Character Name Purge with Folks not Playing Anymore

goldhtown

I have characters on other mmos that I leave for a year or so before coming back when there is new content to do on them. If I came back and found my name was reset I wouldn't be happy.

Yes, it sucks that there are people that hog names with level 1 characters and never use them but they got there first, they deserve the right to use the name they claimed themselves however they want.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reading threads like this one. I have a couple of questions. Not challenges to viewpoints. Questions to help clarify the situation for me. :confused:

What's happening is that some people want names that are not available and are trying to justify taking the name they want from the person who currently holds that name. Nothing more, nothing less.

Okay. The answer to one of my questions in my previous post is that there is no way for one player to monitor when another player logs on to the game, unless they are on one's Friends list, and both individuals are logged on to the game at the same time.

A suggested purge of names for (insert definition of) inactive players would free up some names. Yet, even if there were such a system of name purges, the names would be taken by whoever first happened to be naming, or renaming, a character once the name became available again.

At least some of those who posted in support of name purges allow for the (insert definition of) inactive player using a particular character name a chance to "renew their claim" on the name, in some fashion. If someone does not "renew their claim" on the name, the name would be taken by whomever first happens to be naming, or renaming, a character once the name became available again.

I understand being disappointed when a desired character name is not available. Someone naming, or renaming, a character has to decide on a name that is not currently assigned to another character, and accept that a particular name may not be available. Instituting a character name purge system would have the end result being the same as now -- character names are unique, and available to only one character at a time.

Edited by Nmyownworld

LOL how would they lose customers? Most of these "customers" are most likely already lost because they don't play the game.

A lot of MMOs do this. BW just handled names very poorly due to rookie management back after launch, making a ton of new servers, only to consolidate them all... TWICE. Now server transfers are back.

If BioWare started name purges, I know a lot of currently subscribed and active players would support it. They'd have a chance at least of getting one of their cherished names back.

Really because from what I have read about 50-60% of the posters are against the idea. And the point people make is a good one, a lot of people have to leave for good reason but plan to return. Tell me, what if you had to drop your sub for afew months because you suddenly had to take a new expensive prescription. Then when you return the name, that apparently means more to you then anything in the world (kinda sad), is gone because you happen to not be around. You wouldn't be happy,

Also, what if you don't get your cherished name back? What if someone else beat you to it? Would you now beg for a purge on all names until you get one you like back?

How about following your own selfish tendencies and impulses you sit down and let it go. I mean really does a name matter that much? It's just a label that you don't even go by, as I said before I think, your agent, or my lord, or captain.

Edited by Tfranco

Really because from what I have read about 50-60% of the posters are against the idea. And the point people make is a good one, a lot of people have to leave for good reason but plan to return. Tell me, what if you had to drop your sub for afew months because you suddenly had to take a new expensive prescription. Then when you return the name, that apparently means more to you then anything in the world (kinda sad), is gone because you happen to not be around. You wouldn't be happy,

Also, what if you don't get your cherished name back? What if someone else beat you to it? Would you now beg for a purge on all names until you get one you like back?

How about following your own selfish tendencies and impulses you sit down and let it go. I mean really does a name matter that much? It's just a label that you don't even go by, as I said before I think, your agent, or my lord, or captain.

You're telling me a "what if", which doesn't apply to me because I know I'm still gonna be playing the game for a long time. If something happens, however, I'm not sure what would happen, to be honest. Gaming and internet revolve around my life, so I know I'd make sure to never be inactive in the games I play for an extended period of time.

And 50–60% are against it? Some people are open to it, some people are open to alternatives related to name purges, and then there are those that are against it. All parties seem to be evened out, but I think most people are open to a name purge (or a similar system), with the parties in agreement providing names of other games that do this.