Since when was this alright?

TechbotAlpha

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

- level 23 Trooper.

- mobs SEVEN LEVELS below me to kick my butt with little effort.

- the Locust mission on Taris; Heroic 4+

- wah wah

- go get a group. Well, newsflash; in its infinite wisdom, the group finder now outright decrees that that is ENTIRELY impossible. Because I've out-levelled it, of course.

(inb4 'l2p noob omg' and other such junk...)

Gear dude. Get better gear. Do you have Elara yet? If not (spoiler) finish your class quest and use her...Aric sucks. A Heroic 4 is tough as hell to solo...especially at your level. Get a group the old fashioned way...use general chat.

L2P too. Know what things to CC and what to focus down. Always save the gold/elite until the trash is killed.

Actually, each plant does display a recommended level range. Not to mention that if a mission is grey in your log, then you have greatly out-leveled that mission. You are making the conscious decision to complete these out-leveled missions, so complaining about their rewards or lack thereof seems counter intuitive.

It is true that you cannot use the group finder when you have out-leveled a mission. However, it does not prevent your chat function from working properly.

This is an MMO. Socialize with the other players on the planet and simply ask for help.

Edited by kwwhite

Go to the fleet and use your planetary comms to gear yourself up with Nar Shadda mods , it's a shame you aren't level 24 as then you could gear yourself up with tatooine mods. Also as people have said heroic 4 is mean't for 4 players. One thing though it's a good job you aren't playing the game in a party of 3 , if you think that heroic 4 is hard lol , then you are wrong. In a group of 3 missions will scale up normal silvers into golds and golds into champions on a lot of missions and even spawn extra golds/champions from the floor.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Edited by BadOrb

TOR is a linear game. As such, it is designed to be played through in a specific order, and to be played completely, ie. without skipping missions or even whole planets. The game should therefore be balanced in a way that the player can't overlevel content when playing that linear path. The mission rewards should also be scaled to the level that the player will be at that point on the track. This should really be a no-brainer in a linear game. A poorly balanced linear game will either end up being too difficult or, in the case of TOR, too easy. This isn't rocket science, the total experience needed and the total experience available are both known quantities. Balancing a linear game so that a player can outlevel it by the 3rd planet on the track is problematic to so many aspects of the game and the problems this creates compound and magnify with each train station along the track.

The "Locust" Heroic is also really the first 'hard' Heroic a Republic player will face. It's the first one that actually requires standard MMO group tactics (cc's, target selection, healing, etc.) and the game does a terrible job of training (new) players along the way to this Heroic. For anyone new to an MMO, this mission is like a sledge hammer to the face as it is the first mission where the game does function like an MMO. From that point on, there are a handful of Heroics of similar challenge, usually 1 per planet. These missions, while among the best in the game, are very out of place in TOR and they often have the opposite effect that they should... instead of making people appreciate the "group mission", they more often than not scare away newbie players from group content altogether.

SNIP...

The "Locust" Heroic is also really the first 'hard' Heroic a Republic player will face. It's the first one that actually requires standard MMO group tactics (cc's, target selection, healing, etc.)

SNIP....

I know this question is a little OT but oh well.

Do you really think thats the first one? I thought the trouble with deed quest on Coruscant was pretty difficult without a normal group setup and some CC.

Either way you are right though, The Locust quest is just as unforgiving and solo is really not an option till much later. The quest saying H4 is a good clue of difficulty even if some are easier then others.

Posting at 1am is a really bad idea, basically. You make one bad post and everyone chews you up over it. I shouldn't be surprised, been around the 'nets long enough, but eh...

And yeah, probably expectations. The only other MMO I played (City of Heroes) seemed to be rare in its design of actually making the player character seem powerful; you could set your own difficulty for missions (the majority were in instances, another rare thing it seems) and went from +0 (same level mobs) x0 (mobs scaled for however many players were on the team) all the way up to +4 x8 (the max number of people in a team)....and that was solo.

Not saying that 'OMG y this game no do wut I want?!', just hoping that clarifies where I came from to find the TOR design to weird and alien. I've already gotten pretty used to it, but, yeah.

Yeah, you are gonna have to weather the storm that is incoming because most people will only read the first post and not the entire thread.

But you know that as well i hope.

Just buckle up and keep walking.

Now that you know how the game works, you also know how to avoid these situations, so you should be fine.

I know this question is a little OT but oh well.

Do you really think thats the first one? I thought the trouble with deed quest on Coruscant was pretty difficult without a normal group setup and some CC.

Either way you are right though, The Locust quest is just as unforgiving and solo is really not an option till much later. The quest saying H4 is a good clue of difficulty even if some are easier then others.

Maybe I've just been lucky with Trouble in Deed, but I've never really had an issue with groups in that one.

Locust and Mandalorian Raiders on Nar Shaddaa are the two that stand out in my mind as the two toughest early Heroics. The game would be far better, and far more successful IMO if there were many more quests like those.

Posting at 1am is a really bad idea, basically. You make one bad post and everyone chews you up over it. I shouldn't be surprised, been around the 'nets long enough, but eh...

And yeah, probably expectations. The only other MMO I played (City of Heroes) seemed to be rare in its design of actually making the player character seem powerful; you could set your own difficulty for missions (the majority were in instances, another rare thing it seems) and went from +0 (same level mobs) x0 (mobs scaled for however many players were on the team) all the way up to +4 x8 (the max number of people in a team)....and that was solo.

Not saying that 'OMG y this game no do wut I want?!', just hoping that clarifies where I came from to find the TOR design to weird and alien. I've already gotten pretty used to it, but, yeah.

No worries, everyone makes stupid mistakes that leave them embarrassed afterwards. :p

You are at least willing to own up to making a mistake.

Yeah, this game isn't like CoH - you will never be a fully IO'd, fully Incarnated death machine that blazes through everything on +4/*8, but eventually with some good gear and knowledge of the game you'll be able to solo most level appropriate Heroics.

Being an altoholic (like many of CoH's players were) will also prove to be a blessing, since you'll get Presence bonuses through your Legacy for every companion who's story you've finished - which makes your companions quite impressive after a while. :D

Also look into getting the datacrons - free permanent stat boosts ftw!

Elara really will help you. Besides being heals, she has a decent CC ability which is the 8s or so cryo freeze that she often opens the fights with. So start blasting the boss, and for the next 8 seconds he will be unable to retaliate after elara freezes him.

Nope, all healer companions have that ability - and damaging the target will actually break their type of CC.

Which holds true for most of the actual CC abilities in this game (like concussion grenade)

Nope, all healer companions have that ability - and damaging the target will actually break their type of CC.

Which holds true for most of the actual CC abilities in this game (like concussion grenade)

Ah ok. It's been awhile since I've played my trooper, so I am probably misremembering how it worked. Thanks for the correction. Still tho, you could attack a target, Elara cc's it...then target another while the first is frozen. Just watch your aoe's and it will work decently OP...! ;-)

Ah ok. It's been awhile since I've played my trooper, so I am probably misremembering how it worked. Thanks for the correction. Still tho, you could attack a target, Elara cc's it...then target another while the first is frozen. Just watch your aoe's and it will work decently OP...! ;-)

Np, I generally turn it off though, because it's also a channel ability - which means it severely gimps their ability to heal.

I noticed that usually they throw a HoT on you before using their CC, but then they won't use their big heals for those 8 seconds that they are channeling.

yeah but it should be turned off for all healing companions except thran cedrex :D

sometimes you need a holiday

Too hilarious not to use it with Tharan. ;)

Actually the game does tell you the levels you should be when you go to a given planet. It says when you focus on the planet, when you click your space map on your ship. It tells you there. For a pub, Taris is 16-20....for an Imp its 32-36

You said you're a trooper...so for pubs, here goes..Tython/Ord mantel 1-10, Coruscant 10-16, Taris 16-20, Narshadaa 20-24, Tatooine 24-28, Alderaan 28-32, Balmorra 32-26, Quesh, 36-37, Hoth 37-41, Belsavis 41-44, Voss 44-47 Corellia 47-49/50 and then off to wherever you go for your final crap...and voila you're done.

Fixed

Edited by PorsaLindahl

The Heroic 2+ and 4+ missions are completely optional missions on the planet. The devs placed those missions on the planets to reward people that wanted to group together to obtain better quest rewards. A player can completely skip these missions and not miss out on any of the planetary quest line, class quest line.

Heroic 2+ missions are mostly soloable, there are a couple of classes that have difficulties at various points due to missing survival cooldowns, lack of a healing companion, etc. The Heroic 4+ missions are soloable if you're about 10 levels over the quest. Those mission areas have the most punishing NPC's around, and are meant to be almost like running a flashpoint.

My advice would be to obtain moddable gear, and just buy upgrades with planetary commendations every couple of levels. This will keep your kit up to date, and you'll be able to move on from planet to planet at a reasonable pace.

Taris, level 23 Trooper. Decide I might as well clear out the Heroics while I'm here, given how over half of the missions on this over-large dump of a world have given me a grand total of SIX exp for rewards each time, and a pitiful ammount of credits, purely because it never made it clear what sort of level I should be when I got there. Pardon me for trying to get decent kit on the character I'd got furthest with.

So, not only do mission give you abysmal rewards as soon as they go grey? Some genius decided that it was perfectly acceptable for mobs SEVEN LEVELS below me to kick my butt with little effort. Trying to complete the Locust mission on Taris. Yes, yes, I know; Heroic 4+, wah wah, go get a group. Well, newsflash; in its infinite wisdom, the group finder now outright decrees that that is ENTIRELY impossible. Because I've out-levelled it, of course. Not like I should want to clear out the damn things clogging up my mission log, right?

So, here I am. Stuck with ****y rewards for a mission where the enemies are grossly overpowered. Bloody 'raid design' MMOs at the worst...Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the rest of TOR so far, i.e. the bits that aren't designed to cheat. But this just takes the biscuit, cake and the trifle too...

Try looking for similar level characters around the area in which you're trying to quest. The group finder works best for raids and flashpoints, but not so much for Heroics I think. I never bother using it for that, but instead I just hit people on the planet in question, up, and ask if they want to run a heroic. Usually you'll find someone in short order.

Taris, level 23 Trooper. Decide I might as well clear out the Heroics while I'm here, given how over half of the missions on this over-large dump of a world have given me a grand total of SIX exp for rewards each time, and a pitiful ammount of credits, purely because it never made it clear what sort of level I should be when I got there. Pardon me for trying to get decent kit on the character I'd got furthest with.

So, not only do mission give you abysmal rewards as soon as they go grey? Some genius decided that it was perfectly acceptable for mobs SEVEN LEVELS below me to kick my butt with little effort. Trying to complete the Locust mission on Taris. Yes, yes, I know; Heroic 4+, wah wah, go get a group. Well, newsflash; in its infinite wisdom, the group finder now outright decrees that that is ENTIRELY impossible. Because I've out-levelled it, of course. Not like I should want to clear out the damn things clogging up my mission log, right?

The thing is, TechbotAlpha, that doing Locust at level 23 if you're geared, skilled and utilize your companion effectively ISN'T impossible. Tough? A little to be sure, but a semi-casual player should be able to do it with a wipe or two. If you're calling it impossible I'm going to have to consider your ultra-casual.

Also, the part of your post in red is wrong, your map of the galaxy includes the recommended levels.

Edited by AshlaBoga