Character Name Purge with Folks not Playing Anymore

goldhtown

Exactly! Mules, and name placeholders (when someone creates a toon with a specific name on different servers in case of server transfers) are annoying as heck. I think we need to make mules and name placeholder toons up for grabs.

P.S: If someone is banned then their toons are deleted and we can use their name right? I'm just asking because it wouldn't surprise me if banned accounts still make certain names unavailable to the rest of us and it would be nice to get confirmation that this is not the case.

So if I had a level 10 mule or banker character with a name you want, I should lose that name just because I use that character for storage and not OPS?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should note that Arlon_Nabarlly is not saying that he should be entitled to take the other player's name.

He's saying that he shouldn't be entitled to keep his own name if he stopped playing.

It's a subtle difference, but an important one.

:)

Nobody's coming for the name arlon_nabarlly though since it's another gibberish name.

If someone really wants my bank alt "Tehvault" they can have the name.

Seriously though, resetting old character names is never going to be the answer, because they will never do it. So essentially, if you are affected, you need to come up with different ideas, as opposed to bashing your head against a plate steel door, because the door ain't giving.

All indications are that there were NO criteria chosen by in the 2nd round of mergers. The 1st round, they had the "original server guys keep their name" rule, which was massively unfair but at least it was a method. 2nd round seems to have been random number generator deciding if you kept your name, possibly not even intentionally chosen by anyone working at Bioware and feeling more like just some default setting programed in.

NO criteria? Let's go back in time and see what we can find.

Oh, look:

When naming conflicts occur due to the consolidation, players are given priority based on a variety of factors such as character play time and if they have already had to rename their characters as part of the first character transfer program back in June. Please do keep in mind that this does not encompass all of the factors taken into consideration, but those are an example of the major ones.

Those seem like criteria to me. You might not like or agree with those criteria, but there were criteria used to determine who got to keep their names in the second sever merge.

That person who took a break for 2 weeks, 6 months, or even a year forfeited nothing, not his in game credits, or any of the items in his bank or inventory and not his name. The fact that you want the name his character has does NOT entitle you to it, no matter how long it has been since he logged in.

You should note that Arlon_Nabarlly is not saying that he should be entitled to take the other player's name.

He's saying that he shouldn't be entitled to keep his own name if he stopped playing.

It's a subtle difference, but an important one.

:)

The "you" was a generic term and not directed at any individual, but maybe I should have said :

That person who took a break for 2 weeks, 6 months, or even a year forfeited nothing, not his in game credits, or any of the items in his bank or inventory and not his name. The fact that another player wants the name his character has does NOT entitle that other player to it, no matter how long it has been since he logged in.

That person who took a break for 2 weeks, 6 months, or even a year forfeited nothing, not his in game credits, or any of the items in his bank or inventory and not his name. The fact that another player wants the name his character has does NOT entitle that other player to it, no matter how long it has been since he logged in.

This is a fair statement.

But let me ask you this.

The player that created an account 13 months ago, played a toon to level 6-7, then stopped playing the game completely and hasn't returned since. Is he entitled to keep his name? And if so, why?

NO criteria? Let's go back in time and see what we can find.

Oh, look:

Those seem like criteria to me. You might not like or agree with those criteria, but there were criteria used to determine who got to keep their names in the second sever merge.

That can't possibly be true. My guild was ravaged by the 1st merge and the 2nd merge and we are our server's #1 guild. Personally I was at least top 5% of legacy XP on the merged server and only kept 2 of my most random names. They may have considered that to be a possible method for the merge, but it did not get implemented.

Wiping character names so you can perhaps maybe possibly get your favorite name is inappropriate and selfish.

It's more selfish for a player to come back after a year and expect to still have his name intact when they haven't put a dime into the game to keep it afloat. Outstanding conditions or not, they didn't keep the servers running ... people that paid in the worst of times of this game, did. If a name is too much to ask for, I don't know what to tell you, but you'd probably argue anything I write here regardless.

The subs that stayed and kept this game in business should have rights over names they've lost a long the way. The people that kept paying for this game after the mass exodus in 1.2 last April, should get some recognition, and the highest recognition that anyone can receive (good or bad) in an MMO is a Namesake.

There are countless players who lost names to inactive accounts during the server merges. I tested this by trying to make names (that could never be duplicated) of my guildmates that had long left the game and you could NOT make them because they were "in use". The naming system was completely broken when they merged servers... Guild names were also proof of this. It was yet another broken system that did NOT work.

The more appropriate thing to do on Bioware's behalf is to rework their naming system. If they can unlock Legacy titles to be not unique, they probably can do it for a combination of the Main Character name and the Legacy name or have it based off the login name just like they have on these forums.

Until that happens though, I don't see why anyone would ever spend any money on character re-names. Majority of names that don't involve the little dots or ascii codes or putting ' after every name you want to use are gone. If bioware wants to make money of renames, they need to completely overhaul the first name of a character system they have failing for them.

Edited by veyl

In my case I lost my names due to characters on destination server having the names already. I guarantee I beat anyone on playtime on my merc main. I'm kind of famous on my server for my insane /played.

So if I had a level 10 mule or banker character with a name you want, I should lose that name just because I use that character for storage and not OPS?

If someone wanted a name I used on a mule or banker alt, and the name wasn't clearly for a mule or banker alt ("Ibankmats"), I would give it to them.

Why do you care what your mule or banker alt is named enough to keep the name from someone else?

Edited by DarthTHC

Look, the fact of the matter is that many -- not all, but many -- players got screwed because of *FORCED* name-changes and server-transfers. Customer-loyalty was basically exchanged for a coin-toss. There is absolutely zero reason that players who've quit should have their names treated with some kind of respect, because our Early-access names sure as hell weren't.

This is one of the few issues that I feel truly strongly about, and it's in dire need of some kind of fix. The best solution would simply be to make Legacy names unique, and use them as the new "player-name". Leave Character-names as the "Role-playing name" of sorts, freely usable by anybody.

Now I agree, forcing name-changes all over again, or releasing names because you haven't played in forever, certainly isn't the ideal solution. However, is is *A* solution, and is preferably to the garbage we've previously been subjected to.

If nothing else, here's an idea; at some point in the future, they could do a "Mass-renaming event". Make sure they advertise it like a month in advance, and allow each player to simply visit the website to either confirm their wish to keep their existing names, or change character's names to ones that haven't been claimed yet.

Basically, it's one massive, final do-over. No reserves, no favoritism; make it completely about equality. Again, not an ideal solution, but at least it's more fair than what's currently been done to us.

I still think the best solution is to simply identify players by singular, server-wide Legacy names, though. But clearly, *something* needs to be done.

Look, the fact of the matter is that many -- not all, but many -- players got screwed because of *FORCED* name-changes and server-transfers. Customer-loyalty was basically exchanged for a coin-toss. There is absolutely zero reason that players who've quit should have their names treated with some kind of respect, because our Early-access names sure as hell weren't.

This is one of the few issues that I feel truly strongly about, and it's in dire need of some kind of fix. The best solution would simply be to make Legacy names unique, and use them as the new "player-name". Leave Character-names as the "Role-playing name" of sorts, freely usable by anybody.

Now I agree, forcing name-changes all over again, or releasing names because you haven't played in forever, certainly isn't the ideal solution. However, is is *A* solution, and is preferably to the garbage we've previously been subjected to.

If nothing else, here's an idea; at some point in the future, they could do a "Mass-renaming event". Make sure they advertise it like a month in advance, and allow each player to simply visit the website to either confirm their wish to keep their existing names, or change character's names to ones that haven't been claimed yet.

Basically, it's one massive, final do-over. No reserves, no favoritism; make it completely about equality. Again, not an ideal solution, but at least it's more fair than what's currently been done to us.

I still think the best solution is to simply identify players by singular, server-wide Legacy names, though. But clearly, *something* needs to be done.

Well said, I agree completely. Something must be done. Even months after the forced name changes (and the silly double-sided rules used to dictate which account got to keep a name during the two mergers) I am still upset over this, and I think about this issue every time I log into my main character with its implanted '.

On my server, the level 11 toon with my name canceled his subscription BEFORE the mergers, yet got to keep the name. During F2P he logged in the first week and has not be on since. Yet I and many like me are still paying for BioWare's total screw up. Why did I buy the CE that first night it was announced again? Oh that's right so I could be slapped in the face 6 months after launch. "sucker"

Let me regale you a tale...

For five years, I played Everquest under the name Sharkbite. Eventually I got bored and quit. When the game went FTP, I went back to poke around in there just for nostalgia sake. Imagine my horror to find that my character's name had been taken from my by somebody else, and now I was renamed Sharkbitexx. *gasp*

I was hurt. I was offended. After all the time I put in... after all the money I'd paid... after all, the word does revolve around me, right?

Then I realized that type of attitude belongs with a four year old who refuses to share his toys. I had not used that character in eight years. Like my son with some of his old Ninja Turtles, or my daughter with her Barbie's, there comes a point when it's clear based upon our own behavior that it is no longer important to us. I wasn't playing ol' Sharky any more, but for some other kid out there, this character still meant something. All the fun and excitement that I had playing him for those years, now somebody else was still enjoying him. The idea that my Enchanter from a decade past was now living on as a Tank or Rogue or something, still striking fear into the monsters of Norrath, that made me happy.

If you're not using it and somebody else would, then it's time to share our toys.

Other FTP games actually wipe accounts and delete characters are periods of extended inactivity. Telling a player that failure to log in for 1 year will result in the vacating of their name is not at all unreasonable. Bioware will do better to take care of the customers that they definately have, rather than stressing about the customers that could possibly return.

I think it's great that we're finally seeing free character name changes in the upcoming patch, however, many names are sitting in limbo or "squatted" by people no longer playing for months now.

Bioware, i would really hope you'd begin some sort of process to whittle out names from people not playing the game anymore. I know you want them back, and might be afraid they'll say, "forget this, i'm done since they took my name", but you guys could easily deal with satisfying both concerns like other games in the past have done.

Simply send out an email reminding people who haven't been playing for like 60 days or more how awesome the game is, and that if they don't log into their account to confirm they want it still, they'll lose their current character names and have to reset them if they ever return. DONE, SIMPLE.

Not only does it clear out names for those who actually DO want to keep playing the game, but it's a firm nudge to people sitting out playing that maybe they should come back.

If you agree with this approach, your post would be appreciated to give attention to this concern.

I completely agree. It couldn't be simpler. This would be the easy way of going about it. The proper way of doing things would be to implement a whole new naming policy. They should make legacy names unique rather than character names, or allow long names with spaces. GW2 had it right.

I noticed someone talking about how there are still room for making new and creative names or somesuch... yeah, that's about the dumbest post in this whole thread. There are so many stupid names floating around these days, and some of them are impossible to spell, like Nïncømpòòp. Names like that makes the game look stupid rather than epic. I don't mind silly names, I mind stupid L33T and gibberish names. The current naming policy was never intended for a superserver population and something needs to be done about it.

I see people whining about how there might be legitimate reasons for being away for a long time. I really don't care. If you're not subscribing and you haven't set foot in the game for 6-12 months, yeah.. it's time to let them go, whatever the reason. We're here, they're not! I've been actively playing this game since the beta and early access, I preordered the collector's edition, and I still lost all my names through the server merges. I'd like to get a chance to get some of those names back. Better yet, new naming policy and everybody's happy.

I think it's great that we're finally seeing free character name changes in the upcoming patch, however, many names are sitting in limbo or "squatted" by people no longer playing for months now.

Bioware, i would really hope you'd begin some sort of process to whittle out names from people not playing the game anymore. I know you want them back, and might be afraid they'll say, "forget this, i'm done since they took my name", but you guys could easily deal with satisfying both concerns like other games in the past have done.

Simply send out an email reminding people who haven't been playing for like 60 days or more how awesome the game is, and that if they don't log into their account to confirm they want it still, they'll lose their current character names and have to reset them if they ever return. DONE, SIMPLE.

Not only does it clear out names for those who actually DO want to keep playing the game, but it's a firm nudge to people sitting out playing that maybe they should come back.

If you agree with this approach, your post would be appreciated to give attention to this concern.

I have not played this game in over a month now. However I am STILL paying my subscription fee because I may log in at some point to play again. I do NOT want to log in and find my name has been changed without my authorization. I still pay for the game even if I do not play it all that much, and do not see any reason why I should change my name, considering I have already had to do it once before when the servers merged. If I have to change my name once again because of this suggestion you have made, I will cancel my subscription and pay no more money for cartel coins ever again. Oh and if anyone asks my opinion of this game I will have to be honest and that could be a bad thing for EAware.

That can't possibly be true. My guild was ravaged by the 1st merge and the 2nd merge and we are our server's #1 guild. Personally I was at least top 5% of legacy XP on the merged server and only kept 2 of my most random names. They may have considered that to be a possible method for the merge, but it did not get implemented.

So, because some people had to change names in both server merges, they are liars?

I can tell you that not one of my characters that had to change names in the first merger lost their names in the second.

If someone wanted a name I used on a mule or banker alt, and the name wasn't clearly for a mule or banker alt ("Ibankmats"), I would give it to them.

Why do you care what your mule or banker alt is named enough to keep the name from someone else?

Let me get this straight. In one situation, people want to claim that a name is so important that they no longer even play a character who has had to change names, yet people want to take the names of characters that other players who's accounts are still active and being played, using the excuse of "it's only a mule, why do you care about the name"? Why do some people feel that it is ok for one player to get so attached to name that they would abandon that character, yet disregard the fact that others might be equally attached to their character's names, even if they only use them for as a banker or mule.

As stated many times in this thread already (which I don't even have to read to know they're there), never happen and for good reason: BWEA want people who played and then stopped to know that if they come back, their characters will still be there waiting for them. There's no naming problem in any event. If you can't come up with a decent name, you need some fish oil to aid in your brain's development.

Edited by branmakmuffin

This is a fair statement.

But let me ask you this.

The player that created an account 13 months ago, played a toon to level 6-7, then stopped playing the game completely and hasn't returned since. Is he entitled to keep his name? And if so, why?

Unfortunately, yes they are, in my opinion. That is the name they chose and were permitted to keep. If that character was not deleted and still exists, even if not played, then the name belongs to that character. It stinks for those that want that name, though, I agree.

I have characters that I would like to rename back to their original names, but cannot because the name is unavailable, as well. That does not give me the right to ask that another player be forced to change the names of any of their characters, even if that character is only a banker or mule, or has not been played in 9 months.

I wouldn't complain if I didn't log in for months and then had to rename my characters because someone wanted their names. I don't think it should be an automatic purge, but you should be able to request a name, in my opinion. (This is all purely theoretical for me - I wasn't around for the server merges and am perfectly happy with the names I have.)

I came up with the names myself and I'm quite fond of some of them, but I don't think I should be allowed to keep them indefinitely if someone else wants them enough to request them and I haven't shown interest in the game in months. (I wouldn't want to lose the names to someone just randomly throwing letters together to get on with it, hence why I'd suggest a request system and not an automatic purge.)

Edited by Lung_Tien_Lien

Unfortunately, yes they are, in my opinion. That is the name they chose and were permitted to keep. If that character was not deleted and still exists, even if not played, then the name belongs to that character. It stinks for those that want that name, though, I agree.

I have characters that I would like to rename back to their original names, but cannot because the name is unavailable, as well. That does not give me the right to ask that another player be forced to change the names of any of their characters, even if that character is only a banker or mule, or has not been played in 9 months.

How long do you let that go, though?

I have characters still on Asheron's Call and Lord of the Rings Online and I'll never play those games again. If someone wants the names from those characters, why shouldn't they get them? It certainly does no harm to me. And it might make them happier.

How long do you let that go, though?

Until you delete the character. It's not up to Bioware to decide when you've "not played enough" to meet their standards. If someone took the name you want then either you should have picked it earlier or you can damn well make up a new one.