Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

Don't really care about romances in a video game, but if they start making every companion bi-sexual, it's going to start breaking immersion, because the sexuality of companions should vary. A couple companions that might prefer the same sex, or both is fine. But if I start seeing it for every companion, i'm going to think that is just stupid. Not the end of the world, but I'm still going to think it's stupid.

As it stands there are 3 out of 20+ romanceable companions and 70+ total companions and they only exist in the very late part of the game. No need to get your knickers in a twist about being over-run by bisexuals :cool:

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think they need to allow flirts with all companions, but some might be like "Sorry, I don't like men/women" because, lets face it... It's not always obvious when someone is straight or gay or bi or pan or maybe they don't like labels.

Yeah I don't mind if the NPC/companion turns you down, but it makes sense to at least let your character try. In real life I could attempt to hit on anyone I wanted from a gorgeous celebrity to a 90 year old grandmother. Doesn't mean they'll say yes but there's nothing stopping me from trying lol.

Personally, I think they need to allow flirts with all companions, but some might be like "Sorry, I don't like men/women" because, lets face it... It's not always obvious when someone is straight or gay or bi or pan or maybe they don't like labels.

I personally would like to see a comp that only dates within their race or prefers a certain race. Like in Dragon Age: Inquisition, you had elves that were only attracted to elves. I think a companion with a fleshed out personality like that is always cool.

I personally would like to see a comp that only dates within their race or prefers a certain race. Like in Dragon Age: Inquisition, you had elves that were only attracted to elves. I think a companion with a fleshed out personality like that is always cool.

That would be awesome <3 too bad the game doesn't even recognize your race most of the time (unless you're a Chiss agent!).

That would be awesome <3 too bad the game doesn't even recognize your race most of the time (unless you're a Chiss agent!).

Yeah, it's pretty much 'human' or 'alien' with cyborgs counting as humans.

Even worse is playing a Cathar and Aric Jorgan, a Cathar, tells you that you and he can't have children because you're not a cathar.

Don't really care about romances in a video game, but if they start making every companion bi-sexual, it's going to start breaking immersion...

Oh yeah, THAT will break immersion. :rolleyes:

Excuse me, I need to pace back a forth for a few seconds to walk off the massive blaster and grenade injuries I suffered in this fight where I shot lightning from my fingertips. :rolleyes:

I got two same sex flirt opportunities with Kaliyo. The second time, in the cantina on Odessan, she says,

"I'm getting too old for head games, and that's pretty much all I'm good for with women." It seems like a rather fine distinction, since she plays non-stop head games with men as well, but there you are. Having always read her as bi-sexual, the refusal came as a surprise.

Edited by Scotwest

Excuse me, I need to pace back a forth for a few seconds to walk off the massive blaster and grenade injuries I suffered in this fight where I shot lightning from my fingertips. :rolleyes:

it would start breaking immersion, as far as companion relationships go. If you cannot see why, then I do not know what to tell you.

Edited by cool-dude

Yeah, it's pretty much 'human' or 'alien' with cyborgs counting as humans.

Even worse is playing a Cathar and Aric Jorgan, a Cathar, tells you that you and he can't have children because you're not a cathar.

Yeah, that part with Jorgan drove me nuts >.< there are other parts in various classes where your race would be relevant (like a cyborg Trooper on Coruscant during that cyborg quest) but is disappointingly not recognized :(

it would start breaking immersion, as far as companion relationships go. If you cannot see why, then I do not know what to tell you.

You personally let the option to choose same sex flirts bother you and break your immersion but does it bother you and break your immersion that every female companion in the base game is romanceable? It seems like something that would be "immersion breaking as far as companion relationships go." Things that break immersion/suspension of disbelief for me are things like the Jedi order not kicking out a 100% DS JC or JK, Darth Baras being ok with you sending Nomen Karr back to the Jedi for healing and redemption rather than killing him, Jaessa being willing to romance a SW that murdered her parents, Arcann falling 400 feet and walking away from it without a scratch, a crew of 4 people being able to fly the massive Gravestone, and so on. If you don't want to see S/S content then don't pick the flirts, easy. I don't want to see my character being evil and cruel so I don't pick those options and the option to be an evil monster being present in the game for those who want it doesn't bother me at all, choice is great.

You personally let the option to choose same sex flirts bother you and break your immersion but does it bother you and break your immersion that every female companion in the base game is romanceable? It seems like something that would be "immersion breaking as far as companion relationships go." Things that break immersion/suspension of disbelief for me are things like the Jedi order not kicking out a 100% DS JC or JK, Darth Baras being ok with you sending Nomen Karr back to the Jedi for healing and redemption rather than killing him, Jaesa being willing to romance a SW that murdered her parents, Arcann falling 400 feet and walking away from it without a scratch, a crew of 4 people being able to fly the massive Gravestone, and so on. If you don't want to see S/S content then don't pick the flirts, easy. I don't want to see my character being evil and cruel so I don't pick those options and the option to be an evil monster being present in the game for those who want it doesn't bother me at all, choice is great.

I think it's immersion breaking that every female character wants my character...Always thought it was stupid. And I agree with you about Jaesa, which is why I always go lightside with her. But, it's not the dialogue I care about. I just think the characters in the game should have their own set of opinions and preferences...and they should vary. i think Dragon Age: Inquisition did well at this, because each companion had their own deep story, and you had some that were straight, some that were bi, some that were straight/bi, but weren't attracted to this or that race, a couple that were gay, and that is what I want. For a lack of a better term, it is a more realistic interpretation of getting a bunch of people together.

Edited by cool-dude

Bralova, my Juggernaut who just did Chapter 10 today, got two opportunities to flirt with Kaliyo, once in her apartment, and again in the cantina. She didn't take any choices.

And apparently, according to xLetalis' video of a dark side female Inquisitor flirting with Kaliyo in the cantina, Kaliyo doesn't like girls. Yet I'm 1000% she and Anspi'shel nearly kissed, and the merc chick was an ex-girlfriend.

I ran through it last night with my F!Trooper and decided to take both flirting options (because I viewed it as my Trooper being sarcastic). Here's the gist of what I got:

My F!Trooper, who is pretty firmly neutral alignment, opted to let Kaliyo blow up the Spire herself. When I went to talk with Kaliyo in the Cantina afterward, I chose the flirt option purely out of curiosity, and she basically gave the spiel about how she's "only good with head games" so far as women are concerned, but admitted she was starting to like me. I wouldn't take much stock in it because Kaliyo messes with everyone's heads, tbh.

Also, my Trooper romanced Jorgan. Yeah... Whether or not that will lead to something in the next chapter is anyone's guess.

Either way, I'm pleased they are (apparently) allowing you to S/S flirt with the vanilla LI companions to an extent, even if you might get shot down at the end. Guess we'll see if this continues with Aric Jorgan in the next chapter.

Edited by MetaRayMek

I got two same sex flirt opportunities with Kaliyo. The second time, in the cantina on Odessan, she says,

"I'm getting too old for head games, and that's pretty much all I'm good for with women." It seems like a rather fine distinction, since she plays non-stop head games with men as well, but there you are. Having always read her as bi-sexual, the refusal came as a surprise.

Is it possible to romance her as a new male character? I've heard that

only a male agent with an existing relationship can have any kind of romantic connection with her - a male agent who didn't romance her or, say, a male Sith warrior gets shot down after flirting same as a female character. If true, perhaps she's simply getting too old for head games with anyone. And I don't think Kaliyo, especially one who didn't romance the Agent, would even know how to start trying to do anything else.

Is it possible to romance her as a new male character? I've heard that

only a male agent with an existing relationship can have any kind of romantic connection with her - a male agent who didn't romance her or, say, a male Sith warrior gets shot down after flirting same as a female character. If true, perhaps she's simply getting too old for head games with anyone. And I don't think Kaliyo, especially one who didn't romance the Agent, would even know how to start trying to do anything else.

It is not possible to start a romance as a male character. She uses essentially the same line, that all she's good for is head games. The problem is they have distinct lines for women where she says she's only good for head games with women when they could have used the same line as men get and left her ambiguously bisexual.

I imagine that will be the trend for old LIs. You might be able to flirt but they'll reject anyone who didn't go through the romance in vanilla.

I am glad. I mean. Its great that we recieved several bisexual characters to romance, but come on. It does not mean that EVERYONE has to be bisexual.

And where did you get the impression that everyone was...?

13 straight romances (not even counting the multitude of one night stands you can have, straight only) vs 3 Bisexual romances, one gay NPC and a few bisexual NPC flirts... take into account there are billions and billions of people living in the galaxy... Pardon me while I do the math...

... Nope, not seeing how everyone is bisexual.

And where did you get the impression that everyone was...?

13 straight romances (not even counting the multitude of one night stands you can have, straight only) vs 3 Bisexual romances, one gay NPC and a few bisexual NPC flirts... take into account there are billions and billions of people living in the galaxy... Pardon me while I do the math...

... Nope, not seeing how everyone is bisexual.

Pretty sure the player is talk about just the flirtable companions. :p

That said, this disappoints me a bit. Not because Kaliyo isn't romancable to female pcs, but because I hope BW isn't of the idea to keep the original LIs romanced only by the original class.

Would hate to see all the original LIs are only able to be romanced by the original classes, when BW's thought process is "Keep it all to one storyline now"

Shooting lightning from fingertips does not break immersion when that's part of the story :p

Surviving blaster and grenade injuries as they do in TOR may be, when that's more of a game mechanic. :p

Yeah I don't mind if the NPC/companion turns you down, but it makes sense to at least let your character try. In real life I could attempt to hit on anyone I wanted from a gorgeous celebrity to a 90 year old grandmother. Doesn't mean they'll say yes but there's nothing stopping me from trying lol.

Agreed! Also makes the love/hate with the turn downs. You hate that it happens if you like the character, but love that they can happen :)

From what I learned, female Agents are the only ones that can't at least flirt with Kaliyo, right? I'm just curious. Can anyone confirm?

Risha is probably the only other relevant example of a companion any of my PC's would make an effort to flirt with, but it's still better to know what options to prepare for.

Edited by OldVengeance

I also do hope that they don't keep the romances only possible for the same class that companion belonged to, keep stuff interesting lol Also Bio-ware why did you let us start romantic relationships with Theron, Koth, Lana etc. when you don't have anymore romance discussions with them in each new chapter you release ? What i mean like they are all just normal discussions no flirts or so, i do hope you made us do this for a reason and not just for looks. It would be interesting to contain some romance dialogues with the new people in KOTFE such as Theron, Lana, Koth etc. :p Why start a romantic relationship if we don't get anything out of it ? xP

Theron Shan = Love <3

Edited by JessicaWolf

I also do hope that they don't keep the romances only possible for the same class that companion belonged to, keep stuff interesting lol Also Bio-ware why did you let us start romantic relationships with Theron, Koth, Lana etc. when you don't have anymore romance discussions with them in each new chapter you release ? What i mean like they are all just normal discussions no flirts or so, i do hope you made us do this for a reason and not just for looks. It would be interesting to contain some romance dialogues with the new people in KOTFE such as Theron, Lana, Koth etc. :p Why start a romantic relationship if we don't get anything out of it ? xP

Theron Shan = Love <3

Agreed. Not seeing anything with Lana on my first play through, didn't give me any hopes for running through on my other with Theron.

From what I learned, female Agents are the only ones that can't at least flirt with Kaliyo, right? I'm just curious. Can anyone confirm?

Risha is probably the only other relevant example of a companion any of my PC's would make an effort to flirt with, but it's still better to know what options to prepare for.

From what I read in another thread, they can, she just turns them down like everyone else.