So much for not charging subs for Makeb

Lucyfer_Infinity

F2P players have to pay more for less? Because they'll only get access to the story content without additional unlocks.

Now this would have been the perfect opportunity to make F2P the right way. New content for free to subscribers and a small cost for F2P players.

Then remove some of the retarded restrictions and continue making content instead of finding new ways to piss off your customers.

I'm a sub btw and I gotta say this is getting beyond a joke now.

How you being ripped off when you're, and i quote "Free to play"?

Sure if you want more you pay, I mean after all you're already getting what most payed for for free?

Edited by Nijraw

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that only if they pre order? I am not sure I'll have to check up on that.

"Upgrade to Preferred Status by purchasing the game, a Cartel Coin Card, or anything from the online store, plus former Subscribers are automatically granted Preferred Status."

Going by what BioWare says on this site, purchasing the 'expansion' counts, not just pre-order but any purchase since that would be buying form the online store.

$15/month for subscription, plus another $10 for purchase of content update = $25.

Free-to-Play purchase of content update = $20.

For all of the 'General Genius' people who really think they are getting a great deal.

If they're subscribers they're paying that $15 every month anyway. Also, the subscription cost goes towards unlocking all of the subscriber benefits, which you'd lose by not paying it. All the expansion costs to subscribers is $10-period. Or should we also include the cost of internet that I use to play the game as well? Hmm, in that case this expansion will cost me about $70. But I also pay rent to live in my apartment, which houses my desktop and has the internet cables which I pay my ISP to use, to be able to play SWTOR, for which I pay BioWare to get my subscriber's bonus, which allows me to pay only $10 for the expansion pack. Total = ~$1,390.

Homeless guy at an internet cafe using a F2P account = $20

For all of the 'General Genius' people who really think they're getting a great deal.

You're welcome to cancel your subscription and pay $20 if you'd like (and live homeless while playing from internet cafes). No one is stopping you.

Edited: Because a yellow from another thread said this ain't so.

Also, fail to see how this is ripping off f2p players. They get more than what they pay for, and what they downloaded the game thinking they'd get was 1-50 for free. They get that. They want 51-55, they pay for it. I think $20 is steep for what we know is in this pack so far, but the basic idea is sound.

Edited by Prettyevilish

yes and that was made BEFORE the announcement to go Free 2 Play. After the announcement they said they aren't sure if they will charge or not. You had to be foolish to think they wouldn't be charging for Makeb after it went F2P.

You're right i foolish to believe anything bioware said, guess that is my fault. Its totally my fault they lost subs and had to nickle and dime everyone cause the servers were dead, i was foolish to think honesty was the best policy.

Actually, Torhead has a datamined purple cartel object for the 'expansion'. Which implies that it will be available in the cartel.

Obviously pre-ordering from the cartel wouldn't make any sense, as you'd just be carrying around a purple item you couldn't actually use yet as the content doesn't exist.

Pretty sure once the 'expansion' goes live, you'll be able to purchase it for character and account wide with coins. Would be silly of them not to implement it like that since more people see the cartel shop than see the swtor homepage.

Also, fail to see how this is ripping off f2p players. They get more than what they pay for, and what they downloaded the game thinking they'd get was 1-50 for free. They get that. They want 51-55, they pay for it. I think $20 is steep for what we know is in this pack so far, but the basic idea is sound.

You did see the post that it is not gong to be for sale for cc from a yellow right?

Pretty sure once the 'expansion' goes live, you'll be able to purchase it for character and account wide with coins. Would be silly of them not to implement it like that since more people see the cartel shop than see the swtor homepage.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5600153#edit5600153

To answer the question posed here about purchasing Rise of the Hutt Cartel:

We'd like to clarify that Rise of the Hutt Cartel will be available for purchase through SWTOR.com/buy only, and there won't be an option to purchase it using Cartel Coins.

I think it's a ripoff and i'm a subscriber. Why should I pay ten dollars for an expansion, when I already pay fifteen dollars a month. That's a ripoff, considering if I cancelled my account i'd get it for twenty dollars. I wouldn't get the five dollars worth of cartel coins but it's not like I can choose to have a subscribtion without it. I'd be willing to pay five dollars for the expansion as a subscriber but no more than that. DC Universe is a f2p conversion and there expansions are free to subscribers. Bioware is just milking us. Tempted to cancel my sub because of this.

It's $14.99 for the sub. They GIVE you over $5 in free coins each month. So, you're actually paying less than $10 for your sub. F2Pers and subs alike have to pay $4.99 for 450 coins. This acts gives the coins monetary value. So, no, my math was good. Your way of thinking is what's a miss.

Its not my way of thinking. A subscription to SWTOR is $14.99 per month. EA/BioWare gives you CC as part of your sub...Not in lieu of it. You cannot use your CC to reduce the price of your sub, It is part of it. Since in real dollars and cents CC cannot be used to reduce sub price your sub is $14.99 furthermore since you cannot use CC to purchase Makeb, Once again in real terms of dollars and cents its $9.99. When you look at your Credit card statement it will state a purchase of;

$14.99 - Sub

$ 9.99 - Makeb

$24.98 Total.

So your total out of pocket Expense is $24.98

They aren't giving you anything, the stipend is part of, not on top of your Sub.

Edited by Taorus

It's $14.99 for the sub. They GIVE you over $5 in free coins each month. So, you're actually paying less than $10 for your sub. F2Pers and subs alike have to pay $4.99 for 450 coins. This acts gives the coins monetary value. So, no, my math was good. Your way of thinking is what's a miss.

Doesnt matter that subs get free coins cos they cannot be used to buy the expansion, so null argument.

Why buy socks when you already have shoes?

You're paying $10 for an update, this is far from an xpac. Every other MMO's xpac is like buying a new game. Even Cata as horrible as it was had 100000000 times more content than this even though it was more expensive. We are all being ripped off.

I do understand they haven't released all the info regarding the xpac but I won't hold my breath.

Edited by Erishumlol

You're right i foolish to believe anything bioware said, guess that is my fault. Its totally my fault they lost subs and had to nickle and dime everyone cause the servers were dead, i was foolish to think honesty was the best policy.

Yes, if you thought losing so many subscribers since the E3 announcement wasn't going to affect the stuff they announced there, then you're foolish.

Its not even really dishonest; its like the weather man trying to predict a 6 month forecast. Things don't always go according to plan, and EA isn't in this for our benefit, they published SWTOR to make money.

You're paying $10 for an update, this is far from an xpac. Every other MMO's xpac is like buying a new game. Even Cata as horrible as it was had 100000000 times more content than this even though it was more expensive. We are all being ripped off.

Don't buy it?

What (if anything) will subscribers have to pay for after F2P launches?

I wish I had a solid answer for you on that. We’re still in discussion about some of the larger content updates that we’re planning. Great example is the planet Makeb. We’ve talked about Makeb, we have a lot of plans around Makeb. I wish I could give you more details, but I can tell you that I think the playerbase is going to be really, really pleased. More story content. New and interesting things for the players to do. More systems and interesting functions in the game … I can’t go into a lot of detail, but around things like that … This is a pretty big piece (of content). It is probably all that I can say. It is definitely still for discussion whether we sell that to the subscriber or the subscriber gets that for free because it is a big beefy chunk of content.

http://www.swtor-life.com/video/the-future-of-swtor-jeff-hickman-interview/7112/

F2P players have to pay more for less? Because they'll only get access to the story content without additional unlocks.

Now this would have been the perfect opportunity to make F2P the right way. New content for free to subscribers and a small cost for F2P players.

Then remove some of the retarded restrictions and continue making content instead of finding new ways to piss off your customers.

I'm a sub btw and I gotta say this is getting beyond a joke now.

Actually, the SWTOR expansion is not a ripoff.

Here is why.

The WOW Burning Crusade, the first and best WOW expansion, was $50 at retail when it came out.

Now if the planet Makeb is the size of the later planets in SWTOR, such as Voss, then it would be a good deal. This is because Voss is a little over one fifth the size of landmass as what was sold in the WOW Burning Crusade expansion. One fifth the size would make the $9.99 deal for subs would make a good fair market price for the value of the amount of content offered.

Also, increasing the level by five levels will also allow for more fun with hybrid talent tree builds. This was the true fun of WOW expansions until Blizzard foolishly destroyed hybrid builds.

Edited by Paul_Cousins

Here is why.

The WOW Burning Crusade, the first and best WOW expansion, was $50 at retail when it came out.

Now if the planet Makeb is the size of the later planets in SWTOR, such as Voss, then it would be a good deal. This is because Voss is a little over one fifth the size of landmass as what was sold in the WOW Burning Crusade expansion. One fifth the size would make the $9.99 deal for subs a price at fair market value.

Also, increasing the level by five levels will also allow for more fun with hybrid talent tree builds. This was the true fun of WOW expansions until Blizzard foolishly destroyed hybrid builds.

Compare this xpac to MOP then we can have a discussion.

Here is why.

Now if the planet Makeb is the size of the later planets in SWTOR, such as Voss, then it would be a good deal. This is because Voss is a little over one fifth the size of landmass as what was sold in the WOW Burning Crusade expansion. One fifth the size would make the $9.99 deal for subs a price at fair market value.

If grasshoppers had machine-guns, birds wouldn't F**k with them.:D

They want us to pre-order?

I'm sorry, but I don't have the confidence this game will even be here in 12 months.

Don't get me wrong, I love 90% of this game, but the other 10% is so screwed up, the workmanship and quality so low, I just don't think they will make it that long.

Honestly I don't think they do either, they are flooding the market with cartel stuff, milking the last dollars from the dying cow.