Dont add PvE to galactic starfighter!

The_Grand_Nagus

Sure, the majority of players prefer PvE. Sure, the majority of players want PvE added to galactic starfighter. But who says the majority know best? If people want to enjoy the new free-flight space system, then FORCE them to PvP!

Besides, its just way too hard designing AI that can fly in space, and doing hard things isnt fun. So why bother? Dont add PvE to Galactic Starfighter!!!

:)

Blame, EA, bro. SSSP has taken so long because EA keeps Bioware on a shoestring budget, and they didn't want to fund the staff necessary to write the AI for PvE. Electronic Arts is one of the big poisoned pills of the gaming industry.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's posting this thread because Space PvP is a massive flop. The best "review" that I have seen for it was from a person who is a die-hard SWTOR PvP fan and he said it's "Okay" the first few times and then it's boring. Every other competitive PvPer said it's garbage.

Really....that would be surprising to me, and to be honest I would be a bit skeptical as well.

It is certainly possible they could have done a horrible job on it, but it would be pretty hard to do so. BF2 is actually a very simple game with it's multiplayer PVP space combat...it would be pretty tough to screw that up.

I would appreciate links if they could be provided.

So this is a reverse psychology thread? If that is the case, isnt that beyond silly?

Hardly. The system isnt even out yet, but I'm sure that people will love being forced to PvP if they want to play the new free flight system :)

I'm just using the feedback people gave me(Those in the beta).

Really....that would be surprising to me, and to be honest I would be a bit skeptical as well.

It is certainly possible they could have done a horrible job on it, but it would be pretty hard to do so. BF2 is actually a very simple game with it's multiplayer PVP space combat...it would be pretty tough to screw that up.

I would appreciate links if they could be provided.

So this is a reverse psychology thread? If that is the case, isnt that beyond silly?

It's not through "links". It's people in the beta that I have talked to because they don't care about the NDA. Most people claimed it's terrible, but we have one who said it's "Okay".

It's not through "links". It's people in the beta that I have talked to because they don't care about the NDA. Most people claimed it's terrible, but we have one who said it's "Okay".

Careful; even though you are not in beta yourself, it is still technically against the rules for you to post what those folks who are have told you. I think...

Careful; even though you are not in beta yourself, it is still technically against the rules for you to post what those folks who are have told you. I think...

Seeing as I won't be able to post anymore(Next forum maintenance) and I didn't mention the people's names, let them ban me for all I care. :)

Ah. Fair enough. Well, I hope it is not as bad as they say. Perhaps it will not appeal to pure PVP players....that would not be a surprise, as BF2 did not appeal to many hardcore PVP players either.

Some folks love gear driven PVE based PVP....and this is likely not it.

That does not mean they are wrong...it just remains to be seen IMO.

Ah. Fair enough. Well, I hope it is not as bad as they say. Perhaps it will not appeal to pure PVP players....that would not be a surprise, as BF2 did not appeal to many hardcore PVP players either.

Some folks love gear driven PVE based PVP....and this is likely not it.

That does not mean they are wrong...it just remains to be seen IMO.

Well, like I said... it won't save competitive PvP in this game, but I don't see it lasting more than a month(The person that said it was okay claimed that it won't last more than 3 days).

Maybe the casuals will play it for an extra week or two... I'm not sure.

*Edit*

If you want, another person told me that he will give me his review in 45 minutes.

Edited by SithEBM

Seeing as I won't be able to post anymore(Next forum maintenance) and I didn't mention the people's names, let them ban me for all I care. :)

I dont know...I've heard that story over and over from other folks and their posting ability never seems to expire. If you keep you nose clean you might be able to stick around for a very long time :p

Well, like I said... it won't save competitive PvP in this game, but I don't see it lasting more than a month(The person that said it was okay claimed that it won't last more than 3 days).

Maybe the casuals will play it for an extra week or two... I'm not sure.

Well, here is what I think...this is unqualified, speculative and the lot. So take it as you will.

BF2...if that is the closest comparison....was one of the most popular SW games ever made. In fact folks still play it today. It is essentially Quake in space with fighters, if you could say that.

That does not appeal to everyone, but surprisingly it DOES appeal to a large group of casual players, for a few reasons IMO....

1) Easy to learn and approach, uncomplicated.

2) Fast paced and depends on skill, like most FPS games.

3) Goal is to kill and stay alive. Death is an interruption of fun...nothing more.

4) Progression does not provide any real boost in ability...only a very slight edge.

For those reasons it is very easy for a PVE player to pick it up and play it...and it is a competitive game that a PVE player can handle since pro players do not have a real edge over new ones. A noob can still smack you down if you make mistakes or are just unlucky.

For that reason this feature, if it is anything like BF2 may have a wider appeal than one might expect.

I dont know...I've heard that story over and over from other folks and their posting ability never seems to expire. If you keep you nose clean you might be able to stick around for a very long time :p

Depends on the maintenance.

On October 29th, all game servers, SWTOR.com, and the launcher will be unavailable while we perform scheduled maintenance. Game Update 2.4.2 will be implemented during this downtime. Details are as follows:

Date: Tuesday October 29th, 2013

Duration: 4.5 hours

Time: 3AM PDT (10AM UTC) - 7:30AM PDT (2:30PM UTC)

During maintenance, all updates and additional information will be posted on our Twitter account.

Thank you for your patience as we maintain service for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

Yeah, that's it for me lol

For that reason this feature, if it is anything like BF2 may have a wider appeal than one might expect.

What I'm trying to say is that it will do nothing for competitive PvPers at all. If my "contact" doesn't forget to give me his review, I'll be sure to share it with everyone without including his name. This guy is even more of a Star Wars fan than the last person who said it was "Okay".

Speculation time:

This will be a massive flop which will do nothing for the casual community, RPers, and PvErs. There's always a possibility that I could be wrong, however I have been correct about everything that I have stated in my petition *so far*. Outside of my petition(I didn't include Space PvP in it), I have been correct with all other speculations that I have had.

Sure, one could hope that they turn this game around and succeed, but it's not going to happen with PvP. The only way I'd ever return at this point is if:

1). They lower the sub price(If they allow F2P to have unlimited access to wzs, then they should do this).

2). A continuation of Revan's story.

3). If they turn this game around.

Well, here is what I think...this is unqualified, speculative and the lot. So take it as you will.

BF2...if that is the closest comparison....was one of the most popular SW games ever made. In fact folks still play it today. It is essentially Quake in space with fighters, if you could say that.

That does not appeal to everyone, but surprisingly it DOES appeal to a large group of casual players, for a few reasons IMO....

1) Easy to learn and approach, uncomplicated.

2) Fast paced and depends on skill, like most FPS games.

3) Goal is to kill and stay alive. Death is an interruption of fun...nothing more.

4) Progression does not provide any real boost in ability...only a very slight edge.

For those reasons it is very easy for a PVE player to pick it up and play it...and it is a competitive game that a PVE player can handle since pro players do not have a real edge over new ones. A noob can still smack you down if you make mistakes or are just unlucky.

I agree BF2 is a great game. However, your logic in a nutshell is "if you enjoy PvE in MMOs, you will probably enjoy FPS style PvP", and I do not agree with that. Those 2 types of gameplay are pretty much polar opposites. There is no doubt that *some* people enjoy both, but I do not think that is the norm.

For the people who choose not to PvP in this game, I dont think their reason is its too complicated. I think that for most of them, they either A) do not like the emotional feeling of getting killed by another player or B) do not like the stereotypical behavior of some PvP players. While FPS style PvP is less complicated than MMO PvP as far as gear goes, it still has those same 2 elements that someone may not like about PvP in MMOs.

I agree BF2 is a great game. However, your logic in a nutshell is "if you enjoy PvE in MMOs, you will probably enjoy FPS style PvP", and I do not agree with that. Those 2 types of gameplay are pretty much polar opposites. There is no doubt that *some* people enjoy both, but I do not think that is the norm.

For the people who choose not to PvP in this game, I dont think their reason is its too complicated. I think that for most of them, they either A) do not like the emotional feeling of getting killed by another player or B) do not like the stereotypical behavior of some PvP players. While FPS style PvP is less complicated than MMO PvP as far as gear goes, it still has those same 2 elements that someone may not like about PvP in MMOs.

^ This.

Edited by SithEBM

Well here is his review *Keep in mind, this man is a HUGE SW fan:

I dont think being a SW fan really has anything to do with it. A better question would be, is he a fan of this game in general? Additionally, is he a fan of space combat in games like BF2? Those would be much more pertinent than whether he is simply a fan of the SW franchise.

I dont think being a SW fan really has anything to do with it. A better question would be, is he a fan of this game in general? Additionally, is he a fan of space combat in games like BF2? Those would be much more pertinent than whether he is simply a fan of the SW franchise.

He is a strong fan of this game in general(Not too fond of PvE, but he was interested in the space PvP), just hates BioWare's incompetence.

*Edit*

He might break the NDA(Technically he already broke it) and post on the forums soon.

Edited by SithEBM

Sure, the majority of players prefer PvE. Sure, the majority of players want PvE added to galactic starfighter. But who says the majority know best? If people want to enjoy the new free-flight space system, then FORCE them to PvP!

Besides, its just way too hard designing AI that can fly in space, and doing hard things isnt fun. So why bother? Dont add PvE to Galactic Starfighter!!!

:)

Neither of those two threads prove that a majority wants PvE.

So quit your whining.

(ps. I do want PvE, but this is the wrong way to go about getting it)

The bottom line: No matter how much a lot of us prefer PvP over PvE, SWTOR is a game that consists of both, and catering to one demographic over the other alienates the other; a plethora of historical samples across various games exist attesting to this. The average "casual," if you will, player is often intimidated or even put off by the outliers that exist within the wide range player skill. If space dogfighting inexperience already precludes them from participating, berating and alienating them on the forums won't achieve your desired "FORCING" them to PvP, either. They're going to see us as elitist, which will further divide the community and torpedo any future cohabitation of both worlds, or diversification of content.

I don't know about you, but I don't log into a video game to PvP EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I like it, sure, but even I need a break. When the NGE killed SWG, I was relieved to still have JTL to fall back on, and even with a dead server before me, I still had a black abyss full of starships to destroy, and projects to build. That put me in a much better position to PvP down the road when I did finally transfer to a server with an active PvP community. Breaking new pilots into the scene, even if initially by PvE, is still better than whiplashing them into a narcissistic PvP community that will ultimately reject them in the first place.

At the end of the day, any content for free flight space is going to be good content, PvE or not. I know how I first got interested in space PvP dogfighting: PVE. Now I *LOVE* it. Imagine that. Not everyone can just be shoehorned into a twitch PvP experience. It doesn't make them lesser, and it doesn't make us greater because of it.

Not everyone can just be shoehorned into a twitch PvP experience.

Bioware disagrees. That is why they are releasing the long requested free-flight space system as PvP only, with no plans for adding PvE in the foreseeable future. The are professionals, so they obviously know what they are doing, and I'm sure people will love being forced to PvP if they want to play free-flight space :)

Edited by The_Grand_Nagus