Summer of SWTOR Update

BruceMaclean

Hey guys,

I am getting that some of you are frustrated that there are also Operations coming in 2.4 as a PvP player. This is in no way taking away from the content you are getting. It just means that on top of being an update with PvP content, it also has PvE content in it as well. It is just a bigger update for everyone!

To specifically address some of the concerns I am seeing in the thread. First, the 4v4 Warzone Arenas are not scaled down versions of the current 8v8 maps. They are a brand new Warzone type (deathmatch) on their own brand new maps! Note: Plural! You will see more than one map at launch.

As some have said, this is not the only thing coming in 2.4. We have stated before in this thread the purpose of this is to give you an overview, it does not have every detail. Some of your other concerns...such as queuing for Ranked, will be addressed along with 2.4. We are still working on details and 2.4 is still a ways off. We will continue to release information as we lock things in.

I want to add on a personal note that one of the things I have enjoyed most over the past month or two at work is our twice a week Warzone Arena playtests. I am someone who primarily PvPs when I play SWTOR and they are so, so much fun. I cannot wait for you guys to get your hands on them!

-eric

You don't understand the PvPers Eric, sorry to say... you're a nice guy and I appreciate your more forward style of communication. But if all major patches are overwhelmingly PvE focused and a PvP patch is promised, people will hope for the best with that PvP patch.

There are many, many things lacking in this game as far as PvP is concerned, and some people are just sticking around hoping 2.4 fixes all that. When people see that that big 'PvP update' is nothing more than another PvE update with, granted, a bit more PvP content than usual, you will see all the hardcore PvPers leave.

On top of that, just looking at logistics, how much effort can a skeleton crew really devote to making the new PvP content completely bug free when you have two operations to test at the same time and a new planet, and probably devote at least half of the team on the PvE content. This is not what we were hoping for... we all thought this would be that great PvP patch where all resources are channeled into reviving PvP and the way customers look at it.

I guarantee you, if people are unhappy with reading your summer plan for the game, and immediately 10 threads pop up of how you all lied and that this is not what was promised, you will all be hard pressed to make that update into something that will be received warmly... just saying. We also understand that your bosses won't change a darn thing about it because operations and PvE content is, of course, more important to you guys and 2.4 will end up being another broken promise. :(

You may even understand this but I doubt you can speak to your overlords freely and openly. In the end, you will just end up alienating more and more of your PvP player base, until there are just f2pers dabbling in PvP and this is remembered as a game that could have been something great but the team had no experience or will to work on PvP content and give the players what they're asking for.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2.0 = a new planet/level cap/new HM's for 55's/new operation ALL centered around PvE except the level cap because you could do wz's non-stop and take you a helluva long time to reach 55

PvP = we got rid of bubble stun finally and some tweaks to class balances/a new move... yippee

2.1 = customization, a wash for both

2.2 = NMM for operations and PvE gear

2.3 = MORE 55 HM's and a companion, big whoop for pvp

2.4 = oh yea, another operation and pvp FINALLY gets something... Arenas

So let's take a look at the timetable: Since December when we got the new craptastic AH map, up until October-ish which is when you all plan on releasing this oh-so big PvP patch, we've gotten 1 map, a new skill, some re-balancing (if that's what you want to call it), and you have the NERVE to question why people who PvP are so damn pissed? Why don't you all just give us the finger and tell us to go jump off a cliff somewhere, at least then we'd know your true stance because at this rate I don't know if you all actually don't care or are just full on retarded when it comes to dealing with this aspect of the game and your customers.

4 x 4 sounds good BUT fix your damn bugs which occur in Warzones first before you introduce more bugs into the mix for damn sake bolster is ****ed!. Tired of putting in bug reports and such and having nothing done about it whatsoever. The proc relics still ain't fixed, Numerous abilities for our classes are still messed up and you choose to ignore them and just state your investigating them occasionally. This isn't an Agatha Christie novel where the investigation should take over a year. I mean for crying out loud people solve the issues or find new staff to help fix the issues. People are obviously going to be unhappy with such a buggy product just stating the truth here.

2.0 = a new planet/level cap/new HM's for 55's/new operation ALL centered around PvE except the level cap because you could do wz's non-stop and take you a helluva long time to reach 55

PvP = we got rid of bubble stun finally and some tweaks to class balances/a new move... yippee

2.1 = customization, a wash for both

2.2 = NMM for operations and PvE gear

2.3 = MORE 55 HM's and a companion, big whoop for pvp

2.4 = oh yea, another operation and pvp FINALLY gets something... Arenas

So let's take a look at the timetable: Since December when we got the new craptastic AH map, up until October-ish which is when you all plan on releasing this oh-so big PvP patch, we've gotten 1 map, a new skill, some re-balancing (if that's what you want to call it), and you have the NERVE to question why people who PvP are so damn pissed? Why don't you all just give us the finger and tell us to go jump off a cliff somewhere, at least then we'd know your true stance because at this rate I don't know if you all actually don't care or are just full on retarded when it comes to dealing with this aspect of the game and your customers.

You forgot the pvp re-design of illum. Which was not that popular as i recall as it seemed alot of people actually complained about the pvp.

And we have had two new maps, that have both co-incided with the new operations. Something people seem to forget.

Edited by Yndras

You don't understand the PvPers Eric, sorry to say... you're a nice guy and I appreciate your more forward style of communication. But if all major patches are overwhelmingly PvE focused and a PvP patch is promised, people will hope for the best with that PvP patch.

There are many, many things lacking in this game as far as PvP is concerned, and some people are just sticking around hoping 2.4 fixes all that. When people see that that big 'PvP update' is nothing more than another PvE update with, granted, a bit more PvP content than usual, you will see all the hardcore PvPers leave.

On top of that, just looking at logistics, how much effort can a skeleton crew really devote to making the new PvP content completely bug free when you have two operations to test at the same time and a new planet, and probably devote at least half of the team on the PvE content. This is not what we were hoping for... we all thought this would be that great PvP patch where all resources are channeled into reviving PvP and the way customers look at it.

I guarantee you, if people are unhappy with reading your summer plan for the game, and immediately 10 threads pop up of how you all lied and that this is not what was promised, you will all be hard pressed to make that update into something that will be received warmly... just saying. We also understand that your bosses won't change a darn thing about it because operations and PvE content is, of course, more important to you guys and 2.4 will end up being another broken promise. :(

You may even understand this but I doubt you can speak to your overlords freely and openly. In the end, you will just end up alienating more and more of your PvP player base, until there are just f2pers dabbling in PvP and this is remembered as a game that could have been something great but the team had no experience or will to work on PvP content and give the players what they're asking for.

Well said.

You forgot the pvp re-design of illum. Which was not that popular as i recall as it seemed alot of people actually complained about the pvp.

And we have had two new maps, that have both co-incided with the new operations. Something people seem to forget.

Yea Ilum was redesigned as a desolate wasteland, they took the PVP weekly out of it and now we travel there to gank carebears who sit in lines during the Gree event to turn in their orbs when they have it open. Awesome job.

And TWO new maps? We've had 2... COUNT THEM 2 maps added to PvP since the game launched.... And that's okay with you? If there were only TWO operations/HM's added since the launch of the game, you think people who do progression raiding wouldn't be on these forums absolutely losing their minds? Give me a break...

You know what I want? I want a ranking system for Ranked WZ's, not just sit by idly and let it die like they did with Ilum and all of OWPvP, seeing as people have paid a helluva lot of money to transfer from PvE servers and such to Po5/Bastion for an actual ranked scene. The start of an actual season, seeing as 1.3 we started Pre-Season and we are STILL in it. Class balancing that comes along more times than Haley's comet goes passing by. This 'give them a bone once a year' **** is getting old and Arenas isn't gonna cover up the crap job they've done so far.

Personally, if Eric says its great, and he is excited about it, i take his word for it. I have no reason not to.

/Agree.

Eric ..... being a self proclaimed "mainly PvP" player, AND a person with a generally credible and positive track record with the forum since he became Community Manager.....carries more weight of credibility and outlook then all the teeth gnashing, foot stomping, and complaining (in the absence of actual details or facts) combined in this thread and others, IMO.

Its about time we got new operations but it seems a bit soon for another tier of gear.

People complain that there is not enough gear progression. People complain that there is too much gear progression.

Bioware being ahead of the curve on gear progression is better then being behind the curve IMO. Why? Because every player can pace themselves (or should be able to) and obtain gear progression at the pace they choose. But if they are progressed out.. and nothing left to progress.. then they are stalled.

There is no rule or law or even implication that any player must have the latest tier gear one week after it's made available.

So, since Bioware is going to get reamed in the forums no matter what.. I would prefer they get reamed for being ahead of the curve. It's a good kind of problem to have IMO.

Well said.

Odd.

When I read it, while I found it well written... I also found it to be filled with presumption and condescending tone (not toward Eric) but toward Bioware.

Which just demonstrates once again that in a gaming forum there is never a consensus of opinion or viewpoint. :)

Edited by Andryah

Odd.

When I read it, while I found it well written... I also found it to be filled with presumption and condescending tone (not toward Eric) but toward Bioware.

Which just demonstrates once again that in a gaming forum there is never a consensus of opinion or viewpoint. :)

Of course that's what you'd think. Being an employee at BW and all...

:rolleyes:

You don't find 4v4 arenas even remotely interesting?

Not really, I play an MMO because I want massive epic battles. 4v4 does not satisfy this. Single player games have bigger online battles than this. Of course I wanted huge open world battles, even the slide shows we had in swg were better than what swtor has. I wonder why an ops group can hold 24. Lets see some 24v24 epic battles instead of these piddly skirmishes. This is war after all. Right?

People complain that there is not enough gear progression. People complain that there is too much gear progression.

Bioware being ahead of the curve on gear progression is better then being behind the curve IMO. Why? Because every player can pace themselves (or should be able to) and obtain gear progression at the pace they choose. But if they are progressed out.. and nothing left to progress.. then they are stalled.

There is no rule or law or even implication that any player must have the latest tier gear one week after it's made available.

So, since Bioware is going to get reamed in the forums no matter what.. I would prefer they get reamed for being ahead of the curve. It's a good kind of problem to have IMO.

Ok, but remember that we now have this wonderful new bolster system that was put in place that only bolsters gear that is completely void of expertize. So what happens when 2.4 comes out? Do they increase the amount of bolster given to PVE gear, and make the current PVP gear worse by comparison? Or maybe the keep bolster the way that it is, and PVE players start to complain again because PVP gear is better in warzones than their crafted level 54 gear? I am betting that they screw over the PVP gear, and that will lead to a resounding cheer from the PVE community as they laughingly post their threads about how it is about time that PVP players were slapped down because of that one time that they were ganked while wondering around in the PVP area on Ilum.

Ok, but remember that we now have this wonderful new bolster system that was put in place that only bolsters gear that is completely void of expertize. So what happens when 2.4 comes out? Do they increase the amount of bolster given to PVE gear, and make the current PVP gear worse by comparison? Or maybe the keep bolster the way that it is, and PVE players start to complain again because PVP gear is better in warzones than their crafted level 54 gear? I am betting that they screw over the PVP gear, and that will lead to a resounding cheer from the PVE community as they laughingly post their threads about how it is about time that PVP players were slapped down because of that one time that they were ganked while wondering around in the PVP area on Ilum.

I have an idea. How about we wait until it hits PTS and find out. :)

It's at least two months from PTS.. so I really don't understand all the doom and gloom and fear at this stage.

Edited by Andryah

I have an idea. How about we wait until it hits PTS and find out. :)

It's at least two months from PTS.. so I really don't understand all the doom and gloom and fear at this stage.

I didn't wait because you didn't wait. Remember, I was responding to your post.

I didn't wait because you didn't wait. Remember, I was responding to your post.

That statement made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I have consistently encouraged us all to wait and see, rather then fabricate and project in our minds what is or is-not coming in 2.4

That statement made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I have consistently encouraged us all to wait and see, rather then fabricate and project in our minds what is or is-not coming in 2.4

Ok, let me explain it to you. Your post left me with the impression that you thought that a new tier of gear would be a good thing. Then I responded by letting you know why it might not be a good thing. Now if you had not posted what you did, then I would have had no reason to respond to it. And since you made your post today, it seems reasonable to me that I responded to it today instead of two months from now.

Edited by Exly

Not really, I play an MMO because I want massive epic battles. 4v4 does not satisfy this. Single player games have bigger online battles than this. Of course I wanted huge open world battles, even the slide shows we had in swg were better than what swtor has. I wonder why an ops group can hold 24. Lets see some 24v24 epic battles instead of these piddly skirmishes. This is war after all. Right?

Too bad they're putting this focus into PvE.

:(

Hey guys,

I am getting that some of you are frustrated that there are also Operations coming in 2.4 as a PvP player. This is in no way taking away from the content you are getting. It just means that on top of being an update with PvP content, it also has PvE content in it as well. It is just a bigger update for everyone!

To specifically address some of the concerns I am seeing in the thread. First, the 4v4 Warzone Arenas are not scaled down versions of the current 8v8 maps. They are a brand new Warzone type (deathmatch) on their own brand new maps! Note: Plural! You will see more than one map at launch.

As some have said, this is not the only thing coming in 2.4. We have stated before in this thread the purpose of this is to give you an overview, it does not have every detail. Some of your other concerns...such as queuing for Ranked, will be addressed along with 2.4. We are still working on details and 2.4 is still a ways off. We will continue to release information as we lock things in.

I want to add on a personal note that one of the things I have enjoyed most over the past month or two at work is our twice a week Warzone Arena playtests. I am someone who primarily PvPs when I play SWTOR and they are so, so much fun. I cannot wait for you guys to get your hands on them!

-eric

I will be very disappointed if all the arenas are deathmatch style. That kind of gameplay is very boring. I can understand one of them being deathmatch but variety is always nice. I think a huttball styled gameplay would work very well with 4v4 or even a CTF type game.

Ok, let me explain it to you. Your post left me with the impression that you thought that a new tier of gear would be a good thing. Then I responded by letting you know why it might not be a good thing. Now if you had not posted what you did, then I would have had no reason to respond to it. And since you made your post today, it seems reasonable to me that I responded to it today instead of two months from now.

Actually, IMO, what you posted was all the things you thought they could do wrong in the process of releasing a new tier of gear. None of which you know for any fact to be true. So I suggested we all wait and see rather the prophesy fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

It's waaaaaayyy too early to be projecting what is/is-not in 2.4 or what will/will-not be done properly by Bioware, IMO.

Edited by Andryah

Shall I ? Shall I ? Hmm i wanna ask a question, Grrr. I need to sort characters out and I ask a very important question , ok here goes.

Is there going to be a MK-10 Augment kit ?

Hides , but needs to know as in is the augmentation going to go up a level ?

(hides)

Cheers,

BadOrb.