Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

Funny, I don't recall you being elected the spokensman of the community. Speak for yourself and apologize for yourself if you feel like it. Don't do it for everybody.

I have words like Tatile's, and some other that I prefer to keep to myself.

Silly Wainot, you're supposed to be happy this is what they spent 18 months on. One throw-away character you'll never see after the planet per faction, behind a pay-wall. Come back in 2014 for when they swap it up so Pubs get M/M and Imps F/F.

Oh right, their goal is to do it right in future. Just like how Erickson said they'd do such in Makeb.

... not sure why you're supposed to be happy, actually. Especially since you've been in our little ghetto threads since the start, but I guess Johnny-Come-Lately thinks he's better than you.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They need to make it make sense..

do they? most flirt options are just quick one liners and maybe a cut scene, are the male agents discretions meaningful or well thought out? or are they just cheesy lines for some humor. even the marriages are very hollow and don't go past the final scene so why not one more cutscene for every class with the opposite sex and boom now your married you saved the galaxy together and fell in love.

like I said the companions are barely bioware companions in the first place who cares if I can say ****ty things to female officers and random npc's of both sexes

do they? most flirt options are just quick one liners and maybe a cut scene, are the male agents discretions meaningful or well thought out? or are they just cheesy lines for some humor. even the marriages are very hollow and don't go past the final scene so why not one more cutscene for every class with the opposite sex and boom now your married you saved the galaxy together and fell in love.

like I said the companions are barely bioware companions in the first place who cares if I can say ****ty things to female officers and random npc's of both sexes

Flirt options and marrying are two very different things.

I can probably flirt with a straight Vette, but she has the right to punch me in the face as a result. However, she wouldn't marry my female Warrior.

And yeah, Vette is one that I don't see likely BUT I'm not a developer.

EDIT: Of course, unlike my lightside Male Warrior, my Darkside Female warrior shocks Vette whenever she can... so even if Vette was open to SGR, she wouldn't want to :p

Edited by Bomyne

If this is really the best they can come up with after however long it took to develop Makeb, then I really don't see any hope for anything better in the future. I've tried to be patient, tried to take the previous statements of them promising better content at face value, but are really supposed to accept that we'll get something better *next* time?

This is just weak, very weak.

Both female questgivers for GSI on Empire were SGR options for my female Juggernaut. It's just not overt - you need to derail a conversation and specifically ask about that person for it to open up.

The same goes for the male/male Empire option I found. On one character I didn't ask about him, but on the other I asked who his master was and ta-da, [Flirt] option.

If you're interested in a character, ask them about themselves and you may find it is in fact an SGR option. Take a neutral, "all business" approach and you won't see them.

Saw a guy post this, so it makes me doubt the validity of the claims.

Dulfy already said that there are flirts for lesbian characters on the Imperial side. So did several other people. They're just not part of the main storyline quest. Probably the same for the flirts for males on the Republic side. Edited by duckieninja

So for the last year and nearly six months that these people have been pouring their hearts out for this cause, they should just accept this?

This....half baked version of it? I'm sorry. That's like only giving you an ice cream cone with no ice cream when you paid full price for an Ice Cream Cone, ice cream included.

I'm not going to say anything else because of how infuriating this is.

Can't say I'm surprised they did this tbh. Give it a year and we might see gay/lesbian companions for sale on the Cartel Market. Talk about a half-arsed job.

I want to confirm that what Dulfy stated is correct. I do want to assure you though that with any future SGRA releases it will be our goal to keep things more balanced across faction and gender.

-eric

What was the point of adding SGRA in such a way? Given the negative press (mostly from fox) about a Gay planet etc etc and for what. 2 and a half flirt options? Now I couldn't care less about SGRA, but for those that do care a blink and you will miss it dialogue option isn't going to mean anything while for those that don't want it will see it as a sign of the moral corruption of Bioware, despite it being such a tiny part of the game most people wont even realise when they have missed it.

So really was it worth putting in and making a big deal about this? More so given the hype of SGRA in the new expansion why was such added in so small a way. It gives the feeling that the development team is tiny and this is the best they could do with the resources? Is this really the end of any future chapters and TOR is pretty much over once the money from the ROTHC is banked we will only really see maintenance mode and Cartel updates? Cause I don't know which is worse that it seems like TOR is on money grabbing maintenance mode when it isn't or that it is in Maintenance mode and the team has been cut back so far Chapter 4 will be the end of the line.

I was thinking that if her Sorc was in a current romance with Andronikos (sp?), that it's possible the new flirt options didn't show up...we'll have to wait and see I suppose.

I was in closed beta, and my female JK was out and out married to Doc. I got the [Flirt] option all the time from the lady I rescued on Makeb. So, no, it ignores your companion affection/story.

Also, just as an interesting sidebar... there's a F/F SGR on Coruscant with an NPC affiliated with the Seeker Droid quests. So, not allllllll on Makeb.

Now that I’ve thought about this for a while, I’m OK with the fact that only M/M SGR is possible for the Empire faction and only F/F for the Republic.

Here’s why.

I think there were probably originally no plans for SGRs at all for Makeb. But at some point, for whatever reason, BW made the decision to include them after all (my guess is, they wanted to make some gesture to players who want SGRs). But at that point, development of Makeb was already far along, and so they looked for the easiest way to modify it to allow SGRs. I’m guessing that there was only one existing NPC candidate available in each faction – a female NPC on the Republic side, and a male one on the Empire side. So those characters were re-written to provide a Flirt option, and voilà… F/F for the Republic and M/M for the Empire.

I expect for the next round of story development SGRs will be in from the start, and BW will have more flexibility and we’ll see more balance.

If I’m right, then I’m left with a sense of gratitude that BW went to the effort (belatedly, to be sure) of starting to do right by our lesbian/gay community.

To Eric Musco and anyone else reading this thread,

I want to apologize on behalf of the LGBT community for posters like this. They are a very vocal minority, but they do not represent all of us. A work of fiction does not "require" there to be LGBT characters, especially if doing so would compromise the quality of the game or the storytelling. Claiming discrimination, mistreatment, or even false advertising is quite simply unfounded, especially considering BioWare is the industry leader and was one of the pioneers in bringing same-gender content to us, the gamers. Without your company's previous efforts the gaming industry would probably still be in the stone age.

I for one, am extremely happy that there are SGRA being added at all. Please do not allow such vitriolic posts as this to make you think that the community is ungrateful.

A sane person! OMG kill it it!

Anyway.! I agree full heartedly with the person whom I have quoted.

all I can say is this is a step in the right direction! now I have a reason to make that empire aligned male warrior I have been putting off for so long!

It's a bit odd that they made a faction-based separation like this, but honestly, who can bother to complain about something so minor as a potential fictional romance arc in a video game.

It may seem minor to you, but romances and story are significant selling points for all of Bioware's games.

So, yeah, having SGRA blown off initially was a big deal. Giving it short shrift in this expansion-well, I can't blame anyone who has been waiting and advocating for romances that reflect their own lives to feel kicked in the teeth.

This is extremely disappointing news.

don't you think some of you (on both sides of the issue) are over reacting just a bit?

granted I am not the most enlightened person on this topic, considering I have no personal stake involved.... (my primary interest in SGC is my inner Fudanshi (a male who enjoys ships men with men) is bored with hetero based romance and is seeking something new~)

that aside I don't understand the childish and overly entitled attitudes some of you (again both sides are equally guilty) are displaying!

I mean yes it a bit annoying for the sgc to be limited... but isn't a little incorporated at a time better then the developers giving you the middle finger and saying "No" to the issue period?

and as for those dead against it... Grow up! the world does not and should NOT revolve around you and your personal ideals! (and no bringing religion into this as that is no excuse for bigotry! and I say this as a member of one of the less tolerant religions...

there are all sorts of people in this world and they all deserve to be at least recognized! if you get a same gender flirt option,... IGNORE IT and select some other conversation option! after all no one forces you to go black screen with each het option!

This is extremely disappointing news.

That sums up my feelings perfectly.

I've been keeping an eye on this thread (and the previous ones) for a year now and was so excited when they finally confirmed that SGRs are still coming, but now this... I could understand the current companions and NPCs not becoming SGR because of voice acting and stuff, but to limit the upcoming content like this... it's just disappointing. I fear the Republic side will now be full of guys wanting to see lesbian action and the Imperial side going "ewww" when they notice the new flirt options. I hope this is just my own gut feeling, though.

Well, good thing that I was planning to level my male Bounty Hunter anyways. :rolleyes:

Even completely ignoring how bizarre this decision is (or at least, how bizarre it seems to me), try to explain it in lore terms for me: Republic has no homosexual males, and Empire has no homosexual females? Really?

The assumption you stated is flawed, just because there are no gay s on assignment in one place doesn't mean there aren't any at all.

While more interactions would have been nice, the real problem is they should have been dispersed throughout the game initially.

I'm not really interested in Makeb being some gay commune, and I am super not interested in everyone being bisexual.

I am not my sexuality, and I really don't want characters that are just their sexuality in the game, I want compelling characters that happen to be gay. Trying to force it like some kind of math equation won't really make quality characters.

Edited by MaximusRex

The assumption you stated is flawed, just because there are no gay s on assignment in one place doesn't mean there aren't any at all.

While more interactions would have been nice, the real problem is they should have been dispersed throughout the game initially.

I'm not really interested in Makeb being some gay commune, and I am super not interested in everyone being bisexual.

I am not my sexuality, and I really don't want characters that are just their sexuality in the game, I want compelling characters that happen to be gay. Trying to force it like some kind of math equation won't really make quality characters.

Agreed!

While it already seems there are SG flirt options in the expansion for both genders on both sides, I wouldn't have seen a problem with M/M one side, F/F the other side, with it being the planet quest givers.

Flirt options with throw away NPCs that are just that, one line, was never all that anyway. :p Flirt options with NPCs you actually see often is way better.

I however, don't see how no gay men in Republic came out of one NPC. That was backwards thinking.

I think there were probably originally no plans for SGRs at all for Makeb. But at some point, for whatever reason, BW made the decision to include them after all (my guess is, they wanted to make some gesture to players who want SGRs). But at that point, development of Makeb was already far along, and so they looked for the easiest way to modify it to allow SGRs

Well, I suppose it is more charitable to attribute to incompetence rather then malice.

But frankly? That's a lot of incompetence. ("Yeah, it'll be in it." "Oh, did you think we meant release? It'll be coming soon after, don't worry!" "Uh, maybe in a bit..." "Hey, we're going F2P, isn't that neat? Please be distracted." "Oh hey, we're doing an expansion, it'll totally be in there!" "Well, no, not as a companion, but it'll be there!" "Equal access? Um... yeah, about that...")

So whether you attribute it to incompetence or malice, I'm not sure you can gussy that donkey up enough to make me think it's a stallion.

Well, I suppose it is more charitable to attribute to incompetence rather then malice.

But frankly? That's a lot of incompetence. ("Yeah, it'll be in it." "Oh, did you think we meant release? It'll be coming soon after, don't worry!" "Uh, maybe in a bit..." "Hey, we're going F2P, isn't that neat? Please be distracted." "Oh hey, we're doing an expansion, it'll totally be in there!" "Well, no, not as a companion, but it'll be there!" "Equal access? Um... yeah, about that...")

So whether you attribute it to incompetence or malice, I'm not sure you can gussy that donkey up enough to make me think it's a stallion.

Or it was rushed to appease some players?

Or it was rushed to appease some players?

Odd way to rush it - you'd think with so few in the works, at some point someone could easily have reviewed the list and noticed, "golly gee, these sure are unevenly distributed". But I guess after a certain point, even MMO players can tire of pointing out quasi-improvements both careless and uncaring.

Edited by spookysage

It seems like there will be one romance, either for m/m or f/f, and a flirt for the other side.

Disappointing, but not totally unexpected I guess, since having two full romances per faction on this planet would be a bit much.

Still one full romance of one kind and at least a flirt of the other variety is better than having just insignificant flirts for all.

But I hope that this is only the first step and that in future updates , like the revisiting of leveling content to get rid of inconsistencies, some of the old flirts and romances with companions will be adapted for SGRAs and that future companions will offer a wider spectrum of options.

Odd way to rush it - you'd think with so few in the works, at some point someone could easily have reviewed the list and noticed, "golly gee, these sure are unevenly distributed". But I guess after a certain point, even MMO players can tire of pointing out quasi-improvements both careless and uncaring.

Well, how do you think they should have done it?

Just more one shot flirts?

Look at the other planets. Planet quest line, one shot missions, and class stories.

Should they have made it so the planet quest giver was the same gender as your character, and not just a male or female?