Clickers.

TwitchingFiber

I'm a clicker mainly because im used to it. Ive configured my hotbars as i find easiest to use with everything that needs to be grouped, grouped. Ive become that used to how my abilities are spaced that i don't even have to take my eyes off the action or travel from one side of the screen to the other to hit something thats needed.

I gave keybinding a go for just over a week (to give myself chance to get used to it) and i found myself performing exactly the same way.

Due to knowing the layout like the back of my hand it just takes a flick of the wrist to hit an ability as it would take my finger to adjust / press.

As many have said, its all down to the player. Some people hit a wall with how fast and accurate they are at clicking.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good PvE players don't click (unless you are a healer and clicking the ops frame). 6 button rotation can be done on 1 - 6 with aoe/circumstancial moves on things like Q, E, T, F, G, etc and it increases your speed because you press the button as soon as it's off cd, having to move the mouse over and clicking will cost you 0.25-0.5 seconds

And 0.25-0.5 seconds to click affects you how exactly during the 1.5 second global cooldown? The first 1.0 second of the Global Cooldown won't even register whatever you click or press, except for 1 or 2 specific abilities per class that ignore it and which fit easily into the 5 or 6 keybinds I'd suggest people to actually do learn. So you get a whole second to bring your mouse in position for an ability before you can even click it.

Some people aren't comfortable with keybinding, so this game allows them to click.

Some people aren't comfortable with clicking, so this game allows them to keybind.

Some people are somewhere inbetween, so this game allows them to hybridize.

And seriously, this game doesn't really give any of those any kind of advantage, except maybe the Hybridizers who get the best from both worlds.

I'm a clicker mainly because im used to it. Ive configured my hotbars as i find easiest to use with everything that needs to be grouped, grouped. Ive become that used to how my abilities are spaced that i don't even have to take my eyes off the action or travel from one side of the screen to the other to hit something thats needed.

I gave keybinding a go for just over a week (to give myself chance to get used to it) and i found myself performing exactly the same way.

Due to knowing the layout like the back of my hand it just takes a flick of the wrist to hit an ability as it would take my finger to adjust / press.

As many have said, its all down to the player. Some people hit a wall with how fast and accurate they are at clicking.

Good to hear, click on!

As I've mentioned before, I'm not here to convert clickers to keybinders. Was trying to be a somewhat helpful post for the clickers who are having a hard time competing.

Take Tera for instance; try clicking there. It will not work. You will not even be able to kill a level 5 mob if you're clicking.

There in TERA, it is only because the targeting system and movement is FPS-style and you have no other choice. It's the only MMO i know so far that has such a system that is incompatible with clicking.

I'm not trying to convert people, if you think you do amazing as a clicker, click on. But to the clickers that were complaining about constantly getting outplayed and such, what's it going to hurt to try something else to help your playstyle and help you get better at a game?

Arrogance, pride, stupidity, ignorance, laziness, and did I say arrogance?

We need to take a stand in the battle against the clickers!

FEEL THE POWER OF MY 39 KEYBINDS! ROAR!

No but really. I am so used to having keybinds that the thought of clicking is repulsive.

I have also been trying to "convert" people over to the "good side" but to no avail.

Most clickers I know say "well, the game is so simple and clicking won't really matter. Once my performance lacks because of clicking I will try to change" and this is the major problem that we are facing. Not the clickers themselves, but the game's acceptance of clicking.

Take Tera for instance; try clicking there. It will not work. You will not even be able to kill a level 5 mob if you're clicking.

In this game you can kill the Terror from Beyond on HM as a clicker with no issues (in my raid team AT LEAST half of the team are clickers and we can clear end-game content. They also pvp to good - if not great - success).

Fix the game, then try to fix the players. As it is now they have the highground: there is no benefit to keybinding other than personal preference.

EDIT: If you are clicking and then complaining about poor performance and then have the audacity to not at least TRY to improve yourself by using keybinding (or understanding that you will never be a good sorcerer if you only use lightning >.>)... I rest my case.

Continue.

Why would anything need fixing if both clickers and binders can enjoy this game in a comfy manner. I'd rather suggest that a game that doesn't support both methods needs fixing.

Can you click and do ok? Yes. But keybinding is just hands down better, you are not looking at your quickbars and are not keyboard turning. You have better awareness with keybinds. I started out clicking, was ok and then I got a naga and within two weeks my performance was undeniably better and I am a better player because of it.

I'm a clicker (though a little more of a hybrid). Always have been. After reading this threa I kind of want to try Tera and click through it just to see. But I have never played with traditional "setups".

With a 1.5s global cool down it's almost impossible to not have your mouse over the next skill you want to use. Even my skills that are off global cool down, I can click in rapid succession. I'm so used to clicking that I don't look at my toolbars often, I'm a healer I actually spend more time looking at health bars. I don't use an MMO style mouse, I just use a RAT7 with the dpi cranked up to max (6400).

Personally, I just can't wrap my head around mouse movement. Holding down two mouse buttons feels sloppy and hard to control. :/ I've tried to do it but it's just pretty blah IMO.

Uhhh, wha? We're not here to be rude.

It's not rude if it's true.

Now,

earlier when I used the word "convert" it might have been misguiding. I simply meant that I have tried to get people to at least try. To see if the grass is indeed greener on the other side (which it is). To see if it works for them. If they give it a shot but then for some unintelligible reason find it to be unsatisfactory they can proceed to click themselves to death for all I care. All I want for them is to try. >.>

EDIT: It is the whole "I don't want to", "I am too lazy", "I don't need to", "this fight is hard D:" that bothers me.

Edited by Kazawi

I have every ability of mine keybinded using f1 through f12, 1 through 10, W R T Y A S D F G H ]

I leave out q and e for strafing

f1 through f12 is for cooldowns and abilities I rarely use

1 through 10 are my TOP abilities

] is my Out of Combat Healing

W R T Y A S D F G and H are my remaining abilities that I use fairly often but not my top, for example: off heals, interrupt, small AoE, Taunt, and other stuff like that

May be a stretch for you but it works fine for me in ranked warzones!

Serious just get a gaming mouse and end this discussion:)

I havent tried using my board for rotations for years in respect to keybinds. NO tripping over a dozen keys and making the odd baddy mistake. Now that some mice have over 15 options to the thumb, there is no reason to go to the tray while fighting. Even keyboard enthusiasts make typos....just get a gaming mouse and go easy mode:) Best of both worlds.

I have every ability of mine keybinded using f1 through f12, 1 through 10, W R T Y A S D F G H ]

I leave out q and e for strafing

f1 through f12 is for cooldowns and abilities I rarely use

1 through 10 are my TOP abilities

] is my Out of Combat Healing

W R T Y A S D F G and H are my remaining abilities that I use fairly often but not my top, for example: off heals, interrupt, small AoE, Taunt, and other stuff like that

May be a stretch for you but it works fine for me in ranked warzones!

:jawa_cool:

With 1.5s CD's it makes no difference if you click or not, as long as you know to click the right icon at the right time. If this game was a FPS, then it would be a factor.

...And yes binding makes things much easier, but clicking is hardly an issue in SWTOR.

This is all that needs to be said right here.

You underestimate how many peopole aren't confortable with pounding away on half the keyboard without looking. More so people like me in ther 30's or older and didn't grow up with a keyboard and lived their youth before the tech boom. You could train yourself sure but it would take months before you really felt comfortable with it.

This. I am 40 and had no computers till my late teens. I don't play a musical instrument. It took me a long time to learn to blind type, but I have to look if I type characters like ; or numbers. In-game, I have taunts and interrupts and a few other things bound. It takes many hours to get used to each button I bind.

I feel that mobility is more an issue for me than attacks, though. I usually solve that by stunning people who jump and run around too much. But I wish they could not do it, because it looks annoying, like they are crazy or high. No fighting style in life would benefit from wild jumping of that sort, so it breaks the immersion for me. I usually hunt and kill people who do that in PvP. And I can, clicking or not :rolleyes:

Edited by MariaD

I'm a clicker (though a little more of a hybrid). Always have been. After reading this threa I kind of want to try Tera and click through it just to see. But I have never played with traditional "setups".

Don't ever try. The mouse automatically turn into a targeting cursor, and you can't click on buttons. In order to the mouse to be a traditional cursor, you have to press Esc and show the main menu. And even if you were to click on icons, it will do nothing.

This. I am 40 and had no computers till my late teens. I don't play a musical instrument. It took me a long time to learn to blind type, but I have to look if I type characters like ; or numbers. In-game, I have taunts and interrupts and a few other things bound. It takes many hours to get used to each button I bind.

I feel that mobility is more an issue for me than attacks, though. I usually solve that by stunning people who jump and run around too much. But I wish they could not do it, because it looks annoying, like they are crazy or high. No fighting style in life would benefit from wild jumping of that sort, so it breaks the immersion for me. I usually hunt and kill people who do that in PvP. And I can, clicking or not :rolleyes:

And that's fine. Do what works best for you, this post is just an option for the clickers who are having issues and not understanding why they aren't doing so well.

In this game you can kill the Terror from Beyond on HM as a clicker with no issues (in my raid team AT LEAST half of the team are clickers and we can clear end-game content. They also pvp to good - if not great - success).

Fix the game, then try to fix the players.

Continue.

I suggest the opposite fix. Make "bunny hopping" impossible. I don't want to see people jumping around like they are on hard needle drugs. It breaks my immersion and it is not compatible with the UI style (clicking, keyboard turning) that I strongly prefer.

See what I did here? :D

Edited by MariaD

I've always found the debate about whether clicking or key binding is better to be completely self preference.

I have always preferred using key binds, however it all depends on what the player is comfortable with and is happy with.

If you feel you play better as a clicker, then play as a clicker. Simple as.

And that's fine. Do what works best for you, this post is just an option for the clickers who are having issues and not understanding why they aren't doing so well.

I take issue with the "why" part of your post. You CAN do well in this game with clicking. So, if you have issues, it would be a mistake to attribute your issues to clicking.

Will switching from clicking to keybinding help some people? Yes it will. But there are dozens other fixes that will work, as well. For example, changing that parameter that sets the view distances. Or situation awareness. Or rearranging bars and their sizes. I have seen these and other UI fixes work.

In short, clicking is NOT "why they aren't doing so well." But switching to keybinding - as one of MANY other options - will help some (not all) of the people who aren't doing well.

Edited by MariaD

Pro Tip: Hybridize the two systems. Cooldowns are long enough to easily reach the right side of your screen for the more uncommon abilities anyway. Those who only keybind limit themselves to maybe a third of all the abilities they have available, which isn't exactly useful for your performance either.

You're only limiting yourself if you can't memorize or reach more than a handful of keybinds. If you can then there is no downside.

Edited by byteresistor

This is a I'm a keybinder so I'm better post.. Clicking or Keybinding has nothing to do with bad players. There are tons of just as crappy keybinders as there are clickers.

I have over a decade of mmo experience starting back with UO and AC and have been clicking for so long its same muscle memory as keybinding. I have done every raid on the hardest difficulty in WoW, and ranked top in PvP, I beat out you keybinders all day long in PvP it swtor.. so please keep your self righteousus keybind bs to your selfs. You are not fooling anyone.

Edited by Happy_Puppy

I have been playing MMOs for a while and there are definitely people that keyboard turn/click that are totally 100% fine and play so well that you wouldn't even know that they do it.

Way back when I started playing MMOs I did the same very successfully in both PVE and PVP. BUT years ago just as kind of a project I dedicated myself to using keybinds exclusively on an alt, and boy it was ruff at 1st but I stuck to it and I never looked back.

With Q, E, R, T, (S depending on role), F, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and then SHIFT and ALT as modifiers that is 30 abilities right there. and that's not counting S, tilde, or the F1-F5 keys either. With a low-end gaming mouse with just 2 side buttons the modifiers can be right on the mouse too.

You could even remap "WASD" to "ESDF" and bring more keys into play almost making your own game pad. Rebinding a whole keyboard can be a chore especially in an alt-centric game and certain keyboards will ghost so mileage may vary but I'd def recommend trying some.

Maybe at least unbinding turn Left/Right, using the mouse to turn, making A/D Strafe Left/Right, and freeing up Q and E. Cuz they are just so convenient.

To be honest it makes games more fun to me. I see a lot more and I def feel more of a "flow" to combat. I still click stuffs like my Class Buff, regen, toys, n stuff and maybe a CD here or there but once I got through that initial awkward stage I really liked it. And that's why I do it. Not because someone said it's "correct".

I guess my point is "To each their own" but trying something new isn't necessarily a bad thing. :p