Character Recustomization

althene

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just dropping in to show my support for this suggestion.

While most of us probably really like the customisation we chose initially for each of our characters, long time players are bound to start feeling like changing stuff up eventually. Plus it's fun to be able to change your looks :o

I flipped back a couple pages, but didn't see any thread titles suggesting something similar, so I thought I'd touch on it or at least dig it out of the back of the closet.

Character Recustomization?

It really needs to happen. Now that it's easier than ever to unlock races with cartel coins, it would be nice to be able to go back and really do what you wanted to during character creation, but didn't have the tools to do it unlocked yet.

I'm all for restarting a class just to do things better. Not that I make it a habit, but this is a hobby more than a way of life for me, so I don't mind spending the time to start over. Especially when there really are only 4 stories and playing through them gets faster the more you do it. But not every (many) of the player community feel this way, especially the newly acquired f2p crowd we have. It's especially unfair to them since they only have 2 character slots on the account total. They can buy your coins to open up a race, but then they have to sacrifice their only other slot to take advantage of the character creation options, even if they bought the unlock for the race they're currently playing.

Throw us all a bone here, BW. Give us a vendor, on each respective fleet perhaps, that will allow us to recustimize our character. I'm not asking for an AC swap or a race change (although race does nothing from a gameplay standpoint in this game). I just want to be able to swap out the old busted bionics for the new hotness once I unlock the cyborg race or something similar. I'm not even asking for a body type swap. Just the cosmetics. Maybe a new hairdo. The new swanky bionic eye that I mentioned. Maybe get a new tattoo or have one removed. Charge us credits for it. One more money sink can't be all that bad, right? Hell, I'd even be ok with a (SMALL) cost in cartel coins. You could even make it into a legacy item for player ships just like the GTN, mailbox and repair droid. You could even make it a function OF the repair droid (he dabbles in facial reconstruction on the side).

Please, BioWare... You're our only hope.

EDIT: so this thread has (thankfully) gathered a bit of momentum and a few suggestions have poped up that I hadn't taken into consideration when I originally posted it. So with that in mind, I'm going to simply provide a list of suggestions here. Call it an overall thread TL;DR for the attention deficit crowd.

- Legacy customization droid similar to the repair droid to recustomize your character at will or with possible credits

- "Barber shops" for players to spend credits for minor cosmetic changes

- Cartel store full recustomization option with possible name change (not legacy name)

- Cartel store race/gender/name change only option

- Cartel store Legacy name change (not really a fan of this one, but provided for completion)

- Vastly upgraded or revamped character creation tools with more range of features and options (CoH anyone?)

- Character faction change (possibly considerably more complex with having to change ships, story arcs, etc. Maybe causing all story flags, skill points, etc, to be reset. Would need to lock AC to cross faction mirror class, however. Provided for completion.)

More added as and when the need arises.

P.S.: Woot! Thanx for the 5 star rating guys! Your posts and support keep this thread alive.

I fully support this.

I also hope they add more customization options.

I love this game. I love star wars but I hope they can start giving people more options. Also, a customization tool like some game have could be nice and not just have like 30 different faces.

I mean, we should be able to create our own character at 100% and not be a remix of a very small number of options.

For example: hair

- We should have more hairstyles

- We should have a pallet of colors, not like 7 colors

- We should be able to change the length

Just check out Saints Row (1, 2 or 3) (I personally prefer Saints Row 2)

Having this editor in SWTOR....

That would be sooooooo much better.

Oh and cmon now... this is part of the minimum this game needs... dont charge real money each time you want to use the barber shop.

You could sell the ability to use a barber shop at like 2000 CC.

Then, sell expansion packs with more options at like 1000 CC.

Cmon BioWare.... stuck sucking balls

I fully support this.

I also hope they add more customization options.

I love this game. I love star wars but I hope they can start giving people more options. Also, a customization tool like some game have could be nice and not just have like 30 different faces.

I mean, we should be able to create our own character at 100% and not be a remix of a very small number of options.

For example: hair

- We should have more hairstyles

- We should have a pallet of colors, not like 7 colors

- We should be able to change the length

Just check out Saints Row (1, 2 or 3) (I personally prefer Saints Row 2)

Having this editor in SWTOR....

That would be sooooooo much better.

Oh and cmon now... this is part of the minimum this game needs... dont charge real money each time you want to use the barber shop.

You could sell the ability to use a barber shop at like 2000 CC.

Then, sell expansion packs with more options at like 1000 CC.

Cmon BioWare.... stuck sucking balls

2000 CC, either your someone that don't care about the value of currency or you really really want this function in game. i'm all for this function but by the gods keep it cheap. this function should be in the game from the start anyways! i guess that's what we get for a "to soon pushed out version".

Don't want to be devil's advocate, but looks are only skin deep. Should be satisfied with the way you look and accept it for how it is.

yeah you should not play devil's advocate. and that said you just now hurt all the RPs feelings.

personally i can't stand playing an char that looks odd, that's why i spend more time in games like STO, there i can change the way i look for just ingame credits. and in the end it all about keeping players interested in your game right, so if you don't care about your char looks then you totally don't care if there ever will be a RE-customization option in this game, right? that makes your point, pointless. so next time wen you have an urge to reply something similar ... don't. ;-)

Don't want to be devil's advocate, but looks are only skin deep. Should be satisfied with the way you look and accept it for how it is.

The issue is not really that we have an ugly character (at least not in my situation), it's that I now have access to new options that weren't available on initial creation. These options more acurately reflect the look that I was trying to achieve to begin with. I don't think it's fair that, now that I've hit level cap (or spent CC) and have access to these new appearance options, I have to abandon or delete the character and start over to get the look and feel that I wanted from the start. It's a minor annoyance at best, but it's still an annoyance.

In addition, sometimes things just don't work out long term. Character creation lighting is different than in game, dynamic lighting and certain features "clip" some armor types. None of these things you'll notice at first or even until possible end game. While none of them are particularly game breaking, they serve to limit player satisfaction. And if a player ain't satisfied, he ain't playin. No play, no pay. No pay makes EA angry. You won't like EA when it's angry...

Incredible Hulk jokes aside, there's no reason why any player that spends the copious amount of time on their characters that MMO players do, can't have the tools available to customize their character any way they see fit, as they see fit.

I wholeheartedly support this feature.

I'm not wanting to change my character because I think he's ugly, but because I want to change his skin color. Why? I picked light skin, which glitches some of the vests he wears, and I doubt the glitch is going to be fixed anytime soon.

Edited by Radzkie

It is must option to modern MMOs and I am pretty sure will net lot of money to the company. I am suprised why it is not added yet..

While I agree it's an option in many current MMOs, including several that just released, I do think they have more pressing things right now. In addition, that "other" MMO didn't have barber shops for roughly half of its current life.

I have confidence that they'll eventually get around to it, I just hope it's sooner rather than later despite their current hassles.

Yes please bioware. Allow us to do the following:

Full character re-create, like if you were making it for the first time.

Make it decently affordable.

Allow us to replay our story quest so we can see the dialogue difference between Alien vs Human. Thanks!

I really hope you put this in soon BW.

+1. Id love this idea.. Although i put a lot of time into creating a new character id love to change the race of my Jedi Guardian. Its kind of a pain in the *** wanting to play as a twi'lek then all the armour looks **** on them (or atleast my character) due to their lekku. If i could change my race id love my character and actually play him more.. i love the guardian, but just cant tolerate his look anymore :(

I wonder why BioWare continues to sit on this, like several other things that players have been asking for since even before launch. There is demand, but why isn't there supply? It's like they don't want our money, especially after they released the Cartel Market and still don't do anything about things like this and purchasable character slots. Edited by Nichos_Ketra

Back from my vacation and checking up on this thread. Hope everyone had a pretty good Christmas.

I wonder why BioWare continues to sit on this, like several other things that players have been asking for since even before launch. There is demand, but why isn't there supply? It's like they don't want our money, especially after they released the Cartel Market and still don't do anything about things like this and purchasable character slots.

I think they're saving it for either this upcoming mini-expansion or as an adrenaline shot when they need to hold on to or spur more subscribers. I'm hoping this isn't the case, but it makes sense from a business standpoint.

This, of course, takes the optimistic view that they're working on it at all.

Would really be nice if we could get some moderator feedback on this, but I understand that they might have bigger fish.