here is that it is a very minor graphics glitch and there are other bugs that affect peoples games in a much more negative way.

I am pretty sure that these minor optimization issues are on their list of things to do, but they are pretty far down on that list compared to alot of other, more damaging, issues.

The fact that Lord Ravenwurst is ranting about this as if it was the end of the world means that few people will respond in a reasonable way.

And that is to be expected. When you complain about something, anything, in a way that makes you come off as completely mad, you will not get many calm and sensible answers back.

I too get those issues you mentioned from time to time (well, not the ship loading thing, but the other one). And it would be great if they fixed it.

But it is not a priority issue. And it shouldn't be.

Ps. I not only watch these cutscenes, I record them as part of my videos for youtube. So I am aware of the issue, but it is a rare issue.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

The point here is that it is a very minor graphics glitch

there are dozens and dozens of "minor graphics glitches"

and those are just a few samples, there is tons of more stuff like that.

I am pretty sure that these minor optimization issues are on their list of things to do,

Sorry but 24 months after launch I´m fed up with waiting for someone at BW replacing these sloppy and sad excuses for Star Wars cutscenes. KOTOR´s CGI cutscenes were hundred times better.

Smart choice to put tons of money into TOR CGI trailers people see once, but putting those buggy trash cutscenes which are seen by players every day since launch into the actual game.

Remeber how they promoted the game in 2009 showing lots of CGI cutscenes?

http://youtu.be/TxC_5Jlddek?t=14s

I do.

"DECEIVED" was the tagline of one trailer - how appropriate. :rolleyes:

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

Glitches are one thing, stuff's gonna glitch.

My "issue" with existing cut scenes with a few notable examples ala the opening shot right after the crawl or Makeb/Oricon is they were not given much attention at all. Ship rises, rotates 180deg, moves its fins a bit, bolts it in a str8 line.

But so it's not all criticism: I've been very pleasantly surprised that the quality has risen since going F2P and that ships in cutscenes are starting to fly in a more believable/aesthetically pleasing manner. It could be that making GS gave them some tools that make their lives easier capturing/creating flight.

The new fleet landing scenes on PTS are finger licking good. Amazingly beautiful, I hopped fleet-ship-fleet three times the first time I saw them lol. They'll impress the heck out of f2p people playing the game for the first time not spacebaring like crazy, whereas before, it was a bit cringe-worthy. Big thumb up Bioware.

Edited by aeterno

there are dozens and dozens of "minor graphics glitches"

and those are just a few samples, there is tons of more stuff like that.

Sorry but 24 months after launch I´m fed up with waiting for someone at BW replacing these sloppy and sad excuses for Star Wars cutscenes. KOTOR´s CGI cutscenes were hundred times better.

Smart choice to put tons of money into TOR CGI trailers people see once, but putting those buggy trash cutscenes which are seen by players every day since launch into the actual game.

Remeber how they promoted the game in 2009 showing lots of CGI cutscenes?

http://youtu.be/TxC_5Jlddek?t=14s

I do.

"DECEIVED" was the tagline of one trailer - how appropriate. :rolleyes:

Well then, I'm going to be blunt with you here Ravenburst... If this upsets you to the degree that it seems to do, maby you should quit the game.

I mean, if these minor graphical glitches (dozens or not) are upsetting you this much, you would have a complete meltdown every time there is a major bug.

And as this is an MMO, there will be plenty of major bugs.

So for your own sake (and ours), maby you should find some other game to play. Something more stable. Maby KotOR?

Oh wait, someone else had the same problem I had back with that game, it crashed every time there was a cutscene... nevermind.

Try Jedi Academy. That might work.

I think their metrics show them that 99% of the time people hit spacebar anyways to get to their ship or planet. So not something that's high on their priority list. I know it's just my feeling but I've got this idea it's a reasonable assumption.

[...]

when approaching planets, during the fade-to-black, the planet will disappear but the halo will stay behind for a second

Is "first world problem" better?

Is "first world problem" better?

All problems we have are first world problems. Servers blowing up would still be a first world problem. Unless you wanna explain a Somali orphan how your imaginary stoff is important.

So let's not get into a "my mmo irk is more important than yours" contest.

Besides, evidently it is important enough to BW cos again, they did a major overhaul of some of them that you can go look at on the PTS. Doesn't really matter if all of us spacebar all of them, the devs are apparently still out to woo people that won't spacebar through it and want to make them prettier (which one would assume also includes bug free) for them.

Edited by aeterno

That's what several of us have told you, and they really do work properly for me every time, don't know why they don't for you.

Yep, I don't recall seeing those glitches before.

I thought he was talking about the "glitch" where if you Force Speed quickly to the exit after flying to a new planet you zone through a wormhole rather than get the usual animation.

That video was hillarious though. :p

Edited by Callaron