lol bolster

LegendaryQuan

Bolster Comparison Pictures level 25 Green vs EWH Aug Implant

Wearing the Green Added Endurance + Damage + Crit + Expertise + Alacrity but dropped some crit and surge

Thank you for this, the trolls screaming back and forth about skill vs gear are doing nothing but poluting the thread, this is what everyone should be pissed off about. FAIL FIX IS FAIL

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Just no. The cap is raised and new gear should be the goal now. Your EWH will and should be outdated. The same applies for PvEers. They need to grind a new set as well.

Except PvE wasn't radical modified to be PvP gear was it? Matter of fact the old top end raid gear wasn't being out classed by players running around NAKED, was it? Yes, we all know that gear will be replaced but this is not the same.

Bolster Comparison Pictures level 33 Green vs EWH Aug Implant

Wearing the Green Added Endurance + Damage + Crit + Expertise + Alacrity but dropped some crit and surge

It makes you wonder if you modded a green with an augment.. I don't want to spend the creds on that venture but someone should test it since apparently we are all beta testers.. DO they test anything??

Wow. This is after their bolster-fixing patch? Sigh.

Yup after patch. They key was to have the same stats you want bolstered in your gear. This system leaves room for twinking still. I did not test it with an augmented green but maybe thats next. Throw a surge augment on it and watch the surge jump.

Bolster Comparison Pictures level 33 Green vs EWH Aug Implant

I completely agree with other comments, there is no reason for PvE gear to ever be better than PVP gear in a WZ match, and also visa versa. Other wise why have 2 different sets of gear? It makes no sense to those that PVP exclusive and are being dropped fairly easily to a player w/ PVE gear. Its fairly obvious, maybe not to those that run around and take advantage of the "bug". PVP needs more attention anyway, so hopefully they work on these issues. A games life expectancy is based on PVP for me. no matter how good the PVE content is, If PVP falls short than slowly people who enjoy pvp get tired and switch to a different MMO w/ better and balanced PVP. There are those that PVP and those that PVE. Both should be given an equal experience.

TBH, I strongly stand by that the best PVP systems I have seen used the same gear for PVP and PVE. This actually believe it or not required people to participate in a multitude of content and did not require time consuming grinds in both areas. It also allows a little more player creativity to the extent that a select niche of players are always going to min/max stats. I have not had anyone really explain to me the actual point of expertise or other PVP boosting stats except to serve as just a status symbol of he time you have devoted into that particular part of the game by creating a tier system. Now, these are strictly my opinions and I know many do not share it but there it is. I could write on and on but you get my point I am sure. And, of course....For the Empire... Edited by Drekevec

TBH, I strongly stand by that the best PVP systems I have seen used the same gear for PVP and PVE. This actually believe it or not required people to participate in a multitude of content and did not require time consuming grinds in both areas. It also allows a little more player creativity to the extent that a select niche of players are always going to min/max stats. I have not had anyone really explain to me the actual point of expertise or other PVP boosting stats except to serve as just a status symbol of he time you have devoted into that particular part of the game by creating a tier system. Now, these are strictly my opinions and I know many do not share it but there it is. I could write on and on but you get my point I am sure. And, of course....For the Empire...

It was a measure of how good you are at actually playing objectives at pvp now we have numerous people from all parts of the game rolling in not knowing snow from grass.

I had a guy say... "oh god not you (guildname) uber PVErs.. thats it im rolling this is a loss" sure enough we got slammed with our team focusing on one turret vs their whole team I roll to another turret cap it without any defense and then everyone rotates to the same damn turret again. Some gauge needs to exist that can be inspected easily. I dont care if they counted it for nothing but PVP gear was a status symbol and now we are left with PVE an easily obtainable PVP shells

I literally dont PVE. Ill do everything once .. maybe.. but the rest of the time is spent PVPing. I was proud of my "stat number". Maybe they can make a number system that shows up when clicking someone.. anything really to give it a point.

Edited by Kegparty

1) I understand the frustration from that and ha is haye I always believed that the Valor system needed to be put to better use which would be: (for simplicity sake stick with me)

a) you lose a warzone and lose half of what you would have earned by winning. ie: +10 for win and -5 for loss. Valor would then be somewhat of that inspection gauge you speak of. However, it does not mean they are very skilled players but neither did someone in full EWH.

2) Under no circumstance do I believe people should be rewarded with best top end gear for doing nothing but PVP. Should be close but not equal. But lets be clear, the best gear should be reserved for those who complete very engaging and skill demanding bosses. Its an MMO for gods sake you should be grouping with people to clear content to obtain this top tier gear. (yes I know PVP are groups too but you know the difference)

1) But lets be clear, the best gear should be reserved for those who complete very engaging and skill demanding bosses. Its an MMO for gods sake you should be grouping with people to clear content to obtain this top tier gear. (yes I know PVP are groups too but you know the difference)

Hard bosses?? You mean bosses your whole group needs to gear up to beat and get a system down for so that you can farm? Sorry but for me pvp brings variety. You dont know what people are going to do. Thats the difference from someone who PVPs vs someone who PVE and occasionally pvps

2) Under no circumstance do I believe people should be rewarded with best top end gear for doing nothing but PVP. Should be close but not equal. But lets be clear, the best gear should be reserved for those who complete very engaging and skill demanding bosses. Its an MMO for gods sake you should be grouping with people to clear content to obtain this top tier gear. (yes I know PVP are groups too but you know the difference)

Which is why most games with PvP content generally have items suited for and earn thru PvE and PvP content. This way the two worlds can remain different and allow the players in each to progress their character.

TBH, I strongly stand by that the best PVP systems I have seen used the same gear for PVP and PVE. This actually believe it or not required people to participate in a multitude of content and did not require time consuming grinds in both areas. It also allows a little more player creativity to the extent that a select niche of players are always going to min/max stats. I have not had anyone really explain to me the actual point of expertise or other PVP boosting stats except to serve as just a status symbol of he time you have devoted into that particular part of the game by creating a tier system. Now, these are strictly my opinions and I know many do not share it but there it is. I could write on and on but you get my point I am sure. And, of course....For the Empire...

LOL this guy doesn't even know what expertise does and thinks its just an epeen stat to brag about but tells us all we shouldn't worry about it.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

1) I understand the frustration from that and ha is haye I always believed that the Valor system needed to be put to better use which would be: (for simplicity sake stick with me)

a) you lose a warzone and lose half of what you would have earned by winning. ie: +10 for win and -5 for loss. Valor would then be somewhat of that inspection gauge you speak of. However, it does not mean they are very skilled players but neither did someone in full EWH.

There is no way PVE gear should be as good or even close to PVP gear/stat advantages in a warzone or open world pvp combat.

If you PVE'ers want PvP gear (or the advantage of better attributes for pvp) then you should grind warzones like the rest of us. That's like saying i should get a full set of dread guard because im valor 100??????? Makes no sense.

Open world pvp should also reward coms, valor, and coin imo. Kill an opposing faction player, loot his corpse fpr 50% of the coin hes carrying. Implement coin storage in your bank vault, etc.. Get caught walking around with 100mil on you, lose 50 mil in open world pvp. You will learn quickly not to carry all your coin in pvp areas.

MMO's are about collecting 'stuff' to make your toon better. In SWTOR there are 2 kinds of 'stuff'. pve which you get from HM content /ops, and pvp, which you get from open world kills or grinding warzones. Each type of stuff gives you an advantage in their respective arena.

Its bad enough cartel coins can buy you stuff, aka the pay to win model. I have no problem with appearance/stat free gear, but whn you base reputation achievements solely around pay to win cartel coins, you make my point for me.

Back to the point.....'work' or the time and effort it takes to achieve better gear, should never have that advantage completely removed in a patch, or replaced by pay to win. Deprecate gear over time, sure, but dont make all the time weve spent 'working' aka playing your game, amount to a giant waste of time, overnight.

LOL this guy doesn't even know what expertise does and thinks its just an epeen stat to brag about but tells us all we shouldn't worry about it.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Alright dude, sure you can make that assessment. But uh, I don't know what your implying mainly because expertise is not a hard concept. Actually if you mouse over the word expertise in character window you will find what it does. Now that the secrets out. Let me clarify something you obviously missed or I failed to convey properly. I was suggesting that in a game with gear shared for PVP/PVE that there is no use for expertise. This is because the main class stats are what makes your abilities stronger, faster or whatever. If you feel like you know so much about expertise and why its really even there than dismiss everything I said.

Hey everyone,

Our combat and PvP teams have been hard at work addressing the issues of naked Bolster and the itemization issues attached to it (like War Hero gear). Here is some very detailed information on everything we are going to be doing to address these concerns right from Alex Modny. If you want the basic info here is a quick synopsis, read on for the full debrief:

There is a very important note in regards to how the bolster system handles mixing expertise and non-expertise mods on a single item: The short answer is, you shouldn’t do it. The longer answer is, players are much better off than when they decide to make an item a PvP-focused item, they replace all of the mods inside it with expertise mods. The bolster system handles “PvP” items slightly differently than “PvE” items, and putting even a single expertise mod inside an item tells the bolster that the item is a “PvP” item. The result of this situation can be less than ideal for a player in either content channel, and certainly isn’t working as well as we intended. We continue to discuss fixes to this particular issue, but players can work around the problem by making sure they are either pure PvE items or pure PvP items. Note: This is only with mods on a per item basis, mixing different items on a full character is fine.

Okay, so all the Expertise was taken off the EWH/WH gear... except for the mainhand and offhand weapons. The +41 Expertise crystal is still in each. So.... what's going on? Does this latest iteration of the bolster system still penalize having Exp. in one slot and not the others, or not? If so, why didn't you replace those items when you stripped it off all the other gear.

This is a joke you give pve players the same level as a player with first level gear pvp. So now they have better stats than pvpers and get the same expertise as a pvper who took a week to get his gear. so you have pve players coming in with 30k hp and better stats and GET FREE EXPERTISE and now trash players with pvp gear because you cut our expertise on wh gear. stop giving free expertise. now your pve players will get gear faster than the pvp players because you unbalanced the game. now we have full pve players doing almost 1 mill a wz damage and healing and they get FREE EXPERTISE and pvp players get cut and are out geared. i have had one player full pve gear run 9 wins in a row and now has as much pvp gear as i do. took him just a few hours instead of days.

So just tried something. I have WH and EWH on my 50 scoundrel. Did some wz with this gear and then just for the fun of it, I bought on the GTM the cheapest piece I could. Guess what, it was better than my WH and EWH.......... I'm gonna try this on my 55 sentinel (EWH+WH+Partisant+conqueror) just for the fun of it. But anyway, just a question BW : Why should we waste our time getting pvp gear if the pve gear seems more viable in wz ????? This is a slap in the face of the pvp'ers and I would like to take this occasion to thank you for your good work ^^. So many wz and countless hour of grinding to get ''good'' gear when I could just wait 2.0 and buy my gear for about 15K.

P.S. : BTW, grinding to get the best gear is PART of ALL MMO'S (ok someone will probably say :''bla bla bla your wrong, that game and this game wasn't about gear and bla bla bla'' and so on and therefore prove me wrong on the use of ALL, so I'll say all mmo's I've played)

Edited by Malistrix

So just tried something. I have WH and EWH on my 50 scoundrel. Did some wz with this gear and then just for the fun of it, I bought on the GTM the cheapest piece I could. Guess what, it was better than my WH and EWH.......... I'm gonna try this on my 55 sentinel (EWH+WH+Partisant+conqueror) just for the fun of it. But anyway, just a question BW : Why should we waste our time getting pvp gear if the pve gear seems more viable in wz ????? This is a slap in the face of the pvp'ers and I would like to take this occasion to thank you for your good work ^^. So many wz and countless hour of grinding to get ''good'' gear when I could just wait 2.0 and buy my gear for about 15K.

P.S. : BTW, grinding to get the best gear is PART of ALL MMO'S (ok someone will probably say :''bla bla bla your wrong, that game and this game wasn't about gear and bla bla bla'' and so on and therefore prove me wrong on the use of ALL, so I'll say all mmo's I've played)

Maybe BW is trying to tell you "Hey buddy! The EWH/WH gear is no longer the top pvp gear. Cheers!". Go ahead and wear greens if it's better.

Now there are still issues with the bolster at lvl 55 pvp and the bloody relic slots and but soon as they fix it, hopefully people will stop crying about the obsolete EWH/WH gear being obsolete.

Edited by Darkshadz

I just wanted to let all of you know that I have been reading over the thread and am continually passing the feedback and questions on to the combat team. Some of the confusion I am seeing is around the removal of Expertise from WH/EWH and its relation to PvE gear. I am working with those guys on getting some math around it all to hopefully clear some things up.

I won't have any new information today, I just wanted you folks to be aware that I am actively watching the thread and working with the Combat/PvP folks on getting answers to some of your questions.

Thanks!

-eric

PS - If you haven't read some of our prior PvP posts in this thread and others it is possible your questions were answered there. You can view them here, here, and here.

The whining about WH and EWH gear changes should not be your main issue. Should focus on either fixing the bugs with the new bolster system or scrapping it all together. imo should just make a free max expertise recruit set and just scrap bolster at level 55 completely.

Stop using this damn baseless point.

There is still a better gear to grind to, it's called Conqueror gear.

Please, tell me about how you grinded for the best PVP-only gear between levels 10 and 49 before.

Sheesh, shortsighted fools.

This is a joke you give pve players the same level as a player with first level gear pvp. So now they have better stats than pvpers and get the same expertise as a pvper who took a week to get his gear. so you have pve players coming in with 30k hp and better stats and GET FREE EXPERTISE and now trash players with pvp gear because you cut our expertise on wh gear. stop giving free expertise. now your pve players will get gear faster than the pvp players because you unbalanced the game. now we have full pve players doing almost 1 mill a wz damage and healing and they get FREE EXPERTISE and pvp players get cut and are out geared. i have had one player full pve gear run 9 wins in a row and now has as much pvp gear as i do. took him just a few hours instead of days.

this ^

Free expertise - this is the main problem. A lot of expertise for people with pve gear.

The ranking you will see in effectiveness is WH < EWH < Partisan < Conqueror.

It's working for PvP WITHOUT bolster. But now with such bolster we get the following: WH < EWH < Partisan < Conqueror < all new PvE gear.

Stop using this damn baseless point.

There is still a better gear to grind to, it's called Conqueror gear.

Please, tell me about how you grinded for the best PVP-only gear between levels 10 and 49 before.

Sheesh, shortsighted fools.

1st you bought and used 2 +41 expertise crystals that are usable at level 10 STILL.....

then you start buying the level 34 pvp weapons to strip out the enhancements that STILL have expertise on them...

after you have 7 of those you start buying the level 38 weapons, then the 42s, and finally the 46s.

All the while you are doing this you upgrade every single armoring/mod/barrel/hilt every couple levels, of at least blue quality. You need to do this because ALL your gear is fully moddable (even the offhand). You did this, why? To be able to compete on a similar level that all those 48s and 49s were with almost all their abilities at hand.

You could do all this and STILL have maxed out rwz and regular wz comms by the time you hit 50. Quit trying to convince people there is no gear grind before max level. People that actually DO wzs considerably already know how to do all this. People that don't do a considerable amount of wzs just cry that the game is unbalanced and everyone should be on a level playing field. You want a level playing field? Go work for it like pvpers do.

Edited by painterwhit

the thing is, every pvper in this game has worked hard or their pvp gear and now its usefulness has been removed... i have a full set of armor that i might as well throw away because the expertise was removed from it and being that wh/ewh (61/63) is lower lvl then my pve gear there is no point in using it at all. I love this game but when i saw this i was ready to cancel my subscription (iv been playing/subed since beta). This is comparable to EA/BW removing the main stats from all tionese/columi/rakata just because its not the best gear in the game any more. Even if that was the case, i would still feal cheated becasue pvp gear is so much harder to come by than pve gear. i was happy to play WZs with my WH/EWH gear even though bolster had effed me in the A with my stats becase i had earned the gear and it was mine, not any more.

1st you bought and used 2 +41 expertise crystals that are usable at level 10 STILL.....

then you start buying the level 34 pvp weapons to strip out the enhancements that STILL have expertise on them...

after you have 7 of those you start buying the level 38 weapons, then the 42s, and finally the 46s.

All the while you are doing this you upgrade every single armoring/mod/barrel/hilt every couple levels, of at least blue quality. You need to do this because ALL your gear is fully moddable (even the offhand). You did this, why? To be able to compete on a similar level that all those 48s and 49s were with almost all their abilities at hand.

You could do all this and STILL have maxed out rwz and regular wz comms by the time you hit 50. Quit trying to convince people there is no gear grind before max level. People that actually DO wzs considerably already know how to do all this. People that don't do a considerable amount of wzs just cry that the game is unbalanced and everyone should be on a level playing field. You want a level playing field? Go work for it like pvpers do.

You missed the PVP-only part in my post, didn't you?

All those things you did were also getting some of the best PVE gear for that level. Besides the expertise power crystals, every mod you got and every augment you got also made your PVE effectiveness better.

So yes, there was a grind for gear at lower levels. But what you get was as effective in PVE as it was in PVP.

Also, there is still a gear grind at higher levels today. Conqueror is, reports say, still better in most slots than PVE gear is. Only debate using actual tests and numbers I see suggests that hilts and barrels are better when using PVE versions.