Official launch in Australia/New Zealand

StephenReid

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My view, FWIW (which isn't much :D ), is that once you accept the decision Bioware made to launch by territory, then decisions like these are actually well thought out, reasonable ones. What I mean is: rolling out further countries would depend on local agreements and the need to have local servers ideally. Now I fully understand a lot of people (including me) disagreed with that strategy but it's one that they're going with.

There was lots of aggro when more than half the world were excluded from the original launch, but I don't think it's reasonable to criticise every follow-on decision that links to the original call Bioware made to roll out by territory. For Aussie / NZ players - we've had Bioware take note of concerns and it's paid off.

Our compact territory from a marketing viewpoint also probably made it an obvious next launch area. And local serves? Even better ;)

... for real? Anyone know the reasoning for not choosing the Winter/Summer solstice as start of those seasons?
Because that doesn't make any sense. Why would you choose the longest day of the year to be the START of Summer when it should be in the middle?

Unfortunately, you missed your chance BW.

By not having Oceanic servers at launch, that means Oceanic players won't change from the US West servers they're on, even if Oceanic servers are designated. There's not incentive, and they'll have already put a lot of effort into their characters. Even if given free transfers for all their characters, there is still no incentive to move once they've established themselves on the server they started on.

The only incentive is if the servers are physically located in Australia... but even that is not good incentive. Most Australians can easily adapt to the small latency issues they have to deal with on West servers. Furthermore, the rest of Oceania doesn't necessarily get better connection to Australia. And because the Oceanic community doesn't want to split itself in half, chances are most Australian guilds/players won't switch (because their other Oceanic neighbors won't).

The better thing to do is just officially designate some servers as Oceanic (at least Harbinger and Swiftsure). It would save you a LOT of time, money, and hassle.

Edited by Kashaan

Great news!

How can you people still sit there and whine when they are already fixing the only thing wrong with this game... Queues.

They updated server population last night. There wasn't even a queue at 9:00! After logging in via remote access for 3 days in a row just to get in the queue, I am VERY pleased. The fact that we have a possibility of having LOCAL BASED SERVERS just makes me need to change my pants.

Thank you Bioware and EA! You don't receive enough credit for this amazing game you have created. People are only too interested in what benefits them. I think we are lucky to even be playing this game at all.

I will buy a collectors edition from an australian store on launch but will continue playing on US servers. My opinion is australian servers are a bad idea and have never worked for other major mmos in the past.

Worked pretty well for WoW. (They might not be physically located here but the principle is the same)

Regarding the Collector's Edition,

If you were to release that here in Australia and New Zealand, for those of us who have already bought the standard edition of the game from somewhere like Amazon, would we be able to buy the Collectors Edition and then use that on the account that we already have setup.

In essence will we be able to do a similar thing to the digital upgrade but with a physical copy of the game in order to get the exta stuff (soundtrack, journal etc.) available in the collectors edition.

Edited by Angarl

By not having Oceanic servers at launch, that means Oceanic players won't change from the US West servers they're on, even if Oceanic servers are designated. There's not incentive, and they'll have already put a lot of effort into their characters. Even if given free transfers for all their characters, there is still no incentive to move once they've established themselves on the server they started on.

The only incentive is if the servers are physically located in Australia... but even that is not good incentive. Most Australians can easily adapt to the small latency issues they have to deal with on West servers. Furthermore, the rest of Oceania doesn't necessarily get better connection to Australia. And because the Oceanic community doesn't want to split itself in half, chances are most Australian guilds/players won't switch (because their other Oceanic neighbors won't).

The better thing to do is just officially designate some servers as Oceanic (at least Harbinger and Swiftsure). It would save you a LOT of time, money, and hassle.

Speak for yourself and not the community.

I plan to move across as soon as its available. Heck ill even create a new character!

Local servers will be a good enough reason for players to transfer. Going down to 20-50ms latency will be amazing, especially for PVP.

Regarding the Collector's Edition,

If you were to release that here in Australia and New Zealand, for those of us who have already bought the standard edition of the game from somewhere like Amazon, would we be able to buy the Collectors Edition and then use that on the account that we already have setup.

In essence will we be able to do a similar thing to the digital upgrade but with a physical copy of the game in order to get the exta stuff (soundtrack, journal etc.) available in the collectors edition.

Yes - you can do this - Stephen Reid mentioned on a twitter post that you can "stack" subs and get the benefits.

Great news.

I'll be going where ever my guild goes. If they choose to stay, I'll stay. If they want to transfer, I'll transfer. After all, all that matters in an mmo is being able to play with people you like.

Re: Singapore concerns, isn't it only Optus that has major issues with latency? (ironic because Optus is owned by SingTel, a Company in Singapore?

I'm with Internode and my ping to Singapore is virtually identical to West Coast USA.

Good news for Bioware fans in Australia and New Zealand.

I just hope your planning and implementation of the local servers works out. There are so many pitfalls to avoid on this one.

As has already been suggested, you should really label the 2 current unofficial Oceanic servers "The Harbringer" and "The Swiftsure" as Oceanic servers now, and when you bring the locally based servers online in 3 months time, you just transfer the databases with no need for messy character transfers etc. It would save you a lot of hassle.

Good news, but I live in Asia, and I'm wondering if connecting to Australia will get me better ping or US. Right now playing in The Swiftsure I get 160-170 ms latency. I hope I don't get more than that if I connect to Aussie server :(

Does anyone know of a way to test my connection to Australia from my location?

lol, I was psyched to play an MMO with under 400 ping for once anyway

Soooooooooooooo amped for this. Way to go on spending the cash on Australian server hosting as opposed to being idiots like other developers who assume you'll stay on board regardless of progression damaging ping.

So keen to end game PVE this game, just dont balls that up and we will be sweet. :cool:

Good news, but I live in Asia, and I'm wondering if connecting to Australia will get me better ping or US. Right now playing in The Swiftsure I get 160-170 ms latency. I hope I don't get more than that if I connect to Aussie server :(

Does anyone know of a way to test my connection to Australia from my location?

Just use a speed test website. Or look at a world map. All about distance.

Good news for Bioware fans in Australia and New Zealand.

I just hope your planning and implementation of the local servers works out. There are so many pitfalls to avoid on this one.

As has already been suggested, you should really label the 2 current unofficial Oceanic servers "The Harbringer" and "The Swiftsure" as Oceanic servers now, and when you bring the locally based servers online in 3 months time, you just transfer the databases with no need for messy character transfers etc. It would save you a lot of hassle.

+1 internets to you my friend. I'd love not to have to transfer but have the whole server transferred over (if that's possible). That way I get to keep my names and not have to transfer 8 characters across.