[Guide/Video] Min-Maxing DPS, Stat / Gear Check

Xinika

has someone actually spent the time to parse stuff between 30% crit, 25% and none? I doubt going above 25% is worth it (only for the selfheals)

You won't parse higher. Not the point either.

It's to ensure higher stability of outgoing damage (and burst reliability).

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Full Deception. I asked Stalker this question several weeks ago before he transferred back to JC, he has the #8 and 15 Shadow/Sin in yolos. Full Deception was his answer. My guild leader is the #3 and 11 Shadow/Sin in yolos, he runs Full Deception as well. It just offers better single target burst damage/higher kill pressure. For group, I can see running either setup. Especially if you're running double Sin, since double Death Field is really painful. But if you're running something like Roudy's teamcomp, Deception/Carnage...then full Deception is the way to go.

I would argue that. When it really comes down to it though both 7/36/3 and 0/31/15 work just fine.

Each it's advantages.

Without bragging or trying to show off, I can say I have a solid experience in arenas in the last 2 seasons, probably more than 1000 ranked arenas played on my shadow and assassin. I can't say there is a go-to spec for solo ranked (even team ranked, for that matter). Shadows/Assassins have the extremely good potential to spec different types of hybrids for different types of utility. Deception with DF is simply the spec I like the most, good for doing quick dps asap before you get killed, also is good when there are ranged classes queueing, and has remarkable dps even when in tank stance to guard a healer. I also prefer it when there are more sentinels around.

I like to spec the 19-27 tank-deception hybrid when there are more veng juggernauts in queue, but only if I don't get pops with tanks - if there are tanks, I stick to Deception with DF or full Deception, or spec full tank myself. Basically, if there are too many root classes around and no tanks in queue, I go this spec mainly for the root breaking Force Speed.

Full Deception I use usually when I just want a change, and for the superior single target pressure (so usually if there are more sages/mandos in queue), also I prefer it for team ranked. Especially since for hard switch compositions the +6% dmg received by the target when controlled by your hard stun does help quite a bit, and the +6% dmg dealt to targets under 30% is another handy bonus. Madness is kinda viable for team ranked too, but depends on your team and the enemy team... And if you play tanktunnel.

Really though, the difference between Full Deception and DF hybrid is minimal in solo ranked, with the difference that as Full Deception you will do much less damage if the opponents focus you.

But especially to bad shadow/assassin players, I recommend Deception+DF for solo ranked, this way they can do 20k+ dmg with a single Death Field with Recklessness. It really pisses me off when a shadow dies with less than at least 40k dmg done.

TL;DR For solo ranked you need to be able to use all the versatility that the assassin class offers, so you have to adapt your spec to the opponents; for team the options are a bit more limited, but after 2.8 there would be more options and specs available for team ranked setting, too. As Evo said, each it's advantages.

Edited by DarrelK

I would argue that. When it really comes down to it though both 7/36/3 and 0/31/15 work just fine.

Each it's advantages.

Yeah, true, I can agree with that. Especially 4 dps vs 4 dps matches, if you can hit a few 3-4 man DFs you're putting a lot of people behind on the enemy team.

How is the Force management in the 18/27/1 or 19/27 hybrid? I've never played it because guards in yolo queue are gay. But I was thinking about trying it out after queuing against 3 jugg teams ALL afternoon yesterday and losing too much rating.

Force management is like the bane of the 19/27 spec. Since your Shock hits like a truck in tank stance when you get the proc, it is worth using.. but it does not have force cost reductions, which leads to starvation. You often have to use auto-attack.

Honestly it can still do decent dps though, around 1000 dps is pretty much doable if you don't get bad luck with procs and have anything to hit. Also the accuracy debuff from Discharge helps against all these white attacks around (all attacks of course, but the white ones especially). 5 second Shroud, Root breaking force speed, guard, increased survivability, Overcharge Saber is actually a pretty epic defensive cooldown.

If the stars align, your opening burst (with the stance dance - Recklessness in stealth while in Surging Charge, swap to tank stance, and then double discharge + getting proc for Shock + Maul) is pretty darn epic.

A spec with extremely nice utility.. if only the force management was not so tight :(

Edited by DarrelK

• 2 weeks later...
has someone actually spent the time to parse stuff between 30% crit, 25% and none? I doubt going above 25% is worth it (only for the selfheals)

I don't get the crit stacking thing... and I really don't get why anyone is talking about "percent" crit. There really isn't a reason to aim for a certain percentage. No ability in the Balance spec benefits from any more than 400 crit. I get that high crit reduces variance and/or range of total damage... but in a wz? You want the amount of crit that will give the best average expected damage. That's probably like 300 crit in pvp (you want a little more in pvp than pve... FiB and DoTs all benefit from around 400 crit, and these make up more of your damage in pvp).

Top two shadow parses on the 2.8 leaderboards have under 400 crit. 500 crit is a waste of stat allocation and anyone doing so will gimp themselves.

Top 3, actually, Civilie took number 3 recently. The next 5 or 6 in line also have less than 450, though this is only among people with AMRs posted.

• 3 months later...
Since it's been a while since I played my assassin, I felt like I should ask if the "One With Sin" (2/31/13) build is still viable in PvP in terms of damage, utility and survivability after all the changes done to their trees? Or am I better off running full Deception or Madness instead?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

OP Updated.

- Reduced Clutter of Old Material but may still be very helpful as mechanics have not changed dramatically.

- New PvE DPS Updates added.

- PvP Section in the works.

Edited by Xinika

OP Updated.

- Reduced Clutter of Old Material but may still be very helpful as mechanics have not changed dramatically.

- New PvE DPS Updates added.

- PvP Section in the works.

I hate to be "that guy" but you swapped Deception and Hatred by accident. Also, I would personally suggest a tiny bit of Alacrity rating as you get more Surge, but Evo is right in saying that it will begin to desynchronize your Cloak and Potency, as well as not speeding them up to keep up with your rotation. It just won't be significant under a certain amount of Alacrity that I haven't calculated yet.

I hate to be "that guy" but you swapped Deception and Hatred by accident. Also, I would personally suggest a tiny bit of Alacrity rating as you get more Surge, but Evo is right in saying that it will begin to desynchronize your Cloak and Potency, as well as not speeding them up to keep up with your rotation. It just won't be significant under a certain amount of Alacrity that I haven't calculated yet.

Fixed.

• 3 weeks later...
So for the pvp darkness, are you saying is best to go just the 7 pc and offhand(sheild) and everything else dps? And im talking about team / yolo not regs

It's better to just use DPS Stalker gear with a Shield Off-Handas Darkness for ranked. You shouldn't be getting tank tunneled. If you care to soak damage and perform damage taken records in regs, then use full tank gear with a dedicated healer.

I do not understand the point of Accuracy for the hatred spec. Great guide as always and enjoyed the video.

Between tanks becoming more common and the fact that your hardest hitters are melee attacks, you definitely need accuracy.

Edit:

I'm assuming you're talking PvP. If you're talking PvE, I think you need to brush up on your basics.

Edited by Aelanis