Treek and SGRA

fabiyun

Amber, Eric, it has been months since you said there would be updates on SGRA, and we've heard nothing. Now you're releasing a new companion for the hefty price of 2100CC and set a precedent for other companion characters to be released in the future.

So what is your roadmap here? And how does Treek fit into all this? How can you release an SGRA companion and not charge 2100CC for it and adding a legacy level 40 requirement and the payment of 1 million credits? You're rewarding the sentiments some players have that "things need to be worked for" whatever that may mean. So it goes entirely within reason that people will expect anything new that's added will have to be "worked for", and releasing an SGRA companion would have to be "worked for" or it's a "slap in the face". Of course that disregards the reality that nobody needs to work for a heterosexual companion, but to many the experience will feel like some are given things without "having to work" for them, while others do not. Or is your intent to charge LGBT players for content that is otherwise freely and easily available to heterosexuals?

You know, being patient here, it's only been like 9 months since you've said anything. And many have been expecting that you are working quite silently on something (I'm not one of those). Isn't it time you start talking about a roadmap or a lack of roadmap, to give the LGBT players in this game some clarity? When are SGRA companions coming? Are you going to charge 2100CC for them? What is your overall strategy, what does your emancipation/inclusionary roadmap look like? It's kind of like a closet here in the dark guys, not very pleasant, quite stale actually.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand your issue.

IF they release an SGRA companion and IF they charge for it, then it will be no different than releasing Treek and charging for her. Plus, you don't have to pay with real money for Treek, so even if they did the exact same thing, you'd still have the option to get that companion by playing the game.

I don't see how that way the LGBT community is being treated any worse or better than the rest and, frankly, I don't see why they should be treated worse or better.

Edited by TheNahash

I don't understand your issue.

IF they release an SGRA companion and IF they charge for it, then it will be no different than releasing Treek and charging for her. Plus, you don't have to pay with real money for Treek, so even if they did the exact same thing, you'd still have the option to get that companion by playing the game.

I don't see how that way the LGBT community is being treated any worse or better than the rest and, frankly, I don't see why they should be treated worse or better.

Except that it is different. You don't need to spend a single dime to see yourself represented in this game or to romance a companion, it's all in the F2P option. LGBT players need to get to level 50, buy the expansion, male players need to run on the Empire side and female players on the republic side, to get 1 flirtable NPC. And if all future companions are going to require a CM purchase for a price around 2100CC or over with inflation, then LGBT players will have to shelve out 20 dollars for the xpack, 20 dollars for the companion with F2P (a subscription and 30 dollars for subscribers) to still be in an unbalanced situation. I don't see how this is anything but worse treatment.

Edited by fabiyun

Except that it is different. You don't need to spend a single dime to see yourself represented in this game or to romance a companion, it's all in the F2P option. LGBT players need to get to level 50, buy the expansion, male players need to run on the Empire side and female players on the republic side, to get 1 flirtable NPC. And if all future companions are going to require a CM purchase for a price around 2100CC or over with inflation, then LGBT players will have to shelve out 20 dollars for the xpack, 20 dollars for the companion with F2P (a subscription and 30 dollard for subscribers) to still be in an unbalanced situation. I don't see how this is anything but worse treatment.

It's worse only because they didn't include SGRA for the original companions when the game was released.

They've explained they did it because they didn't have enough time (if I remember correctly), which might or might not be the true.

Personally, I believe they wanted to avoid the controversy, but in the end they didn't when they added the SGRA NPC on Makeb.

That, I can understand feeling angry about.

BUT

The game didn't do as well as they thought it would, so they had to focus on things that were a priority.

Romances are not - and that goes for both straight and gay relationships. And, let's be honest here, even straight relationships are cheesy and silly in the game.

They've also said that going back and adding SGRA to old companions would require a lot of work. So, I don't think you'll see that any time soon.

Considering companions are only added as part of the class quests or as independent additions, then you'll either have to wait for when new class quests are added or buy/work for the companion if he/she is added to the game like Treek.

I get that in the past you haven't been treated fairly and I understand your disappointment, but if going forward they add companions like they'll add Treek, I really don't see why you would feel like you're being treated unfairly since you'd have the option to get any new companions by playing the game, which is (kinda) similar to how you got your original companions: you couldn't get Xalek if you didn't advance your Inquisitor's class story.

Edited by TheNahash

It's worse only because they didn't include SGRA for the original companions when the game was released.

They've explained they did it because they didn't have enough time (if I remember correctly), which might or might not be the true.

Personally, I believe they wanted to avoid the controversy, but in the end they didn't when they added the SGRA NPC on Makeb.

That, I can understand feeling angry about.

BUT

The game didn't do as well as they thought it would, so they had to focus on things that were a priority.

Romances are not - and that goes for both straight and gay relationships. And, let's be honest here, even straight relationships are cheesy and silly in the game.

They've also said that going back and adding SGRA to old companions would require a lot of work. So, I don't think you'll see that any time soon.

Considering companions are only added as part of the class quests or as independent additions, then you'll either have to wait for when new class quests are added or buy/work for the companion if he/she is added to the game like Treek.

I get that in the past you haven't been treated fairly and I understand your disappointment, but if going forward they add companions like they'll add Treek, I really don't see why you would feel like you're being treated unfairly since you have the option to get any new companions by playing the game, which is (kinda) similar to how you got your original companions: you couldn't get Xalek if you didn't advance your Inquisitor's class story.

Yup. And I don't believe their reasons either, but things are the way they are. It's not that I don't see what you're saying. Personally I've been considering the CM as a good option, because it can also create equality. A level 10 could get an SGRA companion through the CM where otherwise they would be playing in a galaxy that is heterosexual until level 52ish and suddenly it would be slightly different. And the thought of the CM option is conflicting, because it can allow players to enjoy the game equally, but still requires new players to pay something extra and old time players who have not reached legacy level 40 (FYI I have 2 level 55s and several lower lvl alts and I'm 36 atm, having done every single quest in the game, I like the story), but if the cost for future companions had been around 350cc (i.e. 3 dollars 50 cents) then that would have been a compromise I can accept. 2100CC is not a compromise that is acceptable, in fact it's a pretty hefty slashhammer coming down on your feet (I'd say that's a bit worse than a slap in the face).

And yes Xalek is one such companion that is gotten later in the game, but it also still within F2P, it requires nothing from the player. For Treek and HK this is different. And I understand that the game didn't do so well, I understand that it will be difficult to make changes, but that doesn't change the fact that SGRA companions are likely going to be very different from Xalek, in that you need at least ROTHC and spend CC or have a very high legacy, certainly more than what your first character could possibly reach. And I don't think that that's acceptable.

Now really, the best they can do is just tell us what their plans are. At present, we don't even know. I'm only expressing my concern and asking for clarification here.

Over 20 opposite gender flirts/romances/scenes, and we are having to pay to fix an error Bioware made by neglecting SGRA in the actual game (Around £11 worth of Cartel Coins) through addition of ONE s/s romanceable character?

And about that "didn't have time to put in SGRA for original comps" - they put in the time to add the 3rd bit of dialogue anyway :p

Edited by Biotic_Warlock

1. This has been QQ'd about since before the games release.

2. This "new" (lol) thread isn't going to do anything towards making SGR options available.

3. They're probably never going to change current romances to include SGR options.

4. If you do get SGR options it will be in the form of new companions released via the same way Treek is.

5. If you really still have a problem with it. You can always stop playing. But you should definately stop paying if you are in any way (via sub, or even small CM purchases.)

6. If you're male and complaining because you want lesbian romances (face it the majority of the whiners are straight males wanting their female toon to romance one of the female companions) then shut up.

7. Get over it. BioWare is one of, if not -the-, only companies to cater to SGR's in their games. So let's stop the stupid, childish, and unwarranted "BioWare is homophobic" b.s.

Edited by Suromir

How can you release an SGRA companion and not charge 2100CC for it and adding a legacy level 40 requirement and the payment of 1 million credits?

I wasn't aware that Treek costs as much as she does because she's a potential romance.

And here I thought it was the level 1 tank/healer business.

I wasn't aware that Treek costs as much as she does because she's a potential romance.

And here I thought it was the level 1 tank/healer business.

She isn't a romance option. She's just a companion. But it sets a precedent for charging all future companions, or face the backlash that Treek costs CC and others do not. Hence my questions to BW to please clarify their intent.

She isn't a romance option. She's just a companion. But it sets a precedent for charging all future companions, or face the backlash that Treek costs CC and others do not. Hence my questions to BW to please clarify their intent.

So how you can make the claim that a companion inserted later that includes a romance would have to be at the same/more value than a tank/healer companion at level 1?

Assuming they even could/would put in a companion with a romance arc in the first place going forward.

Just seems like a huge assumption to me given the evidence.

I'm getting pretty sick and tired of all the same gender wants that people have been putting out. I'm not gay, im not homophobic, im not going to lie on the internet and say I have homosexual friends because quite simply, I don't. But this is getting quite ridiculous - this is a 'Star Wars' game. I've yet to encounter a scene in SW were same genders get heated, but that's not the point.

As the guy above me stated, this game is targeting in a variety of people; although it has a teen rating, lets face it - kids are going to play because its 'Star Wars'. I really have no idea why BioWare even said they where going to add same gender romance into the game at all, oh wait i remember - because once upon a time they made a singleplayer RPG that maybe had a one of SGR scene and the homosexual (fat men wanting lesbian action) community made a big deal slamming BW as homophobic.

No more SGR ever if it was up to me. Im perfectly fine living in a world with homosexuals, they are great and mostly fantastic people. But for pete sake, leave it out of Star Wars.

As a gay man myself. i am curious about this, and I will admit that the thought of this had not crossed my mind.

However I shoudl also add. I don't think Bioware should change existing companions. THose companions are straight. I have a big problem with companies making everyone Bi (bioware has done this a few times). I don't like it. It isnt real.

In a perfect world we would be getting more class story content with more companions. Meaning the possibility of adding a Male and a Female companion for each class that is SGRA only.

However unfortunately we do not live in this world and it is unlikely we will get more class story content.

Does not mean that we won't get another "makeb" and that planet could introduce two companions. Sure it is possible but I see it somewhat unlikely.

Honestly, I don't know what the solution is. If the next 2 companions (1 male and 1 female) were SGRA only but they also had story outside of that (like the wondeful SGRA mass effect 3 storylines) than I would have less of an issue if it was a CM/Legacy thing. I would prefer Free but I don't see it happening.

As a gay man myself. i am curious about this, and I will admit that the thought of this had not crossed my mind.

However I shoudl also add. I don't think Bioware should change existing companions. THose companions are straight. I have a big problem with companies making everyone Bi (bioware has done this a few times). I don't like it. It isnt real.

In a perfect world we would be getting more class story content with more companions. Meaning the possibility of adding a Male and a Female companion for each class that is SGRA only.

However unfortunately we do not live in this world and it is unlikely we will get more class story content.

Does not mean that we won't get another "makeb" and that planet could introduce two companions. Sure it is possible but I see it somewhat unlikely.

Honestly, I don't know what the solution is. If the next 2 companions (1 male and 1 female) were SGRA only but they also had story outside of that (like the wondeful SGRA mass effect 3 storylines) than I would have less of an issue if it was a CM/Legacy thing. I would prefer Free but I don't see it happening.

I would prefer to see them rewrite the class story, especially since some companions could be SGRA, but are presently not. However I share the sentiment that this is not likely to happen during this game's life cycle.

That leaves us very few options. A future xpack could add new companions, but I daresay that Treek was likely intended to have been included in the xpack but ended up on the CM anyway. Now this may or may not be what will happen in the future, but again I would really like BW to be clear to us what their intent is. We get thrown half a bone and not a peep out of them.

Edited by fabiyun

The problem is that they've created a situation now that they cannot really come back from. So what if they create a new SGRA companion? If they don't put it in the CM then they make it something for high level characters only, which I think would be a shame, I didn't even do Makeb on any character but my main, and I'm not alone in this. Let alone that any new player would not be able to have access to this content, the way that heterosexual players have access to romance story content throughout the game. Apart from that, if they don't add high requirements people are going to complain that "they put in the work" and the rest did not. People are going to say that it is inequal to give SGRA companions away while Treek and HK are not given away with spending CC or spending lots of in-game time and credits. And you cannot blame them for reasoning this, because BW has been rewarding that sentiment. (Doesn't take away the fact that these groups would be wrong, because heterosexual companions are given away, they require no work whatsoever).

Which begs the question, does BW have a roadmap for SGRA. And how does this relate to Treek? Are we going to have to pay extra for SGRA content with companions? Some clarification would really be appreciated.

Which begs the question, does BW have a roadmap for SGRA. And how does this relate to Treek? Are we going to have to pay extra for SGRA content with companions? Some clarification would really be appreciated.

Which also begs the question - are they now obligated to make every new NPC/Companion SGR'able?

Treek is an Ewok...Ewoks are like dogs (pets). Why is this even a topic???

Which also begs the question - are they now obligated to make every new NPC/Companion SGR'able?

Yea I'm still seeing a leap in logic I'm just not following stating that because they introduced one companion one way they now have to introduce all companions (regardless of how the companions differ) the same way or 'worse' (nevermind the 'backlash' that's already over the forums about how THIS companion is coming out).

Have they even ever said they plan to introduce more companions with romance arcs?

Edited by hadoken

The problem is that they've created a situation now that they cannot really come back from.

No they haven't. We have had two new companions with two entirely different ways of acquiring them. Who is to say that the next companion won't be different again?

All you are doing here is manufacturing drama and problems over a non-existent issue about a companion that does not exist.

Edited by TheBBP

No they're not. I'm not asking them to make Treek SGRA nor am I upset that she's not. But I'm looking at where things go from here. And I'm asking for a clarification that should have been given months ago. This is not even something that's pushed back anymore, for something to be pushed back there should have been a roadmap, there appears to not even be a roadmap. If there is, then I'd like to know about it.

As for companions, you cannot sell something at a certain price point, and then give something else away without people getting really angry about it (understandably so). And unfortunately that would likely mean that LGBT people will be at the short end of the stick again. Which also has a precedent in this game: "oh sorry, time constraints". "Flirts with NPCs in paid expansion". > "Oh sorry, 2100CC, Oops!". And since BW is avoiding this topic like it is the gay plague, and this update hasn't gone live yet, I feel entirely in my place to ask for a clarification now.

Edited by fabiyun

No they're not. I'm not asking them to make Treek SGRA nor am I upset that she's not. But I'm looking at where things go from here. And I'm asking for a clarification that should have been given months ago. This is not even something that's pushed back anymore, for something to be pushed back there should have had a roadmap, there appears to not even be a roadmap. If there is, then I'd like to know about it.

As for companions, you cannot sell something at a certain price point, and then give something else away without people getting really angry about it (understandably so). And unfortunately that would likely mean that LGBT people will be at the short end of the stick again. Which also has a precedent in this game: "oh sorry, time constraints". "Oh sorry, 2100CC, Oops!". And since BW is avoiding this topic like it is the gay plague, and this update hasn't gone live yet, I feel entirely in my place to ask for a clarification now.

How do you feel they're ignoring it? Treek has NOTHING to do with SGR at all, nor did HK-51. Expect that any future companions will be introduced via the CM or expansions, gay or straight, animal or human.

You don't need clarification - this has nothing to do with the SGR crusade...nothing!!!

So wait Treek is romance-able? I have no idea why this thread exists.

OP is all worked up over how much it will take to obtain his/her non-existent SGRA companion and is bordering on all but labeling BioWare as discriminatory for introducing SGR into content that has to be purchased. He/she also is demanding that BioWare update him/her on their plans for gay companions.

Edited by TheBBP

I suspect the OP is annoyed that the community was told that SGR companions were "on the way", but now we have a new companion that does not relate to that, and there is no further news currently. I'll be honest, I'm a little disappointed we're not seeing that yet, either. I'm a straight male, but that doesn't mean all my characters are, and I enjoy a good love story mixed in to my RP here and there.

I was actually hoping for Cytharat and Doctor Avesta to be the next companions, honestly. Treek looks fun, and I'm definitely picking her up, but I'm sad that those waiting for SGR companions are waiting a bit longer.