Character Name Purge with Folks not Playing Anymore

goldhtown

I agree. Sure, people can be gone for legit reasons. You know what though? I wasn't gone, at all, and had a forced name change anyway. On all eight toons. Even getting one of those names back would be nice.

This. I'd be thrilled with freeing up all names that have been "absent" for 90+ days.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I don't want for any names. I have my names.

How nice for you :rolleyes:

Mergers were not a name purge, dude. Mergers forced several characters with the same names onto servers where those who had the same names were forced to rename. That's not the same thing as creating software specifically to spider through the game files and purge names from unused characters.

During the merges they claimed they used some kind of algorithm to determine which characters kept the names and which didn't (though they never publicly listed what the criteria specifics were). All I'm asking for is the same here because there is a precedent for it

:uncool:

Mergers were not a name purge, dude. Mergers forced several characters with the same names onto servers where those who had the same names were forced to rename. That's not the same thing as creating software specifically to spider through the game files and purge names from unused characters.

:cool:

and yet it creates the exact same situation as if it were software created to do that...either way your screwing people over...

So why should someone that's no longer playing (hasn't logged in in over 6 months) be able to keep a name while someone who has been playing since launch be forced to change theirs because they were unfortunate enough to be ASSIGNED BY BIOWARE to a server that was low pop? Doesn't seem right does it?

Besides, you already said you have your names and don't have a reason to change names so how in the world does this effect you in any way?

I do not agree. People can be gone from the game for a lot of reasons (like military duty as one relevant example). People can be out of touch with the email address their account is tied to. Wiping character names so you can perhaps maybe possibly get your favorite name is inappropriate and selfish.

There is plenty of flexibility in naming in this game, so there are still plenty of names. It would be nice if it was as flexible as GW2, but it's not.. so we have what we have. Work with it IMO.

I don't think they should wipe names; however, I think they should set a priority point WRT length of time inactive.

They did it during the last server merge. Name priority was based on something other than "they already have that name on this server". It was based at least in part on account activity and length of name ownership regardless of server.

I would like to see some breaking point in inactivity for the account. Say if the account has been inactive 6 months and someone wants a name associated with it, they can get that name. Or maybe it's 9 months. Or 12. Whatever.

But at some point, unused names need to be opened back up.

I'm not asking for character deletions; just forced name changes for long inactive accounts.

It's more obscure than Dragon Ball Z, isn't it?

Depends on the audience. Watership Down has never been out of print and is one of the best selling novels of all time.

If I were getting killed by a Jedi named Hyzenthlay I would know where that name came from. The only name I know from dragonballz is Goku. That's right, right?

During the merges they claimed they used some kind of algorithm to determine which characters kept the names and which didn't (though they never publicly listed what the criteria specifics were).

I really have to wonder about those criteria. I created a Jedi character named "Yadira" (named after the twi'lek boss fight chick from Black Talon) and basically went to the mailbox on Tython. You know, the very first mailbox in the very first area. That's all I did. So game time played was like a minute and a half.

And yet, I kept the name when the server merged with the mega server, and I know for a fact that that name was taken on all of the other servers that merged with mine.

If this were only for, say characters below level 10 or something, I would agree. But for anything else, no thanks :)

I can think of 3 friends who stopped playing like February of last year, never want to play again, and have characters between 20 - 40, one actually has a 50 :eek:. So no one else can use those names because of this. Awesome. :rolleyes:

add me to the "no" on this.

there's plenty of ways to get a similar name..with alt-character... a ' or - in the name..etc

I've been using the SAME name for my main for literally 22 years...if it's not available? I do one of the above.

actually my user name here "Suromir" came about taking my 22 year old name and altering it.

so no they shouldn't do this. For more than the reason I've listed.

My issue with the naming policy is definitely a personal one.

That being said, I just don't see any justification for me not to be able to get the name everyone I know, knows me by! Call it selfish if you want, but if you've had a name as long as I have had this one, I can't imagine you not being extremely upset about not being able to use it due to a stupid server merge.

Sorry for hacking the post apart -- but these are the parts I'm "responding" to.

I AGREE COMPLETELY! I HATE when people in-game use my real name. Everyone knows me as Kilora. That's been my name for over 6 years when playing online. I respond to it. I love it. I have a history with it.

I'm lucky enough to have that name, but had to change most of my others. But, in all honesty, I'd probably abandon my character if I was forced to rename. That being said -- if I left the game for 9+ months, I wouldn't be mad to come back and have to change my name.

Kinda what happened with me and server merges, though >.<

I'm lucky enough to have that name, but had to change most of my others. But, in all honesty, I'd probably abandon my character if I was forced to rename. That being said -- if I left the game for 9+ months, I wouldn't be mad to come back and have to change my name.

Kinda what happened with me and server merges, though >.<

Glad to see someone has common sense. I agree to this. I would not be mad if I returned to a game I hadn't played for 6+ months and find I had to rename. I might be a little disappointed, but I'd recognize that I forfeited my claim to it and move on.

Glad to see someone has common sense. I agree to this. I would not be mad if I returned to a game I hadn't played for 6+ months and find I had to rename. I might be a little disappointed, but I'd recognize that I forfeited my claim to it and move on.

Yeah, I would be able to deal with having to change my name. I mean, I wasn't using it and someone else wanted it. There should be a grace period, but if you're gone long enough and someone else wants your name, they should be able to get it.

I agree that there needs to be a procedure for returning names back to the pool.

I've had no problem with any of my names, thankfully, but I do not think it's fair for other names to be sitting inactive forever. Put something in the EULA about it like "inactive accounts will be 'archived' after 6 months with character names being made available to active/new users". When I say "archived", they can store your entire character and Legacy on their servers and if you ever come back you get everything as it was with perhaps a name change yourself cuz you lost yours due to inactivity.

At the 6-month point you'd get 3 emails, one per week, warning you and giving you a chance to maintain your activity by either clicking a link (in case you're unable to play but still have Internet access) or actually logging into the game. But if you don't respond then it's clear you either don't play anymore or you don't even have Internet access.

Depends on the audience. Watership Down has never been out of print and is one of the best selling novels of all time.

If I were getting killed by a Jedi named Hyzenthlay I would know where that name came from. The only name I know from dragonballz is Goku. That's right, right?

I guess if the audience is over 30...

Also, think of it from Bioware's perspective. Either way someoone's gonna get pissed off. If they don't allow renames to get idle names lost in merges, then those people will be pissed. If they do allow idle names to be repurposed then when those people come back they might be pissed. Who would you rather piss off, the people that have been playing since the merges that were like what a year ago now, or people that haven't played for 6 months and might not ever come back. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Don't bit the hand that feeds you.

There is plenty of flexibility in naming in this game, so there are still plenty of names. Work with it IMO.

There is absolutely NO flexibility in naming in this game, how could you possibly think that there is?

If there was ANY flexibility in naming, half of us wouldn't have had to rename all of our characters TWICE.

If there was ANY flexibility, we wouldn't have names so filled with accented characters it's next to impossible to whisper someone, /ginvite, etc.....

"Work with it" is your answer to everything, you know Bioware ASKS for our feedback. They started asking for it AFTER they lost literally 1-million customers when the game first launched. They learned the hard way what the "they'll work with it" attitude gets them. If you want this game to survive, that's the attitude that needs to change.

Also, think of it from Bioware's perspective. Either way someoone's gonna get pissed off. If they don't allow renames to get idle names lost in merges, then those people will be pissed. If they do allow idle names to be repurposed then when those people come back they might be pissed. Who would you rather piss off, the people that have been playing since the merges that were like what a year ago now, or people that haven't played for 6 months and might not ever come back. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Don't bit the hand that feeds you.

I think you're overestimating the number of names that you want that would actually be purged. I mean really, they could do this and your name of choice could still be unavailable and you would still be pissed.

I think you're overestimating the number of names that you want that would actually be purged. I mean really, they could do this and your name of choice could still be unavailable and you would still be pissed.

If someone beat me to a name that I wanted and they're still active or have recently been active, good on them! They can keep the name and I'll be all the happier that a player is still active.

No i wouldn't. I fully recognize that's a possibility and if the devs allowed reclaiming name, but mine old one was still active then I would be disappointed, but glad that the devs tried to make it right. The issue isn't that I'm mad someone has my name, I'm mad that it's possible (if not likely) that the name is completely unused by anyone when I'm dying to use it. That's wasteful and stupid.

Since the introduction of FTP, there is no hope of character names ever being "freed up" for reuse.

There are too many problems to tame in that circus. I know a US Marine deployed to Afghanistan that plays SWTOR. "Um, sorry you have not been playing the last few months, so we are taking your name." I don't think so.

I took the day off a launch. Rolled two characters and named them. Then server merges caused me to loose the

names of 5 of my 6 level 50's. I was well above "ANGRY." I later found that someone took the name of one of my

toons to roll a mule (to forever remain at level 2.)

But, it's just a game. I got over it. There are more important issues to put one's attention towards.

I think it's great that we're finally seeing free character name changes in the upcoming patch, however, many names are sitting in limbo or "squatted" by people no longer playing for months now.

Bioware, i would really hope you'd begin some sort of process to whittle out names from people not playing the game anymore.

If you agree with this approach, your post would be appreciated to give attention to this concern.

There are way too many players with a level one placeholder keeping names from being used. It's annoying that so many of the these level 1 placeholders exist.

I think every level 1-9 character that hasn't be logged in the last 2 months should be fair game.

And that every level 10-55 character that hasn't been logged in the last 6 months should be fair game as well. Let's put an end to the placeholders!

If someone beat me to a name that I wanted and they're still active or have recently been active, good on them! They can keep the name and I'll be all the happier that a player is still active.

But how would you know? You can't just assume a player is inactive because you haven't seen that character name online. What if that player doesn't play during the same hours as you? What if that character name is taken by someone's alt? You can't assume that because you added a name to your friend's list and you have never seen them log in when you were online that that player is inactive and therefor his name should be purged.

Really, with what you guys are saying, BioWare could do this and you would all be happy regardless of whether you actually got your name back or not? Sorry, but I have to call BS on that. Nothing will make you happy short of them specifically freeing up the names you want and and you getting them before anyone else, which would be unlikely even if they did do a name purge.

I do not agree. People can be gone from the game for a lot of reasons (like military duty as one relevant example). People can be out of touch with the email address their account is tied to. Wiping character names so you can perhaps maybe possibly get your favorite name is inappropriate and selfish.

There is plenty of flexibility in naming in this game, so there are still plenty of names. It would be nice if it was as flexible as GW2, but it's not.. so we have what we have. Work with it IMO.

maybe but let's face it if the guy is level 12 and hasn't logged in since launch he's proably not coming back