I miss Star Wars Galaxies :(

GolgoThirteen

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SWG was a horrid game from the start...tried it a few times over it's life span...just a huge disappointment all over. Terribly done.

To each their own I suppose.......it was the first game to introduce fully customizable templates. "Be What You Want" attitude. I miss this game.....

What killed it for me...is when I packed up my house with its countless prized possessions and vet rewards....but then it disappeared....opened a ticket...and the GM said tough luck :(

Edited by alexlaw

I was hoping that SWTOR would have open classes, at least less rigid ones, perhaps a force user/non force users base class, and let everything else be open.

SWG had the BEST player housing system ever, it had the BEST class(less) system ever, it was just saddled with SOE, whose ability to effectively pilot an MMO was akin to Joseph Hazelwood's ability to pilot oil tankers.

I pray that if/when SWTOR does impliment player housing, it is done like it was in SWG.

I miss scouring the galaxy on a second character looking to see what the stats of the new resources were. I had a big stack of Idokiam, the pre JTL super copper when they finally made it go away...and I about cried.

SWTOR is good so far...but honestly, it's wow with the Star Wars Expansion. The story-line is great, but once I grind up all the classes to 50..I'm doubting that there will be much left for me.

While there will always be players here (like SWG had until the end, even after the game was wrecked) for ME, I give SWTOR a year, maybe 2 tops.

Edited by Cryonax

I was hoping that SWTOR would have open classes, at least less rigid ones, perhaps a force user/non force users base class, and let everything else be open.

SWG had the BEST player housing system ever, it had the BEST class(less) system ever, it was just saddled with SOE, whose ability to effectively pilot an MMO was akin to Joseph Hazelwood's ability to pilot oil tankers.

I pray that if/when SWTOR does impliment player housing, it is done like it was in SWG.

I miss that game.

LOL really? Player housing was bugged quite badly, city management was okay but again poor, no proper customisation or anything.

best class system ever? Give me a break. Pikeman, combat medic, rifleman and jedi ruled pvp and there was no pve system so to speak.

vast empty worlds with a few npcs and harvesters everywhere, not very immersive. Oh look at me climbing a cliff, a 90 degree angle on my speeder...

I too miss the original SWG.

The crafting was amazing, no one has been able to pull off anything like it since and I'm afraid never will. The dynamic stats on resources made the crafting IMO.

It was amazing to know that there were certain individuals who made a name for themselves as an armsdealer (crafter) and likewise for armor. It really brought the community together and instead of relying on NPCs you relied on your fellow player.... **GASP**

It was an MMO, a true "massively multiplayer" experience the entire way through.

RIP, you will be missed but not forgotten.

As far as SWTOR goes, It's a great ride so far, just hoping for more community/social features to emerge and bring the "multiplayer" back in MMORPG.

the wrorse part is i masted ter kasi and all the melle classes my guy was sic*** and just got to the jedi village after the old fart came and got me......2 days later they nerfed the game....smh .......thats was a better game so far but im only level 13 lol bounty hunter

I miss the original pre-cu days, the CU wasn't too bad, but i didnt like the NGE. Was a beautiful looking game at the time, the first time i walked up the hill over looking Mos Eisley dodging worrts etc as still no skills trained was brilliant, i was hooked at that moment. I loved the fact i could do what i wanted when i wanted and be whatever i wanted to be. I ended up being a triple master, Smuggler/Pistoleer/Teras Kasi Master, i could shoot, kick *** melee and play dead, so much fun. The first group PVP i took part in, i was at the back taking the heat whilst the rest escaped, i'd already flagged to go non pvp 5 minutes earlier so i knew still had 55 minutes left and thought what the hell, ill play dead, i laid there will 30 people completely black barred me, but the rest of the team got away. Eventually i turned non pvp, got up and walked away and spent 5 minutes in a med centre being healed by medics and docs who couldnt believe there luck then to the cantina to heal the mind. Loved it.. I tried several profs, about 8 in total and unlocked Jedi (very luck), but always went back to The triple master, when the CU hit, i spent almost all my time in space doing master missions for people.. Theres a lot i miss about it, and a lot i don't, but this SWTOR is a different game and i won't be comparing the two. I enjoyed my time in SWG, but thats the past now.

I miss SWG so much! It will probably go down as the greatest open world MMO ever! The diversity and open-mindedness of the community always made it best.

And for those of you who've never seen it, this music video made by my in-game friend has always been one of my absolute favorites! How many MMO's do you know that could allow you to film a video like this?

SWG before the CU and NGE was the best ever! i absolutely miss my CH/BH and hunting player bounties with a rancor or 2, and the anchorhead vs bestine PVP back before mounts. when you died you had to clone back in your faction's city then run your *** back across the tatooine desert to reingage in pvp haha.

SWG was my 1st mmo and it's some fond memories figuring out how the heck to play computer games online with other people. my only gaming experience prior to that was madden and ea sports games; i'd never played a first person shooter or an rpg-type game.

needless to say it was a glorious adventure

First off, kudos to BioWare for SW:TOR. Early days, but looking awesome!

Things I miss about SWG in no particular order:

• Finding a talented weapon/armour crafter by word of mouth/server forum, tracking them down, and buying ultimate pimped gear.
  • Using the BH terminal to select a mark. Sending out droids to search for them. Travelling to their last reported location. Spotting them (usually group hunting lol) and feeling my adrenalin levels go thru the roof as I alpha-strike them with aforementioned 'pimped gear'.
  • The delicate balance between outcomes, and the knowledge that my gear would be seriously damaged if I were defeated, but their grinding would be severely compromised if I defeated them, on account of the XP penalty.
  • The segue from day to night accompanied by the original score.
  • The fact that rolling a Jedi toon meant a MUCH harder grind than any other class.
  • That not everyone was a combatant, and that you could specialize in crafting, entertaining, engineering etc., and that these character types were critical to the big picture.
  • The excellent server forums.
  • The vastness and freedom of movement/exploration on each planet (except Kashyyyk :w_mad:)

There are many more reasons that for now I can't think of, and many more that people have already expressed.

My wishlist of future implements to make SW:TOR uber including but not limited to:

•  
  • Server Forums
  • A system for buying & selling GTCs on the market for IG credits to help people with limited play time
  • A more technical method for farming resources
  • Non-combatant character choice options (not for me, but not everyone enjoys pewpew)
  • A reason, or reasons to spend time in cantinas other than resting
  • More involved starship experience e.g.
    1. The ability to enter exit your ship in real-time whilst still in your instanced hangar
    2. Startup & shutdown procedures
    3. The need/option to actually control Take-offs & landings as well as local area piloting. Interplanetary travel could be semi-automated ala EVE ONLINE
    4. Starship Pilot skill tree that accumulates XP based on flying time and space combat whether PVP or PVE
    5. Space loot
    6. (I realise this is a longshot, but...) Planet-to-space transitions, however simple would be so uber
    7. The ability to invite players aboard to travel together
    8. Starship customization, exterior & interior however basic
    9. Improved hyperspace/JTL effect

But let's not lose sight of the fact that SW:TOR is still in its infancy. It's only 1 week old and though there a few creases that require ironing, I'm impressed with it nonetheless. I have faith in its future, and in BioWare's commitment to make it the best mmo ever. BioWare, take note! I'm taking an awfully big risk. This had better work!

Will always love SWG. Found my orginal strategy guide this morning on a dusty bookshelf and my heart mourned for an old friend...lucky for me there are still plenty of rebels and Jedi to crush here!

Side note: if you were on Valcyn and in NEO hit me up!

Edited by Kaleetha

and the anchorhead vs bestine PVP back before mounts. when you died you had to clone back in your faction's city then run your *** back across the tatooine desert to reingage in pvp haha.

This. I lived and died defending Anchorhead, trying to take Bestine. Getting trapped with my group inside the Bestine city hall because all the imps had gotten AT-ST's... ah... nostalgia...

LOL really? Player housing was bugged quite badly, city management was okay but again poor, no proper customisation or anything.

best class system ever? Give me a break. Pikeman, combat medic, rifleman and jedi ruled pvp and there was no pve system so to speak.

vast empty worlds with a few npcs and harvesters everywhere, not very immersive. Oh look at me climbing a cliff, a 90 degree angle on my speeder...

Kinda sounds like SWTOR with more features.

Player housing and player made cities. Better to have them ( according to you, poorly made but according to everyone else, fantastic) then not have them at all?

best class less system ever. is referring NOT to having equally balanced classes but to having the ability to switch on one character and not having to remake and relevel just to try a different class, thus leaving your old main behind and all your non-profession based work to rot.

As to empty worlds. Where? Cities, POIs, Pvp areas littered the entire planetary map. Minus what? Kash? Dath? Endor? places that were considered unihabitable? ;)