Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Things SWTOR forgot to copy from WoW

Obiwanwillpwnme

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so we take examples from failed mmo like Aoc ??? A game with 100k subs or wow with 10 million(atleast)??

Wow is the best mmo and every developer should look over and take what's best there.

by that definition justin bieber and lady gaga make the best music because it sells the most.

popularity != quality

1) Dungeon finder.

Meh.

2) UI customisation.

Hell yeah.

3) Group loot rules.

Meh.

4) Selecting PvP warzones.

Meh.

5) Skills that level as you level.

Hell yeah.

6) Addons.

HELL NO.

7) Guild storage.

Meh.

8) Achievements.

HELL NO.

9) Fishing.

OMG HELL NO!!111

What I think.

Edited by Cylide

We design UI - let's design it so it's not customizable, player's won't care about that.

it has to work for the launch, and it does. we'll see if they make it more customizable

We design rolling rules - let's take the worst system available today that will lead to problems and grief.

loot systems are the usual like every other mmo. protip: harder restrictions like class loot only became necessary with x-shard dungeon finders - and in TOR you have companions which are different classes.

in the end it's a peoples problem, stricter loot rules are only a bandaid.

We design Guilds - let's not include options that EVERY SINGLE OTHER MMO on the market has.

so "EVERY SINGLE OTHER MMO on the market" had guild banks at launch? guild quests? a wall? integrated forum? guild housing?

again: ready to launch != feature complete

We design Auction House - let's ignore great WoW addons that show us how a market should work, and instead make it unusable and not worth bothering with at all.

yeah, because the wow auction house isn't EXACTLY the same without addons :rolleyes:

I'm far from a TOR fanboy, but how think some people these are valid complaints?

Good to know the anti-fun crowd is here to squash any kind of constructive criticism.

The fact that people don't hang out on the Imperial Fleet and are never around to run flash-points is a MAJOR concern. A LFG tool is badly needed. If you don't like it for some odd reason, don't use it.

The fact that people don't hang out on the Imperial Fleet and are never around to run flash-points is a MAJOR concern. A LFG tool is badly needed. If you don't like it for some odd reason, don't use it.

don't know which server you're on, but if you takes you longer than 5 minutes to find a group for a fp right now (unless you play at 5 am, and even then it should be pretty easy), you do something wrong.

For the time being I'm only going to respond to one reply:

yeah, because the wow auction house isn't EXACTLY the same without addons :rolleyes:

Was I writing about WoW's AH without addons? No. I am giving a working example of how this system should work in MMOs. I don't care what it looks like without the addons, nor was I writing about it.

1) Dungeon finder.

Finding a group and getting them all to the flashpoint takes too long, it's not fun so hardly anyone is playing flashpoints.

This just launched. WoW didn't have dungeon finder till its 2nd expansion, so that arguement for TOR to have it 'at' launch is moot.

2) UI customisation.

Especially UI scaling. I play on a high-res monitor and the current UI is awful.

They have already said that this will come shortly after launch, you should quit while your ahead.

3) Group loot rules.

Don't let classes that can't use gear roll on it. It only causes grief, whether it was intentional or deliberate. WoW's 2-hour grace period for trading bound items with those eligible for them would have been nice, too.

I agree with this, but since most if not all people are still low level, this whole complaint doesn't hold water.

Lots of people hate huttball. I know it helps reduce PvP queues, but melee classes hate it. I'd be much more likely to queue for PvP if I could knock it off the list.

Doing this could also slow your que to a unholy time period. By not allowing players to que for different warzones, you reduce que time and keep the players who do like pvp gainfully employed. Now since cross server cannot que together this also is important not to be able to que for individual warzones.

Returning to a trainer every time you level up is not fun. It's a timesink.

A mmorpg is a timesink. What rock have you been living under?

6) Addons.

Especially DPS meters, or at least a combat log. I have no idea which of my skills/rotations are most effective which makes learning my class really hard. It's also very hard to analyse fights to work out what to avoid, which mob to kill first, what to interupt etc...

I've always had a problem with people who use addons, so you and I are on different sides of the fence here. However, it has taken me only 6 days to figure out how to heal effectively on my smuggler. You learn your class by playing it or are you such a dumb player that you need a addon to tell you what to do?

7) Guild storage.

Sharing materials and items with guildies is a big part of a successful guild. Currently this is reduced to asking/offering in guild chat, which is pretty tedious.

Coming after launch, you really should pay more attention to the dev tracker.

8) Achievements.

They were fun, quirky and added longevity to the game. A great way to spice up repetitive encounters and great personal goals for PvP.

Achievements are a simple way to measure epeens. They have no utility for the game and are also a useless timesink in a non-f2p mmorpg.

9) Fishing.

Great way to pass the ti.. nevermind, maybe SWTOR is doing some things right.

'nuff said.

1) Dungeon finder.

Finding a group and getting them all to the flashpoint takes too long, it's not fun so hardly anyone is playing flashpoints.

I have had 0 problems finding a dungeon group. Type /who and ask around or try hitting General chat. Also use the LFG tool. All of the flashpoints are linked to your respective Fleets. Several worlds even have shuttles in the market/social areas to take you directly to the flashpoint. A dungeon finder tool is not needed.

2) UI customisation.

Especially UI scaling. I play on a high-res monitor and the current UI is awful.

At least scaling would be nice, but I find the stock UI to be better than WoW's stock UI. I'm sure addons will be added eventually but again are not needed at launch. I would love the ability to totally customize my UI, but again this is not game breaking and can wait for this feature to be implemented. Bug fixes/tweaks are more important to me at this time.

3) Group loot rules.

Don't let classes that can't use gear roll on it. It only causes grief, whether it was intentional or deliberate. WoW's 2-hour grace period for trading bound items with those eligible for them would have been nice, too.

I would like to see a Need before Greed and Master Looter options implemented too. The trading loot system is relatively new in WoW (compared to the life of the game) and would like to see this feature too, but again it is not a game breaker and can wait for this feature.

Lots of people hate huttball. I know it helps reduce PvP queues, but melee classes hate it. I'd be much more likely to queue for PvP if I could knock it off the list.

Specific queues would be nice, but I'm a melee class and Huttball is actually my favorite of the 3 warzones. So I will have to disagree with you there.

I will usually wait to advance my skills until I have a new one or I start to see difficulty clearing content. By then I need to go back to town to check commendation upgrades, or one of my quests takes me back anyway. Not that big of a deal. In WoW you actually did have to go to trainers every other level as skills would not automatically grow with you. Funny that you would mention this.

6) Addons.

Especially DPS meters, or at least a combat log. I have no idea which of my skills/rotations are most effective which makes learning my class really hard. It's also very hard to analyse fights to work out what to avoid, which mob to kill first, what to interupt etc...

Addons would be nice in the future, but again not a deal breaker. We used to clear raids/dungeons in vanilla WoW with 0 addons. It's doable. You can learn your class through trial and error in the mean time.

7) Guild storage.

Sharing materials and items with guildies is a big part of a successful guild. Currently this is reduced to asking/offering in guild chat, which is pretty tedious.

This is already in the works via dev posts.

8) Achievements.

They were fun, quirky and added longevity to the game. A great way to spice up repetitive encounters and great personal goals for PvP.

Datacrons. Achievements not needed right now this is a fluff feature at best.

9) Fishing.

I lol'd

Good post OP, but there are more important things to worry about and I'm sure that most if not all of these features will be implemented at some point. Let's enjoy the ride and growth together. MMOs are never done.

(edited to fix quote/reply format)

Edited by GraunKrynn

Good to know the anti-fun crowd is here to squash any kind of constructive criticism.

You mean like the LFG tool that's already in the game? I flag my tank LFG and I'm usually in a group within 5 minutes without using general.

I agree with most of what the OP said, and the "WOW IS THAT WAY THIS GAME ISN"T WOW RAR WOW SUCKS" arguments are really getting old. WoW did a lot of things right. If you were making an FPS you wouldn't say "woah man, we are NOT adding vehicles, if people wanted that they'd just play Halo". Half of innovation is building on other people's good ideas.

1) Dungeon finder.

2) UI customisation.

3) Group loot rules.

6) Addons.

7) Guild storage.

8) Achievements.

9) Fishing.

WoW didn't copy anything from any MMO. They were totally fresh and didn't take the painful grind of EQ and dumb it down at all. Nope, not at all.

1) Dungeon finder.

2) UI customisation.

3) Group loot rules.

6) Addons.

7) Guild storage.

8) Achievements.

9) Fishing.

1) I dont think we need it, who is fine, it just need more people using it

2) agreed

3) I think this can only be done if they add a 'Companion' option, e.g. Need > Comapnion > Greed, so you can only need on gear you can wear, 'companion' on gear you companions can use and you can greed or pass on anything else. this will let people get their char's primary gear then gear up thie companions without stopping others from getting their primary gear first (if they 'need' it)

4) let us pick what we like to play, agreed

5) fine as it is

6) not bothered, I prefer the 'level playing field' as far as add-ons go

7) Guild ship need to be implemented with guild vendors etc, get your own guild star destoryer, wahahhaaaa!!!

8) They are already there! datacrons or whatever

9) GO FISH! we have space battles!

I agree with most of what the OP said, and the "WOW IS THAT WAY THIS GAME ISN"T WOW RAR WOW SUCKS" arguments are really getting old. WoW did a lot of things right. If you were making an FPS you wouldn't say "woah man, we are NOT adding vehicles, if people wanted that they'd just play Halo". Half of innovation is building on other people's good ideas.

I agree with what you say but then again, what is the OP doing? As I said in my last post. This isn't WoW. If bioware wanted these they would add them.

1) Dungeon finder.

2) UI customisation.

3) Group loot rules.

6) Addons.

7) Guild storage.

8) Achievements.

9) Fishing.

WoW didn't have hardly any of that when it launched.

CoD 3 just launched without vehicles and apparently sold a few millions copies without problems. hell, it is probably the game that sold most copies at launch. All that without copying features from BF3. Just saying, I personally think CoD is crap...

but anyway, WoW --------------> that way

1) Dungeon finder.

Same server dungeon finder would be nice. No x-server please.

2) UI customisation.

Scaling/moving UI and the various windows should be a high priority.

3) Group loot rules.

Agree. It only took me 4 FP runs to have to put loot whores on ignore. A Smuggler NEVER has a reason to roll need on a lightsaber.

Definitely. I hate Huttball and will not play warzones until we can queue for specific ones.

Meh not a big deal. I've gone as many as 4 levels without training and still completed the content. It's actually more of a credit sink. You have quick travel and taxis, so not so much a time sink.

6) Addons.

When you mouseover your skills it tells you how much damage they do. Kill healer mobs first.

7) Guild storage.

Agree guild banks need to be a fairly high priority.

8) Achievements.

There are already a lot of titles to earn. Not sure what else you have in mind.

9) Fishing.

Responses in red

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who feels dungeon finder ruined WOW. I would hate to see that happen with this game.

I don't have a problem with add-ons... they can complement the game.

Fishing? Fishing provides buffs, it provides items, it provides an entertainment option outside of questing, and most importantly... it allowed you to interact with the environment. What makes a game interesting to me, especially an MMO, is what I can do with in the environment around me.

SWTOR is a better game because it intentionally left out several of those trash features. Better loot roll rules, Guild storage, and the UI/Addon stuff would be nice and not increase content consumpion to the point of being detrimental to the health of the game.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.