Dont add PvE to galactic starfighter!

The_Grand_Nagus

If they're being *forced* to *enjoy* anything, they're obviously not going to enjoy it. If they don't like ground-based PvP, they're not going to like space PvP either. Besides, everyone already knows that GS is not launching with PvE missions, so creating a third thread about this is a pointless waste of space.

They might. I don't enjoy ground PvP (in MMO's) but I think I'm going to enjoy the space PvP since it is completely different.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the first expansion for the game was announced way back in 2001 during the beta tests...

Earlier you said it took 3 years to develop JTL, so it sounds like you are assuming that they started working on it the day the announced it. It is more likely that they were still working on the core ground game at that time, and planned to get JTL ready once that was done. Since we dont know when they actually started work on JTL, we dont know how long it took to develop. But my point again is, when they announced it in 2001, they were still probably hard at work on the ground game and hadnt started work on JTL yet :)

Edited by The_Grand_Nagus

Earlier you said it took 3 years to develop JTL. However, it sounds like you are assuming that they started working on it the day the announced it. It is more likely that they were still working on the core ground game at that time, and planned to get JTL ready once that was done. Since we dont know when they actually started work on JTL, we dont know how long it took to develop. But my point again is, when they announced it in 2001, they were still probably hard at work on the ground game and hadnt started work on JTL yet :)

Ha, you failed to one up him. Let it go.

Not worried about points, just entertaining conversations. Thanks for the bump :)

So this is just about seeing your name on the forums and has nothing to do with improvements to the game or making a good argument...

Had a feeling, but happy to see it confirmed.

He's posting this thread because Space PvP is a massive flop. The best "review" that I have seen for it was from a person who is a die-hard SWTOR PvP fan and he said it's "Okay" the first few times and then it's boring. Every other competitive PvPer said it's garbage.

who said this?? what review?? post the link to it... or is it when you kiddies don't get what you want you just make up stuff to support your never ending whine fest?? ( get some cheese to go with it)

who said this?? what review?? post the link to it... or is it when you kiddies don't get what you want you just make up stuff to support your never ending whine fest?? ( get some cheese to go with it)

He has friends in beta. I dont judge things based on other people's reviews though, I like to try them for myself. And I have no doubt that forcing people to PvP if they want to play the new free flight space system is going to be a winning business strategy :)

He has friends in beta. I dont judge things based on other people's reviews though, I like to try them for myself. And I have no doubt that forcing people to PvP if they want to play the new free flight space system is going to be a winning business strategy :)

If that's the case, his friends broke NDA. I don't believe anyone who doesn't have the character to follow along with the rules they followed.

If that's the case, his friends broke NDA. I don't believe anyone who doesn't have the character to follow along with the rules they followed.

Its not a matter of "believing" them or not; they have an opinion. Their opinion is neither "right" or "wrong", it is just their opinion. That is why I dont judge things based on other people's opinions, and prefer to try them for myself :)

Guys...I really don't like pointing this out, but there are not enough PVP players, certainly not competitive ones to have any real effect on the game or it's features IMO....so if they see something as a flop it will likely not be a flop. In fact I believe it would not even be a bump.

Note....that does not mean PVP players are not important, making sure they are satisfied is not important...ALL PLAYERS ARE IMPORTANT IMO, even if they are small part of the overall game population.

All it means is that if competitive PVP players do not approve of the upcoming feature it is likely it will not have any significant impact on it's reception or the game's population.

The REAL gauge will be how casual players feel about it. That TRULY can sink it.

Just my slant.

Edited by LordArtemis

PVE will kill GS. I want BW working on more PvP content, like guild capital ships, multiplayer ships maybe a huge warzone with pubs and imps fighting to destroy and defend a superweapon or ¨deathstar station¨. PvE in a 2 faction game in war have no sense. I mean why you want to fight imperials or republic NPC or pilots when you have a full faction of players to do it?, and like it or not we have more people playing warzones and arenas everyday than OP and FP, all the people complaining because GS have no PvE to explore or mining an asteroid, will be playing the xpac soon or later doing, guess what, PvP. Edited by skygon

Earlier you said it took 3 years to develop JTL, so it sounds like you are assuming that they started working on it the day the announced it. It is more likely that they were still working on the core ground game at that time, and planned to get JTL ready once that was done. Since we dont know when they actually started work on JTL, we dont know how long it took to develop. But my point again is, when they announced it in 2001, they were still probably hard at work on the ground game and hadnt started work on JTL yet :)

They don't announce an expansion with details of its content without starting to work on it. When something is announced to the public, work has already begun. Thats just the way it works within the software industry.

Due to my status as a gaming legend playing MMOs since 1776, the industry consulted me recently in desperation about the "PvE vs. PvP" situation and I came up with a new buzzword and concept which is now embraced by several developers, working on upcoming titles for 2014/15:

I present to you: PvDuck

Yes, I just revealed to you that the future of gaming is Player vs. Duck

"Why" you might ask, and I am happy to enlighten you mere mortals:

- Ducks can be controlled either by artificial intelligence or human intelligence, the clue is that you won´t notice a difference.

- Ducks are loveable creatures everyone adores, so this new concept will bring together former PvEers, PvPers and the filthy scum that used to play both aspects not joining into ideological debates.

- Ducks have cute feet

- Profit

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

They don't announce an expansion with details of its content without starting to work on it. When something is announced to the public, work has already begun. Thats just the way it works within the software industry.

So you think that 2 years before the game actually launched, they were already done with the ground game and already working on the expansion? The fact that they werent even done with ground vehicles at launch suggests otherwise :)

So you think that 2 years before the game actually launched, they were already done with the ground game and already working on the expansion? The fact that they werent even done with ground vehicles at launch suggests otherwise :)

Never said that. But part of their team would be working on it. Even if they were only working on it by making concept art and sketching on whiteboards about how they would make the expansion.

Never said that. But part of their team would be working on it. Even if they were only working on it by making concept art and sketching on whiteboards about how they would make the expansion.

Ah, now that I can actually agree with. But I doubt they were doing any serious development before the core ground game was finished :)

Ah, now that I can actually agree with. But I doubt they were doing any serious development before the core ground game was finished :)

Since the last year or so of development in a game is "fine tuning", alot of the people on the team are moved on to other tasks. So they were probably pretty far into the actual development by the time the game was released.

And like it or not we have more people playing warzones and arenas everyday than OP and FP, all the people complaining because GS have no PvE to explore or mining an asteroid, will be playing the xpac soon or later doing, guess what, PvP.

I really don't understand where people get these claims from. Care to name your source that tells you that more people play warzones than flashpoints?

As for the second part, I can tell you that if someone does not like PvP, he won't play PvP. You don't selectively like or dislike PvP, you either like playing against other players or you don't. If you don't, you won't enjoy playing space PvP either, just as you don't enjoy ground PvP.

I don't see how PvE would "kill" Galactic Starfighter, if anything it would add more diversity and appeal to more players. Bioware's claim that space AI is hard to develop is total BS. Two Battlefront games did it, SWG did it, hell even Rogue Squadron had flight AI. It's just stupid laziness on their part and the fact that they invest all of their money into the damn Cartel Market.

I don't see how PvE would "kill" Galactic Starfighter, if anything it would add more diversity and appeal to more players. Bioware's claim that space AI is hard to develop is total BS. Two Battlefront games did it, SWG did it, hell even Rogue Squadron had flight AI. It's just stupid laziness on their part and the fact that they invest all of their money into the damn Cartel Market.

Two things. First I'm a little worried that Bioware will use the numbers from people playing or not playing the PvP space missions as an excuse to not put resources into PvE space missions. In the event that the space pvp is not well received.

I'm also a little disappointed by Bioware's response. I've heard devs say they couldn't do something before only to turn around many months later and release the very thing they said they couldn't do. It's either possible or they'll do the R&D to figure it out.

Edited by Lord_of_Mu

Popularity test

Queue for Flashpoint: half an hour wait time

Queue for Warzone: one minute wait time

PvP wins popularity test by a long shot.

Bioware should only do PvP+PvE combined concepts to help the popularity of poor PvE a bit

Like throw in some NPCs into the PvP battle for GS 2.0

We want PvAll, make it so

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

Sure, the majority of players prefer PvE. Sure, the majority of players want PvE added to galactic starfighter. But who says the majority know best? If people want to enjoy the new free-flight space system, then FORCE them to PvP!

Besides, its just way too hard designing AI that can fly in space, and doing hard things isnt fun. So why bother? Dont add PvE to Galactic Starfighter!!!

:)

You're fighting a losing battle here. They have long been in the mentality of "majority pays more". This is why we have e-sport Warzones and ****** PvP zones. Majority wanted that, but it doesnt make it best. They cant ignore the majority as that is where they will get most of their money. If enough people want it implemented and it doesn't break the game (sometimes even if it Does break the game) it will eventually get put in.

I was pretty bummed on beta/release when i saw the ****** state of PvP end game. I havent played in a long time and just came back to play through a story, but it doesnt look like much has changed on that front.

Again the only thing I don´t like is that space is now "a warzone"

ok fine they can´t do NPC AI in space, no problem

ok fine they can´t let more players into one instance than 24, no problem

BUT they could add 100 sectors to roam around freely

BUT they could add mining asteroids

BUT they could add stations to land on seamlessly in space

BUT they could add trading, and cargo transporting, and guild ships

BUT they could add player driven economy and even territory warfare

BUT they could add something like the Death Star with one side playing Republic and the other side playing Imperial

and recreate the Death Star Attack

nothing of that requires NPC AI or letting more players than 24 into a single instance

It sounds like what you want is EvE with a Death Star.

I really don't understand where people get these claims from. Care to name your source that tells you that more people play warzones than flashpoints?

As for the second part, I can tell you that if someone does not like PvP, he won't play PvP. You don't selectively like or dislike PvP, you either like playing against other players or you don't. If you don't, you won't enjoy playing space PvP either, just as you don't enjoy ground PvP.

How much time you have to wait for a FP?, even the new one where in Story mode you can do it with 4 dps.

-More than 30 min, and you just need 4 players, and we dont have problems with the lack of Tanks and Healers in this game for a FP.

How much time you have to wait for a Wz?, where you need 16 players or at least 8 for an arena.

- 1 to 5 min and on primetime sometimes is even less than 1 min.

A PvE space FP and OP will be popular the 1st 2 weeks, then it will be just a waste of resourcers. PvP warzones or content if is doing right is something that people/players will play for months, i mean, we have been playing the same warzones since launch, and is still the most popular feature about SWTOR.