Is this the most casual friendly MMO of all time?

sanzuu

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

And good means above average. Being good doesn't mean you're meeting requirements, it means you're exceeding them, and that by definition cannot be a measure of what's necessary to accomplish.

Is that your attitude to all of life? How sad.

I think it is.

I've never seen a game, or community so hostile to 'hardcore' PvE/PvP players in my entire life. This may as well be the Bejeweled forums.

Did Bioware design this game with the intention to keep serious players out? The game doesn't even have a combat log, it doesn't have addon support, it has released a few days from 2012 with no ranked PvP system. How is that acceptable? Do BW have any idea how big the 'e-sport' market is for MMO's?

I could go on, and on, but it seems this game is very unfriendly towards players who want to play competitively/with skill.

Why keep out such a large potential userbase? I suspect its because of the IP monster that is Star Wars. Such a huge brand is going to bring people to this game that have never even played MMO's before, whereas games like Rift, GW2, etc. know what type of gamer they are getting and cater to them. Adding some sort of challenge in the game would only be a blow to the many potential subs they could get, and keeping out the hardcore players and keeping the scrubs happy has probably been determined as the best way to make that dollar.

You will not find EJ/AJ/WCM type communities for this game, there is no depth to this game.

What others said, not too many MMOs have launched with what you're asking and as a non-casual player (my wife and gf log 30 hours a week in MMOs) we're not all that interested in PVP combat and glad they didnt waist time at launch for things that have nothing to do with the RPG experience.

It seems every thread there are people who say either the game is like wow or the game is not enough like wow. I for one am glad to see a game just divert. I hope these same folk don't play guild wars 2, they are going to flip out.

If this is what MMO Veteran's are, i don't want them in my MMORPG. Like others have said, they have ruined hte genre. They have pushed every game to be carbon copies of others. If it doesnt have all this stuff its not an mmo. Well adios. I am not the only one in saying that not only will i pay subscription rates for a non-traditional mmo, i would pay 2 or 3 times hte amount of it means allowing game companies to finally let this genre grow up.

Edited by dontadow

What others said, not too many MMOs have launched with what you're asking and as a non-casual player (my wife and gf log 30 hours a week in MMOs) we're not all that interested in PVP combat and glad they didnt waist time at launch for things that have nothing to do with the RPG experience.

It seems every thread there are people who say either the game is like wow or the game is not enough like wow. I for one am glad to see a game just divert. I hope these same folk don't play guild wars 2, they are going to flip out.

Guild Wars 2 already looks more promising for players interested in PvP. Even in the beta there is vastly more PvP options and catering towards competitive play.

(see - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=440171)

If you don't like 'those folk' then I would suggest staying well away from GW2...

Is that your attitude to all of life? How sad.

As a matter of fact it is. You strive to achieve something; failing it causes you grief, succeeding in it grants you satisfaction, and exceeding your expectations gives you joy. I don't see the problem with that.

a) Yes it did.

b) Yes it did, though it had no battlegrounds at launch.

Exactly. Some of these who talk about WoW was not around at launch. TOR is very casual player friendly. But that is a good thing. Those who want more can allways go back to WoW and do heroic mode raids or wait until they get to max level and do Nightmare Operations in TOR. Or try some heroic 4 mans with only one other person or solo a 2 man heroic. I donot understand how some of these expect Bioware to create a game which would only appeal to a small minority of hardcore players.

OP in "OMG brand new MMO doesn't have the features of an MMO thats been constantly patched for 8 years" shocker.

I guess they could have delayed the release for another year while they worked on it, but I should well imagine the publishers, EA in this case, were harassing them to put the game out. EA doesn't care about features, just profit, that's just the business they're in. Blame them if you think its released too early with not enough features.

Edited by Tindahbawx

No the game is not

The community probably is

Alot of people draw to the name who aren't long time mmo people

I do not find the game itself to be a casual person's game.

Its not hard by any stretch but wow was by far and always will be the most easiest casual game made

Honestly, lets face it. Real MMOs died a long time ago. Games like Ultima Online with full loot drop and sandbox player made content. What we are left with is attempts at WoW clones trying to cash in with the new generation of "gamers". We just try these games hoping to find the old gaming high, but they will always disappoint. I recommend finding a new hobby or just embracing the casual gaming style and try to find the enjoyment you still can.

Even the new story element isn't that great. I guess since I read books there isn't anything mind blowing about the story being told. I'm just hoping they spice up PvP and fix the GTN since I mostly play games now for PvP and economy.

I think it is.

I've never seen a game, or community so hostile to 'hardcore' PvE/PvP players in my entire life. This may as well be the Bejeweled forums.

Did Bioware design this game with the intention to keep serious players out? The game doesn't even have a combat log, it doesn't have addon support, it has released a few days from 2012 with no ranked PvP system. How is that acceptable? Do BW have any idea how big the 'e-sport' market is for MMO's?

I could go on, and on, but it seems this game is very unfriendly towards players who want to play competitively/with skill.

Why keep out such a large potential userbase? I suspect its because of the IP monster that is Star Wars. Such a huge brand is going to bring people to this game that have never even played MMO's before, whereas games like Rift, GW2, etc. know what type of gamer they are getting and cater to them. Adding some sort of challenge in the game would only be a blow to the many potential subs they could get, and keeping out the hardcore players and keeping the scrubs happy has probably been determined as the best way to make that dollar.

You will not find EJ/AJ/WCM type communities for this game, there is no depth to this game.

boring rant. no depth because there are no logs, ranks etc.

open your eyes depth is not hidden in pvp ranks, combat logs, addons and arenas.

if you are the best - server will know you are the best.

if you play well - you will know that you play well.

and you'll have no use for logs, recounts and etc.

but if you are insecure about yourself then yes - you need data that comforts you on a regular basis.

Anyway, you're not going to get a new hardcore MMO anymore, making them casual opens it up to more players. More players = more profit.

You want hardcore? Go play EvE.

You want to know what the largest market share of gamers is these days? Facebook gamers, and "phone app gamers" who play crap like Farmville, etc, with few things to learn, and few buttons to press for quick low gratification rewards.

The publishers want to attract these games into their MMO's, and they arent going to do that with a hardcore MMO with permanent item loss, and hardcore PvP. They just don't want it. They don't want to work hard or memorise complex skill rotations and talent specs to be at the top of the damage charts. That's too much like work to them, they play for quick easy fixes of watered down fun for an hour or so then log off again.

Its a sad state of affairs, and I don't like it personally, but that's where the money is, so the average game company is going to cater for that market, not the small market share of people who want games hardcore, difficult and where you have to work for your reward, even though the satisfaction payoff at the end is greater. :(

/rant

Edited by Tindahbawx

Anyway, you're not going to get a new hardcore MMO anymore, making them casual opens it up to more players. More players = more profit.

You want hardcore? Go play EvE.

Haha, most of the normal mmo guys would cry harrasment the first time they get blown up and podded :D

Carebear tears ftw

Serriously... why does everyone want this game to be WoW?

Also, why does everyone expect every element in this game to be in place at launch? Look back, that's not how MMOs work. You get the shell and basic content to start, it develops over time. This is nothing new. It happens in every game.

Honestly, lets face it. Real MMOs died a long time ago. Games like Ultima Online with full loot drop and sandbox player made content. What we are left with is attempts at WoW clones trying to cash in with the new generation of "gamers". We just try these games hoping to find the old gaming high, but they will always disappoint. I recommend finding a new hobby or just embracing the casual gaming style and try to find the enjoyment you still can.

Even the new story element isn't that great. I guess since I read books there isn't anything mind blowing about the story being told. I'm just hoping they spice up PvP and fix the GTN since I mostly play games now for PvP and economy.

EVE is that way ----->

Seriously, that's all that game is is PvP and economy.

boring rant. no depth because there are no logs, ranks etc.

open your eyes depth is not hidden in pvp ranks, combat logs, addons and arenas.

if you are the best - server will know you are the best.

if you play well - you will know that you play well.

and you'll have no use for logs, recounts and etc.

but if you are insecure about yourself then yes - you need data that comforts you on a regular basis.

i'm not going to say you're necessarily wrong, but you have a very confused view on what logs are really useful for, and many people in this thread have what seems to be a very Rift-related view of what macros do. Addons also don't play the game for you.

I admit myself that they could make a few basic changes or allow for some customization in the ui and it would basically be perfectly functional outside of a combat log that a guild could use to critically analyze problems with, but that's no reason to blindly lay about with scathing words about addons or macros like your tongue is a lightsaber.

I think it is.

Free Realms

You are wrong. Eve exists.

It is also a great case against the type of game you describe. EvE is full of sociopaths.

Serriously... why does everyone want this game to be WoW?

Also, why does everyone expect every element in this game to be in place at launch? Look back, that's not how MMOs work. You get the shell and basic content to start, it develops over time. This is nothing new. It happens in every game.

On a side note, in a pre-emptive response to the "It's 2011! WoW has been out for ages!" argument, they didn't exactly start making this game when patch 4.3 came out. According to Wikipedia, SWTOR has been in development since at least 2006.