Official launch in Australia/New Zealand

StephenReid

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this is interesting news.

Also for those struggling on Harbinger there is a second Unoficcial Oceanic server - The Jekk'Jekk Tarr.

You might want to level some characters up on it as it has shorter queues and then move them to the Oceanic servers in March.

It be better than waiting in Queue on Habringer

Bioware seem like they are bending over backwards to accommodate us and it just bugs me when I see people saying stuff like "meh i'm going to stay put blah blah i dont mind 200-300ms pings blah blah".

Why are so many people averse to change being a good thing?

Latency is negligible wrt MMOs, it only really affects FPS games where twitch is important.

I'm more concerned with EA/Origin/BW charging "Oceanic" prices, which EA/Origin did for BF3, and Steam aka Valve does despite exchange rate parity or better. I've already got a copy so I can't see a reason to buy the "Oceanic" version and I can't see a reason to pay for a server transfer as it is just another grab for money.

We are planning on actual servers located in the area. The final location is being locked down, but when we say 'local' we don't mean 'in the US but with a label'.

This... Is probably the best thing you've ever said.

As for "US server but with a label" We kinda did that ourselves already. I'm not sure if you noticed what happened on swiftsure... but yeah, that was kinda us. So the sooner we get Australian servers to play on the better :)

Hi Stephen,

I'd just like you to be aware that the location of the servers in the SEA region could be an issue for some ISP's. For instance if you were to locate the servers in Singapore, the routing of Optus (one of Australias largest ISP's) is through the US, which. would mean double the ping for those connecting to the oceanic servers over that of the US servers.

If you want more information on this you can check the Starcraft 2 websites, as they made this error when establishing their South East Asia servers, which resulted in a split between the SEA and the NA servers, halving the SEA Community.

Thanks.

10 bucks says they tight was it and put the server in singapore (which gives larger ping then what we currently have)

no aussies or NZ people with half a brain would xfer if thats the case...

the queues remain

We are planning on actual servers located in the area. The final location is being locked down, but when we say 'local' we don't mean 'in the US but with a label'.

I take back every evil thought I have sent in Biowares direction :D

As long as the move to the new 'local' servers is a choice and not forced, this sounds good though personally as I play with friends in the US I fully intend to stay put on the West Coast server i'm on.

* and like others have stated, if the "local" servers end up being in SEA instead of physically in New Zealand or Australia, pings will be higher than the US West Coast and most Oceanics will stay where they are (which a lot probably will anyhow which isn't a bad thing, 24/7 servers ftw).

Edit: I've back tracked and finally seen that this question was answered. Kudos Stephen!

Is this going to be like WoW local servers, ie hosted in the states, or actual physical servers located here in Australia?

oh, bonus points for actually going ahead with this so soon. If the servers are physically local I may move!

Edited by Talimar

If people are going to hang you up on semantics, I want to point out to them that March 1st would still classify as Summer in the southern hemisphere... ;)

Uh, Summer is December through to February. Autumn is March through to May. What is this "March is Summer" thing that you speak of?

Anyway, on topic; WOOOOO~ Actual local servers! ... As long as they aren't in Singapore (Where our ping doubles), that'll be awesome :D

If people are going to hang you up on semantics, I want to point out to them that March 1st would still classify as Summer in the southern hemisphere... ;)

Ummmm...where exactly?

In Australia, Summer is December 1 - February 28. Autumn starts 1 March.

We continue to look at all potential markets for the game - we'd love to bring the game to as many places as possible, but we don't have any official announcements on this just yet.

You made me loose hope im afraid. Since the release was for the mayor "vocal mayority" and they are getting local servers im more than positive that we ( latin america ) wont get one in MANY years to come... why? cuz even origin does not properly support us ( the store redirects to EU ) execpt for mexico and brazil and i will get better ping from US east that from mexico.

so.. ill continue to play in the us servers sadden by the fact that my friends will have to struggle to get the game and play with me.

Uh, Summer is December through to February. Autumn is March through to May. What is this "March is Summer" thing that you speak of?

... for real? Anyone know the reasoning for not choosing the Winter/Summer solstice as start of those seasons?

As said, we'll be exploring options to allow players from Australia/NZ who are currently playing on US servers to continue to play on their own local servers when they're set up.

That said, please be welcoming to those who are playing on US-based servers right now, regardless of where they are playing from. While I know it's frustrating to wait in queues, everyone's just trying to enjoy the same game - and everyone has the equal right to play on any server they wish.

You put my guild on Harbinger. I don't fault EA/Bioware for the Oceanic community choosing to use Harbinger as their PvE server. However, it has led to a situation where I have to make some choices which are not fair. To wit:

1) Do I abandon the character I started on the Harbinger, losing all the progress I've made;

2) Do I abandon the chance to play with my guild because I want to play at all.

Certainly you're right people have the right to play wherever they wish, but likewise, I had no choice in where you put my guild. I started on first day of early access so I didn't know the queues would be this bad. I'm stuck in a catch 22.

I would like EA/Bioware to consider folks in my position as I am not nearly the only one.

Just curious what the local distributors think about this whole thing. My friends all have the game already and any Aussie with a credit card, Pay Pal account has already bough their copy overseas and is gaming now. Thef fact two servers are full of Aussies/NZ's is testament to that. So the impact on loss of income from local distributors is already there.

Who are they really going to be selling to in March??

You put my guild on Harbinger. I don't fault EA/Bioware for the Oceanic community choosing to use Harbinger as their PvE server. However, it has led to a situation where I have to make some choices which are not fair. To wit:

1) Do I abandon the character I started on the Harbinger, losing all the progress I've made;

2) Do I abandon the chance to play with my guild because I want to play at all.

Certainly you're right people have the right to play wherever they wish, but likewise, I had no choice in where you put my guild. I started on first day of early access so I didn't know the queues would be this bad. I'm stuck in a catch 22.

I would like EA/Bioware to consider folks in my position as I am not nearly the only one.

Harbringer barely even has a queue anymore, the game was only just launched so give it some time.

Come over to The Swiftsure for a little while and see if you still complain about queues on Harbringer.

Pretty much HAVE to leave my guild of 160 people if I want to actually play the game. Transfer feature isn't even ready yet, WAY too many people immigrated to Swiftsure, and there won't be a real australian server until Spring?

Cool, way to think that one through.

Thankyou very much!!! Just what I wantred to hear. To some in this thread and others about to read, please read the whole of Stephen's post and get it.

He does not say: "You will get your own server where we will deport your character to"

"You will be no longer able to roll on any other servers"

"Get off our lawn"

"We are going out of our way to destroy your guild"

"We all sit at the coffee table in the office clutching our sides laughing as our elaborate prank of making servers, putting Aussie guilds on there, letting other Aussies on and putting Americans on there to to make massive ques comes to a nerd/impatient/tearful furition! HaHA! We did it just to get you, yes you, the angry American telling Aussies to go away."

"Obalma planned the whole thing with Gillard during his visit down here btw"

STOP LOOKING A GIFT SERVER(S) IN THE MOUTH YOU WHINERS

Edited by ShadowWes