Is this the most casual friendly MMO of all time?

sanzuu

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't play the game?

They'll either add the features you asked about, or they won't. Creating another thread about it is redundant.

By definition, a game is supposed to be recreation. While some of those features are probably going to be added in the future, my outlook on it is this:

The game is fun without them

Games are supposed to be fun.

If you make the game a "job" that you have to be "competitive" at, then you're doing life wrong.

That's awesome "doing life wrong"

So damn true...

Judging by the answers he gets ... OP is right.

And yes, this looks like the epiphany of casuals, the prefect game for them. So they can feel powerfull and perfect in any situation, even when they are at their worse.

Actually, if you want things harder, these tools make things easier for you. So logic would dictate the "hardcores" would rather do without these tools, that make the game easier. No?

Let's put this in perspective, why are the so-called "hardcores" asking for tools that make the game easier (While in the same breath complaining about how easy things are)?

Edited by Jediwran

Where are people referring to when they refer to stars as a place? Ding ding, outer space, Star Wars = War in outer space.

When in game do they refer to any location by it's star? Every location I've seen people talk about thus far has been a planet, station, or ship.

You wanna brush your ponies hair or compare dresses, try not buying a game with WAR in the title.

I'm intelligent enough to know how to take Star Wars in context and know that not everything labeled Star Wars has strictly to do with war. Case in point: The Star Wars Christmas Special.

I mean, what the heck do guest appearances by Bea Arthur or Harvey Korman have anything to do with war?!

"Explore an age thousands of years before the rise of Darth Vader when war between

the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire divides the galaxy." Looks like Bioware says your wrong.

Any numer of rpgs have wars, that doesn't make them war-games. War-games are usually clssified as games like Axis and Allies, Warhammer: 40k, Starcraft, Company of Heroes, etc.

Star Wars: Pod Racing, though, would NOT be considered war game.

When in game do they refer to any location by it's star? Every location I've seen people talk about thus far has been a planet, station, or ship.

I'm intelligent enough to know how to take Star Wars in context and know that not everything labeled Star Wars has strictly to do with war. Case in point: The Star Wars Christmas Special.

I mean, what the heck do guest appearances by Bea Arthur or Harvey Korman have anything to do with war?!

The title alone isnt it all. Have you tried looking at how the people who created it describe it? "Explore an age thousands of years before the rise of Darth Vader when war between

the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire divides the galaxy." Second sentence in the description of the game provided by Bioware, not a war game huh?

Because I can already sense that your a WoW troll...

a) WoW did not support addons at launch

b) never mind a combat log, WoW had no PvP at launch

How casual is THAT!?!?!

TOR has only just just launched.

Yes it needs some tweaks like UI customization/scaling, more efficient auction house etc etc.

But as you well know these types of things will be added organically, same as they were with WoW and every other MMORPG to date.

Fail troll 2/10.

Driz

WoW came out years ago, that's no excuse.

I am happy to say that, despite playing a lot of different MMOs (from a current sub in EvE to a sub in AOC to a Lifetime in STO - big mistake - and a lot in between) I have never played a minute of WoW.

I find that most of the players who are in here QQing about whatever are drawing a lot of connections to how WoW is different/better/not-better/similar.

While I know that WoW is the big dog of the MMO world, I can't help but be happy that I don't have a WoW experience to draw upon. So for me, this game is different enough from the other MMOs I've played, and at the same time similar to them, but I also don't have 5 years of WoW baggage coming in.

I'm fresh... I'm uncorrupted... I'm enjoying SWTOR as I play my 1.5 hours every second night.

Cheers!

Never_WoWed_Canuck :)

How casual is THAT!?!?!

Yes it needs some tweaks like UI customization/scaling, more efficient auction house etc etc.

But as you well know these types of things will be added organically, same as they were with WoW and every other MMORPG to date.

Fail troll 2/10.

Driz

SWTOR is not competing with 2004 WoW. It's competing with current-day WoW. Some features are pretty standard nowadays, Bioware can't just ignore them because "WoW didn't have this at launch"

I am happy to say that, despite playing a lot of different MMOs (from a current sub in EvE to a sub in AOC to a Lifetime in STO - big mistake - and a lot in between) I have never played a minute of WoW.

I find that most of the players who are in here QQing about whatever are drawing a lot of connections to how WoW is different/better/not-better/similar.

While I know that WoW is the big dog of the MMO world, I can't help but be happy that I don't have a WoW experience to draw upon. So for me, this game is different enough from the other MMOs I've played, and at the same time similar to them, but I also don't have 5 years of WoW baggage coming in.

I'm fresh... I'm uncorrupted... I'm enjoying SWTOR as I play my 1.5 hours every second night.

Cheers!

Never_WoWed_Canuck :)

Glad to hear it :D

I think it is.

I've never seen a game, or community so hostile to 'hardcore' PvE/PvP players in my entire life. This may as well be the Bejeweled forums.

Did Bioware design this game with the intention to keep serious players out? The game doesn't even have a combat log, it doesn't have addon support, it has released a few days from 2012 with no ranked PvP system. How is that acceptable? Do BW have any idea how big the 'e-sport' market is for MMO's?

I could go on, and on, but it seems this game is very unfriendly towards players who want to play competitively/with skill.

Why keep out such a large potential userbase? I suspect its because of the IP monster that is Star Wars. Such a huge brand is going to bring people to this game that have never even played MMO's before, whereas games like Rift, GW2, etc. know what type of gamer they are getting and cater to them. Adding some sort of challenge in the game would only be a blow to the many potential subs they could get, and keeping out the hardcore players and keeping the scrubs happy has probably been determined as the best way to make that dollar.

You will not find EJ/AJ/WCM type communities for this game, there is no depth to this game.

is my response to you sir. Good day, I said good day!

So why does everyone keep comparing it to it then?

Stupidity. On one hand you get a group of players who cry every day this game isn't enough like WoW, and on the other, you get the polar opposite group crying the game is too much like WoW. It's sheer stupidity.

Edited by Jediwran

The title alone isnt it all. Have you tried looking at how the people who created it describe it? "Explore an age thousands of years before the rise of Darth Vader when war between

the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire divides the galaxy." Second sentence in the description of the game provided by Bioware, not a war game huh?

Like I said earlier, any number of games have to do with war, including but not limited to rpgs, fps's, arcade fighting, heck even puzzle games have had war themes. That doesn't make them a 'war game'.

Star Wars: Old Republic-MMORPG, not a war game

Star Wars: Empire at War-RTS, and a war game

Like I said earlier, any number of games have to do with war, including but not limited to rpgs, fps's, arcade fighting, heck even puzzle games have had war themes. That doesn't make them a 'war game'.

Star Wars: Old Republic-MMORPG, not a war game

Star Wars: Empire at War-RTS, and a war game

I agree with this to an extent. For example, DA series story was built around war, but nobody would exactly call it a war game. War is the element of the game, but at its heart its an RPG.

Edited by Jediwran

I think it is.

I've never seen a game, or community so hostile to 'hardcore' PvE/PvP players in my entire life. This may as well be the Bejeweled forums.

Did Bioware design this game with the intention to keep serious players out? The game doesn't even have a combat log, it doesn't have addon support, it has released a few days from 2012 with no ranked PvP system. How is that acceptable? Do BW have any idea how big the 'e-sport' market is for MMO's?

I could go on, and on, but it seems this game is very unfriendly towards players who want to play competitively/with skill.

Why keep out such a large potential userbase? I suspect its because of the IP monster that is Star Wars. Such a huge brand is going to bring people to this game that have never even played MMO's before, whereas games like Rift, GW2, etc. know what type of gamer they are getting and cater to them. Adding some sort of challenge in the game would only be a blow to the many potential subs they could get, and keeping out the hardcore players and keeping the scrubs happy has probably been determined as the best way to make that dollar.

You will not find EJ/AJ/WCM type communities for this game, there is no depth to this game.

I say good! leave Hardcore out of tor-If one want to be hardcore be hardcore in real life with your job, career, profession, the sports your may play in real life, and you will be successful with money and fame. L

Leave tor causal for us to escape from are busy hardcore llife. I don't want to deal with alot of hardcore players with achievements that have know impact on real life. With tor one should just want to complete some missions, run some flashpoints, do a couple pvp matchs

SWTOR is not competing with 2004 WoW. It's competing with current-day WoW. Some features are pretty standard nowadays, Bioware can't just ignore them because "WoW didn't have this at launch"

True, but in turn TOR cannot compete with modern day WoW which has essentially been in a years-long post launch cycle with 3 expansions and an upcoming forth one.

This next part is not aimed at you Kazim but is a small rant in general...

I wish people would stop comparing the two anyway in such a competitive fashion. They're different games by different companies, genre be damned! Why the hell should people whine about what TOR doesn't have, or what WoW is lacking? Both The Witcher 2 and Skyrim are awesome single player RPGs but I don't go arguing about which one is better, everyone has different tastes!

Try to accept TOR for what it is rather than what you want it to be. Upset about queues and bugs? Make constructive posts, and spare us the pathetic whining and trolling. Don't like what TOR offers? Don't play. Simple.

Edited by archifikoss

True, but in turn TOR cannot compete with modern day WoW which has essentially been in a years-long post launch cycle with 3 expansions and an upcoming forth one.

I wish people would stop comparing the two anyway in such a competitive fashion. They're different games by different companies, genre be damned! Why the hell should people whine about what TOR doesn't have, or what WoW is lacking? Both The Witcher 2 and Skyrim are awesome single player RPGs but I don't go arguing about which one is better, everyone has different tastes!

Try to accept TOR for what it is rather than what you want it to be. Upset about queues and bugs? Make constructive posts, and spare us the pathetic whining and trolling. Don't like what TOR offers? Don't play. Simple.

Amen!

So why does everyone keep comparing it to it then?

Because WoW is the game everyone thinks of when you bring up an MMORPG.

Of course, what the OP is forgetting is that WoW exclaimed itself the casual alternative to the EARLIER game everyone thought of for an MMORPG -- Everquest.

Since then, WoW has vascilated between being more casual, or more "Raid or Die." Now SW:TOR is proclaiming itself (accurately, IMHO) more casual than WoW is.

There's more than enough room for BOTH games, and I for one am (so far) having a blast here, despite still playing WoW and having played WoW since vanilla (pre expansions), playing Everquest, etc.

Hopefully, like WoW before it, SW:TOR will bring in more players due to the IP involved, instead of "just" the MMORPG market (which was far smaller even with Ultima Online or Everquest).

So what if SW:TOR is more casual? Are you enjoying the game? That is and really should be the ONLY question. Not is it better/more hardcore than WoW, but is it FUN?

Take it and run,

In MMO Land..."There can be only one!"

Apparently.

Edited by SiaSinblade

How casual is THAT!?!?!

Fail troll 2/10.

Driz

WoW also came out in 2004. So either we should be happy with a game that's 7 years behind or BW should step up and actually try. I don't want WoW 2, wuite frankly I'm over WoW since it became the new Kung Fu Panda MMO. But they sold it to us for $60 and are asking us to pay them $15 a month, I agree with OP, I don't pay $15 a month to enjoy how nice the game looks and how well the story line is done out (after you're done with it you're done with it, one time thing). I can do that in single player games that don't have a monthly subscription. I want the competitiveness that is usually associated with these types of games, which unfortunately BW is smothering.

Using this as a general statement:

TOR has been in the works at least since 2006. Yes, many features no doubt have been added along the ride, but the framework of the game, in fact, is not and could not possibly have been, based on current incarnation of what a 2011 MMO is.