Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Warzones/Arena please let the player decide!

discbox

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am annoyed I am even looking at this thread. PvP just grew up a little bit, if you cant fight in the arena you dont belong in pvp.

I'm going to sigh and shake my head in your direction.

Some of us HAVE done PvP in arena's before, we don't want to anymore .... we find it boring, zero challenge and a waste of time.

I PvP here for objectives, it gives me something to do. I gave up hardcore PvP when I stopped playing the only PvP MMO worth talking about ... Dark Age of Camelot. Now I do it for "casual" fun. I don't find arena fun.

I dont PvP cause its easy, or my favorate zone. I do it for a challange against real people. Not bots. Complaining is easy......so take that option.

You still make no sense at all, you know that right?

The OP (and all of us who agree with what he's saying) is talking about the fact that you can't choose to queue for what you like. You keep talking about bots and real people as if we haven't been competing against "real people" all this time. As if somehow, the mindless dpsfest that is Arenas is better than an objective based map where you need to actually use your brain to win.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure you don't even know what thread you're in.

What "bots" and "not real people" were there in normal warzones for 2 years now?

This is not a PVE vs PVP discussion, just in case you haven't noticed that.

I am annoyed I am even looking at this thread. PvP just grew up a little bit, if you cant fight in the arena you dont belong in pvp.

By that logic we shouldn't be able to pick what we play on log in, we should just be logged on one of our character at random and sent on a mission.

"Dang it, not another space mission on my 55, I wanted to lvl my 43... Oh well if can't play space missions I don't belong in pve".

More choice is never a bad thing.

I get it. And debating stuff on the internet is silly, so I wont argue.

I pvp a lot, and I pve a lot......its a good game. Lots to do.

The patch came live an hour ago......have you even tried it yet?

Dont complain just cause you can. Lets see shall we? Might suck. Might be awseome.

Dont complain just cause you can. Lets see shall we? Might suck. Might be awseome.

I'm not arguing with you exactly, just disagree with your choice of words in one post.

We shouldn't PvP if we can't do arena.....

I was just saying that some of us have and just don't want to anymore.

I don't want them to get rid of them, some people do enjoy them and just because I no longer do does not mean I oppose them.

I'd just rather have the choice on whether to queue for them or not. Leaving every arena is going to annoy me after a while.

MIght be awesome to some, but me? I hate mindless "kill them all" PvP, which is why I love the objective driven WZs of SWTOR.

I'll skip all arenas on sight, no idea how awesome it will be for the players I leave short handed, but I'm guessing not so much...

Well, it's even sillier when your arguments are silly.

No one said this is not a good game or that they shouldn't have added arenas. Some people like them. But just like a PVEr has to option to queue for an Operation, a HM FP, a lvl 50 FP or all of them at the same time, we are asking for the option to queue for what we like.

I'm not arguing with you exactly, just disagree with your choice of words in one post.

We shouldn't PvP if we can't do arena.....

I'd just rather have the choice on whether to queue for them or not. Leaving every arena is going to annoy me after a while.

Ya fair enough. It might not be as bad as some fear though. :)

Ya fair enough. It might not be as bad as some fear though. :)

It might not be.

And I hope it isn't.

The PvP community isn't all that large here and if this does go horribly wrong it may get even smaller. I don't think any of us want that to happen.

As I said, queues WILL get longer.

There are quite a lot of people that don't want to do 4 man arena's.

2 things will happen.

They will queue and leave every 4 man that pops, that will cause problems for others.

They will stop queueing altogether, that will cause problems for others.

There is no bright side to this. None whatsoever.

Do you know what percentage of the population will do this? a lot is insanely relative and on server scale it is no where near as large as you think.

Also not having this option will probably increase q time by a little bit, but adding this option will most definitely increase the q times.

So should they keep the option that might increase the q by a little bit or the option that will absolutely increase the queue times

Think of it this way you only want 8 mans so you queue for only 8 mans, I prefer arenas so I only q for arenas thus both our queues are increased, but your the worse off because your queue requires 16 people a match but mine only needs 8.

In the end the arena haters are the ones getting shafted by their own proposal

• Dev Post
What's the point of forcing players who want to play the 'old' warzones to play the new arenas?

I don't like the arenas, I simply want to play the warzones.

There are players who like the arenas more, let them play arenas and keep them off the warzones if they don't want to play them.

Give us the choice!

Hey discbox!

You raise a good question and it is one I can answer. There are two reasons it appears as it does currently in the queue. First, what you have to keep in mind is that Arenas are a new type of Warzone. Similar to how Huttball is a type of Warzone and Voidstar is a type. Technically each different Warzone currently in the game is its own type, with a single map of that type. Warzone Arenas are the "type" 4v4 deathmatch with 3 different maps. That is why they are in the Warzone queue.

Secondly...

On my server you can at times wait almost ten minutes for a pop, I don't want to image how long the queue would get if people where allowed to be picky

Zoom_VI is on the right path here. As we continue to separate queues, we will continue to increase queue times. Our goal is to make sure you can get into the PvP action ASAP!

Hope that answers your question.

-eric

It might not be.

And I hope it isn't.

The PvP community isn't all that large here and if this does go horribly wrong it may get even smaller. I don't think any of us want that to happen.

PvP games happen every minute, its rare to wait long. BW has the actual numbers of who plays what. Angry forums posts dont affect them, despite the misguided passion with which they are posted.

I just got the patch so maybe ill hate it too, we'll see. Its just a pvp match though where you fight people in a way your not used to yet in this game. Should be fun.....maybe......

What's the point of forcing players who want to play the 'old' warzones to play the new arenas?

I don't like the arenas, I simply want to play the warzones.

There are players who like the arenas more, let them play arenas and keep them off the warzones if they don't want to play them.

Give us the choice!

I am in full agreement with you. I do not want to play arenas in any shape or form, and have been vocal about my dislike of them, and fears for the future of PVP, since they were announced.

Now it seems that Bioware are not giving us any freedom of choice. Basically, they are only too aware that arenas only pander to the duellists, with short attention spans and lack of tactical acumen, but, these are the people they are wanting to get into PVP.

As much as I want them to give me a choice to deselect arenas, I doubt it is ever going to happen, why? Well, they know only too well if they gave us the choice, within two weeks, no one would be in any arena queue and their idea will be another dead duck.

In the meantime, I will leave every arena I am forced to take part in.

Zoom_VI is on the right path here. As we continue to separate queues, we will continue to increase queue times. Our goal is to make sure you can get into the PvP action ASAP!

-eric

That, however, is not the PVP action some of us want.

You don't force people to do Ranked if they don't want to. Why force them to do Arenas?

I realize this is all new and shiny and you guys need to promote it, but maps with no objective whatsoever (other than killing the enemy players) is not everyone's idea of fun pvp.

And, most importantly, why can't you create a queuing system that would work like the groupfinder, where we can choose arenas, warzones or both? You don't need to keep them separate. And if someone chooses to only queue for WZs they would do so knowing that their queue could take a while. I just don't see how giving us options is so wrong.

Hey discbox!

You raise a good question and it is one I can answer. There are two reasons it appears as it does currently in the queue. First, what you have to keep in mind is that Arenas are a new type of Warzone. Similar to how Huttball is a type of Warzone and Voidstar is a type. Technically each different Warzone currently in the game is its own type, with a single map of that type. Warzone Arenas are the "type" 4v4 deathmatch with 3 different maps. That is why they are in the Warzone queue.

Secondly...

-eric

Okay, but how is people dodging arenas going to help wtih queue? What about the lack of healers in most 8v8 WZs? Since they are the rarerst roles played will that mean that they will mostly be funelled into arenas since they are role specific? Won't that leave other WZs without healers?

Arenas are *not* simply another type of WZ, because of the fact they are role specific.

Think of it this way you only want 8 mans so you queue for only 8 mans, I prefer arenas so I only q for arenas thus both our queues are increased, but your the worse off because your queue requires 16 people a match but mine only needs 8.

In the end the arena haters are the ones getting shafted by their own proposal

But how annoyed are those that do want arenas going to be when people keep leaving thus ruining their games?

I say this because people have said since the debate began that they don't want arena. So we know those people will leave as soon as they get put in one, me included.

That leaves teams of 4v3.

Now imagine 1 person takes his PvP quite seriously yet gets put in a team with 3 who, lets say, aren't very good. With an 8 man it's manageable to do objectives with 4 or 5 ... especially Huttball when it only really takes one or two people to know what they are doing.

In a 4 man death match it's going to annoy "serious" PvP'ers far more than it will annoy the less serious.

Then we get the old debate of premades versus pugs which will cause more upset.

And no, starting my own premade is not an option. I already said I only PvP here for casual fun which is what I get from the warzones. I gave up "serious" PvP a long time ago.

8 v 8 is the absolute lowest I will go, and that is tiny compared to what I enjoy. I like large scale fights which is why DAoC will always be the best game for PvP I ever played.

All in all i'm not too bothered by it, I only play for a month a time and shall be on another break soon anyway. I just think it was a bad decision.

Cross server and separate queues would be far better than forcing those that don't want arena to have to queue for them.

Can we just try it first?

I tried the SWTOR version of arena pvp on the PTS. I didn’t like it! So, if it pops and I get an arena, I will drop it. It is really that simply. Enjoy arena for those that want too. But for me, I just drop the group and play in the 8v8 like I like. That easy!:D

Cheers!

Hey discbox!

Secondly...

-eric

You need to allow people to exclude a few Warzones out of their rotation. This move of yours validates every single person that decides to leave a warzone or arena at any time, imo.

And yeah "Get into the pvp action ASAP" translates to: We prefer quantity over quality.

I tried the SWTOR version of arena pvp on the PTS. I didn’t like it! So, if it pops and I get an arena, I will drop it. It is really that simply. Enjoy arena for those that want too. But for me, I just drop the group and play in the 8v8 like I like. That easy!:D

Cheers!

Lol true true. Hope i like it! I imagine I will......good to shake stuff up a bit. I enjoy a challenge in pvp but we will see!! :eek:

Hey discbox!

Secondly...

-eric

Could the queue not be more visual? for example when your character is paired with someone / people then this be displayed as 1/4 or 3/4?. Not just for PvP, but sometimes you can be waiting quite a long time and find out its just down to a tank not queuing. This way people like myself who usually misses queue pops, chance to plan a timely bio break :D

-eric

I hope people in enjoy faster queue of 4v3 because I'm dropping as soon as I get arena wz.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.