future of maul?

HollowVamp

its not possible to spam shadow strike and crit someone for 9k each hit.

infiltration tactics.

causes your next shadow strike to deal 30% more damage and cost 75% less force. this can only occur every 15 seconds, every rank decreases the time by 3 seconds. (there are 3 ranks)

so at your absolute highest 3 hits would be 9k 5.5k 5.5k.

and that would be a bloody miracle.

AND you would almost guaranteed still die because you would keep trying to spam it.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For you folks who say a deception assassin should use the mystic pve set for an extra 50 force, so you can 'spam' maul, I tell you you have no clue how the class works.

The extra charge of recklessness and 15s off the cd is essential for deception, particularly after 2.0. One should NEVER hit maul unless the proc is up, and it is very newbish to maul without it. The proc can happen twice in 10 seconds, once on its own 10s internal cd and the second time on a separate 10s cd from spike or low slash. Couple that with a 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 chance to crit on that maul and things aren't very peachy.

If you are fighting an assassin who is trying to spam maul on you and you still have issues with that, the problem is you.

Edited by Monterone

Nope that's not spammable.

Oh and on top of it all it has a positional requirement on it. So learn to strafe properly and stop keyboard turning.

Maul is fine.

I'm a terrible at pvp when I try and DD on my operative, and I find it easy to get 'behind' someone. The game seems to think that 'behind' refers to anything in the rear 180 degrees of someone, so even being off to the side enables the condition.

And if you were a strafing god, this is luckily stun wars, after all. Try strafing out of that.

For you folks who say a deception assassin should use the mystic pve set for an extra 50 force, so you can 'spam' maul, I tell you you have no clue how the class works.

The extra charge of recklessness and 15s off the cd is essential for deception, particularly after 2.0. One should NEVER hit maul unless the proc is up, and it is very newbish to maul without it. The proc can happen twice in 10 seconds, once on its own 10s internal cd and the second time on a separate 10s cd from spike or low slash. Couple that with a 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 chance to crit on that maul and things aren't very peachy.

If you are fighting an assassin who is trying to spam maul on you and you still have issues with that, the problem is you.

Exactly this. :cool:

I'm a terrible at pvp when I try and DD on my operative, and I find it easy to get 'behind' someone. The game seems to think that 'behind' refers to anything in the rear 180 degrees of someone, so even being off to the side enables the condition.

And if you were a strafing god, this is luckily stun wars, after all. Try strafing out of that.

This. It's not terribly hard to get behind any player.

Well yes and no. Sometimes maul will fire when I am nowhere near their backside and others ill be standing right behind them and you get the "must be behind target" error. Maul is very subjective to hitching and client v server side positioning.

on my server after 2.0 I went from 35-65 to 95-110 latency (probably security). If u have a fast connection and a good spam it is hard to set off a major attack with a melee even if slowed. I think if you are under 4' range and they are a force user there should be no penalty for being behind someone. You should get same advantage on initial attack if one. Jedi and sith and even our martial artist train with masks

Simple truth of the matter is.. if maul stays like it is, then operatives backstab shouldnt have any CD either cause its basically the same move.

they get hidden strike which is spike + maul then backstab using those one after another is just as good as a maul>maul. Only difference is we can keep using our 1 out of stealth.

first of all, I thoroughly agree with the 180 thing. second, can anyone who plays scrapper confirm or definitively refute that there's something about the abil (perhaps the animation?) that makes it more difficult to pull off? I ask, cuz as I said previously, it's really really easy to get the "back" for maul, but I find it a lot more effort for backblast. it might just be the fact that there's a cd on bb? but iunno. it just looks grayed out more to me.

Any idiot who is complaining about maul needs to l2p and understand a few things. Compare to smash:

Not autocrit

Not aoe

Less damage

4m range (smash has a 10m aoe, 5m in each direction radius/10m diameter)

Can't min/max to abandon crit rating (which was recently nerfed so crits come less often now, btw)

Requires positioning behind the target

Same comparison applies to operative

For some reason you are complaining about this and not smash, which has been the same since 1.4. L2p and get lost

Edited by JP_Legatus

its not possible to spam shadow strike and crit someone for 9k each hit.

infiltration tactics.

causes your next shadow strike to deal 30% more damage and cost 75% less force. this can only occur every 15 seconds, every rank decreases the time by 3 seconds. (there are 3 ranks)

so at your absolute highest 3 hits would be 9k 5.5k 5.5k.

and that would be a bloody miracle.

AND you would almost guaranteed still die because you would keep trying to spam it.

Wrong, Infiltration tactis and lowslash/spinning kick proc don't share a cool down.

Any idiot who is complaining about maul needs to l2p and understand a few things. Compare to smash:

Not autocrit

Not aoe

Less damage

4m range (smash has a 10m aoe, 5m in each direction radius/10m diameter)

Can't min/max to abandon crit rating (which was recently nerfed so crits come less often now, btw)

Requires positioning behind the target

For some reason you are complaining about this and not smash, which has been the same since 1.4. L2p and get lost

Anyone who says L2P should L2context. nothing to do with gameplay. if it crits it and is proc'd it does do more damage than Smash. So L2post

Anyone who says L2P should L2context. nothing to do with gameplay. if it crits it and is proc'd it does do more damage than Smash. So L2post

No. Smash will do 50k+ damage in a hit sometimes.

Maul is single target, not garanteed to crit, and requires positional for it.

I am comparing single target hit to single target hit. Yes, an AoE does more damage than a single attack. I wouldn't think I'd have to explain that....Sheesh.

The endgame of maul hits harder than a truck, and the set up with it not to mention assassinate hiting hard as a truck may be the reason the class needs looked at.

Look I play Op and assassin and notice the burst potential from both, but atm in my opinion assassin is a little over the top with the burst from maul followed by the rotation of moves that follow.

I don't think its the same like op back in the day with one global burning down people, and yes bads do get burned down and cry like little babys when someone skilled with a assassin makes them look like garbage, so some of the cry wolf talk is from bads.

I do think the class needs looked it, do I think it needs nerfed a bit yea I do tbh.

Do I think assassin is the best burst in the game, kinda, all though sniper and op can still global someone with the right setup and situation.

So I play devil avacate with this discussion.

My 2 pennies.

first of all, I thoroughly agree with the 180 thing. second, can anyone who plays scrapper confirm or definitively refute that there's something about the abil (perhaps the animation?) that makes it more difficult to pull off? I ask, cuz as I said previously, it's really really easy to get the "back" for maul, but I find it a lot more effort for backblast. it might just be the fact that there's a cd on bb? but iunno. it just looks grayed out more to me.

Seems the same to me for both classes.

Edited by Raansu

Lol @ OP ability defenders always comparing it to smash. When you have no argument and obvious your ability is OP and in doubt - compare it to smash!

My only beef with assassins is the ridiculous 3+ stuns they have with short cooldowns.

Edited by hobrogaming

Lol @ OP ability defenders always comparing it to smash. When you have no argument and obvious your ability is OP and in doubt - compare it to smash!

My only beef with assassins is the ridiculous 3+ stuns they have with short cooldowns.

What else would you compare it to?

The highest hitting ability sets the bar. And Smash/Sweep has been the highest hitting ability since the game launched, so naturally it is the one to compare to.

The fact that it is an autocrit and an AoE only points out the discrepancy better.

And I think you mean 1 stun. I don't know what other stuns you're talking about unless you're talking about powertech, the class that actually has two stuns.

Edited by Monterone

What else would you compare it to?

The highest hitting ability sets the bar. And Smash/Sweep has been the highest hitting ability since the game launched, so naturally it is the one to compare to.

The fact that it is an autocrit and an AoE only points out the discrepancy better.

And I think you mean 1 stun. I don't know what other stuns you're talking about unless you're talking about powertech, the class that actually has two stuns.

smack stun, out of stealth stun, 4 second stun, force lift

one or two of them has to be a 30 cooldown

Op class is OP

Edited by hobrogaming

smack stun, out of stealth stun, 4 second stun, force lift

one or two of them has to be a 30 cooldown

Op class is OP

When smash gets nerfed you can talk about assassins, and probably not even then. But since smash is not nerfed, you can take a hike and /thread

I am comparing single target hit to single target hit. Yes, an AoE does more damage than a single attack. I wouldn't think I'd have to explain that....Sheesh.

Maul does not do more damage than smash in a crit sorry pal.

Not unless the sin mix/maxed for all power and no crit, in which case he is critting about 1 in 4 mauls at best, and that's WITH the crit talent that requires a force crit beforehand, with the crit buff and with 1% from companion buff.

Even in that instance, the two abilities are nearly identical in damage, and it's pretty obvious which one will do more damage over a warzone. I know this for a fact because I have both my sin and marauder min/maxed for power, and my maul which crits 1 in 4 or 5 does identical damage to a smash.

You see any deception sins topping damage charts?

You people are barking up the wrong tree.

Edited by JP_Legatus