Wildstar has player housing and player cities... and SWTOR doesn't? C'mon!

OrionSol

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like many people have suggested BioWare just needs to extend and build on what they currently have meaning more customization and free form space flight.

This has been a hot topic debate ever since ships and the rail shooter mini game was announced in 2010.

I just hope that their success with the CM hasn't overshadowed their intent to create meaningful content.

In regards to WildStar I have to say that I'm impressed by the development teams approach to problem solving.

I'm one of those people totally against player housing in ToR, because of my memories of urban sprawl and abandoned houses in SWG.

But, with the concept of floating houses WildStar developers have given people a feature they want and taken it to a whole new level beyond what we've seen in games like SWG while removing the main downside, however they have the advantage of a fresh ip with no established lore whereas we have never seen floating housing in the Star Wars universe, (no Cloud City doesn't count).

While I've always seen you around on the forums, I was never sure if you were in the beta. Oddly enough, the game was very much building toward a lot of "sandbox-y" features in the earlier stages of beta. The "WoW-ification" of the game in the final year or so was quite disheartening.

I was not allowed to beta test because I am not American, this was back during the whole Red Zone situation.

I got to do a couple of weekends, but more closer to release when they included the rest of the world

A ship is a ship. A house is a house.

See the difference?

In MMOs, they are simply a place to store your stuff, and maybe lounge around once in a while. There is no fundamental difference between a ship and a house (other then the noun used to complain about it).

At least with a ship.. it moves from planet to planet with you.

This has already been discussed. and it is not happening any time soon.

This.

A lot of people want player housing in TOR and BW know it's one of many features people want. It's still not a high priority for them and so while I'm always happy to lend my support to it, I'm not holding my breath on it arriving anytime before 2015.

Exactly.

Hey ISDcaptain,

I forwarded this along to our Lead Designer, Damion Schubert, and this is our current statement on Player Housing:

“We’re not saying never, but it’s not on our immediate roadmap. If we were to expand on this in some direction, we would first focus on improving the degree that players can customize their ship interiors, but even that feature is a ways down the road.”

This has already been discussed. and it is not happening any time soon.

There's a lot of games that don't launch with player housing or maybe they never even attemot to add it years down the road. It's just one apect of fluff from a long list of things a developer might add but you won't find any game that adds every single thing. I personally couldn't care less because I don't take roleplaying that far.

Judging from a lot of posters here, you would think that Darth Vader was pruning posies in his Naboo cottage's front yard whenever he wasn't on screen. :)

You are not that far off.

Only it was pruning back the fingerbones of all those thousands of jedi skeletons that wouldn't stay burried...

BioWare made a straight single player story game with a bit of mmo and endgame grinding. After one year I have no hope this will change. They only fix the biggest bugs and fill the stupid cartel coin shop with recolored ugly gear. Edited by discbox

BioWare made a straight single player story game with a bit of mmo and endgame grinding. After one year I have no hope this will change. They only fix the biggest bugs and fill the stupid cartel coin shop with recolored ugly gear.

Initially. The latest things they've added, like the relaxed jumpsuit are entirely new items.

BioWare made a straight single player story game with a bit of mmo and endgame grinding. After one year I have no hope this will change. They only fix the biggest bugs and fill the stupid cartel coin shop with recolored ugly gear.

+1

then i watch the Wildstar video...I delete SW:ToR and now waiting Wildstar.Its seems pretty much better...

R.I.P SW:ToR

+1

then i watch the Wildstar video...I delete SW:ToR and now waiting Wildstar.Its seems pretty much better...

R.I.P SW:ToR

*shrugs*

For the past year every single mmo coming to the market has been hailed on this forum as the game that would cause SW:TOR to fold and die.

Yet the game is still here and doing about as well (again) as it did shortly after launch.

You do have to wonder though where the incessant need to see this game fail comes from. I can not think of any other game in the past decade that has such a dedicated following of haters that was paying a monthly subscription just to be able to tell the other players how much they hated the game and excpected it to fail 'any moment now'

Most well known, and even not-so-well-known MMO's have player housing. SWG had one of the.. No, THE best housing system in all MMO's I've played (and I've played A LOT of them). Everquest 2 for example, also SOE game, has a very good housing system as well, since the game launch over 7 years ago. And then there's SWToR which should have had such an obvious thing since the game launch and.. nope. Nothing. Even the "personal starship" isn't personal at all since we cannot design or do anything there, every jedi ship looks the same. Every sith ship looks the same. There is absolutely nothing personal in any "personal ship". They're bloody clones.

Seeing as BW missed the obvious, it's hard to even imagine when they'll get up and do it. Guild halls, personal houses both big and small, personal apartment rooms, really personal ships, heck guild ships.. Seeing how the things are going, BW will probably make these things to be a Cartel Store bought features, to boot..

*shrugs*

For the past year every single mmo coming to the market has been hailed on this forum as the game that would cause SW:TOR to fold and die.

Yet the game is still here and doing about as well (again) as it did shortly after launch.

You do have to wonder though where the incessant need to see this game fail comes from. I can not think of any other game in the past decade that has such a dedicated following of haters that was paying a monthly subscription just to be able to tell the other players how much they hated the game and excpected it to fail 'any moment now'

Good question.

I find it funny/ironic that most people dislike the game cause it resembles other games to much and isn't innovated enough. But then you have people calling for every feature in every other mmo to be in this one.

So which is it, be innovated or copy other games features? You can't have both.

And mark my words the moment WildStar comes out the forums along with user comments and the like will look almost like what we have here. Same with Neverwinter, same with Elder Scrolls Online.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's going to be bad, I even want to try it out. However it's an MMO, as I pointed out in another post when I was playing Ultima Online back in the late 90's til I quit the UO forums had post after post about how great EQ, AC and AO are and how UO could do nothing right. When I went and tried out EQ? Well EQ couldn't do anything right and should be more like UO, AC or AO.

SWG Pre-CU? Yes even with everything a good chunk of you love bring up every chance you get the SWG forums looked a lot like the TOR forums, at times worse... Good lord if something happened with the Village it looked like a full on riot on the forums. Oh and fun thing to point out? SWG Pre-CU, CU, and NGE? So many posts about why WoW is so great and how SOE should do what the WoW dev's do.

Oh and also again the MMO Community is falling into the wonderful trap they make for themselves every time a new game is coming out. They hype it up about how great and wonderful it will be, chances are WildStar along with ESO will get people proclaiming "WoW Killer" some time before they launch. It will come out and much like I've seen with every MMO that's not EQ or WoW, people will blast it for everything from bugs to gameplay, post long "I'm quitting and here's why" messages. The endless circle repeats yet again.

I think you're quite wrong about TESO. I think TESO is going to be a great game but then again, I love SWTOR and really didn't like WOW at all. Wildstar is not my type of game though I did look into it. I'll be playing SWTOR and TESO at the same time. I love Elder Scrolls games. Now back to the post, again, I want to sit down on my ship, lol.

Player housing is cool for like 15 minutes. I just got my place on Aion, painted, added some stuff and then I lost interest. Same with Rift. That had an amazing system, some really cool stuff yet I hardly played it after buying the expansion.

I think the SWG crowd puts way too much emphasis on player housing. If anything, it would be a RP type of addition. I see them putting something together with the Guild Capital Ships and letting us customize our own personal star ships than giving us player housing as most people describe it.

GW2 does not have an instanced house.

It sort of does, like if you're a noble human you have your own instanced "noble district" - where your character's house is.

Not sure if other races have it, but I believe they all get a version of it.

It sort of does, like if you're a noble human you have your own instanced "noble district" - where your character's house is.

Not sure if other races have it, but I believe they all get a version of it.

I wouldn't call that instanced housing and no the other races don't have it. I am a GW2 player too. I have several Norns, several Asuras and a human.

Edited by AlaricSevGirl