Summer of SWTOR Update

BruceMaclean

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

August 13th is our target date for our next all new event: Bounty Contract Week!

Bounty Contract Week provides new missions with full voice-over that will take you on a hunt for high-value bounty targets across the galaxy. Each bounty contract scales to your level, from 15 to 55, providing experience, credits, commendations, and reputation with the Bounty Brokers Association. Players will have opportunities to interrogate informants, make dark and light side decisions, and kill or capture their ultimate target. Each time you take a contract, it has a chance to play out a little differently, depending on the information you gather during your hunt. Once you’ve completed enough contracts, you can accept even more dangerous missions to take down notorious crime Kingpins! Rewards include a new mount, new adaptive gear, and a unique companion customization for HK-51! Completing bounty contracts can also earn you achievements which unlock special legacy titles, and even Cartel Coins! Bounty Contract Week is a monthly event, so if you miss it the first time, don’t worry – it will return next month!

Very nice. :)

And in other news... PvPers are rallying for war over this announcement in the forums (because they think they own patch content) AND Treek now feels very loney and ignored. :p

That's what happens when you put PvP development on the back burner, introduce a terrible, TERRIBLE bolster system that should have never made it to live and with the first summer of swtor update say that 'patch 2.4 will be centered around PvP' and offer no details beyond that (lol /rubshands) and then release details of said PvP patch to include more PvE content than PvP.

Frustrating to say the least. Though with almost a year of waiting for content at least we are getting some even though the community seems somewhat divided on arenas as I was against it for some time but would take anything at this point.

I agree 100%. I was against arenas also for class balance issues but really we need something at this point in PvP.

Yeah I'm done with the gear grind, it's old and outplayed in TOR.

IMO, it was old 6 years ago in the genre... even longer ago for some.

Also, agree with others sentiments regarding 2.4 and it supposed to be PvP eccentric.

Does PvP centric mean PvP exclusive? They really have not said much yet on 2.4.

My point being, they really have not told any of us enough yet to go flying off the cliff... but hey.. you guys do what you gotta do I guess. :)

Edited by Andryah

And in other news... PvPers are rallying for war over this announcement in the forums (because they think they own patch content) AND Treek now feels very loney and ignored. :p

Imagine playing a PvP game with PvE on the side and you being a PvE player waiting 11 months for new content and being promised a "major PvE patch'' only to find out that it is 80% PvP with a hint of PvE in it?

This is our life. We complain but its just. Arenas were something that the majority of the community were not asking for. Working bolster, new warzones and season one of ranked were the hot topics.

IMO, it was old 6 years ago in the genre... even longer ago for some.

Does PvP centric mean PvP exclusive? My point being, they really have not told any of us enough yet to go flying off the cliff... but hey.. you guys do what you gotta do I guess. :)

Trust me, I understand the longevity of gear grinds in games, but having a gear grind every 4-6 months is done by games who don't do well.

Point me to PvE eccentric patches that had a lot of PvP content as well.

GG

Scum and Villiany + Rise of the Hutt Cartel = April 9, 2013

New content = October 1, 2013

April 9, 2013 - October 1, 2013 = 6 months of grinding same old boring content.

Sorry Bioware, but you wont be seeing me after my 30 days are up.

Nightmare difficulty isn't "new" content. You can argue as much as you'd like but, its just something Bioware wants you to think is content so you'll stay longer in this lifeless game. Same bosses, same trash, just upgraded HP and one or two new mechanics which is not content.

Character Customization isn't "new" content either, its already in the game when you first create your character but if you want to redesign your appearance better have some real $.

Cartel Packs aren't "new" content either, charging us for 10 cc for titles or fireworks to celebrate events is STUPID.

Edited by PunisherAS

You never pass up a chance to try to incite PvPers do you Andryah?! Really nice...

I dont think this is the response they expected.

Indeed, but can you blame us for it though?

2.4 was market as PVP, with a few pve things.

NOW its the reverse, 2.4 is market as a PVE patch with a few pvp things.

I don't used this phrase often as I think it been played out too much, but this patch news update as it is...is a PIMP hand slap to all of us who was wanting to big pvp patch...which btw was not the players fault this time for thinking that the pvp patch would be a pvp patch.

Hey Bruce,

I would love it if you guys could talk about quality of life improvements on the way. Way back in the day Jeff Hickman made this statement in State of the Game 3 - "In fact, our major focus after Rise of the Hutt Cartel launches is going to be on "quality of life" improvements" (http://www.swtor.com/blog/state-game-3). So far, the QOL features have been the barber shop (which some debate is a QOL feature given it requires Cartel Coins even for subscribers), mission rewards in the log, dye modules, paid transfers, character rename, the collections system, guild and reputation bonuses, and the graphics update in 2.3.

Are there others planned, and if so, could you talk about them even if it is in general terms?

Indeed, but can you blame us for it though?

2.4 was market as PVP, with a few pve things.

NOW its the reverse, 2.4 is market as a PVE patch with a few pvp things.

I don't used this phrase often as I think it been played out too much, but this patch news update as it is...is a PIMP hand slap to all of us who was wanting to big pvp patch...which btw was not the players fault this time for thinking that the pvp patch would be a pvp patch.

And the thing is, these are probably the highlights of 2.4

They rarely "surprise us" with extra information that theyve held back

First off, I'm a PvE'er, I don't do PvP (because i suck at it). With that being said, the patch notes for 2.4 don't make any sense to me. 2.4 is supposed to be you're big PvP update. A few new maps for 4v4 (just assuming they're new maps based on the OP) isn't exactly "big" considering how much PvE content has been released since the Hypergate map. There have been a lot of people leaving the game because of the lack of PvP content, and honestly I don't think this is going to be enough to bring those people back. Seriously, if you want those PvP'er subs back (and their money) you need to throw them a bigger bone. Or an entire skeleton, those people are like rabid dogs.

Second, a new planet with a short story arc, 2 new operations and a brand new tier of gear for both PvE and PvP??? With the lvl 58, 61, 63 mods for lvl 50's and 66, 69, 72, 75 and 7x for 55's is a bit strange. To me, it's like you're prepping to launch another "expansion" with a level increase, which would be waaaay too soon.

I'll admit, the amount of new content you guys are pushing out is incredible, a little misdirected, but incredible all the same.

Edited by orangenkaiser

Imagine playing a PvP game with PvE on the side and you being a PvE player waiting 11 months for new content and being promised a "major PvP patch'' only to find out that it is 80% PvP with a hint of PvE in it?

This is our life. We complain but its just. Arenas were something that the majority of the community were not asking for. Working bolster, new warzones and season one of ranked were the hot topics.

20% of a patch is still more than 0-5% of a patch right....so in their eyes this does qualify as a MAJOR PvP patch! Just not exclusively a PvP patch.

Imagine playing a PvP game with PvE on the side and you being a PvE player waiting 11 months for new content and being promised a "major PvE patch'' only to find out that it is 80% PvP with a hint of PvE in it?

I am both practical and pragmatic. I also know how to get my needs met. If I was facing the scenario you describe above... I would go find the MMO that meets my needs. In fact, most likely I would play one (or more) MMO for my PvE and a different MMO for my PvP. This is indeed what I do, and have done for years.

PvPer arguments amongst themselves over PvP content is between you avid PvPers. I PvP, but only casually with my guild. I never play arena style play, and although I followed and commented on the Pro/Con arena discussions... it was never clear in those threads what the PvP majority view was on arenas. So honestly, I don't know where the majority of PvPers are on this. Generally though.. as a player segment.. PvPers come across rather fractured with respect to nees/wants (other then clear fixations about things like "bolster").

That said.. you don't have 2.4 on PTS or a set of patch notes yet.. so you have no idea what is in/not-in 2.4 PvP content yet. Jumping the gun a bit, IMO... but as I said above.. you guys do what you gotta do.

Edited by Andryah

Yeah I'm done with the gear grind, it's old and outplayed in TOR.

Also, agree with others sentiments regarding 2.4 and it supposed to be PvP eccentric.

Shlda known better.

Exactly. I'm back to being angry and a foot out the door again :./ Wonder what the EMU looks like these days???

Seriously though, the new gear grind - we're not even given lube. It'd be one thing if, you know, this were actually a PvP only patch with all sorts of long overdue goodies. And then, yeah, here's new gear to grind.

We're basically getting at most half the patch's development, when we're beyond due a pure PvP centric patch or three.

Exactly. I'm back to being angry and a foot out the door again :./ Wonder what the EMU looks like these days???

Seriously though, the new gear grind - we're not even given lube. It'd be one thing if, you know, this were actually a PvP only patch with all sorts of long overdue goodies. And then, yeah, here's new gear to grind.

We're basically getting at most half the patch's development, when we're beyond due a pure PvP centric patch or three.

Ditto this.

I am both practical and pragmatic. I also know how to get my needs met. If I was facing the scenario you describe above... I would go find the MMO that meets my needs. In fact, most likely I would play one (or more) MMO for my PvE and a different MMO for my PvP. This is indeed what I do, and have done for years.

PvPer arguments amongst themselves over PvP content is between you avid PvPers. I PvP, but only casually with my guild. I never play arena style play, and although I followed and commented on the Pro/Con arena discussions... it was never clear in those threads what the PvP majority view was on arenas. So honestly, I don't know where the majority of PvPers are on this. Generally though.. as a player segment.. PvPers come across rather fractured with respect to nees/wants (other then clear fixations about things like "bolster").

That said.. you don't have 2.4 on PTS or a set of patch notes yet.. so you have no idea what is in/not-in 2.4 PvP content yet. Jumping the gun a bit, IMO... but as I said above.. you guys do what you gotta do.

I have already quit but have a pile of warzone passes so I still play from time to time. I know that myself and others have looked for other games and there are some decent ones on the way which I will check out but all bets are off when BF4 comes out.

And to touch on 2.4 not being on the PTS with no patch notes I will agree that there could be things that are going in that were not touched on here. However, given the lack of updates in regards to PvP I think it would be a mistake to leave anything out as you can see by the majority of players here have expressed their opinions here with lulz on what is coming.

As someone who pvps more than pves I'd be ok with that list if it included extensive and well thought out balance and quality of life changes. Things like adjusting time to kill, overhauling bolster into something easier to understand, and maybe changing the way set bonuses are applied so they could be more easily chosen on both pve and pvp gear. Oh, and maybe do something about allowing people to re-login into a ranked warzone after the server/game boots them.

Unfortunately changes like that don't seem to be something on the docket. Instead we'll get 4v4 arenas that will likely amount to something people can organize and do themselves in Outlaw's Den.... but now with disconnects and /stuck.

Edited by TuxedoMazoku

October 1 is our target for Game Update 2.4! This update is shaping up to be very big:

• The Planet Oricon, a short story arc that will bring you face-to-face with the Dread Masters.
  • New Operation: Dread Fortress
  • New Operation: Dread Palace
  • New 4v4 Warzone Arenas
  • New Elder Game PvE and PvP Gear

!

Any chance this is a start of bioware making every patch PvE & PvP?

I primarily PvE but seeing more PvP content is never a bad thing..

Also, any word on how many bosses and the difficulty levels planned for each?