Why are their no macro's again?

Nikkalos

following this train of thought, the very existance of gadgets like razer nagas and nostromo gamepads would affect my playstyle. and whats even worse, since they cost real money ( and they arent precisely cheap ) perhaps Im not even getting the option to use them or not.

if macros arent allowed, this gadgets should be forbidden for the very same reasons, and then some more

But how are they going to stop razor users? They can't barge in and confiscate people's mouses.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well now it goes into "which logic is best" conversation. If there is one way to cheat should it be allowed all to cheat? Not in my mind... There are "limitations" that i see as part of the game and as such game wouldn't be same without "the chance i do smth wrong" even if it is missed stim/adr/mount/rocket boost.

Devices don't chage my opinnion about the matter, i dont think game need's or should be simplified in this sense.

And ofc i aint gonna be jesus about the matter... if macros come into game i prolly use atleast some. But as my opinnion to the question (should there be macros) i say no, and till that day i feel all macro users are cheating ;)

Just because YOU don't feel like they are needed, doesn't mean they are not needed. I like to PvP in my games. And in PvP, to go pro, you need to TRY to be the best. Clickin {or hotkey pressing} my undying rage ability, 'then' my PvP medpac, 'then' my reusable chemist medpac, all right behind each other; When none of these are on global cooldown (correct me if im wrong), will make me miss a 1-second window where I could have pressed an attack.

With a macro.. I have all these 3 items/skills on 1 button. I press that 1 button and then continue to fight. My proper use of macro's has saved me from pushing 4 buttons in 1 global rotation, into pushing 2. Moments like those are what separates an average PvPer from a high ranking PvPer. And I like to be the best... Yay, power, yay Sith.

And that right there is why they do not want macros in game.

You're not the best of the best, when you can push one button & activate moves. In some ways that's cheating.

The rotations are there for a purpose. I disagree with different things BW does, but in your case I totally agree with the "no macros".

Pressing 1 button & activating 3 skills, while you're still activating other ones does nothing but give you an unfair advantage. Doesn't mean your the best, because your definitely not skilled.

Learn to click buttons faster. The closest thing you're gonna get to a macro is using the number keys on specific actions while mousing over some others.

You want to go pro? L2P. Like some of the ones that are already PvPing without using macros or cheats. Those are some of the best.

They don't want a higher barrier?... Wait a minute... then make constantly activated abilities "that are not on global cooldown" passive.

If I had macro's the first thing I would do is make cloak of pain on my marauder macro'd to cast every time I use my basic attack. So it will always be on cooldown.

Cloak of pain has a 1 minute cooldown. And last's 30 seconds if used properly... Cmon... So it's a passive buff lasting half it's cooldown? Just make it ALWAYS passive with a half as usefull affect?

These are examples of why players use macro's... Why should I have to push cloak of pain constantly WHILE pushing other combat skills. With macro's I can remove it from my action bars and focus on more important defensive cooldowns.

Just because YOU don't feel like they are needed, doesn't mean they are not needed. I like to PvP in my games. And in PvP, to go pro, you need to TRY to be the best. Clickin {or hotkey pressing} my undying rage ability, 'then' my PvP medpac, 'then' my reusable chemist medpac, all right behind each other; When none of these are on global cooldown (correct me if im wrong), will make me miss a 1-second window where I could have pressed an attack.

With a macro.. I have all these 3 items/skills on 1 button. I press that 1 button and then continue to fight. My proper use of macro's has saved me from pushing 4 buttons in 1 global rotation, into pushing 2. Moments like those are what separates an average PvPer from a high ranking PvPer. And I like to be the best... Yay, power, yay Sith.

This is EXACTLY why the devs do not allow macros. I believe that the devs have repeatedly stated that they do not allow macros because they do not want people "chaining" actions to perform multiple items/skills with the press of one button. They want each and every item/skill to require a separate click or press of a button.

following this train of thought, the very existance of gadgets like razer nagas and nostromo gamepads would affect my playstyle. and whats even worse, since they cost real money ( and they arent precisely cheap ) perhaps Im not even getting the option to use them or not.

if macros arent allowed, this gadgets should be forbidden for the very same reasons, and then some more

The devs have indicated that if a player is using something akin to a nostramo or razr naga, as long as each "macro'd" button only performs one skill/item, that is legal. Unless I am mistaken, they have also indicated that it is a violation of the TOS and subject to action if that player binds multiple items/actions to a single keypress.

This is EXACTLY why the devs do not allow macros. I believe that the devs have repeatedly stated that they do not allow macros because they do not want people "chaining" actions to perform multiple items/skills with the press of one button. They want each and every item/skill to require a separate click or press of a button.

Yes, it players become less skillful since they only have to press one button, therefore don't have to juggle abilities and actually pay attention.

Mind you some people are very fanatical about macro's so I'm not going to criticisize (although I'm not above implying criticism).

Edited by AlexDougherty

sorry but you seem to be in direct contradiction with the devs here

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6459160#edit6459160

I just dont understand why they allow something but then dont give the proper tools to use it ingame, knowing that people with expensive gadgets can get that functionality (by paying real life money to get it )

I would think it is because allowing the example you give would, bu its very nature, allow the types of macros t hat ARE against the TOS. Then the question becomes how do they take action against one type of "allowed" macro and not another type of "allowed" macro. The easiest answer is to not allow macros at all.

But how are they going to stop razor users? They can't barge in and confiscate people's mouses.

If someone using an "illegal" macro on a razr gets reported and investigation "proves" that the player is using an "illegal" macro on the razr, BW simply bans the guilty party. No one is going to take the razr away. They will take away the right to play their game.

I would think it is because allowing the example you give would, bu its very nature, allow the types of macros t hat ARE against the TOS. Then the question becomes how do they take action against one type of "allowed" macro and not another type of "allowed" macro. The easiest answer is to not allow macros at all.

then it begs the question, why arent they following that same hard stance on those using third party hardware/ software? its not like they cant single out those using them, I know for certain that for BW its just trivial knowing who is using what peripheral/running what macro/click application along with their game.

Edited by blackcerberus

They said simple macros are coming without an ETA, just sit tight, be patient and enjoy what the game has to offer on the meantime. There are things that are in higher priority than that. Wait your turn and in the meanwhile use those clickable icons. Edited by Nemmar

then it begs the question, why arent they following that same hard stance on those using third party hardware/ software? its not like they cant single out those using them, I know for certain that for BW its just trivial knowing who is using what peripheral/running what macro/click application along with their game.

They do, they generally discourage third party software, with only a handful being acceptable, if it alters how you play then it's probably considered a cheat.

Sorry... I don't understand... Macro's don't give you an advantage, their fair, they fix problems the game developers put in combat. Oh, and the most important part of all... THEY ARE OPTIONAL!!!

Me having macro's has nothing to do with another player who doesn't use them. So why should I not have them?

If all this were true, then your reason for wanting them is what again??

No.. They don't fix anything.. Or is that your way of hiding the advantage you say isn't there??

Why should you not have them?? Wait?? Let's talk about why you should have them first.. :)

/Agree.

And frankly, after Rift.... I fully support that stance. Rift put the cherry on top of absurd with macros converting game play to one button gerbil hopping play style.

Don't get me wrong, macros are not fundamentally bad per se, it's just that when taken to absurd extremes they make game play absurd. Why play the game at all if that's the way you want to play it, IMO.

If I had macro's the first thing I would do is make cloak of pain on my marauder macro'd to cast every time I use my basic attack. So it will always be on cooldown.

Cloak of pain has a 1 minute cooldown. And last's 30 seconds if used properly... Cmon... So it's a passive buff lasting half it's cooldown? Just make it ALWAYS passive with a half as usefull affect?

Logitech G15 Keyboard and/or Razer Naga. You're welcome.

Both allow for programmed macros and with the Razer Naga you can even have specific profiles so each character/class has their own setup.

There is nothing wrong with macroes. For a sci fi type game some posters in this thread come across as Luddites.

Using macros is less about player crutch or lack of skill, and more about circumventing bad design.

If the Devs want each button press to be significant, then make each button worth pressing. Currently there are so many situational buttons its kind of silly.

Macroes clean up bad design more than they support lack of skill.

My shadow looks forward to some cascade macroes if I don't get a naga to do it first.

Sorry... I don't understand... Macro's don't give you an advantage, their fair, they fix problems the game developers put in combat. Oh, and the most important part of all... THEY ARE OPTIONAL!!!

Me having macro's has nothing to do with another player who doesn't use them. So why should I not have them?

Or mentoring, not to derail your thread but Rift has both of these and they are NOT a detriment to the game they are a BOON.

You have to be really bad to need macros in this game. l2p

Need? Yes, I agree. Want? No. Macros can help eliminate some of the sillier things you have to do such as: Acid Blade every 15-18 secs, casting multiple DoTs for Lethality specs, mouseover healing, etc.

It's not always a l2p issue, sometimes it's just a 'really? Why not?' issue.

Need? Yes, I agree. Want? No. Macros can help eliminate some of the sillier things you have to do such as: Acid Blade every 15-18 secs, casting multiple DoTs for Lethality specs, mouseover healing, etc.

It's not always a l2p issue, sometimes it's just a 'really? Why not?' issue.

Stop being lazy.

Nice troll attempt. 1/10.

Stop being lazy.

Exactly.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

It is quite funny how Macros users defend their stance saying the game's design is bad... It is really an issue of being lazy and not wanting to press several buttons. lol.

If you use macros and most of the players prefer a honest gaming experience that requires skill then that makes you a cheater and not a true gamer.

Logitech G15 Keyboard and/or Razer Naga. You're welcome.

Both allow for programmed macros and with the Razer Naga you can even have specific profiles so each character/class has their own setup.

If you want to risk banning by using hardware to circumvent the in game ability to "chain" multiple actions to a single keystroke, be my guest.