Leveling to 50 - it's way too fast

Trimsic

If you want a challenge try leaving a planet as soon as you reach the level needed for the next planet...

Otherwise stop your ************.

As far as total leveling time? Yes, it's a bit short relative to other MMO's, but why is that automatically a bad thing?

What matters is the content.

If the content is 5x as dense and 2x as awesome, even if you spend 1/2 the time you normally would in other MMO's leveling, you're still getting a much better overall experience.

I think this setup is IDEAL for a game who's story arcs for EVERY SINGLE CLASS is UNIQUE. That alone justifies the design choice. I think you should stop judging the game poorly based on how it changes from the traditional MMO style and instead focus on what it really does well.

---

TLDR - The game has twice as good of content, a lot more of it, but takes less time to reach max level. It is overall a win/win situation unless you absolutely HATE having alts, and even then the end game content is acceptable for a game that JUST launched.

You should stop your ************ about us :) Pointing out flaws in a game and how to fix them is the purpose of a forum. And if you don't like reading opinions like our's and consider them "************" you should probably just avoid forums all together.

And your argument avoids the whole point anyways. What good is having content that's "5x as dense and 2x as awesome" if your character levels at such a rapid rate you are forced to skip over the content. That's the issue.

I had to completely skip the planet of Taris for example after Coruscant becaus the modifaction gear there began at level 13 - a level I had long ago reached probably before I even made it through Black Sun Territory. So I had to move on to Nar Shadur (however you spell it) just so I could make use out of the quest rewards and upgrade my gear appropriately to my character.

They should at least give players the option to turn off their exp bars. That seems a very fair compromise to me, and would make it a lot easier for players like me who aren't in a hurry and dont' want to rush to the end of the game so we can then complain about how bored we are.

Edited by JeremyDale

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are banking heavily on people making LOTS of alts. The fully voiced aspect is also going to make new content slower to put out as well. I am curious how they are going to try to handle people easily reaching 50 inside the trail period.

Well, it's not that easy if you actually listen to the story and quest dialog. It also depends on your AC. I was hitting it 8 hours a day the first thee-four days. I'm at 39 with 96 hours of game play. Yes, there was some dead time there to work on craftng and such. I'd say I'll probably be at seven or so game days when I reach 50. Is that fast, I dunno, people could get to 80 that fast in WoW before Cataclysm, and I know a couple of people that reached max level in Rift faster than 168 hours.

If you choose to just rifle through the content at break neck speed, well, pardon me if I don't have any sympathy for you. I'm above average in terms of time spent in game, and I'm only 39 as of today, and I started 7:35am on the 13th.

The suggestion is to make this game an asian grinder then?

No. Where did you get that impression?

The suggestion is that it should take longer than a couple weeks for a non power-grinding leveler to reach 50.

Think about it. If it takes no more than a couple weeks to max level, even with 7 alts, thats 16 weeks to max out all alts if you play them like that. Thats exhausting all game content in less than 6 months.

The speed of leveling is so high that I actually was overlevel for Coruscant. My mistake was taking it slow and not rushing to the next area soon as I hit the level max for mine. Oh shame on me. :rolleyes:

They said in a post (BW did) that they bumped up leveling on origin worlds to make sure you could skip through the game and get to Fleet at level 10. That makes sense. Yea... that they even let you go to the Fleet before you hit 10 is stupid.

Too much casual BS in this game which is otherwise excellent. Its too easy to either skip everything or get overlevel by completing everything.

I think its ironic that if you actually complete everything you'll be overlevel! They're punishing us for playing it thoroughly. I guess thats because we should leave some side quests for when our alt shows up on the same planet. :rolleyes:

Leveling is totally fine. The vast majority of the player base is currently in their late 20s early 30s. I personally am level 40 and that is with me investing a good amount everyday since early access.

People also need to remember this is a launch mmo with a level cap of 50.

The suggestion is to make this game an asian grinder then? The leveling speed is fine, I just hit 32 and I'm only a couple levels ahead of where it says I should be. I too do almost everything available to me.

The suggestion is to slow the pace down to where you can actually play the content without outgrowing it at the same time.

I have to actively avoid getting exp while i'm playing simply because I don't want to ruin the rest of the planet for me by making all of the gear and rewards too low for me to actaully use. And even when I do this it's not enough.

I haven't even made it past the Nikto sector in Nar Shaduur for example and I'm already almost ready for the next planet. It's just ridiculous.

I suppose what I'll have to do is beat the first or second areas on each planet then move on the next - skipping over half of each planet because that is how the game is designed to play currently. I got over 11k exp from just a single quest today - and just farming for credits alone so I could level up my crafting got me two levels. The pace outraces the game and makes a lot of the game's content insignificant. I just hate to see it, as so much of a great game is going to waste for me.

Leveling is totally fine. The vast majority of the player base is currently in their late 20s early 30s. I personally am level 40 and that is with me investing a good amount everyday since early access.

People also need to remember this is a launch mmo with a level cap of 50.

It's not "totally fine". The game is paced too quickly, and you outlevel the content long before you should - as evidenced by your post. You are already level 40 and you haven't even used up your 30 day free trial.

I rest my case.

The suggestion is to make this game an asian grinder then? The leveling speed is fine, I just hit 32 and I'm only a couple levels ahead of where it says I should be. I too do almost everything available to me.

Grinding is not fun. No one wants to grind all day long. Remember AION, where content was terribly missing, and people had to grind to reach their max level. This game has failed in north America and in Europe mainly for this reason.

To be honest, please tell me: who has to grind in SWToR? I mean, one has just to follow the story line, accomplish the quests, do the flashpoints with his / her friends, and gain the XP needed to reach the max level of this game. Is this grinding? No, it's not.

The problem is that we gain much too XP. I've started Alderaan at the level 33. Alderaan is supposed to be a planet with a content designed for the levels 28-32. When I finished Tatooine, the last quests were gray...

Seriously, Bioware why did you do that? Several years of development, with a huge and fantastic content from level 1 to 50, either completely done in a couple of weeks, or with the feeling that we terribly need an /XPOFF option to explore the content of the game at the right level...

The suggestion is to slow the pace down to where you can actually play the content without outgrowing it at the same time.

I have to actively avoid getting exp while i'm playing simply because I don't want to ruin the rest of the planet for me by making all of the gear and rewards too low for me to actaully use. And even when I do this it's not enough.

I haven't even made it past the Nikto sector in Nar Shaduur for example and I'm already almost ready for the next planet. It's just ridiculous.

I suppose what I'll have to do is beat the first or second areas on each planet then move on the next - skipping over half of each planet because that is how the game is designed to play currently. I got over 11k exp from just a single quest today - and just farming for credits alone so I could level up my crafting got me two levels. The pace outraces the game and makes a lot of the game's content insignificant. I just hate to see it, as so much of a great game is going to waste for me.

I'll give you this. You at least articulated the argument in a reasonable manner.

A lot of people aren't getting the point - nobody's asking for a grind fest.

It's simply a problem that if you do all the content on a planet, you're going to vastly outstrip the level curve. I like to do everything. I don't like to skip quests. I like to do Flashpoints. I like to do Heroics. I like to go back and help friends if they need it. As a consequence, I'm currently sitting here 6 levels above the planetary progression curve and I *HATE* it. It's gotten to the point where I want to say no to helping my friends through a Heroic or a Flashpoint b/c I don't want to get the XP that's going to push me further ahead of where I should be for my planetary progression.

By the time I got to Alderaan, the entire planet was grey-con. That's not particularly fun.

Now, I don't think you should have to do everything to progress, but couldn't things be tuned such that if you DO decide to do everything, you only end up a level or two ahead of the curve? I think lowering the XP gain from Green quests would accomplish that.

Edited by Giolon

Why do people feel like they need to do every single mission on every single planet? If you did that in any other MMO you'd outlevel huge swathes of game content, too. But for some reason in TOR people feel they can't skip anything.

I guess the reason is that there's story content to experience in TOR whereas quests in WoW and other MMOs are just boring old blurbs telling you to kill stuff. If you're leveling too fast, don't do the bonus objectives. You can still get all the story that way without overdoing it on the XP. Besides, if you care about absorbing every ounce of story that much, then surely you are planning to roll every class, and that means you'll have plenty of opportunity later on to do any of the missions you've skipped on your current character. In fact, it's better off if you skip things to leave fresh side-missions for you to do on future characters.

The other side of this is that if you slowed down leveling, people who want to just solo and don't want to do FPs, heroics or pvp will end up having to grind levels, and nobody should be put through that. And yes, even though it is an MMO people should be able to solo the game... your way to play is not the only way that is right.

I can see the same issue as in the Beta version of the game: leveling to 50 is way too fast.

For instance, when I started Tatooine yesterday I was almost level 30. Tatooine is supposed to be done by players whose level is 24-28, and indeed the quests and the mobs on this planet are of that level.

If you feel like you are overleveling the content, that is actually a good sign. It means you actually WANT to do all the quests/missions because they are actually engaging and interesting, unlike in other MMOs where you just want to get the hell out of there and skip as many as possible to level up faster.

I think the way it is right now is fine as it allows people to level how they want. They can pick and choose missions or they can go all out.

Essentially your complaint is equivalent to someone going to two different regions in WoW that were for 20-25, and completing all of the quests in both of them, and then complaining that you are overleveled. In WoW it was never intended that a person do both, and if they did they would be overleveled, so it would be unreasonable for them to complain about it... but once again you feel intrigued by the missions and are willing to do more, so it becomes a "problem."

Edited by lmpervious

more or less all games today are way to fast paced in my opinion

1 month for pwrgamers to reach endgame, would for me be a good MINIMUM

i would prefer 3 months or so for the pwrgamers

once they start to get to max lvl, you can start to make the early lvls easier

i remember in daoc where it at first took a long time to lvl up, and OMG getting that last lvl felt like a huge acomplishment, we had officers in our pvp guild that more than a year down the line still werent max lvl, mainly because pvp didnt give much if any xp at first and they mainly did pvp

all games i have played since then(besides lineage2), have been way to fast, when gamecompanies decide on an average time for casuals to get to max lvl of 1 month(rift), then its not going to take pwrgamers more than a few days to get there

and dont get me started on crafting, im still downloading the game, so i cant say for sure for this game, but im 99,99% sure that it will be just as stupidly easy to do as in all the recent games, i remember in WOW many years ago when i still played that crap, i maxxed out 3 craftskills from 0-250(or 300 or whatever the cap was then) in 1 day, just by buying mats of the AH and crafting, when crafting is so easy you wont have any custumors, because everybody will just lvl up their own crafter, crafting should be so hard/boring/expensive that 95% of the population wont bother with it, that gives each hardworking crafter about 20 custumors average...

I think the problem could be addressed by lowering the amount of XP you get by doing Green quests so that by continuing to do them, you'd eventually meet back down to where you "should be" according to the planet's recommended levels. As long as quests are yellow or orange con you'd be leveling fine and not have to go back and do anything outside of that. If you decide to do the sidequests for the story and loot, you'd still get all that and still make progress, but just not at a pace that's going to cause you to level out of control.

If you want a challenge try leaving a planet as soon as you reach the level needed for the next planet...

Otherwise stop your ************.

As far as total leveling time? Yes, it's a bit short relative to other MMO's, but why is that automatically a bad thing?

You didn't read much of what we are posting. We like content, we are just out leveling the content.

I personally am missing content because I don't want to do extra things so I don't out level everything. I don't want to be level 50 doing level 40 missions to get content. I want content and a challenge too.

My recommendation is to add an option to turn OFF kill experience. This affects no one if you like it the way it is now. It makes it better for others who don't want to skip content to slow their leveling pace down.

I would love to run PvP, and space missions I don't feel I can because I'm already 4 - 5 level above my current class missions.

I just like how people are blaming US for accidentally without realizing that it was a problem getting levelled ahead of the content. Maybe you could accept that it was flawed game design? If they're trying to attract a lot of single player gamers in with their "Story Pillar" then we're used to being allowed to just explore at our pace and do as much or as little as we want.

I never imagined that I'd be 'doing it wrong' by playing all the content offered to me.

A game should never punish a player for exploring it.

As someone who doesn't do anything that requires other people (i.e. pvp, heroics, flashpoints) I can say that I seem to be right around where they want me to be, though since I am doing everything else, I was a bit over-leveled around lvls 17-23 as a BH. Of course I was also playing through all the space-missions I could at that point, which if I had continued to do so I think I'd be over-leveled somewhat for my current lvl 25-26 questing.

There -is- too much exp I'd think then, if someone like me can be a bit over leveled (mind by only 1 or 2) by just doing all the content on a planet that is single-player only..and one extra thing. for me its just space combat, but then I'm skipping pvp, heroics and flashpoints.

That said I am -glad- I don't have to grind in this game to get to the next bit of story. I'm treating this like a fully single-player game, and so far the game is setup to allow me to do so.

I think an option to turn off xp for those who don't want to be earning it would be a easy-ish fix for this then. If you want to be at the right level for the content, get there and stop leveling for a bit.That seems like the best option to both A-allow the game to remain the way it is now for people like me. And B-provide an option for others who don't play like me to be able to play in a manner that best suits them. Anything else seems like your going to have to take away from one group of players enjoyment, to boost the enjoyment of another group.

Then again, I likely won't be here 6 months from now when I'd played through the game enough times to run out of single-player content, so perhaps by then there will be a heavy incentive to provide a more traditional MMO experience. Only time will tell I guess.

Edited by BladedEdge

If people are reaching level 50 already then they simpley are playing to much. I been in early access since day one granted not played for 4 days but i am level 16.

Play 2 hours here and there when i can. So basically stop being on it all day and enjoy life.

Levelling does seem way too quick in the game, it's going to be far too easy to max level two toons in a month and see all the planets the main plotlines have to offer. I miss the days of EQ, XP loss on death, it being a real achievement to reach max level, endgame is important but why not make leveling up just as major part of an MMO.

Not sure why it matters, unless their endgame is absolutely terrible and they have no interest in improving it. I doubt both those statements.

Levelling does seem way too quick in the game, it's going to be far too easy to max level two toons in a month and see all the planets the main plotlines have to offer. I miss the days of EQ, XP loss on death, it being a real achievement to reach max level, endgame is important but why not make leveling up just as major part of an MMO.

Last I remember EQ is still around. You could go play that and enjoy the massive, massive time sink as you try to catch up to well-established players.

Edited by Excedrin