Character Recustomization

althene

I believe the only way you could do character recustomization (aside from hair/makeup/tattoos/etc.) would be to pay for it, then log out to the character select screen whereby you would be given the option to recustomization your character (not to beat a dead horse here, but WoW really nailed this).

City of Heroes did it better.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

City of Heroes did it better.

I don't remember having to pay anything except in game currency in CoH, but I haven't played that in almost a decade now. But CoH also had no gear to speak of. Your equipment basically was your appearance, so being able to customize your appearance was one of the core game mechanics. I also don't remember being able to significantly alter your body/face size and shape after character creation, however.

Edited by althene

I don't remember having to pay anything except in game currency in CoH, but I haven't played that in almost a decade now. But CoH also had no gear to speak of. Your equipment basically was your appearance, so being able to customize your appearance was one of the core game mechanics. I also don't remember being able to significantly alter your body/face size and shape after character creation, however.

They eventually (July 2009) added a Cosmetic Surgeon in the Superscience Super Booster. It allowed you to change every aspect of your character, up to and including gender at any Icon/Facemaker (tailor) location. Those changes were costume specific, thus you could have a character that's was female in one costume, male in another, giant in a third, and so forth. They also added this to the Paragon Market after the game went F2P as a stand-alone purchase in addition to remaining in the Booster.

As far as the costume goes, that's the way all MMORPGs should work, in my opinion. You should be able to look exactly like you want to at all times, not be a slave to the RNG. But that's just my opinion.

Edited by -Jubilation-

They eventually (July 2009) added a Cosmetic Surgeon in the Superscience Super Booster. It allowed you to change every aspect of your character, up to and including gender at any Icon/Facemaker (tailor) location. Those changes were costume specific, thus you could have a character that's was female in one costume, male in another, giant in a third, and so forth. They also added this to the Paragon Market after the game went F2P as a stand-alone purchase in addition to remaining in the Booster.

As far as the costume goes, that's the way all MMORPGs should work, in my opinion. You should be able to look exactly like you want to at all times, not be a slave to the RNG. But that's just my opinion.

While this is starting to get a bit off topic, I believe that's why they have the armor sets in the cartel store now. And as this relates to the other topic we were discussing, I'll still try to see if higher level cartel sets can be broken down and re-slotted to adjust their item levels. As it stands now, being a WoW clone, it's a stat/gear driven MMO much more than an experience driven one.

If they need an example of how to do the character re-customization, then by all means go check out "Star Trek Online" they have it nailed 100%, you can change it all there !! "i'm not promoting that game, i'm just a lifetime sub in STO that's all, and if SWTOR would have lifetime subs i buy one in a heart-beat"

but yeah Bioware where the hell is the Character Re-customization :D .... ok ok i go low Please... pretty please give us re-customization :D

If they need an example of how to do the character re-customization, then by all means go check out "Star Trek Online" they have it nailed 100%, you can change it all there !! "i'm not promoting that game, i'm just a lifetime sub in STO that's all, and if SWTOR would have lifetime subs i buy one in a heart-beat"

but yeah Bioware where the hell is the Character Re-customization :D .... ok ok i go low Please... pretty please give us re-customization :D

Wow. I'd forgotten about the lifetime subs in STO. Someone start a new suggestion thread. Lifetime subs for $xxx and +xxxx cartel coins a month for eva!

I would like to see character customization too.

Put customization in the cartel market. Subscribers get it for free or they can use their monthly cartel coin allowance to purchase it. Implementation can either be a barber shop in game or new button on the login screen I don't really care too much about that part.

Pretty much all of the F2P people will buy it in time giving Bioware more resources for further updates.

i would like a reply from who ever looks at this forum at bioware, are there plans in the works for this yet or not?!

can't imagen that a project like this would take up much time to add, most things are already in the game, all dev have to do is make UI buttons, and some code links. and it would mean so much to us if you guys do this :D

maybe a gift update for the hollydays ?

This is why i hate forums, even if the people that need to see this, see it and not reply atleast something, that leaves us in the dark, i HATE the dark ..... Oh wait no i embrace it .... em confused now lol. just reply "we are working on this".

Edited by Noxsabe

YES ive been hoping for something like this. i re-rolled a smuggler, after going through 35 lvls, just cuz i didnt like the race. So itd be awesome if i could re customize my character even a little bit.

count on my vote

YES ive been hoping for something like this. i re-rolled a smuggler, after going through 35 lvls, just cuz i didnt like the race. So itd be awesome if i could re customize my character even a little bit.

count on my vote

I agree.

And no, subscribers should have to pay as well.

After playing around in their f2p model for a few weeks now, the most likely outcome is a subscriber based option that's either free, readily accessible, discounted or some combination thereof while f2p players will have to pony up some cash to make it happen. I can't say I'm really happy about that, but I can't say I'd be surprised either.

As I said in my previous posts, an ideal solution would be to tie it to the legacy tab. They can make it like the respec option, or they can make it like the repair droid. I'd be happy either way (more so with the droid. I want a medical droid on my ship, dammit!). On top of all this, it really is almost a must that they have some kind of "barbershop" feature for MINOR changes to their character. No one should have to pay real money just to change their virtual haircut or the color lipstick they're sporting. That's just silly. But make me cough up some credits and I'm there. Virtual money sinks are just as important in a f2p model as real money sinks. They give players a reason to spend money which, in turn, gets them out into the game world to make more, thus interacting and "playing" the "game".

Edited by althene

I agree with all above, this should be on or very near the top of the feature list (to add). We need this, and it should not be that hard. Let us change all features of our character except gender and species. Often I get tired of playing a certain character because I want to refresh or change my characters look. Make them look a little older as they get to LVL50 etc. (for example)

Have both credit-based revamp and a cartel-based revamp.

Credits would be charged depending on what you're changing, or how much you're changing. Swapping your Miraluka's mask is relatively simple, so it'd be lower-cost. Changing your haircut, hair color, eye color, skin tone, and body shape would cost more money, and thus cost more as you're adding more and more things to change. The Cartel Shop revamp would let you change everything about your guy, including species and / or gender, on that one ticket. Call it a "Force Rebirth" or something.

Regardless, I think some things should be off-limits to credit-only revamps. A sex change and a race change might be the limit of that, though. Hell, they dyed JFK black all over to hide him in an old folks' home, so they can even do that!

Yes, that was a Bubba Ho-Tep reference. You're welcome.

I agree with all above, this should be on or very near the top of the feature list (to add). We need this, and it should not be that hard. Let us change all features of our character except gender and species. Often I get tired of playing a certain character because I want to refresh or change my characters look. Make them look a little older as they get to LVL50 etc. (for example)

are you crazy :D i want gender change :D .. no really i want gender change.

I'm interested in why you think everything should be on the table except gender and species. And, in truth, I can probably take a stab at your reasons behind species, but I'm still puzzled by you inclusion of gender there.

Character re-customization feature is literally a "must". It's a feature used in most MMO's and used a lot. Be it some barber or some usable item or whatever, but it must be in the game. And no, not for Cartel Coins or such nonsense. Cartel Coins could be used to buy packs which allow gender change, name change and such, basically some major thing, but changing the looks is a minor thing and should be available in game, both to subscribers and F2P players. The fact that this feature is not yet in the game is a total oversight and laziness.

I flipped back a couple pages, but didn't see any thread titles suggesting something similar, so I thought I'd touch on it or at least dig it out of the back of the closet.

Character Recustomization?

It really needs to happen. Now that it's easier than ever to unlock races with cartel coins, it would be nice to be able to go back and really do what you wanted to during character creation, but didn't have the tools to do it unlocked yet.

I'm all for restarting a class just to do things better. Not that I make it a habit, but this is a hobby more than a way of life for me, so I don't mind spending the time to start over. Especially when there really are only 4 stories and playing through them gets faster the more you do it. But not every (many) of the player community feel this way, especially the newly acquired f2p crowd we have. It's especially unfair to them since they only have 2 character slots on the account total. They can buy your coins to open up a race, but then they have to sacrifice their only other slot to take advantage of the character creation options, even if they bought the unlock for the race they're currently playing.

Throw us all a bone here, BW. Give us a vendor, on each respective fleet perhaps, that will allow us to recustimize our character. I'm not asking for an AC swap or a race change (although race does nothing from a gameplay standpoint in this game). I just want to be able to swap out the old busted bionics for the new hotness once I unlock the cyborg race or something similar. I'm not even asking for a body type swap. Just the cosmetics. Maybe a new hairdo. The new swanky bionic eye that I mentioned. Maybe get a new tattoo or have one removed. Charge us credits for it. One more money sink can't be all that bad, right? Hell, I'd even be ok with a (SMALL) cost in cartel coins. You could even make it into a legacy item for player ships just like the GTN, mailbox and repair droid. You could even make it a function OF the repair droid (he dabbles in facial reconstruction on the side).

Please, BioWare... You're our only hope.

I agree & support this suggestion. :cool: