Wildstar has player housing and player cities... and SWTOR doesn't? C'mon!

OrionSol

Wildstar is a themepark and it has player housing. Player housing is not the exclusive providence of sandbox games. Neither are mini-games for that matter.

Basically anything you can imagine can be included into a themepark game, it's just up to the developers to want to implement it.

And finally it appears as if the devs of Wildstar want what the players want and are catering to that fact :D About time someone got that part right.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are suggesting a complete game redesign for player housing? It took them 3 years to make the game. I'm all for player housing, but it was not a part of the design. Incorporation would take years and with EA and all it's secrecy, would not let you know that they were even working on it until a few days before launch. Rescources are better spent on the "low hanging fruit." I'd love to see it, but it is likely years away (as long as they stop falling back on the "Your ship IS your house" line, that is).

Wildstar is a themepark and it has player housing. Player housing is not the exclusive providence of sandbox games. Neither are mini-games for that matter.

Basically anything you can imagine can be included into a themepark game, it's just up to the developers to want to implement it.

True, but I look at it this way:

I pay money and go to a Themepark to be entertained by the rides and the shows. I don't go there with the expectation of having to entertain myself - I can easily save myself the car ride and stay home to do that for free.

If my favorite Themepark expects me to keep coming back on a regular basis to spend money, then I expect new rides, new shows, and new furries that scare the bejezus out of my daughter on a somewhat regular basis. Painting the sidewalks to look prettier does not cut it. Adding a feature where I can pretty up the parking space for my car does not cut it - again, I can do that in my driveway, at home, for free.

I expect the money I pay to the Themepark to be used on maintaining the atmosphere and providing entertainment that I have come to experience. The same for a Themepark game. When I pay money for said game, I expect world to explore, missions/quests to complete, and Shineys to discover and uncover. And as such I want all development time and resources spend making newer and better versions of those things on a regular basis and not to be wasted on things I do not play the style of game for. When I pay money for a Themepark, I do so to enter the Themepark and be entertained by the attractions, I do not do so to sit in my car and admire how pretty I can make the parking spot.

I'd love to see separate sandbox style planets implemented more focused on things like "personal colour crystal extractors" for crafting. I'd love to see crafting extended in to something more. I'd also love to be able to creat emy own store and become a merchant again. Perhaps even jobs, like droid engineer etc. And definitely player housing like SWG style. I like SWTOR how it is now, it's fun, but to have a separate sandbox elements that worked like SWG did and I would love this game, if it were done right.

The short story of what I'd like to see:

Player housing with flexible customization - moving of furniture to where you want it, place your guns, sabers and armour where you like on your walls.

Improved Space combat - free to explore space, have encounters, mining etc. As much like SWG as possible. I do still like the rail system, but I'd prefer either to have both or free movement.

Crafting - More in depth crafting and farming with surveying and machinery to gather resources for you. (Hard to get, but better than sending your companion off "if it's placed in the right area")

Jobs - Droid engineer, creature handlers etc etc

yea seriously comon

Common guys, again.

Hey ISDcaptain,

I forwarded this along to our Lead Designer, Damion Schubert, and this is our current statement on Player Housing:

“We’re not saying never, but it’s not on our immediate roadmap. If we were to expand on this in some direction, we would first focus on improving the degree that players can customize their ship interiors, but even that feature is a ways down the road.”

We don't /Need/ playerhousing.

Edited by Magnusheart

Granted

This game Wildstar looks like someone who played WoW, took some mushrooms, had a bad trip and poodoo'd in a box and called it an MMO. Here is the thing... why does this POS game have player cities and housing and SWTOR doesn't ?

So, as you can see from their

Wildstar has Player Cities, that can war agianst eachother

and

it has player housing, and custimization

and SWTOR can't do this? C'mon DEVS! GIVE YOUR CUSTOMERS WHAT THEY WANT !

news flash not all customers want housing.... is it not enough you have a ship all of your own? Quit trying to ruin this game with what you think will save it.... Look back at ultima online.... that game after 3 years revolved around housing and that was it. I need not go into the biggest fail EA ever did with that game do I? You know the great trammel launch fail for housing? or the many expansions after that.. that all failed because of thier housing ingame?

Really if you want housing so darn bad.... go play sims 3 or hello kitty adventuyre island.

I think everyone has resigned to the fact that they will never see player housing in this game. Wildstar however looks like it will be implementing it very well.

In my opinion I believe that you should give Wildstar a chance, since it is only NCsoft that is PUBLISHING the game, they have little to no input into it. At least as far as I can tell anyway. Most of the devs of the game left Blizzard when TBC was at its peak. So you can guarantee they know what they are doing. Oh from what I have seen so far, Wildstar my be a free to play MMO, so no paid subs. Possibly a micro transaction store. Not 100% sure, but it is on the top 10 most anticipated free to play games lists of this year.

http://www.freemmostation.com/features/top-10-most-anticipated-free-mmorpg-games-for-2013/

If it's B2P (like the GW games), I'll probably check it out. Otherwise, I'll likely see how the reviewers treat it first.

I can also respect people who don't want or care about player housing. Very fortunate that if such things are introduced, they'll be completely free to ignore it. Simple, neh?

Common guys, again.

com·mon [kom-uhn] adjective, com·mon·er, com·mon·est,

noun, adjective

1. belonging equally to, or shared alike by, two or more or all in question: common property; common interests.
  2. pertaining or belonging equally to an entire community, nation, or culture; public: a common language or history; a common water-supply system.
  3. joint; united: a common defense.
  4. widespread; general; ordinary: common knowledge.
  5. of frequent occurrence; usual; familiar: a common event; a common mistake.

It's come on, man. Come on. What you are doing doesn't even shorten it.

Sorry, but I had to.

:cool:

Edited by Blackavaar

The thing is, SWTOR doesnt even need cities or houses....just give us a guild ship where each guild member can have their own personal instanced room and all will be good. Would have to allow a decorating ability for the room, or allow from a number of preset styles, but still, would be easier than house and cities....also, will allow us to be able to interact more as a guild...the way it should be.

I will even go as far as allowing there to be a instanced location on fleet where only guild members can access. will be like a ship but would still require guilds to be on fleet for interations with others ect ect.

The thing is, SWTOR doesnt even need cities or houses....just give us a guild ship where each guild member can have their own personal instanced room and all will be good. Would have to allow a decorating ability for the room, or allow from a number of preset styles, but still, would be easier than house and cities....also, will allow us to be able to interact more as a guild...the way it should be.

I will even go as far as allowing there to be a instanced location on fleet where only guild members can access. will be like a ship but would still require guilds to be on fleet for interations with others ect ect.

now this is a good idea here

NCSoft is the publisher. Don't hype yourselves. They can make anything sound awesome.

I was going to say the same about EA, but I see that you've already done that.

Anyway, in case people haven't seen it,

is the full video on player housing (and here is the
video on it, with more details), and here is the
for the game (there are also faction trailers and gameplay segments on their youtube channel).

Honestly, I'm most intrigued by the sense of humour, which the housing and guild-vs-guild build your own battleground type thing being icing on the cake. Also, judging by the devspeak video, the humorous aspects aren't just people saying 'hey, we should make the trailers funny, that'll sell'. The dev actually has a sense of humour. I'm optimistic, at this point. Might bite me on the ***, but oh well.

Why would you want a house if you have a ship? it's 132893849189491824417984129087498741 times better than any stationary shack on some boring rock.

We need ship customization, not boring houses.

Edited by Aelther

Kinda like the people who are tired of the "I want it so gimme gimme gimme" idiocy. - for my $$? Oh yeah! gimmie gimmie!

They are already in the lore - they are called Ewoks.

I'd prefer a planet full of anakin toddlers who scream "Are you an Angel?" when you kill them. Did ewok genocide on Endor in swg, good times.

Edited by MandraMoody

• 4 weeks later...

I think putting it down the road is a mistake. This is what I think should happen and why.

Our ship should be our housing IMO. But I think one of the problems with this is how the shard or instance works for your ship....everyone is in the instance, but you can only see you.

That means if you are in your ship, so is everyone else that is in that particular ship at that time. Allowing folks to add and change items to the inside of their ship could cause problems in the current engine. If that is the case, setting a single spot in an area where all ships could be placed, up to say 200 per server shard would probably solve this problem. This area would be used to change your ship interior.

The current engine used to decorate the world should be used to create a mini tool that can alter the ships interior...colors of walls, textures applied and the like can be done from a console, but for item placement an XYZ system with yaw, pitch and roll should be used.

IMO our ship should be our home. And customizing it opens up a world of casual content in the game.

You could quest for unique decorations. Craft them, grind to get that special trophy. Run achievements to get a special banner to display. Just some examples.

Oh cool, another cartoonish MMO. Just what we needed :rolleyes:

No thanks, I'll be sticking to games where developers actually care enough to make them realistic (e.g. SWTOR, Elder Scrolls, World of Darkness, TSW etc.) rather than trying out games that take the easy, Jak-&-Dexter way out...

Just my two cents.

What's realistic about going into a customization booth and changing your race instantly? Seems like an easy way out to me. Crappy, instanced player housing sounds right up Bioware's alley!

Edited by Dunzo

Because they didn't use WoW as the template for their MMO.

I wish we could customize our Ships and had a selection of other ships to choose from, and they would add Apartments a least to our Capital worlds.

Actually Wildstar is being mad by ex WoW developers. That's why the art style is similar.

Looks amazing and I'm definitely going to give it a try since it's sci-fi fantasy!! :D

It wouldn't be that difficult to do.

Option A would be to add new zones on current planet with pre-built housing player can purchase.

Option B would to revamp ships to allow player to customize them

Alot of games are getting housing these days. DCUO, FFXIV:ARR, Wildstar, even STO allows customize your ship interior.

That is the only iteration of player housing I've heard of that I actually like.