Why no acknowledgement of overpowered heals?

MajinUltima

The people complaining here are:

1. Ignorant
  2. Bad DPS players

Now let me elaborate. There is only one healing class that cannot be shut out completely. That is the Operative. If you're complaining about heals being powerful, you are:

1. Fighting an imbalanced situation, 2 (healer + tank) versus 1 (you)
  2. Have crappy team-work (multiple DPS focusing the healer instead of keeping the healer busy with 1, and killing the tank with the rest)
  3. Really bad at playing their class (Smashtards who don't know about free force scream and a filler rotation)

Sorcerer healers have kiting abilities, but you only need to interrupt innervate, and the rest of their healing abilities will cost them dearly. Innervate is the only force-efficient heal. The moment you force them to frantically use Dark Heal you've won because they'll be dry on force within 30 seconds. Their kiting abilities can be mitigated by slows, and roots. They have only one 4-second stun, and a useless 8-second soft-CC which is not in their interest to cast if you have your breaker available.

Commando healers can be interrupted, rooted, and have no kiting ability beside a knock-back and electronet.

The operative healer has instant heals that can be used on the run. While they aren't much, they put out better numbers under focus fire/pressure than any other class (simply because they can't be interrupted). Kolto-Cloud is your enemy, its a 10 meter AOE heal near the scoundrel/operative. This can be used while kiting, which they can do effectively with an evasion buff, flash-bang, a kick to the balls, and stealth.

The trick with operative healers is to push them away from the fight, that way they cant use Kolto Cloud in conjunction with their Kolto Probes.

Are all healers overpowered? No. They can heal 1 persons damage. Under pressure two of the three healing classes cannot effectively heal the group. So as long as you have 1 DPS keeping them busy you have free-reigns on the rest of their team (supposing the rest of your team is not filled with terribad DPS'ers).

The only healing class that give's the impression of overpoweredness is the operative/scoundrel healer. This is arguable whether or not it is overtuned. However, I must admit that a good Operative/Scoundrel healer requires two people to shut out effectively:

1. One needs to force them to pop their battle stealth, and flash bang
  2. The other needs to be a Juggernaught/Assassin/Powertech who can push/pull the Operative away from their team.

Just to fix a couple things.

1) Commandos/Merc also have hold the line ability.

2) OP/Smuggler kolto cloud can be used on a targeted player that is then a 10 meter around that targeted player. Not just for the healer themselves.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people are focusing too much on Leader board numbers and not whats actually going on in the warzone.

Of course in the Leader boards you will probably see a healer do twice as much heals as the top DPS on the other team or something close. This is because as a healer you are healing multiple people at the same time for the entire game.. This does not mean heals are overpowered. Now a DPS player could certainly play by tagging everyone in the game with dots and pot shots here and there and achieve crazy numbers.. However this will not cause anyone to die..

A healer can only heal someone who is @ 99% health or below. Almost any class in this game.. That is stacked up seems overpowered but is not always the case..

If healers are nerfed they will become utterly useless. 1 Healer is supposed to be able to Cover the damage of 2 dps and a tanks worth of damage. (this doesn't mean god mode.) Its the mirror of your ideal Composition. A Second healer would then cover the rest. The key is to be able to out smart the healer and take him/her down .

whilst they are doing that.

Other games rather than have the healer as just a Soul savior class .. They make it so heals are a byproduct of their attacks. This might be something Bioware could look into .. A True Combat Medic.. A class with the key knowledge of the humanoid body to inflict ideal damage and heal. Possibly via AoE damage dots and certain attacks.. This would allow bioware to Tone down the so called OP heals and allow the healers to defend themselves and contribute to the fight. The way kolto bomb on a commando work is the basis for this however it needs to be looked into for all classes and a full range of other abilities.

These are just my half sleep ramblings..

Edited by prodigyqnz

People often say if a DPS can always beat a healer there would be no reason to have a healer. That is true.

But if a healer can always outheal what one DPS can do, the reverse is also true. Sure, without any DPS it's not clear how you'd win, but you also won't lose either.

Prior to 2.0 you can reasonably lock down a healer on a 1on1 and effectively 'beat' him. You don't even necessarily need your best DPS. Someone with a fast interrupt (8s or even 6s CD) can shut down most of the healing output of a Sage/Commando. That guy won't necessarily kill him but if the healer is healing less than the DPS done by that guy then your team is obviously ahead. Of course even before 2.0 Scoundrels were always a problem because they're basically impossible to shut down due to having so many heals that can be cast while on the move.

Instead of fixing this, things actually got worse in 2.0 as we have more heals that are uninterruptible (Sage CD) or faster (Salvation talented, Sage CD) and healers have more escapes.

I really don't get the logic of healer must be able to beat a DPS on a person to person basis. Why should a healer's contribution be higher than a DPS, just because he is a healer? It should be quite possible for say a DPS to do 500K and a healer only healed 400K and the healer will be effectively beaten at the 1on1 level in such a game. Right now this scenario is basically impossible.

I was typing out a long winded, factual post about how HPS should be higher than DPS. I thought about it, and found that even with an overbearing amount of logic, you would just fold your arms and yell NUH UH I SHOULD BE ABLE TO KILL ANYTHING IN < 5 GCDS! I SAVED THE UNIVERSE DIDN'T YOU KNOW!

So I'll leave it at this. Please stop making posts like this. You are wrong. HPS should always be higher than DPS. Please watch some rated streams to see how to focus targets and to easily kill healers.

do over heals get counted in the scoreboard? E.g. if you at max-100 and I heal you for 5000 health, do I get +100 added to my scoreboard heals or 5000? If it is the former, then I can't see how heals (in aggregate) could ever exceed damage.

Overheals DON'T get counted (which is why AFKing Sage/Sorcs had to spam their life tap to inflate the meter for medals). Healers are STILL consistently ahead on the scoreboard despite this fact.

If there was more damage, there wouldn't be more dead people on the healer's team, there would be higher healing numbers often without any extra button presses or resource management challenges.

Pretty much. In the case of Sage/Sorcs, they can even burn through their force bar and just die to respawn back at full. A small penalty to your time being alive is a small price to pay for entirely avoiding resource management.

You instantly lose all credibility when you suggest that healers have dominated PVP since 1.2.

It's been so long the patches bleed together, I picked a random one from the approximate period when healers started to really pick up in OPness. It was never really hard to get high healing numbers even early on, but it sure felt like healers themselves were a lot more capable OF being controlled and focused down with good gameplay. Whereas now... good luck pinning down anything but a Merc/Commando.

People often say if a DPS can always beat a healer there would be no reason to have a healer. That is true.

My idea of balance is that an unfocused healer SHOULD outperform DPS, you should have to play at least a little bit strategically. It should not be by a huge margin though. My idea of balance is also that a healer with someone relentlessly bashing on them, properly using interrupts etc, SHOULD be able to kill a healer within a reasonable timeframe. The problem is that healers (at the very least not Merc/Commandos) outperform DPS even while being focused, and it only scales up from there, with so many mobility and escapes that it becomes impossible for ranged dps to even fight them and a challenge for melee to even keep up.

So I'll leave it at this. Please stop making posts like this. You are wrong. HPS should always be higher than DPS. Please watch some rated streams to see how to focus targets and to easily kill healers.

Then you entirely misread what I've been posting and your ignorance encourages you to put up that typical troll response of "you suck, focus better". Healers, at the very least certain healers, don't suffer much (or even at all for Smug/Op) even when focused, making that argument entirely stupid. That argument implies an environment where you CAN interrupt their heals and where they will DIE if chain-CCed... that environment doesn't exist in a world of spammable HOTs and bubbles, where the resolve meter fills long before the target even hits half health.

That USED TO happen in a group context, perhaps the change is simply one of gear scaling. The problem is that it doesn't often happen anymore (except in very niche cases where a healer just sits there and takes it, with no assistance, while a Sniper or Marauder opens up their full rotation on them, and makes no effort to escape).

this is up there with the whines about premades.

"wah i cant kill that other guy for some reason, bioware do something to make it so i can kill him!!!"

The capitalization and maturity level reflects the quality of the commentary therein. This was so trollishly bad I had to have a chuckle at it. It is, in fact, quite ironic in that I'm sure most of my opponents when 1v1s occur feel the same way, regardless of my class.

This IS connected to the whining about premades actually, in that premades get carried on the back of overpowered heals. Even that one poster with her little bullet points and long posts... dodged the fact that premades are almost always heavily stacking healers or hybrid-healers, definitely in a much higher quantity than the 1/4 ratio they exist at in PVE. If you consider the typical PVE group distribution as the intended rough distribution for groups in all content, a 4-man premade should have a maximum of 1 dedicated healer. How often does THAT happen in premades? LOL

Here's a game I just finished that's pretty illustrative of why healing is ridiculous overall. It was an Alderaan game where we won handily. Our team had a combined total of 5 deaths. The enemy healers were killed basically the moment they showed up. The final scoreboard shows their healer healed for 520K, and our top DPS, a smasher, was 570K. The next highest DPS was around the 400K range.

So basically we killed the healer as soon as they showed up and their top healer still only lost to a Smasher who never died in the whole game due to our own overpowered healing. Their healer had no Guard either.

So here our best DPS in a scenario that's fairly unlikely in any serious competition (Smasher going through the whole game without dying) barely beat out a Sage who was just casting Salvation/Healing Trance and was usually promptly killed the moment he showed up only did about 10% more DPS than the HPS of a healer who was constantly dead.

A healer who constantaly died should not have a HPS that's even comparable to a top DPS who never died in the game, and yet this kind of stuff is very common. If the healer had Guard he'd almost surely live long enough to beat the Smasher, even though the game would still be just as lopsided (we had 5 total deaths after all and if they added a tank instead of DPS they'd kill even less of our guys).

A healer's HPS should only be higher than the opposing player's DPS if he is a better player than that DPS. People seems to think rolling a healer means you automatically have to match the opposing top DPS's damage output in HPS because otherwise you're useless. No you don't have some kind of right for that. You should have to be as good as the opposing team's top DPS to pump out enough HPS to match his DPS. A bad healer should be as useless as a bad DPS. Right now even a bad healer can often come close to matching a top DPS in HPS and that's just stupid.

I was typing out a long winded, factual post about how HPS should be higher than DPS. I thought about it, and found that even with an overbearing amount of logic, you would just fold your arms and yell NUH UH I SHOULD BE ABLE TO KILL ANYTHING IN < 5 GCDS! I SAVED THE UNIVERSE DIDN'T YOU KNOW!

Yes, in a game where guard+taunt can effectively reduce damage by 80% + healer CD's HPS should totally be higher than DPS so we can always have these awesome full blown wz matches where the middle objective remains unclaimed the entire time and we can have boring *** stalemates every single match.

I'll tell you what, lockout taunts to tank stance only, reduce guard to 20% and add diminishing returns to cross healing and you can have your high HPS. Until then, there is no logical reason as to why healing should be as brain dead easy as it is right now. My scoundrel isn't even geared for healing and I can sit there and do /laugh as two dpsers beat on me and never get me lower than 60% hp.

HPS should never be higher than DPS. It's meant to help give an advantage to the team, not make the entire team unkillable.

Yes, in a game where guard+taunt can effectively reduce damage by 80% + healer CD's HPS should totally be higher than DPS so we can always have these awesome full blown wz matches where the middle objective remains unclaimed the entire time and we can have boring *** stalemates every single match.

I'll tell you what, lockout taunts to tank stance only, reduce guard to 20% and add diminishing returns to cross healing and you can have your high HPS. Until then, there is no logical reason as to why healing should be as brain dead easy as it is right now. My scoundrel isn't even geared for healing and I can sit there and do /laugh as two dpsers beat on me and never get me lower than 60% hp.

HPS should never be higher than DPS. It's meant to help give an advantage to the team, not make the entire team unkillable.

I always thought it's funny that people talk about rated as some kind of exhilirating experience when they're really talking about some of the most boring game I've played in 4 out of 5 maps.

Let's assume you have a standard 2/2/4 rated composition team, and assume DPS is only assigned for offensive roles and tank/healers are only assigned for defensive roles. Assuming the class composition/skill/everything else is equal. One of those tank is your node guardian and is unlikely to participate. Therefore, your 2 healers + 1 tank should be responsible for the 3 DPS of the other side. Assuming your tank does 40% the damage of their average DPS, setting HPS = DPS, your healers has to heal for (3 - 0.4) / 2 = 1.3X the average DPS done by the enemy side.

But wait, what does it mean if HPS = DPS? That means your guys are at 100% the whole time and that can hardly be called an even match despite we made the assumption all these guys are identical in every aspect. So 1.3X is the maximum the healer could possibly heal for. They should heal for less than that. And you'll notice that we didn't account for the 4th DPS. He's the wild card as he'd be attempting to do stuff that shortens the healer's lifespan, thus decreasing the HPS he does. And until 2.0, this model mostly works. The DPS that you cannot account for (since your 2nd tank generally can't just abandon the node to help) has a chance to reduce the healer's effectiveness to below 1 DPS. Whether he succeeds is a matter of his skill versus the healer's skill, and this mostly works.

Of course now it is trivial for a healer to heal 1.3X the DPS of the top DPS. No, heailng doesn't win you games by itself, but not dying is a very good place to start toward winning the game. One of the poster pointed out correctly that premades are currently hiding behind overloading heals, figuring that if they don't die, they'd eventually be able to figure something out to win. Not only does this suck when you lose to it, it sucks even when you beat them because you end up having to play the same game. Healing is simply too strong that nobody would attempt to just overpower 3 healers, so you get your own 3 healers, and then you hope that your guys click on the objectives faster than the other side while nobody is dying. Even if you win, it's a huge waste of time and it's one of the few events in this game I'd advocate quiting, even if you're on the winning side!

A couple weeks ago I was in a Civil War, 4 DPS on 2 healers, took us about 5 minutes to kill them, because they were running and healing, etc. When we focused on one healer, the other one just started healing. When one of us broke off to hit that healer, interrupt, he'd run away, heal up then come back. Yeah, we took them down, and yeah we won the warzone, but it was still annoying that 3 DPS and a tank (Me) couldn't beat 2 healers for 5 minutes.

I don't really have a strong opinion though on healers. Yes, they are important, but I've won warzones before with no healers, and not just Huttball. I've even won warzones where the entire other team was composed of nothing but healers.

Edited by Philbert

A couple weeks ago I was in a Civil War, 4 DPS on 2 healers, took us about 5 minutes to kill them, because they were running and healing, etc. When we focused on one healer, the other one just started healing. When one of us broke off to hit that healer, interrupt, he'd run away, heal up then come back. Yeah, we took them down, and yeah we won the warzone, but it was still annoying that 3 DPS and a tank (Me) couldn't beat 2 healers for 5 minutes.

I don't really have a strong opinion though on healers. Yes, they are important, but I've won warzones before with no healers, and not just Huttball. I've even won warzones where the entire other team was composed of nothing but healers.

Of course they're still beatable and it's not like it takes a long time for people to figure out heals are overpowered and respecing or leveling up healers. The problem is that I can't imagine anyone consider a situation you described above as very fun, and they're becoming more and more common as people figured out that healing is overpowered. Even PUGs it's not unusual to see 3 healers now just because so many people are rerolling/respecing as healers. Sure, someone still has to win but heavy heal versus heavy heal is just about the most painful way to win a game.

Healing should not be so overpowered that the ONLY thing a healer has to do is run away with a HOT on themselves and live indefinitely, which is currently the case.

Couldn't agree more.

What I hate is people who say a tank or DPS should NEVER be able to beat a healer 1v1.

Because, you know, the Navy Seal should NEVER be able to beat the trauma nurse in a straight-up fight.

I suspect heals might be silghtly weak (at least for non Ops) at the end of 2.0 in light of the 8s or even 6s interrupt classes because prior to 2.0, if you can shut down a healer's big heals their contribution is generally less than 1 equivalent DPS. You can talk about CCs and whatnot but a 6s CD interrupt class can interrupt twice the heals compared to the standard 12s CD interrupt class and that's very hard for healers to handle. Rather than standardizing interupts to just 12s for everyone, Bioware's solution was to give healers ways to avoid interrupt outright or ridiculously fast heals (Sage benefit the most from this).

This is almost verbatim of WoW's PVP balance issues, and the next step would be to give DPS silence abilities since it's going to get to a point where there's nothing to interrupt. But don't worry, in the next cycle healers will get heals that can be cast while silenced, and then DPS will get the silence that really silences them for good, at least until the next cycle.

You all are wrong..... Bolster has fukd everything up. Remove that and things will be fine.

I do have to say that bolster does change something...A buddy of mine who is an OP healer (and equally geared as me) I for the life of me cannot burn down in a warzone, but we have gone out to outlaws den and dueled and while he survives for a bit, I eventually burst him down much faster than I do in a warzone which you would think would be the opposite given the 30% healing debuff put onto players in a warzone. I seem to hit a lot harder outside of warzones.

I suspect heals might be silghtly weak (at least for non Ops) at the end of 2.0 in light of the 8s or even 6s interrupt classes because prior to 2.0, if you can shut down a healer's big heals their contribution is generally less than 1 equivalent DPS. You can talk about CCs and whatnot but a 6s CD interrupt class can interrupt twice the heals compared to the standard 12s CD interrupt class and that's very hard for healers to handle. Rather than standardizing interupts to just 12s for everyone, Bioware's solution was to give healers ways to avoid interrupt outright or ridiculously fast heals (Sage benefit the most from this).

This is almost verbatim of WoW's PVP balance issues, and the next step would be to give DPS silence abilities since it's going to get to a point where there's nothing to interrupt. But don't worry, in the next cycle healers will get heals that can be cast while silenced, and then DPS will get the silence that really silences them for good, at least until the next cycle.

What they need is more classes that can apply a healing debuff. I believe sentinel and sniper are the only two that have abilities like that.

I do have to say that bolster does change something...A buddy of mine who is an OP healer (and equally geared as me) I for the life of me cannot burn down in a warzone, but we have gone out to outlaws den and dueled and while he survives for a bit, I eventually burst him down much faster than I do in a warzone which you would think would be the opposite given the 30% healing debuff put onto players in a warzone. I seem to hit a lot harder outside of warzones.

Isn't trauma placed on you for being in PvP combat, so you'd still get it in outlaw's den? Whenever I go out of combat I can see the trauma buff fading, and if you start healing at that time on yourself you'll see that your heals are no longer subject to the trauma penalty. Of course you can't heal anyone who is fighting anyone else without getting trauma again, so it's of minimal use.

Adding more healing debuff isn't the right answer. You'd end up exactly like WoW where half of the classes have a healing debuff because it'd be absolutely impossible to kill a healer otherwise. And if half of the classes have a healing debuff, you should simply roll that amount into the general trauma penalty.

Isn't trauma placed on you for being in PvP combat, so you'd still get it in outlaw's den? Whenever I go out of combat I can see the trauma buff fading, and if you start healing at that time on yourself you'll see that your heals are no longer subject to the trauma penalty. Of course you can't heal anyone who is fighting anyone else without getting trauma again, so it's of minimal use.

Adding more healing debuff isn't the right answer. You'd end up exactly like WoW where half of the classes have a healing debuff because it'd be absolutely impossible to kill a healer otherwise. And if half of the classes have a healing debuff, you should simply roll that amount into the general trauma penalty.

I don't think trauma is applied outside of warzones. I've never bothered to look though but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I'll check the next time I'm out there though.

Healing should not be so overpowered that the ONLY thing a healer has to do is run away with a HOT on themselves and live indefinitely, which is currently the case.

what a rubbish!

if you cant outdamage 2,2k of healing done by the strongest hot IG coming from ops/scound every three seconds you are not even worth to be called DD.

Edited by Tankqull

I truely hope you all get your wish.. I hope they nerf healing into the ground.. One of my own guildies in frustration even mentioned 50% trauma debuff..

When healing gives nothing but negative returns to the dps that is being put out.. healers will become a liability rather than an important part to a team. Playing a healer is fun however at the same time playing a healer takes tough wills.. As a healer you are focused by everyone on the other side all the time.. basically Public Enemy #1. You have to fend off attacks.. find the right position.. and keep your team alive.. or save someone in jeopardy. If you die.. they die.. If you focus on only healing yourself they die.. All the while Watching nodes etc...

Now when i said a healer must cover the damage of at least 2 dps and 1 tank one of my fellow gamers protested..

Now I don't mean that everyone should be at 100% health at all times because the healer is going to out heal all that damage.

I mean in a perfect world the game.. most times there are 2 healers 2 tanks 4 dps.. Those 2 healers are responsible for keeping people alive vs the 2 tanks and 4 dps.. That does not mean that their heals will out do the damage dealt, it means that including those players Defensive cooldowns.. personal heals.. Positioning , Those heals will help subsidize the damage being dealt to them. This will allow them to either kill the opposing player or escape to safety to try again.

When i play Dps i personally have no problems taking them down.. Too many people are playing tanks and not true dps is the real problem right now..

Like i said i hope you all get your wish.. I would love to just tunnel and DPS non stop, not having to worry about CC'ing or focusing a healer.. because their heals will be so far behind the dps.. that they wont even matter..

Edited by prodigyqnz

I truely hope you all get your wish.. I hope they nerf healing into the ground.. One of my own guildies in frustration even mentioned 50% trauma debuff..

When healing gives nothing but negative returns to the dps that is being put out.. healers will become a liability rather than an important part to a team. Playing a healer is fun however at the same time playing a healer takes tough wills.. As a healer you are focused by everyone on the other side all the time.. basically Public Enemy #1. You have to fend off attacks.. find the right position.. and keep your team alive.. or save someone in jeopardy. If you die.. they die.. If you focus on only healing yourself they die.. All the while Watching nodes etc...

Now when i said a healer must cover the damage of at least 2 dps and 1 tank one of my fellow gamers protested..

Now I don't mean that everyone should be at 100% health at all times because the healer is going to out heal all that damage.

I mean in a perfect world the game.. most times there are 2 healers 2 tanks 4 dps.. Those 2 healers are responsible for keeping people alive vs the 2 tanks and 4 dps.. That does not mean that their heals will out do the damage dealt, it means that including those players Defensive cooldowns.. personal heals.. Positioning , Those heals will help subsidize the damage being dealt to them. This will allow them to either kill the opposing player or escape to safety to try again.

When i play Dps i personally have no problems taking them down.. Too many people are playing tanks and not true dps is the real problem right now..

Like i said i hope you all get your wish.. I would love to just tunnel and DPS non stop, not having to worry about CC'ing or focusing a healer.. because their heals will be so far behind the dps.. that they wont even matter..

All I see here is "Healers must be gods else they are useless." Toning them down will not make them useless as they still have their place in the game and give an advantage in a fight. Currently between cross healing and guards, 2 healers can keep an entire team up forever. It's boring, to play that turtle style match and it's boring to fight against it.

If you want to keep healing as ridiculously OP as it is right now then guard needs to be nerfed down to 25%. With taunts up it would bring it up to 50%. Either guard needs to be nerfed or healing does because right now the combination is way too strong. Or if you insist on leaving everything as is, then cross healing needs to have diminishing returns.

Edited by Raansu

All I see here is "Healers must be gods else they are useless." Toning them down will not make them useless as they still have their place in the game and give an advantage in a fight. Currently between cross healing and guards, 2 healers can keep an entire team up forever. It's boring, to play that turtle style match and it's boring to fight against it.

If you want to keep healing as ridiculously OP as it is right now then guard needs to be nerfed down to 25%. With taunts up it would bring it up to 50%. Either guard needs to be nerfed or healing does because right now the combination is way too strong. Or if you insist on leaving everything as is, then cross healing needs to have diminishing returns.

Eyes wide shut.. you clearly read nothing..

You are basing your complaints for healers on other classes .. This is why there are always balance issues.. basing how a class should be changed based on another class.. You need to base it on the Class itself and nothing more.. Healers are overpowered because of guard.. Maybe its not healinig thats overpowered but tanks..?

Or neither.. I could heal indefinitely before 2.0 not because healing is overpowered but because i know what i am doing.. Anyone who knows me on my server (PoT5) knows i play all classes.. So I am certainly No advocate for just healing.. I am an advocate for not breaking game play.. If you played healer at all you would certainly know they are not gods now.. and never have been.. You can go and say "but i do play healer" but the fact that you said that clearly shows you would be lying.. As i said I hope heals do get nerfed.. It takes the game being broken for people to realize what they lost..

Final post on this topic i think I have covered all my points..

let the flames continue.

Edited by prodigyqnz