Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

Just one of many war crimes a dark-side Trooper can commit.

SO let's go over this again so we all get it straight about what is and isn't acceptable in Star Wars:

So rape- OK;

genocide- OK;

killing helpless prisoners?- OK

Sleeping around with millions of women in the smuggler story? OK

Double that as an agent AND use it to get information? - OK

Kill a young teenager as a Sith?- OK

Space station that can blow up an entire planet, and did? We're there!

Father who tortures his daughter, and cuts his own son's hand off?- Man those scenes were awesome

Sister kissing her own brother?- To each their own, right?

A man falling in love with a man, or a woman falling in love with a woman?- That's bad, unacceptable, and offensive and we should be able to toggle it off in the preferences in a Star Wars Video game.

... Alright, got it.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just one of many war crimes a dark-side Trooper can commit.

Can you name the specific instance of the player being able to rape someone(I feel like BioWare would never let the player do this) or blow up a planet (I don't remember seeing this)?

No.

Asking for a toggle, while it may or may not be implemented as a result, is not 'a form of discrimination' by any stretch of the imagination. Nor can it be claimed to be such. Sexuality, like violence, blood, bad language and things of that nature, falls under the umbrella of mature content that can result in requiring parental controls. As such it is a very valid request. One which many online games already have implemented. Need I point out that this game is accessible to those 13 and older. A company has to be careful about what minors are exposed to, as parental complaints regarding minors can get ugly real quickly.

That being said, the idea of a company trying anything as stupid as accusing anyone of 'discrimination,' let alone warning or banning someone for asking for a parental control for mature content, is absurd. That is the kind of thing that gets a company in all kinds of trouble. Start throwing false accusations of discrimination and sanctioning accounts because someone asked for a parental control regarding mature content and see how fast that customer reports you to the state attorney general and for violations of consumer protection laws, among other things.

Now, thats not to say that they would bother to implement a toggle, but to claim bioware would be so foolish as take any kind of negative action against a customer for making a legitimate request for one, particularly one that could very easily get them into serious legal trouble, is all kinds of crazy.

So if I asked for a toggle to erase all black people from the game, and any possibility to create a black character would that be discrimination or would that be a reasonable thing to ask for?

You've seen the Disney movie Cinderella right? It's rated PG, the most sexually graphic thing that happens is that she kisses the prince. That's exactly the highest level of graphic sexual content that happens between same-sex couples (or any couple) in SWtOR. A child isn't going to be traumatized by seeing two people give a chaste kiss. There are a lot of seriously disturbing things in this game including slavery, genocide, torture, racism, and murder. Any decent parent would keep their young child from playing SWtOR because of those things, not because of an optional kiss. I also don't think it's the 13-17 year old children who are being traumatized by same-sex flirting, but rather the old people who are set in their ways and easily scandalized.

As others have stated, asking for a toggle to get rid of all gay people or the possibility of being gay from the game is against the forum rules. Besides, if one was actually serious rather than trolling, they would write BioWare rather than posting in a fan thread to get a rise out of the people there.

Edited by Nefla

Can you name the specific instance of the player being able to rape(I feel like BioWare would never let the player do this) or blow up a planet (I don't remember seeing this)?

Male troopers on Tatooine can coerce a woman into having sex with them in repayment for saving her.

Imperials on Makeb can exterminate all life on the planet including millions of civilians at the end of the Imperial storyline on Makeb.

A man falling in love with a man, or a woman falling in love with a woman?- That's bad, unacceptable, and offensive and we should be able to toggle it off in the preferences in a Star Wars Video game.

... Alright, got it.

Whoa whoa whoa!

I'm sure that the poster is okay with the F/F side of things :p

Whoa whoa whoa!

I'm sure that the poster is okay with the F/F side of things :p

My apologies!!!!

Woman loving another woman- Got pictures???

Man loving another another man- It's bad, unacceptable, and offensive and we should be able to toggle it off in the preferences in a Star Wars Video game.

Cause you know, Lana and some gal should be allowed to make out, but not Theron and some guy. We wouldn't want that!

But Satele and Theron making out?? We're probably still there too.

My apologies!!!!

Woman loving another woman- Got pictures???

Man loving another another man- It's bad, unacceptable, and offensive and we should be able to toggle it off in the preferences in a Star Wars Video game.

Cause you know, Lana and some gal should be allowed to make out, but not Theron and some guy. We wouldn't want that!

But Satele and Theron making out?? We're probably still there too.

Gotta keep that bloodline undiluted in case we need another Revan.

General Rules and Guidelines

To keep the Service a compliant, fun, fair and safe gaming environment for everyone, you may not engage in any of the following behavior:

Post, transmit, promote, or distribute Content that is illegal or promote or encourage any illegal activity including hacking, cracking or distribution of counterfeit software. (See also “Mod, Hack and Cheat Prohibitions” below).

Upload or attempt to distribute files that contain viruses, corrupted data, or malicious software.

Harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything to another player that is unwanted. This includes posting insulting, offensive, or abusive comments about players, repeatedly sending unwanted messages, attacking a player based on race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc. Hate speech is not tolerated. (See also “Harassment Policy” below.)

Create character names or otherwise transmit or facilitate distribution of Content that is harmful, abusive, racially or ethnically offensive, vulgar, sexually explicit, defamatory, infringing, invasive of personal privacy or publicity rights, or objectionable in a reasonable person's view. (Also see “Naming Policy” below.)

“Trolling,” which we define as posts or threads that knowingly lead to overly strong, negative, and emotional responses for mere shock value, is not allowed on the Service. Accounts created with the sole intent to “troll” will be immediately and permanently suspended. Constant personal attacks are also considered trolling. (See also “Forum Guidelines” below.)

^i do know the terms of service...you enjoy being treated with dignity and respect, so do I! Treat others as you wish to be treated; be thankful I've shown an example of patience and love enough for everyone to not try and diminish them with petty taunts and insults. "Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you."

“Trolling,” which we define as posts or threads that knowingly lead to overly strong, negative, and emotional responses for mere shock value, is not allowed on the Service. Accounts created with the sole intent to “troll” will be immediately and permanently suspended. Constant personal attacks are also considered trolling. (See also “Forum Guidelines” below.)

..and you so helpfully quoted what is considered ''trolling'' ...but...did you honestly expected to receive anything else with asking for a sgr toggle?....at least make it a romance (as a whole) one....:)

...but I hope that there are no negative consequences for you since you at least are polite and all that and that's refreshing:)

''trolling'' ...but...did you honestly expected to receive anything else with asking for a sgr toggle?

I cant say as i expected an admission of trolling from anyone, it does leave me a bit concerned in the respect of equal treatment. As much as Im demanded to respect your preference, I would assume the community would in turn grant the same as they demand. Instead Im labeled a bigot for my best efforts at tolerance! Its like you guys are used to getting away with treating people like this without consequences...and thats a very unwelcoming portrayal of a community. One most would hope you would rise above in this day and age.

I cant say as i expected an admission of trolling from anyone, it does leave me a bit concerned in the respect of equal treatment. As much as Im demanded to respect your preference, I would assume the community would in turn grant the same as they demand. Instead Im labeled a bigot for my best efforts at tolerance! Its like you guys are used to getting away with treating people like this without consequences...and thats a very unwelcoming portrayal of a community. One most would hope you would rise above in this day and age.

"I just want to be able to not see any hint of the gays" - quite tolerant indeed. If we were talking about something like Kirby or Bubble Bobble, you'd have a point. Trying to call escapism from the real world doesn't work, however, when the game has murder, slavery, torture, genocide, doomsday cults, sex workers... the second or third quest on a starter planet is whether or not to shoot someone in cold blood, in front of his pre-teen son. But I can see how that's harmless, escapist fun.

^i do know the terms of service...you enjoy being treated with dignity and respect, so do I! Treat others as you wish to be treated; be thankful I've shown an example of patience and love enough for everyone to not try and diminish them with petty taunts and insults. "Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you."

Until we have another gold post on the subject, this is the rule we've been instructed to follow:

Amber already came in and talked about cleaning the thread up a bit but I am going to be closing this thread. We are also going to be removing all further threads talking about an SGRA toggle being implemented into the game.

I will personally apologize as this was my error. My hope was that a topic like this could allow for constructive discussion on the inclusion, or lack there of, for SGRA. Unfortunately as we have mentioned previously, including an SGRA toggle is discriminatory and these topics quickly devolve into arguments of the social and moral nature, which have no place on the forums.

This was the statement we made before, which still remains true today:

As a gentle reminder: Discussion of the implementation of toggles to filter same gender romance options is considered discriminatory language and is neither appropriate nor allowed on the forums. Posts along this vein of discussion will be removed.

BioWare have already made their stance clear, and they do not agree with you; asking for an SGR toggle is considered discriminatory. Let's move on.

Thats unfortunate. It seems having religion in the TOS was an over-site as well. Since to allow for one point of view and not the other, after reading the TOS promise of protection from discrimination of my own beliefs, it was misleading to me. It makes sense why I was mistreated so much now, its already been established by the company that one side will only be favored, the other forcibly rejected....a shame I cant get a refund. :(

EDIT: SelinaH, I also thank you for sharing this with me, as a polite share of the ruling.

Edited by CatStar

If only...

As I prefer Theron making out with this guy: http://www.darthnoxaeterna.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/swtor-2014-12-07-04-21-07-29_1.png

But in all seriousness I hope not the only one who fails to see the logic behind some people.

Brother, is that you? http://i.imgur.com/FvY45nk.png :D

But yeah it's obvious to me now that the guy is just a skilled troll. If his objections were actually based on religion, then he would be asking for a toggle that takes away the option to murder, steal, have pre-marital sex, etc...which he did not.

Edited by Nefla

Brother, is that you? http://i.imgur.com/FvY45nk.png

But yeah it's obvious to me now that the guy is just a skilled troll. If his objections were actually based on religion, then he would be asking for a toggle that takes away the option to murder, steal, have pre-marital sex, etc...which he did not.

Whoa... Maybe... Crim could use a long lost brother :D