Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

I personally did not get any OGR options on either gender on either side in the new content. I'm not saying they don't exist, but I didn't see any. I also wasn't looking for them specifically. I'm sorry I wasn't clear. Edited by Druidsfire

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want the full story on this before I make up my mind. I want to know exactly what romance options are available to what characters, both OGR and SGR.

I suppose to be completely fair nobody can have the full story until they play it through after release. The devs might change things between now and then.

I personally did not get any OGR options on either gender on either side in the new content. I'm not saying they don't exist, but I didn't see any. I also wasn't looking for them specifically. I'm sorry I wasn't clear.

No, it's ok, thank you for the clarification :)

I must admit, I do like the idea of having to express interest in the NPC first to open up the [Flirt] options - sure makes the entire thing seem less unnatural.

Yes, Tatile, they don't just throw the SGR right in your face, you have to actually initiate the interest in the NPC on a personal level before the option shows up. And a major point in favor, one of the Pub-side SGRs not on Makeb involved a woman with an obvious disability and it didn't feel like someone going down a checklist to see what groups of folks to give a nod to. It flowed naturally in my opinion and didn't feel forced or tacked on.

I personally did not get any OGR options on either gender on either side in the new content. I'm not saying they don't exist, but I didn't see any. I also wasn't looking for them specifically. I'm sorry I wasn't clear.

Hmm, that's really odd. It seems strange that in an effort to stop excluding one group, it seems they've now excluded the other. Is it really so hard for them to cater to everyone all at once?

I mean, look, I'm not crying for OGR people who already have so much content or anything. But doesn't it kinda lend an uncomfortable accuracy to the protests that Makeb is "The Gay Planet"? Why would they not offer OGRs as well?

Hero-sexuality seems like such an efficient way to tackle this issue. Why would they not just remove the gender barrier to all romances in all content going forward? Why do they seem to be so intent on making it hard on themselves?

So now in order for us to have the lackluster options we've been given, OGR people have to go without? And they specifically designed these characters to give us SGRs and they didn't make sure the options exist for everyone?

This makes no sense.

I'm not all that outraged at the idea that they might have only had one NPC on either side that made sense as a romance option, but why would they not make that romance option available to everyone?

*sigh*

I get the feeling someone stuck OGR and SGR on opposite sides of a coin, and now can't figure how to do implement content without flipping it.

Joking aside, I've heard the the Republic romance is available for male characters as well, but that could just be hearsay.

I get the feeling someone stuck OGR and SGR on opposite sides of a coin, and now can't figure how to do implement content without flipping it.

Joking aside, I've heard the the Republic romance is available for male characters as well, but that could just be hearsay.

I hope that's the case. It'd make me feel a lot better about how it's being implemented. That said, if there's no OGR in the expansion, I'd be rather upset, even if I never choose OGR options anyway.

I hope that's the case. It'd make me feel a lot better about how it's being implemented. That said, if there's no OGR in the expansion, I'd be rather upset, even if I never choose OGR options anyway.

Just a tip, using latin in your support of sgra doesnt make people feel warm and fuzzy about it. The greeks/romans were sick sick people, and anything they ever had to say about the subject is kind of tainted.

Just a tip, using latin in your support of sgra doesnt make people feel warm and fuzzy about it. The greeks/romans were sick sick people, and anything they ever had to say about the subject is kind of tainted.

Um, that's a whole lot of culture you're throwing out the window on what comes across as a rather racist basis. Greeks and Romans were horrible people? Talk about a sweeping generalization. Even were that universally true, it doesn't remove all value from anything they ever said. It especially doesn't remove the value of a phrase just because it's spoken in Latin.

I honestly can't see how they wouldn't have it as OGRA as well.

It's more than likely there aren't any gender checks on the dialogue and that the dialogue itself is largely very neutral (with regards to species, gender and class) so that "everyone" can enjoy it.

It's more than likely there aren't any gender checks on the dialogue and that the dialogue itself is largely very neutral (with regards to species, gender and class) so that "everyone" can enjoy it.

I really hope so. I hope what you heard is true and there are just no gender checks. If so, it gets a "Yay!" from me just because of what it indicates for their attitude on implementing romances in the future. Sure, I still wish they had provided options of both genders on both factions, but that's not "just" an SGR issue is these romances aren't exlusively SGR, it's an issue with romances on Makeb at large.

EDIT: I should clarify - I don't hope there are NO gender checks, I wouldn't necessarily want all the dialogue to just generically ignore my gender completely. I just hope that the romances on Makeb are available regardless of PC gender.

Edited by Slaign

I really hope so. I hope what you heard is true and there are just no gender checks. If so, it gets a "Yay!" from me just because of what it indicates for their attitude on implementing romances in the future. Sure, I still wish they had provided options of both genders on both factions, but that's not "just" an SGR issue is these romances aren't exlusively SGR, it's an issue with romances on Makeb at large.

I get the feeling it would be an issues with romances in general, as Mr. Musco did say they would endeavour to make attempts at equality across gender and faction, in the future, starting at a non-specific time and for an indeterminate period.

But hey, at least by the sounds of it straight male characters don't have access to eleventy billion women they can chat up while the rest of us have five [Flirt] lines to share.

Edit-to-edit: Generic greeting welcomes you to this moderately acceptable place of average temperature! Enjoy your stay if you wish, non-gender-specific personage.

Edited by Tatile

I get the feeling it would be an issues with romances in general, as Mr. Musco did say they would endeavour to make attempts at equality across gender and faction, in the future, starting at a non-specific time and for an indeterminate period.

But hey, at least by the sounds of it straight male characters don't have access to eleventy billion women they can chat up while the rest of us have five [Flirt] lines to share.

Yea, now I'm just holding out hope that they go back and make all flirts available to both genders. I know that's a comparatively massive undertaking, but it should have been that way from the start in my opinion.

Edit-to-edit: Generic greeting welcomes you to this moderately acceptable place of average temperature! Enjoy your stay if you wish, non-gender-specific personage.

:D

Yea, now I'm just holding out hope that they go back and make all flirts available to both genders. I know that's a comparatively massive undertaking, but it should have been that way from the start in my opinion.

Yeah, I doubt that's ever going to happen. Doing the companion romances is "really hard" after all - changing random NPCs? I don't think Bioware would care enough (I mean, if they did it would have been in from the beginning, like you said) - they certainly wouldn't get any money out of it.

Mr. Musco said he had hoped there would be more news to give us after ROTHC drops, but it'd probably be along the lines of "You get one companion on the Pub side and one companion on the Imp, because we already made that decision before we found out people would be upset at us making the romances faction based."

Or I could just be swinging better snarky and bitter this evening because of a lot of sugar, caffeine and a possible form of depression. Whee.

Yeah, I doubt that's ever going to happen. Doing the companion romances is "really hard" after all - changing random NPCs? I don't think Bioware would care enough (I mean, if they did it would have been in from the beginning, like you said) - they certainly wouldn't get any money out of it.

Mr. Musco said he had hoped there would be more news to give us after ROTHC drops, but it'd probably be along the lines of "You get one companion on the Pub side and one companion on the Imp, because we already made that decision before we found out people would be upset at us making the romances faction based."

Or I could just be swinging better snarky and bitter this evening because of a lot of sugar, caffeine and a possible form of depression. Whee.

Well, honestly I'd be less concerned about the random flirts, I was more concerned with the current companions. I just wish I didn't have to create male characters to see the romance options I'm most interested in. I even like my male SW a lot, he's really cool. But he's not the kind of character I *want* to play.

Calling in all the voice actors for random flirts probably isn't even close to feasible, but I still hope they make the companion romances available to both genders.

Well, honestly I'd be less concerned about the random flirts, I was more concerned with the current companions. I just wish I didn't have to create male characters to see the romance options I'm most interested in. I even like my male SW a lot, he's really cool. But he's not the kind of character I *want* to play.

Calling in all the voice actors for random flirts probably isn't even close to feasible, but I still hope they make the companion romances available to both genders.

I'm hoping that when they say "really hard/difficult" for companion SGRA's, they're talking about making it available for those of us who may have leveled to 50 and/or maxed out companion affection for the bonuses (this being because the romance dialogue conversation are wholly separate from their personal storyline - as evidenced by the fact that you can do their storyline without engaging the romance on applicable companions and it's the same for those of the opposite gender and for those who have engaged the romance.)

For anyone interested in the female on female flirt options on the Republic, I have uploaded the entire Makeb story cutscene if you want to watch. (obvious spoilers). Flirt occurs near end of Part 2 and escalates at end of Part 8.

For anyone interested in the female on female flirt options on the Republic, I have uploaded the entire Makeb story cutscene if you want to watch. (obvious spoilers). Flirt occurs near end of Part 2 and escalates at end of Part 8.

I want to watch but I shouldn't :D

Thanks a bunch though!

It was just a thought on the no OGR flirts, one I doubted, but thought of the possibility of it. :)

In my experience, you can't judge what a person will play based on their gender. I know there are men who will only play men (And if they played a female, they quickly disregarded the character). I know there are men who play women strictly as there are men players who will play both. I know of women who play strictly women characters. I know of women who play male characters only (and not because of "I dont want to be treated as a female gamer or stalked"). And of course women players who play play both sexes on the characters.

This is why when I play a MMO, I always refere to the player by the gender of their avatar I know them by. I never ask for their RL gender (I just don't care), and will only find out if they say something in chat (which isn't always truthful anyways, as I've also seen the come out). I've also seen people refere to player self by the gender of their main and what thusly what the group knows them by (by both gender of players).

Which is likely why you hear the term Many Men Online Role Playing Girls as a way for the male players to feel as if they're protecting themselves. But then, if they didn't think to use a MMO as a dating service, what do they did to protect themself from? And if they're roleplaying, wouldn't it be the character concept that's important and not the player behind it?

My guess, I think BW will play it safe. I think we're going to see an equal number of OGR/SGR flirt options in all directions.

I agree with you about referring to someone as male/female based on their avatar gender. Everyone has their reasons for choosing to play a particular gender and its really not anyone else's business to judge them for that.

:wea_03::csw_r2d2::csw_bluesaber:

It doesn't seem any more strange or different than flirting with someone of the opposite gender to me (I am not Gay btw).

I think you misunderstand...I don't want to watch due to spoilers.

I plan on doing this content in game. But at the same time, I'm curious and want to watch it.

Edited by stuffystuffs

I think you misunderstand...I don't want to watch due to spoilers.

I plan on doing this content in game. But at the same time, I'm curious and want to watch it.

I try and satisfy myself with simply knowing it's there. Sometimes it even works.