lol bolster

LegendaryQuan

Bolster as is, is really annoying. It basically makes PvP gear useless.

I don't PvP much, so it made the gear I had earned feel more rewarding, and now it's gone out the window. I get better stats and Expertise in my PvE gear, which is just wrong IMO.

Bring back a recruit set, and roll back the bolster to how it was pre-2.0. People shouldn't be able to go into their first ever warzone, and be on-par stat wise with people who work there butt of for good gear.

STOP HAND HOLDING, BIOWARE

So you are complaining that because people are on equal footing and you are not destroying every single person you come across? You are retarded. PvP should be a balance between skill and gear, but the gear difference can't be as dramatic as it was pre 2.0 especially in lowbie brackets. Besides, WH and EWH was obsolete anyways and there needs to be a bolster for 30-54 PvP because it would be completely unfair to the people that did not have the old PvP gear. If that were the case, you would be able to kill level 30s by your basic attack and that is no fun or challenge at all.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bolster as is, is really annoying. It basically makes PvP gear useless.

I don't PvP much, so it made the gear I had earned feel more rewarding, and now it's gone out the window. I get better stats and Expertise in my PvE gear, which is just wrong IMO.

Bring back a recruit set, and roll back the bolster to how it was pre-2.0. People shouldn't be able to go into their first ever warzone, and be on-par stat wise with people who work there butt of for good gear.

STOP HAND HOLDING, BIOWARE

Disclaimer:

Bolster was supposed to bring almost to first tier of pvp gear, so people who spend months/years/bilion eyars will still have better stats.

Recruit gear was terrible idea. Why? people in pve gear in warzones because they think they have better stats that way then 'that lol 14k hp recruit'. Bolster won't make them good pvpers, but atleast they will be worth being a cannon fodder for a moment. Not to mention, recruit players were spotted out of crowd and being marked as 'easy kills'... on a side note, it was so freacking bloody ugly...

yes, bolster needs to be tweaked (or is being tweaked in this patch), but bolster or not, better player will still win, and gear will still be reward... where is the problem....

As much as I despise 50 pvp, gear progression is good since it gives people something to do. Bolster really should've never been changed. BW tries to fix one problem to cater to scrubs and creates a whole host of problems for people who are actually good at the game. Sad.

What host of problems for people who are "actually good at the game"? Is this implying that you are awful and can't kill a level 43 character when you are 50? If you are "actually good at the game" then this won't be a problem for you. Chances are you were either using a FOTM spec or got EWH and stomped everyone with your insane amounts of expertise. Bolster needed to change so it wasn't a drastic difference between someone in Recruit versus someone in War Hero or Elite War Hero. The fix is a GOOD thing for everyone wanting a more skill based PvP and BAD for those that wanted to dominate everything just by having full EWH.

and exactly WHY CANT people get items for these slots? lazy? don't want to? stupidest thing ive ever heard of in my life

Oh so you don't want to take the time to gear up, so we put a system in the game that makes you JUST as GOOD as those who spend hours/days/weeks/months/years/decades/centuries/millennia gearing up

da***outtahere

That would because those items are not available to lvl 10's. The first implants aren't available to almost lvl 20. Has nothing to do with them being lazy. Maybe you should actually think and reason before you make a fool of yourself by acting like a child and speaking before thinking.

Quote 1000 times from thread: "Bolster makes gear entirely useless"

Funny, because Bolster bolsters to below top PVP gear level..

Unbased whining FTW!

(PS. Yes, I realise the issues of top level PVE gear having the potential to have higher stats in certain areas, but those are tweaks to the system. You guys are talking like people decked out in endgame PVE gear are bashing Warzones right now.. while no guild had the time to fully gear even 1 member in ilvl 69 mods)

Yeah...smth wrong here, I just wanna tell one story of my pvp after 2.0 (yeah, you can explain this by my slow comp/bad skill or smth like that :D, but I'm thought that's more than my problem)

Aaand...sorry if my english bad, I'm just not used to write so many text in english :D

For the intro, this nightmare was on ACW (Alderaan Civil War) warzone

I use my 50 lvl assassin (partially war-hero gear, partially crap like tionese, that's I've before 2.0, yeah, I know, after 2.0 old gear is crappy crap, but what I can do :D)...and what I've see? 32 lvl Jedi Guardian just X-rays through my stealth (in distance of 20 meters)...well, it's not the point there, but next...I can't kill it (Jedi Guardian 32 lvl using lvl 50 Sith Assassin, *** is that?), okay, I understand that my sin in darkness tree...but why the bloody hell with 60% ShCh, 50% ShAbs, and near 50% DmgReduct, I receive from lvl 32, normally over 5k dmg, and crits over 9k sometimes...and I deal (with expertise boosted to almost +60% dmg for players) pitful 2-3k maximum (!)

So...respawn waited for me

Then, my team failed almost every try to take central or grass turret (or if they successfully take the point, they'd smashed and rolled from that in seconds, I remember how often I saw names of my teammates), almost always defended by 2 35-45...the team mostly 40-50 and even 50-54 were there

So we loosed...to team mostly 30-45 :D

Quote 1000 times from thread: "Bolster makes gear entirely useless"

Funny, because Bolster bolsters to below top PVP gear level..

Unbased whining FTW!

(PS. Yes, I realise the issues of top level PVE gear having the potential to have higher stats in certain areas, but those are tweaks to the system. You guys are talking like people decked out in endgame PVE gear are bashing Warzones right now.. while no guild had the time to fully gear even 1 member in ilvl 69 mods)

Ppl decked in PVE gear do bash warzones right now (until patch atleast)...or do you think I had the "luck" to run in one of the only 3-4 assassins tanks worldwide that are in full conquerer and 35k life? (this at lvl 55 not 50-54)

Bolster bolsters ppl to below partisan lvl. At level 54 the people who worked their arse off for EWH are subpar against greenies...

You are trolling sir, considering even BW admited they screwed up!

Bolster was intended by the devs to make PVP more accessible to low level or casual players.

However, hardcore PVP players EXPLOITED the new system by removing their gear to become stronger.

The result : either you exploit or get left behind. The whole Light Side/Dark Side challenge.

Bolster is an attempt at balance.

If someone level 50+ removes gear in PVP = exploiter.

Someone level 10 without a relic = level 10 with no available relic. NOT lazy or poor, just level 10.

But you don't have to take my word for it ...

I just want to see what happened to some of the mods i pulled from my old wh gear and put in place of some of the useless mods that were in my new partisan gear.. The update about it on here and the patch notes are confusing me..well..it is 4:35 am that might be my problem :p

Ppl decked in PVE gear do bash warzones right now (until patch atleast)...or do you think I had the "luck" to run in one of the only 3-4 assassins tanks worldwide that are in full conquerer and 35k life? (this at lvl 55 not 50-54)

Bolster bolsters ppl to below partisan lvl. At level 54 the people who worked their arse off for EWH are subpar against greenies...

You are trolling sir, considering even BW admited they screwed up!

I am not, and you are not even touching on what I'm saying (I admitted PVE is a problem, but not nearly as big as everyone makes it, do you really think all those PVE-ers suddenly wanted to spend their time PVPing instead of PVEing? These are, at most, the same PVPers you are seeing that also have an endgame PVE set they use. People also known as: no lifers. The same idiots that rolled warzones before).

Also, I said the whine that gear is entirely useless is a baseless whine, because it isnt. There is gearing, and people in soon full 66 PVP gear will have a gear advantage over others, including PVE gear. The advantage will just be a lot smaller than it was before 2.0.

And the fact gear matters nothing in 30-54 (because thats the bracket, not 50-54) is only normal and follows the same routine Bolster was originally meant to do in levelling PVP: Remove gear as a defining factor.

And the thing you complain about below 54.. that is exactly what is being fixed in today's patch.

So sorry, I'm not trolling, you are for repeating these points even still.

So you are complaining that because people are on equal footing and you are not destroying every single person you come across? You are retarded. PvP should be a balance between skill and gear, but the gear difference can't be as dramatic as it was pre 2.0 especially in lowbie brackets. Besides, WH and EWH was obsolete anyways and there needs to be a bolster for 30-54 PvP because it would be completely unfair to the people that did not have the old PvP gear. If that were the case, you would be able to kill level 30s by your basic attack and that is no fun or challenge at all.

Im not saying that WH/EWH shouldnt have expertise removed, Im saying that at 55, bolster should be removed. You gear up to do better in content, you don't get bolster to stats when you go to EC NiM or w/e and you shouldn't get expertise at elder game PvP. If you don't have any PvP gear, it's your own fault for not saving comms before hand. Bolster system wasn't perfect before, but IMO it was better than how it is now.

And calling me retarded is just petty.

Disclaimer:

Bolster was supposed to bring almost to first tier of pvp gear, so people who spend months/years/bilion eyars will still have better stats.

Recruit gear was terrible idea. Why? people in pve gear in warzones because they think they have better stats that way then 'that lol 14k hp recruit'. Bolster won't make them good pvpers, but atleast they will be worth being a cannon fodder for a moment. Not to mention, recruit players were spotted out of crowd and being marked as 'easy kills'... on a side note, it was so freacking bloody ugly...

yes, bolster needs to be tweaked (or is being tweaked in this patch), but bolster or not, better player will still win, and gear will still be reward... where is the problem....

Ok, I agree with some of what you are saying.

I think currently that because of bolster, there is less of an emphasis on gearing up to get better stats, because it is just handed to you, be it in a watered down form. My opinion is, there are better ways of giving people a fair chance in lvl 55 warzones than expertise bolster, recruit gear wasn't the best thing, but it worked without stripping as much accomplishment away from people that take satisfaction in getting better gear.

Because let's face it, lvl 55 warzones are the issue here, because it's elder game content.

Call be retarded/stupid or what ever, but thats my opinion on the matter

Im not saying that WH/EWH shouldnt have expertise removed, Im saying that at 55, bolster should be removed. You gear up to do better in content,

Wrong.

MMO gear in a PVE level is about getting gear to be able to defeat the next tier of content, not to do better in current content. Gearing was the phasing of old where gear would determine if you were able to beat a boss or not (before complex mechanics determined boss fights more than gear does).

So you gear to beat new bosses, not to beat the bosses you just got the gear from.

Then in came PVP, where gear became all about pwning the other guys better. This is a clear advantage to those with more time to get the gear, and this clear advantage gets lessened through the use of the Bolster mechanic. What accomplishment is there in having items that say 66 in purple over items that say 63 in purple? Gearing up is not an accomplishment, it's a means to achieve a goal.

Also, push comes to shove, level 55 Bolster is designed to give people in 66 gear an advantage over those Bolstered as well. People complain now because nobody has a full deck of 66 with all the new augments yet, but just wait until that is more common than it is now. Then you'll see how big a difference 5% makes.

Don't forget: the old Recruit -> WH -> EWH system actually had a difference of 60-80% between bare Recruit and fully decked EWH with augments.

Edited by Devlonir

Read the Bioware post about naked pvp.

should expect them to be underperforming stat wise and over performing cojones wise

Ok, that solves that. Thx

ps. Bolster is a better idea as a whole than recruit gear, so that is sorta good.

Edited by Karkais

With expertise crystals being pointless now, can some method of trading them in for a crystal of the same colour but different (useful) stat be introduced? Like a vendor that sells every colour crystal of every stat and the cost of purchase is one expertise crystal of the same colour. (or even any crystal of the same colour)

Some folk have paid around 2million credits for a purple expertise crystal on GTN and I have personally spent quite a lot of warzone comms on baradium flux to craft quite a few purple expertise crystals for my alts. If I can at least exchange them for same colour of other stats I won't feel cheated out of quite a lot of wz comms.

Please take this seriously, those crafted crystals are not a trivial investment of resources however they were acquired.

What about a level 55 that has EWH gear? Am I having that expertise taken away? As an Elite Warlord, I earned that gear, I worked for it and would like it to be viable, albeit within only 55 PvP and not bolstered to the new gear level, till I can work up to the better gear. And also, I hope my power relics (PvP) I use in PvE remain the same or are made better, not worse, as I can not stand to do any more terribly than I already do in HM FP's. It is like relearning the game all over again. ugh! We shall see in the next few moments when we are able to log on... :confused:

Okay, so what exactly is going to happen to our WH/EWH relics? are we going to just have pure 120 power/shield with expertise removed, or will they be converted to some kind of BS 90 endurance + on use power or worse on proc power/shield? I use these for PVE, so I don't care if the expertise is removed, but I don't want the pve stats themselves altered/lowered.

I guess we will know once the servers come back up, although Bioware said that the only WH/EWH gear they were unable to change, were the crystals.

PvP gear still rules for owning/1hitting less-geared/PvE-geared people IN WORLD PVP, i.e. everywhere outside WZs. This should be incentive enough for you to gear your toonsters.

But when it comes to WZs, it's now more of a skill competition and that's absolutely fine. Gear still matters, but you can no longer own players much better than you only because you outgear them and spent months scientifically min/maxing or whatever. If both players are on the same skill level, then the better gear will still give a nice advantage, though.

I guess we will know once the servers come back up, although Bioware said that the only WH/EWH gear they were unable to change, were the crystals.

The servers are back up aaaand...

expertise was not removed from the relics. What does this signify I do not yet know. SHould they be swapped the same way as crystals?

Does this mean my bolster is bolloxed until I replace the relics and crystals with non-expertise ones?

Edited by Karkais

Hey everyone,

Our combat and PvP teams have been hard at work addressing the issues of naked Bolster and the itemization issues attached to it (like War Hero gear). Here is some very detailed information on everything we are going to be doing to address these concerns right from Alex Modny. If you want the basic info here is a quick synopsis, read on for the full debrief:

TLDR: Going into a Warzone completely naked will now be worse than wearing gear. War Hero and Elite War Hero gear is viable again.

Our current plan is that you will see all of these changes after our scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, April 16th. Note that these changes are NOT to address the time to kill issues. We are still actively investigating that and will get back to you as soon as we have more information.

-eric

So.

In those little patch notes you posted within the aforequoted post, you said it is not recommended to use Batttlemaster gear because it is obsolete and bolster will simply ignore it.

Question.

Way, way, WAY back in the day, in order to customize/itemize PVP gear, you HAD to attain valor 60 and craft/have someone craft for you a set of orange BM shells. I had this BM shell gear crafted for my sorc, because to be honest the War Hero armor for sorcs looks like it came out of a swamp and I refused to wear it, BUT I kept the armorings/mods/etc in this set current and up to date. It now contains mostly Partisan with some leftover EWH mods/enhancements left in it that I haven't been able to get the comms to min/max quite yet. Quite frankly, even though Partisan is an improvement over EWH in the cosmetic department, I have every intention of keeping my BM outfit because I LIKE the look (at least with headgear hidden) and it is now unobtainable, thus giving me a nice little cosmetic perk for being a long-time subber. Hell it is for this reason that my version of "naked pvp" only consisted of removing the old EWH relics.

Is this new bolster rework going to look at my Battlemaster shells and say "trololol, all the gear you ground out and kept up to date is now for naught?" Or will it ignore the name of the shell and only account for gear inside?

(And while we're at it, should I overwrite min/maxed EWH mods with these few extra Partisan mods that I'd previously refrained from adding because they changed my itemization in ways I did not like?)

Please be careful what you call obsolete lest you sow utter confusion and panic! :)

So ... all the WORK I put into My Elite War hero gear is just A waste of TIME ? Really .. trying to raise all the EXPERTISE I can .. and now ya just TAKE IT AWAY ? are you guys REALLY thinking about what your Players that PAY for this game want ? First you reduce Servers.. and Put People Where ever YOU like no regard to the Subscription Holder .. now you RUIN the Gear SO many People worked for ... THANK YOU ! Love the game .. sorry some developers are making it Bad ....

They need to make a partisan enhancement vendor asap. this is such BS. The 55 gear for every class of mine has a **** stat that isn't needed for my skill tree in each item just about. This is stupid. I don't see how the 61 and 63 mods even had anything to do with screwing up the bolster. morons..I have your full set of partisan, and 3 pieces of conq gear. Still garbage.

Do they realize that full pve lvl 69 gear now performs better than full pvp gear??

So stupid that they decide to give pve carebears this crutch.

The fact is this: PvEers do poorly in PvP because they are bad.

This is very frustrating.

PVEers are not bad, Some of us play pvp aswell. Most people I see who qualify as PVPers tend to be over-egotistical and don't listen to those who know pve fights and thus suck at PVE, Yes a lot of pve based players do poorly at pvp, no that doesn't mean they're bad, they may just not care, you don't know.

Edited by Valsig
Fix.